Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketogenic forum

Options
  • 10-05-2018 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I can't find any, not so many people are following this diet I guess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You need to go to reddit. There's a few subreddits there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:I've moved this to the Nutrition & Diet forum, it's better suited to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Could this be something that could be started on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Would a dedicated thread not suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

there is a vegan and vegetarian board so why not one for people that follow a ketogenic diet?

• Advertisement

there is a vegan and vegetarian board so why not one for people that follow a ketogenic diet?

It's a little more narrow as a topic, I'd have thought.

I'm not really bothered either way but the threads on the topic here aren't exactly overflowing with traffic.

good there is reddit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

No, there doesn't appear to be, mores the pity. Logged on here for the first time in months, was curious to see if there was and found this.
    No, not to many following this sort of HFLC diet/lifestyle as yet but it is gaining momentum, have converted a few folks to that way of thinking in the last 6 months.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    No, there doesn't appear to be, mores the pity. Logged on here for the first time in months, was curious to see if there was and found this.
    No, not to many following this sort of HFLC diet/lifestyle as yet but it is gaining momentum, have converted a few folks to that way of thinking in the last 6 months.

Many people never heard about this diet, I started the diet for health reason and it helped me a lot, I have also lost a lot a weight.
    I was looking for a dietitian in Dublin that helps with this diet but I can't find any, I am doing a lazy keto so I never weight or measure anything, still I am having a lot of positive benefits
    Are you on a strict keto diet, what percentage of fat do you take during your day?

it is also much better with the shopping and cooking, those are two things that I never liked, when I entered in a grocery store I was overwhelmed by all the products and I didn't know what to cook. Too many options. Now it is very easy, people congratulates me about the delicious meal I cook, I can't believe this, my mother can't believe this too...I was a disaster in the kitchen. I just cook meat fish and veg and with the instant pot is very easy. Nothing complicated really. But I really want to improve because at the moment I am cooking a very keto basic meals and I want to learn more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's not enough people following a keto diet for a forum. It's not nearly as common as veganism and vegetarianism combined.
    But no reason you can't have a keto thread in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Mellor wrote: »
    There's not enough people following a keto diet for a forum. It's not nearly as common as veganism and vegetarianism combined.
    But no reason you can't have a keto thread in this forum

Reddit.com/r/vegan has just under 200k subs and /r/vegetarian has 104k subs.

reddit.com/r/keto has 657k subs

Cavey wrote: »
    Reddit.com/r/vegan has just under 200k subs and /r/vegetarian has 104k subs.

reddit.com/r/keto has 657k subs

maybe in Ireland there are not so many people following a ketogenic diet, many of them don't even know what is about

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

maybe in Ireland there are not so many people following a ketogenic diet, many of them don't even know what is about

Yeah agree. All you have to do is look at the great bread shortage during Storm Emma. People are very dependent on carbs here. It would be funny if we weren't second highest for obesity rates in europe :(

Definitely in favor of a keto sub here. Reddit is great and all but having somewhere closer to home to chat about keto friendly places to eat, where you get ingredients and the likes would be great.

Why not start with a thread to demonstrate the level of interest in a sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm definitely trying to cut down on carbs but after looking into it I don't think I could go full keto. The milk in my coffee alone is over half the 20g allowance, and many keto recipes I've found use a lot of eggs and cheese (which as someone with very high cholesterol, I'm supposed to cut down a lot on).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there somewhere to pickup the basics and sample food plans? Most of the youtube stuff is keto v paleo v this v that...A recommended video would be a good start or a book i could read. I would like to research this before deciding if its for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

There's a good forum here - https://www.ketogenicforums.com/

neacy69 wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to pickup the basics and sample food plans? Most of the youtube stuff is keto v paleo v this v that...A recommended video would be a good start or a book i could read. I would like to research this before deciding if its for me.

There are a lot of information in internet regarding ketogenic diet and I found very confusing. At the end I start following the youtuber stephanie Keto person, she is great. She did tons of video and I saw many of them and I took notes meanwhile I was watching them
    I like her because she is teaching a very strict keto and she doesn't promote any carb replacement (so no fake breads or cakes) I was wondering how to increase the amount of fat in my diet and I followed her suggestion, now I drink my fat. Cooking with fat is not enough. In her video she is talking about taking our fat counting the tablespoons we take. If I am not wrong she said we should take 12 tablespoon of fat each day. So I add my fat (coconut oil or MCT oil)in my cup of tea that I drink during the day. At lunch and dinner I add tablespoons of lard to my broth. Then I add to my meals several tablespoon of homemade mayonnaise. This advise was perfect for me because I used to eat every 4 hours, now with this amount of fat I just eat three times a day. No snack, because you don't really need snacks if you are in a ketogenic diet.
    Other thing Stephanie suggests to take in account are food sensitivities. Food intolerances can prevent you to go in ketosis. So you will have to understand if you have some food intolerance
    For this reason she suggests to eat a very basic diet. I essentially eat all kind of fish,meat and low carb vegetables. And of course plenty of fat. I don't eat any diary, grains, beans and fruit (with exception of berries). Stephanie use butter but I use lard, duck fat or beef dripping instead.
    For lunch/dinner I cook fish/meat and with some cooked veg and uncooked veg like salad. When I cook for others that don't follow a ketogenic diet I just add some rice or potatoes. I use an instant pot a lot
    Stephanie also says that circadian rhythms is very important and we should got bed (10 pm)and wake up early (6pm) and in order to balance the cycle she advises wearing blue light blocking glasses from 6pm. I used to go to sleep very late but now I don't do that any more thanks to the glasses. It took several months to adapt.
    I follow a ketogenic diet for medical reason but at the same time I lost more than 20 kilos in less then one year and I am not slave to food anymore, I was carbs addicted. I just eat fresh food now and I don't buy any processed food. My life is much simple now.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

My GP put me on this Keto diet, and I found it very daunting, especially going without bread and potatoes. I am quite hungry, and out of ideas, and have to continue to cook for others in the family, who love their carbs. I couldn't believe that even carrots are out!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

cold case wrote: »
    My GP put me on this Keto diet, and I found it very daunting, especially going without bread and potatoes. I am quite hungry, and out of ideas, and have to continue to cook for others in the family, who love their carbs. I couldn't believe that even carrots are out!![/quo

Sounds tough. What's the typical daily food plan on keto?

My GP put me on this Keto diet, and I found it very daunting, especially going without bread and potatoes. I am quite hungry, and out of ideas, and have to continue to cook for others in the family, who love their carbs. I couldn't believe that even carrots are out!!

if you are hungry is because you are not eating enough fat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

In fairness its probably calories. Which you could say will mostly be fat since its meant to be keto but you still gotta hit certain calories to not be starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi, you shouldn't be hungry at all with keto, get yourself a food tracker and make sure you're doing it properly. You can't push this on your family though...

Start with a strict whole 30 and you'll be fine.

I'd be a stick if I could loose the drink :mad:

When I follow it properly I have never been hungry ( I'm not slim and get hungry a lot).

I'd welcome a forum just for local recipes etc..

I dont count any calories, if I decrease my fat I would need to eat more often

I dont count any calories, if I decrease my fat I would need to eat more often

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

I am so fed up with this diet, i end up just cooking as normal for the family, and i have smaller portions, and cut way down on mashed potatoes rice, spaghetti and no bread. A couple of times I just had 2 fried eggs with grated cheese, that's so boring. Basically, I don't like most of the recipes, even if I could buy the ingredients in the local shops!! Looking at youtube videos, it's as if, if you don't keep all the strict rules, you are not going to loose weight, or even put on weight. Is it normal to be really grumpy going without carbs? Very tempted to give up, even though its my doctor wants me to loose weight. Completely fed up with myself, I was all enthusiastic at the start.

I am hungry most of the time, but the thought of eating more fat? That's just so alien, and what do you do to add fat to a meal, it's like should I put a slice of butter on my plate? And if I manage to eat the fat, surely I will put on weight? I am cooking normally for the rest of the family, because they expect their normal meals, so unless I start from scratch and cook separately for myself, but you're just so starving getting ready dinner for the others, I just feel like I am going to snap!!!

I have loads of apples, peaches, kiwis, and I am drinking plenty of water, for lunch I just have 3 fish fingers with no bread, and black coffee. For dinners I have the meat we are all having, usually fish or chicken, and I have plenty of vegetables, and maybe 5 or 6 chips. I am trawling through the recipes online, and having people cheerfully saying you can make mash from cauliflower makes me want to cry!! I don't think this is for me at all. Hopefully I will loose weight by cutting out bread, potatoes, and all sugary snacks, and maybe I will learn to live with the hunger if I loose some weight. I have managed to loose around half a stone in a couple of weeks, but then someone on youtube said that's just water I've lost!!

Sorry for being so negative, it's the hunger!!! I'll live.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why are you doing it when it is much easier to lose weight with a ‘normal’ diet?

I lost 3 stone while eating 50% carbs - white bread, pasta etc.

Just weigh and record everything you put in your mouth.

I really think this Keto thing is ridiculous.

Why are you doing it when it is much easier to lose weight with a ‘normal’ diet?

I lost 3 stone while eating 50% carbs - white bread, pasta etc.

Just weigh and record everything you put in your mouth.

I really think this Keto thing is ridiculous.

If you treat it as a way to reduce caloric intake, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Some people find it the best way to achieve their weight loss, that's adherence is easier. Nothing ridiculous about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I am so fed up with this diet, i end up just cooking as normal for the family, and i have smaller portions, and cut way down on mashed potatoes rice, spaghetti and no bread. A couple of times I just had 2 fried eggs with grated cheese, that's so boring. Basically, I don't like most of the recipes, even if I could buy the ingredients in the local shops!! Looking at youtube videos, it's as if, if you don't keep all the strict rules, you are not going to loose weight, or even put on weight. Is it normal to be really grumpy going without carbs? Very tempted to give up, even though its my doctor wants me to loose weight. Completely fed up with myself, I was all enthusiastic at the start.

I am hungry most of the time, but the thought of eating more fat? That's just so alien, and what do you do to add fat to a meal, it's like should I put a slice of butter on my plate? And if I manage to eat the fat, surely I will put on weight? I am cooking normally for the rest of the family, because they expect their normal meals, so unless I start from scratch and cook separately for myself, but you're just so starving getting ready dinner for the others, I just feel like I am going to snap!!!

I have loads of apples, peaches, kiwis, and I am drinking plenty of water, for lunch I just have 3 fish fingers with no bread, and black coffee. For dinners I have the meat we are all having, usually fish or chicken, and I have plenty of vegetables, and maybe 5 or 6 chips. I am trawling through the recipes online, and having people cheerfully saying you can make mash from cauliflower makes me want to cry!! I don't think this is for me at all. Hopefully I will loose weight by cutting out bread, potatoes, and all sugary snacks, and maybe I will learn to live with the hunger if I loose some weight. I have managed to loose around half a stone in a couple of weeks, but then someone on youtube said that's just water I've lost!!

Sorry for being so negative, it's the hunger!!! I'll live.....

No offense but it doesn't sound like you're currently eating a Keto diet

Advertisement