Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Getting worried about Banana
    He has not been on in a few days
    Is he upside down in a ditch somewhere do we need to send out a search party ?
    J

Maybe he swapped his bike for an electric bicycle, just stuck all those farings you see for sale on adverts onto it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

goblin59 wrote: »
    Maybe he swapped his bike for an electric bicycle, just stuck all those farings you see for sale on adverts onto it
    Nah he would not be so cruel after all the effort put into it :-)
    I would hope he is out travelling the countryside waiting for the miserly engine to run out of juice
    Long may she run :-)
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Getting worried about Banana
    He has not been on in a few days
    Is he upside down in a ditch somewhere do we need to send out a search party ?
    J

A 125 wouldn't have the power to get upside down :pac:

A 125 wouldn't have the power to get upside down :pac:
    Maybe going downhill if you slammed on the front brake hard enough you could get it to topple over :-) sorry Banana :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

No legal requirements, but do me a favour...

Take your shoe off right now.
    Grab the heel with one hand, and the toe with your other hand.
    Now bend them together.

Now imagine your foot inside that shoe if you come off the bike.

Now you know why bike boots are reinforced :D

How do these look?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAL-LEATHER-HIGH-TECH-MENS-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-RACING-SHORT-SPORTS-BOOTS-RAXID/323397924869?hash=item4b4c04b805:g:-fYAAOSwyeJbdCpQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-motorcycle-boots-size-10-used/174353566689?hash=item2898484be1:g:gOMAAOSw6NdfEyiY

They don't like they could protect the foot from being squashed , but maybe Im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

BruteStock wrote: »

Is there a reason you are considering these over a more conventional style boot?

The design here is a case of form over function. Get a boot with shin protection and good ankle protection preventing twisting. Boots have CE ratings, look into something that offers good protection across all the categories.

Much better :-)

BruteStock wrote: »
    Guys , i have a question about boots. . I need boots for IBT training and eventually foe when i sit the test.

Are these type of boots allowed or is there a specific type I am only allowed to wear due to regulations or whatever?

Ever tripped over your own shoe from tying your shoelace sloppy?

Imagine that on a bike.

Try and get something with zips or straps.
    i like shin protection as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're right. My son started riding at 16

and a bit later he discovered motorcycles :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The sister in law is looking to get a scoot, it's changed since I got a licence, fill out a form and away you go. With a full drivers, legally can she hop on a bike that goes under 45 or does she have to go through the IBT

hairyslug wrote: »
    The sister in law is looking to get a scoot, it's changed since I got a licence, fill out a form and away you go. With a full drivers, legally can she hop on a bike that goes under 45 or does she have to go through the IBT

Depends on when she got her full license.

Possible a very stupid question but can I do my IBT category A if I don't have that category on my Learner Permit? I only have category A1 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Possible a very stupid question but can I do my IBT category A if I don't have that category on my Learner Permit? I only have category A1 on it.

I don't think so, I done the first day of my IBT at the weekend and one of the very first checks they do is to make sure the Permit matches what IBT you are looking to do.

Some people say there's no such think as a stupid question....:D

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Some people say there's no such think as a stupid question....:D

True just stupid people, not that I'd know anyone like that :-D

Does anyone know if a Honda CBR650F is suitable for the Cat A Test?

It's not on the RSA List at all, usually they will say its not suitable but I can't see any mention of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't see why not, over 595cc and easily meets the power and weight requirements.

Scrap the cap!

Can't see why not, over 595cc and easily meets the power and weight requirements.

I thought the same but wasn't sure when I couldn't find it on the RSA List

• Registered Users Posts: 13 InvoXx

Hey guys :)

Just wanted to share, I finally got my IBT done today, and I even was brave enough to have my first solo ride from Cork City to Blarney and back :)

I am in Cork City, so if you see me on a green Kawa ER6N and I don't wave back, I am probably too busy with clutch, so please don't think I am rude :D

So happy tonight, wow! Been dreaming about that since 2002, so 18 years later I finally did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Fair play lad! No time like the present enjoy the road :)

InvoXx wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

Just wanted to share, I finally got my IBT done today, and I even was brave enough to have my first solo ride from Cork City to Blarney and back :)

I am in Cork City, so if you see me on a green Kawa ER6N and I don't wave back, I am probably too busy with clutch, so please don't think I am rude :D

So happy tonight, wow! Been dreaming about that since 2002, so 18 years later I finally did it!
    congratulations on getting your IBT out of the way :-)
    J

Congrats and safe riding

Anyone else have to resort to the winter gloves over the weekend ?

Went out for a scoot on Saturday and my fingers and forearms were freezing
    When I got home I put the liner back in the jacket and got out the winter gloves :-( its on its way

Changed the clutch cable and lever after dropping it last week and off to Bray seafront for a scoot Sunday morning :-)
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Went out for a scoot on Saturday and my fingers and forearms were freezing
    When I got home I put the liner back in the jacket and got out the winter gloves :-( its on its way

Changed the clutch cable and lever after dropping it last week and off to Bray seafront for a scoot Sunday morning :-)
    J

Yeah went out for a spin Saturday morning. Felt the chill alright need to get a neck warmer.

No, but i wish i did.
    was out until 10pm on saturday and the bike was showing it as 2 degrees.

Thank **** for heated grips, installed barkbusters on the bike yesterday, so should see a difference.

No, but i wish i did.
    was out until 10pm on saturday and the bike was showing it as 2 degrees.

Thank **** for heated grips, installed barkbusters on the bike yesterday, so should see a difference.

You lucky boy :-)
    Yep Heated grips and barkbusters on the list :-)

You lucky boy :-)
    Yep Heated grips and barkbusters on the list :-)

yeah the grips were stock on the F650, but should have gotten the bark busters sooner!

yeah the grips were stock on the F650, but should have gotten the bark busters sooner!

Had a look on sportsbike direct a while ago and there seemed to be a few different ones was a little bit confusing why oxford make several
    touring / Cruiser / commuter / advanced touring / premium / etc etc
    From €40 up to about €80

Had a look on sportsbike direct a while ago and there seemed to be a few different ones was a little bit confusing why oxford make several
    touring / Cruiser / commuter / advanced touring / premium / etc etc
    From €40 up to about €80

Couldn't tell you why its different, but just make sure you wire them with a trigger wire so they switch off with the ignition

• Advertisement

Couldn't tell you why its different, but just make sure you wire them with a trigger wire so they switch off with the ignition

Pretty sure all the Oxford ones have a built in relay. Mine did.

Pretty sure all the Oxford ones have a built in relay. Mine did.

Battery saving mode
    does it work
    has it ever drained the battery on it Jimmy ?

Battery saving mode
    does it work
    has it ever drained the battery on it Jimmy ?

Not once, and I had them on for about four years.
    They were so good that I'm tempted to replace the fairly recently purchased grips on the Blackbird with another Oxford set.

Not once, and I had them on for about four years.
    They were so good that I'm tempted to replace the fairly recently purchased grips on the Blackbird with another Oxford set.

Sounds like a good plan :-)
    Try get the sorted before the winter really kicks in

Do you get out much in the winter?

Hoping to finish IBT in the next 2 weeks so looking to buy a bike once that's out of the way.

Hopefully will be some good days left to get in some practice

This will be my first winter on a bike in many many years
    Hopefully we will get a few more weeks of dry weather
    Bought my bike at end of July and been out almost every day and there were some sweltering days alright
    But it is getting a bit cooler now and prob wont get out much in the rain as i have the car for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If ye are winter riding boys I suggest you invest in barkbuster blizzard's as well as heated grips. The grips won't do much by themselves if the wind is blowing the heat away.

This will be my first winter on a bike in many many years
    Hopefully we will get a few more weeks of dry weather
    Bought my bike at end of July and been out almost every day and there were some sweltering days alright
    But it is getting a bit cooler now and prob wont get out much in the rain as i have the car for that

It's only rain FFS LOL. Everyone should spend a winter riding, you learn more then than in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

TobinIT wrote: »
    Do you get out much in the winter?

Hoping to finish IBT in the next 2 weeks so looking to buy a bike once that's out of the way.

Hopefully will be some good days left to get in some practice

I'm in the same boat!
    Doing IBT next week

• Advertisement

garlad wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat!
    Doing IBT next week

Nice, have you both days booked in?

What are you hoping to get afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

TobinIT wrote: »
    Nice, have you both days booked in?

What are you hoping to get afterwards?

Doing 4 half days Tue-Thu
    Was originally looking at one of Hornet/Bandit/FZ6N but now looking at SV650 (2005-2008).

You?

garlad wrote: »
    Doing 4 half days Tue-Thu
    Was originally looking at one of Hornet/Bandit/FZ6N but now looking at SV650 (2005-2008).

You?

Currently looking at a CBR650f as I prefer the sports look but they are more of a sports tourer than an outright sportsbike

Eh, wheres banana?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

zubair wrote: »
    Eh, wheres banana?

Was wondering that myself!!

Haven't seen him in here for a few weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

I was on a road up by Tullamore last weekend and an oncoming cruiser was at full chat up a hill being overtaken by a van, I like to think it was Banana.

I was on a road up by Tullamore last weekend and an oncoming cruiser was at full chat up a hill being overtaken by a van, I like to think it was Banana.

XD

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

I pm-ed him last week (or the week before) and no reply so far. Said to myself that he was taking a break from the boards but it's looking a bit "strange" now....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Still no word from Banana, his marauder wasn't green by chance was it. :eek:

Nah his one was black and in a lot better condition thankfully, that one looks rough

• Advertisement
Advertisement