Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think every post service outside of China hates it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Clareman wrote: »
    I think every post service outside of China hates it :D

Absolutely. The UPU was established in 1874... World has moved on and there are different challenges.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Considering everything on Aliexpress and Wish is just cheap knockoff junk its hardly a worry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

But you won't be drunk browzing and then get a surprise 6 months later when it arrives in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Considering everything on Aliexpress and Wish is just cheap knockoff junk its hardly a worry.

I wouldn't touch anything high-end on Aliexpress. But it is very handy if you need to get a few small bits and pieces - nuts, plugs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

grogi wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch anything high-end on Aliexpress. But it is very handy if you need to get a few small bits and pieces - nuts, plugs etc.

Oh absolutely but the volume of **** having to be carried by the likes of An Post virtually for free is growing all the time.

I know if I'm buying stuff from China with free shipping I'll always keep them as separate orders as there's no additional cost to me and there's a chance that some parts will get through quicker than others, that's an additional cost to An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I can recommend the Teckin plugs, have 3 of them and they are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Smart 3 plug power strip for £11.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083HX1BFM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

discounts on Amazon products, incl Ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Smart 3 plug power strip for £11.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083HX1BFM

All gone and price up was over £18 for used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

grogi wrote: »

I've bought an Alarm system, CCTV system, multiple phones, never an issue.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone have any spare Hue Bridges bought from starter pack deals? Mine is possibly giving up (constantly saying "offline", can't add devices to it), and hue support is pretty much non existent in Ireland.

Didn't expect them to be €50 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

Anyone have any spare Hue Bridges bought from starter pack deals? Mine is possibly giving up (constantly saying "offline", can't add devices to it), and hue support is pretty much non existent in Ireland.

Didn't expect them to be €50 either.

Yep I have 2 spares. Based in North Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Started using the Tradafri items from Ikea and find them amazingly reliable for the past month.

I have 7 bulbs, 7 dimmers and the remote all linked into my HomeKit connected via Hue Bridge and its great! And I think I have saved a good few euro on the process.
    Now just hoping for some colour bulbs from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭deezell

This Motorola PTZ mini camera for only €50 from Lidl on Thursday, plus €5 off if you signup/use their new loyalty card €5 off €25 offer.

522110.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

deezell wrote: »
    This Motorola PTZ mini camera for only €50 from Lidl on Thursday, plus €5 off if you signup/use their new loyalty card €5 off €25 offer.

Does it record or just stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Alkers wrote: »
    Does it record or just stream?

I doubt there is cloud but possible sd slot would need to see specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭deezell

I doubt there is cloud but possible sd slot would need to see specs

Records on demand from the Motorola Hubble app.. Records from motion detect to the cloud, €2.99 sub for 5 day events. Free sub just gves alerts with a still. I assume when watching on the app you can record, but how to automate this without a sub I'm not sure. It's a baby/pet monitor type of device. Amazon reviews are not great tbh. No SD card That I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This looks like a good deal.

TP-Link Deco M5 Gigabit Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack - £102.21 Delivered (£98 w/ fee free card) @ Amazon Italy

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tp-link-deco-m5-gigabit-whole-home-wifi-system-triple-pack-ps10221-ps99-fee-free-at-amazon-italy-3521744#comment-41621383

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers. Took a few days to migrate over from Alexa dot, but a decent upgrade. Voice matching for multiple people in a household adding items to a common shopping list was a pain. Adding home automation was a dark art, but got there in the end and it's working well. The occasional reboot is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭jones

How does the big lenovo compare to the next hub max? I'm toying with the idea of a smart display for the kitchen already have multiple mini's and nest products. normally i would just go with the max but there is a huge price difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Google products get regular updates and new features... this is not guarunteed with Lenovo... for instance, the new zoom features on the nest max are not availble on the lenovo and its not clear whether they ever will be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Google products get regular updates and new features... this is not guarunteed with Lenovo... for instance, the new zoom features on the nest max are not availble on the lenovo and its not clear whether they ever will be...

Yeah, that's the really annoying thing with non Googe manufactured devices. I have some Harmon Jardin speakers with Googe assistant, but they don't support duo calling fr example. Google.are sneaky that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Bluefoam wrote: »

Yeah, that's the really annoying thing with non Googe manufactured devices. I have some Harmon Jardin speakers with Googe assistant, but they don't support duo calling fr example. Google.are sneaky that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://store.google.com/product/google_nest_hub

Also saw the Google Home is down to £39.99 on the Curry's UK website in case anyone missed it in Bargain Alerts. Yes a new one is on the way but for €50 quid or so once you factor in Parcel Motel it's a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Also saw the Google Home is down to £39.99 on the Curry's UK website in case anyone missed it in Bargain Alerts. Yes a new one is on the way but for €50 quid or so once you factor in Parcel Motel it's a great price.

Can also get the home speaker in Curry's Ireland for €50.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-starter-kits/google-home-white-10161441-pdt.html?awc=5297_1598447079_cc5fd2fe6c6ddc996c87528da548416c&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Brilliant - was hunting down a second hub! - is there a new one of these on the way too- or just the google home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭jones

I was going to get a google hub max at some point in the future but for this price hard to resist the standard hub.

ps new google home on the way?

edit i forgot i read about the new home coming shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Shlippery wrote: »
    Brilliant - was hunting down a second hub! - is there a new one of these on the way too- or just the google home?

I don't think there's a new device with a screen on the way but I could be wrong. I'm overly kitted out with the Google Home, multiple mini's, the Hub Max & several Lenovo Smart Clocks but the Hub will be good on the fridge in the kitchen. Older devices are good to give away to family members that don't yet have a smart device.

35% off Hue Starter kits on Amazon today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

35% off Hue Starter kits on Amazon today...

Hmmmm.... need a couple of GU10s. Wonder if there'll be a better offer in the revised prime day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OU812 wrote: »
    Hmmmm.... need a couple of GU10s. Wonder if there'll be a better offer in the revised prime day

Yup I need 4 more gu10’s to finish off the house but don’t really want to buy a 3 pack with hub and a single bulb also had some other purchases to make this month meaning the credit card’s a little worse for wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Yup I need 4 more gu10’s to finish off the house but don’t really want to buy a 3 pack with hub and a single bulb also had some other purchases to make this month meaning the credit card’s a little worse for wear.

Just moved house and needed a lot of GU10... ordered GLEDOPTO from AliExpress. Working flawlessly with hue bridge. Just a consideration for ye. Have their lightstips too and highly recommend.

I bought in batches of 8 and as they are packed tightly, they skipped customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Just moved house and needed a lot of GU10... ordered GLEDOPTO from AliExpress. Working flawlessly with hue bridge. Just a consideration for ye. Have their lightstips too and highly recommend.

Have you a link to the exact ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Which ones did you get? Wide angle or spot?

ted1 wrote: »

I got these (120 degrees)

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZNzE0G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus

One of the comments on that page mentions a 2 second lag at power on.
    Is that the case with these?

• Advertisement

sundodger5 wrote: »
    One of the comments on that page mentions a 2 second lag at power on.
    Is that the case with these?

I don't notice any lag but my lights are (mostly) triggered from motion sensors (using home assistant automation) so maybe I just don't notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Single Eufycam 2c down £18 to £71.99 on Amazon UK.
    Lowest it’s ever been was £69.99.

eufy Security eufyCam 2C Wireless Home Security Add-on Camera, Requires HomeBase 2, 180-Day Battery Life, HD 1080p, No Monthly Fee https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XCC3GDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pmotFbYAHKXG4

15%-20% vouchers on Eufy starter packs & the wireless doorbells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ted1 wrote: »

Does anyone know what the beam angle is with standard HUE GU10. These look great and AFAIK these work with HUE app and homekit.
    Maybe you can confirm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

38 I believe

Does anyone know what the beam angle is with standard HUE GU10. These look great and AFAIK these work with HUE app and homekit.
    Maybe you can confirm :)

What I can say is I've placed 4 in a row on a hall approx 4m long and 1.4m wide and the Gledopto GU10s light it perfectly (and evenly!)

What I can say is I've placed 4 in a row on a hall approx 4m long and 1.4m wide and the Gledopto GU10s light it perfectly (and evenly!)

Did you put in the 30° or the 120° bulbs :)

Did you put in the 30° or the 120° bulbs :)

From earlier post...

From earlier post...

Stupid me not reading post properly :D

Edit: Also forgot to ask. does anyone know if these bulbs work with hue switches :) . I cant find anything on reddit etc

Stupid me not reading post properly :D

Edit: Also forgot to ask. does anyone know if these bulbs work with hue switches :) . I cant find anything on reddit etc

Yes, they add as just another bulb so can be controlled as such.

2 Differences.... they don't take software updates VIA Hue (to be expected)
    You cannot control their "power on behaviour"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Single Eufycam 2c down £18 to £71.99 on Amazon UK.
    Lowest it’s ever been was £69.99.

eufy Security eufyCam 2C Wireless Home Security Add-on Camera, Requires HomeBase 2, 180-Day Battery Life, HD 1080p, No Monthly Fee https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XCC3GDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pmotFbYAHKXG4

15%-20% vouchers on Eufy starter packs & the wireless doorbells.

Only spotting this today, but I've a tracker on this for some time and bought 2 on Monday (I got the Video Doorbell a few weeks back so the single cams were exactly what I needed, no extra hubs required :D ) They're due to arrive today, super excited!!! :D:D

Has anyone had these set up for a while now and can give some feedback on responsiveness of motion detection-to-video? And battery life - seen some posts that's it's closer to 30 days than 180 (my doorbell battery will probably last about 100 days based on current battery level and time it's been up - first cycle)

• Advertisement
Advertisement