Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cill94 wrote: »
    I think the science of it digesting slower is pretty certain, but as for direct evidence that it will actually lead to better gains than other protein sources, that’s more hazy. Human nutrition studies are a pain to control.

In the grand scheme, any benefit it could confer is really tiny compared to total daily protein intake and protein quality.

I wasn't saying it wasn't a slower digesting protein. More just talking about the benefits over and above a cheaper protein, such as whey, when taken at night.

Also, I just saw that my phone corrected 'leucine' to 'medicine'. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Interesting write up of a new study on intermittent fasting published in JAMA Internal Med

NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/well/eat/a-potential-downside-of-intermittent-fasting.html?surface=most-popular&fellback=false&req_id=379594767&algo=bandit-all-surfaces&imp_id=878349551&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage

JAMA: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2771095?guestAccessKey=444bbcb2-7e13-4dc6-998f-5de5e27aa19e&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=092820

Question What is the effect of time-restricted eating on weight loss and metabolic health in patients with overweight and obesity?

Findings In this prospective randomized clinical trial that included 116 adults with overweight or obesity, time-restricted eating was associated with a modest decrease (1.17%) in weight that was not significantly different from the decrease in the control group (0.75%).

Meaning Time-restricted eating did not confer weight loss or cardiometabolic benefits in this study.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which is exactly for most people have said for years.
    It's an effective means to cut calories. Not some way of bending physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This may be of interest to some. Some very good reading in here.

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN30714-FM_7-22-000-WEB-1.pdf

The chapters on Sleep, and chapter 5, Periodization, talking about training cycles and programming are particular highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Did anyone else's gym become full of teenage girls with fake tan and huge eyelashes recently? They all seem to try and do squats etc without ever really looking like they know what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Did anyone else's gym become full of teenage girls with fake tan and huge eyelashes recently? They all seem to try and do squats etc without ever really looking like they know what they're doing.

Probably saw their favourite influencer doing them in order to 'tone and sculpt'.

In fairness though, last part in bold describes majority of people in the gym.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Probably saw their favourite influencer doing them in order to 'tone and sculpt'.

In fairness though, last part in bold describes majority of people in the gym.

Last part was certainly me for a long time after I started going to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't know who he is, just looks impressive how easy he makes it look

https://twitter.com/wscstrength/status/1315452158679154690

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The USAPL insta page shared this recently. Don't care if it's equipped; nobody should be able to disrespect 410kg like that

The USAPL insta page shared this recently. Don't care if it's equipped; nobody should be able to disrespect 410kg like that

You should see what he does with 435kg (second lift) here.

Has the decency to be a bit slower with 447kg. A bit...

Bonus footage of him taking the American C&J record at the '04 Olympics at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Whats the life expectancy of these guys? their sheer size can be good for their heart?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

We'll find out in a few years, I guess.

Dunno about Shane, but loads of huge powerlifters/strongmen intentionally lose weight after they retire. You have the likes of Mark Bell who used to be a massive SHW that competed in bodybuilding last year. Eddie Hall has lost a ton of weight since winning WSM. Big Z still competes but lost a good bit of weight a while back too.

Eating for performance.

Lasha won't hit a 500kg total if he starts cutting weight.

And hitting 500kg is likely a lot more important than long-term helf.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dunno about Shane, but loads of huge powerlifters/strongmen intentionally lose weight after they retire. .

It's probably more a case of no longer actively training, eating all around them and juicing in order to be huge. Look at Dorian Yates these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

silverharp wrote: »
    Whats the life expectancy of these guys? their sheer size can be good for their heart?

Probably not. Steroids likely don't help either.

High level athletes have always prioritised performance over health though.

You've got to be kidding me.. I stubbed my toe yesterday of the couch and woke up this morning with a black and blue little toe. X-ray shows it's fractured.

Can put on socks and runners grand and hobble around so don't care much but I was doing so well with my deadlifts. And I was meant to go do them today.

A couch like. Wtf.

You've got to be kidding me.. I stubbed my toe yesterday of the couch and woke up this morning with a black and blue little toe. X-ray shows it's fractured.

Can put on socks and runners grand and hobble around so don't care much but I was doing so well with my deadlifts. And I was meant to go do them today.

A couch like. Wtf.

Can you definitely not do anything? Did a number on my little toe maybe 2 years ago and it was reasonably ok on deadlifts. Sorer on squats though

Can you definitely not do anything? Did a number on my little toe maybe 2 years ago and it was reasonably ok on deadlifts. Sorer on squats though

Maybe. I'll go the gym on Thursday for a chest day and test how the foot feels with bumper plates.

Hoping I can continue with the progress I was making. I hurt my knee last year and couldn't do DL and it killed my motivation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Can anyone tell me... Are all those rubber hex dumbbells sold by all these different companies actually basically the same item?

Has anyone ever noticed a difference in the type of hex dumbbells I'm talking about from different companies?

Maybe. I'll go the gym on Thursday for a chest day and test how the foot feels with bumper plates.

Hoping I can continue with the progress I was making. I hurt my knee last year and couldn't do DL and it killed my motivation.

Not sure what difference bumpers will make.

If you can, deadlift in your socks so that when the toes spread, it's not being pushed against a shoe so it won't be as bad.

• Advertisement

Not sure what difference bumpers will make.

If you can, deadlift in your socks so that when the toes spread, it's not being pushed against a shoe so it won't be as bad.

I just meant that I didn't want to use 20kg plates off the bat as a tester and I need the height from the bumper plates.

Yeah could try just socks. It's a Viet gym. Some guys do their entire workouts barefoot. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think a mod needs to clean this thread up - no talk of people accessing gyms please, should be banned atm tbh :P:P:P

Or spoiler tags at least so we can all brace ourselves for the tears and wailing.

Can anyone tell me... Are all those rubber hex dumbbells sold by all these different companies actually basically the same item?

Has anyone ever noticed a difference in the type of hex dumbbells I'm talking about from different companies?

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference in any of them. Maybe the degree of fatness of the middle of the handle but that's very minor

Belkin pulls 445kg at a BW of 103kg. Beltless, as per.

His only attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Belkin pulls 445kg at a BW of 103kg. Beltless, as per.

His only attempt.

This guy annoys me, imagine how much he could lift if he Eddie Halled it and spent 18 months ballooning up to 400 lb. Sure sleeping and moving and travel and breathing and living might be hard but could break the world record.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

From the thumbnail I thought average Joe in the adidas shorts was gona rock up and lift it, got some shock with the size of the boy Belkin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I see Larry Wheels and Michael Todd do these bench press into sit-up into overhead press movements. Look very hard. Anyone try these?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I see Larry Wheels and Michael Todd do these bench press into sit-up into overhead press movements. Look very hard. Anyone try these?

Got a video?

Sounds extremely difficult.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Apart from showing off, I really don't see the point. But it would look pretty cool if you got it right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement