Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government flip flops / school closures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Bobtheman wrote: »
    She wouldn't be. But nowadays it's all about optics. Lisa Chambers = female. I agree with gender quotas for Dail elections but not for the cabinet. It can be hard enough to get 15 capable people from a government of between 80-90 seats without further complicating it by saying you have people from all four provinces and have to have so many females.

Quotas of any kind are a disgrace in my book .....you should get there on competency to do the job...........

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

ethical wrote: »
    You mean the Egotists that have sat on their butts since last March and have contributed nothing to the teachers on the frontline!

Do you honestly expect them to contribute,working remotely,on their "funded" home office and state of the art laptops?

Take that back!
    As I reported on another thread, the expert in teaching who inspected me and pointed out my many failings is currently very very VERY busy.
    Very busy inspecting schools to make sure they're doing a good job of preventing disease transmission. So no time for teaching, obviously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

Take that back!
    As I reported on another thread, the expert in teaching who inspected me and pointed out my many failings is currently very very VERY busy.
    Very busy inspecting schools to make sure they're doing a good job of preventing disease transmission. So no time for teaching, obviously...

Love this. All hail the inspectorate.... and the JCT...and the Dept...and Norma....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Take that back!

They obviously won’t be needed for this if school buildings remain physically closed though
    They will ramp up the child protection inspections instead no doubt
    Despite providing no national guidance on how to overcome the many Gdpr/child protection issues associated with live streaming , satellite rooms etc etc
    Oh sorry they did
    “Update your policies “
    That’s grand so. Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ya couldn't the inspectorate offer 'masterclasses' that students could sign up for and attend on zoom. They are the experts after all :pac:

It's a tragedy that we don't get to avail of their knowledge and experience in this difficult year. :pac:

We had an inspection a few years ago and they praised my schemes of work but offered some suggestions as to how they could be improved. I asked him would that be in the report...he said it would.

So I said “why don’t you just release the best scheme in the world so that we can all follow it and not only will our students benefit, but so will teachers as it’ll cut down on our workload”.

The response? “We don’t want to take away each schools’ freedom to implement a policy that best suits them”. So I said “we’re on a hiding to nothing then? At least if you had your template in place, I could either follow it, or explain why I chose not to and state why my students would benefit from doing it in a slightly different way”.

He said he would come back to me. Lesson learned is that inspectorate aren’t educators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Norma & the ‘spokespeople’ having a tele conference re schools....says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Icsics wrote: »

But she didn't make the cut for the meeting tomorrow about actually making the decision to open/close schools. finance, health, public expenditure, NPHET and HSE will all be there. Morto for her.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

scrubs33 wrote: »
    But she didn't make the cut for the meeting tomorrow about actually making the decision to open/close schools. finance, health, public expenditure, NPHET and HSE will all be there. Morto for her.
    Norma is in Knock, praying for a massive snow storm so that she can claim that's the reasons school buildings aren't open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That is a bit embarassing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Norma is in Knock, praying for a massive snow storm so that she can claim that's the reasons school buildings aren't open.

Maybe the decision is already made!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

I would assume most school principals would be already implementing online-based solutions. It shouldn't be necessary to wait for a decision. Put in place the solutions now, and you will be ready for whatever happens next week.
    To reason that schools can't get online from Wednesday so as to keep the show on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Norma needs to be asked to resign if schools aren't all fully open. She really is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Icsics wrote: »

They should have it in a school, then they'd be safe. :D

Wow. That says it all really.

I'd say all of NPHET are with her, it's the only thing that will keep people indoors.

• Advertisement

You know it should be possible to get kids back to school on the 11th if it was done on a phase and rotational basis. Certainly it should be the priority to get senior cycle students back even on a rotational basis. For example, divide class into cohorts and cohorts attend on an alternating basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

My issue with this is that it is too late in the day - this is one of the areas that should have formed part of contingency plans. Have high risk teachers been collated so a system can be put in place whereby high risk teachers wfh and provide online while schools open for front line workers and I presume special schools. Given the wide definition of essential workers it could mean quite a lot of children in school. A logistical nightmare to implement in such a short time frame. Will it be let up to schools to try and cater for both groups. If this had been flagged in September as a possibility and potential children identified - schools would be in a much better position to have it sorted.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    My issue with this is that it is too late in the day - this is one of the areas that should have formed part of contingency plans. Have high risk teachers been collated so a system can be put in place whereby high risk teachers wfh and provide online while schools open for front line workers and I presume special schools. Given the wide definition of essential workers it means quite a lot of children in school. A logistical nightmare to implement in such a short time frame. Will it be let up to schools to try and cater for both groups.

It’s unworkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

km79 wrote: »
    It’s unworkable

At this point - far far to messy to implement at this late stage. If this gies ahead then it will create huge issues for access to education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Leave them off for 2 weeks,and get the time back at Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Norma needs to be asked to resign if schools aren't all fully open. She really is rubbish.

Totally agree. She was taking the kudos when they were open and declaring it a success (rather than just thanking caretakers for fcuking everything bar tables and chairs our). Therefore not reopening is failure and she should step down.

Just got an email from the TUI area rep that said TUI have recommended reopening on Jan 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept what a day if mixed messages, he said, she said and utter ineptitude from government ministers. Seems the instructions from the powers that be is "we are guided by public health advice", no they are not, no they haven't, if they had, this mess would not have been allowed to be created in the first place. What utterly shocking is Leaky Leo & Co have been saying for months, Government make decisions, not these buffoons are saying it should be a NPHET decision. Mother of God is there no end to this appalling incompetence.

3 weeks of Christmas chaos, as I type 6000 new cases, just appalling.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You know it should be possible to get kids back to school on the 11th if it was done on a phase and rotational basis. Certainly it should be the priority to get senior cycle students back even on a rotational basis. For example, divide class into cohorts and cohorts attend on an alternating basis.

I'd disagree. If they are going to shut, just shut them for the duration of the restrictions and we all know where we stand. Partial opening for many students who probably wouldn't come in anyway is just an exercise in optics. The LCs as far as I'm concerned anyway have plenty to occupy them with mocks coming up. The problem here is just fear of making a decision.

Just got an email from the TUI area rep that said TUI have recommended reopening on Jan 18th

I'm not sure unions are really in a position to recommend the specifics of actions in the middle of a pandemic, unless they are employing independent and top quality medical advice. By all means look for evidence, assurances etc. but I'd stand back and avoid being part of any train crash.

I think people are being a little harsh on the government. The message is pretty clear - a decision will be made on Wednesday based on an analysis by NPET as to whether it is safe for schools to resume. The government are taking a nuanced, evidence-based approach rather than pre-supposing schools are not safe.

If the evidence suggests that schools are safe, then it is perfectly reasonable that schools should resume on Monday 11th. We need to make decisions based on the science not on popular perceptions of what is safe and what isn't.

A decision will be made on Wednesday - end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be interesting to see if it's full educational closure or 3rd level continues as usual online. Or will creches and primary close or partial opening? Will secondary go online or some blended learning option.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Rosita wrote: »
    I'm not sure unions are really in a position to recommend the specifics of actions in the middle of a pandemic, unless they are employing independent and top quality medical advice. By all means look for evidence, assurances etc. but I'd stand back and avoid being part of any train crash.

I agree, how did they come up with the 18th would be my first question ?

Desperately looking like they are trying to do something or appear somehow relevant......my next question would be how is this suggestion in their rank n file/ordinary members best interests.......do they recommend this for all (especially given they represent 3rd level) ...one would imagine a one size fits all policy doesn't work across 3rd and second etc

I think people are being a little harsh on the government. The message is pretty clear - a decision will be made on Wednesday based on an analysis by NPET as to whether it is safe for schools to resume. The government are taking a nuanced, evidence-based approach rather than pre-supposing schools are not safe.

If the evidence suggests that schools are safe, then it is perfectly reasonable that schools should resume on Monday 11th. We need to make decisions based on the science not on popular perceptions of what is safe and what isn't.

We have no idea how many of the people that have been diagnosed with covid in the last week are teachers and students. If we are going to be seeing numbers like this evening for the next week or so, then there's only so much we can do in schools.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    I agree, how did they come up with the 18th would be my first question ?

Desperately looking like they are trying to do something or appear somehow relevant...

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest to stay closed for another week (whether that's closed in the holiday sense or move to online teaching) to see if there is any decrease in the number of cases.

The general vibe on the thread here for the last few days is that there is no way schools can open on the 11th. Not sure why its so surprising then that one of the teaching unions have recommended just that.

The government are taking a nuanced, evidence-based approach rather than pre-supposing schools are not safe.

/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't think any of us thought they were just going to guess. We would probably assume that evidence would come into play.

The disrepute occurs when you have someone like Josepha Madigan going on the radio today saying that schools are safe and that they will open on Monday. All she has to say is acknowledge the reality that is now widespread gossip and say "it's under review in the circumstances and we'll communicate a decision in good time". A government spokesperson blatantly saying stuff we know to be a holding position with probably little truth is what makes people go hard on the government.

Same sh*te as last March when it was "schools won't close, schools won't close, schools won't close" and then suddenly not only were schools closing but were closing that day and you didn't even get until the following day to get organised.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest to stay closed for another week (whether that's closed in the holiday sense or move to online teaching) to see if there is any decrease in the number of cases.

Not unreasonable maybe but why bother? What will they do on the 18th - start giving weekly updates on what they think? It's a bit weird for a union to make a comment like that on the eve of a government announcement, and especially in the teeth of such infection spread of which, I would assume, they have no expertise. Unless of course they know that the government are going to announce "nothing to see here, full steam ahead in schools on Monday" and they think it shouldn't happen.

The government are taking a nuanced, evidence-based approach rather than pre-supposing schools are not safe.

/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't think any of us thought they were just going to guess. We would probably assume that evidence would come into play.

The disrepute occurs when you have someone like Josepha Madigan going on the radio today saying that schools are safe and that they will open on Monday. All she has to say is acknowledge the reality that us now widespread gossip and say "it's under review in the circumstances and we'll communicate a decision in good time". A government spokesperson blatantly saying stuff we know to be a holding position with probably little truth is what makes people go hard on the government.

Same sh*te as last March when it was "schools won't close, schools won't close, schools won't close" and then suddenly not only were schools closing but were closing that day and you didn't even get until the following day to get organised.

I disagree. The position as of right now is that schools are schedule to reopen on January 11th. Minister Madigan was simply affirming the policy that schools reopen. That is the position, and that is what she outlined.

If she were to say the decision was under review, it would create even more uncertainty as it would be unclear when schools are reopening.

Everyone has certainty at the moment - plan for January 11th return to school. If there is a change in policy, then at least everyone will have been prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

I think people aren't being harsh enough on the Govt. And given the situation we're in, being a Govt apologist is rather absurd.

This has been going on for 10 long months. The LC of 2020 turned into a major fiasco because the then Minister made it up as he went along. Aided and abetted by his overlords in the Dail. The LC will go ahead "by hook or by crook" anyone?? And we won't even go into the cock up they made of the calculated grades process.

And in every other aspect of the management of this crisis the Govt, particularly the current administration, have been less than impressive. And I'm actually being kind. Poor communication all round, enormous amounts of scaremongering and finger wagging at the general population and despite it all look where we are now! And it's a bit simplistic to go blaming Joe Public.

No way would I have your blind faith in what the "evidence suggests" or your blind faith in their meeting on Wednesday. We've been down that road before. And we've been duped before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

If Josepha Madigan said it was a nice day outside I'd bring an umbrella. Seldom seen a more brazen liar to hold public office. And that's saying something.

We have no idea how many of the people that have been diagnosed with covid in the last week are teachers and students. If we are going to be seeing numbers like this evening for the next week or so, then there's only so much we can do in schools.

It doesn't actually matter how many are diagnosed, the procedures that applied and worked well in October and November will work in January. The cases are artificially high due to lags in reporting, and I expect they will even out soon.

I disagree. The position as of right now is that schools are schedule to reopen on January 11th. Minister Madigan was simply affirming the policy that schools reopen. That is the position, and that is what she outlined.

If she were to say the decision was under review, it would create even more uncertainty as it would be unclear when schools are reopening.

Everyone has certainty at the moment - plan for January 11th return to school. If there is a change in policy, then at least everyone will have been prepared.

no one has certainty because the policy is deny deny deny...until you are forced not to

I take your point however she has to toe the line in the moment.....cant help thinking if they had a plan for this eventuality they wouldnt need to be denying the obvious up until they cant....while its an uncertain situation this to me shows they are not handling it very well and havent really improved since last march

The general vibe on the thread here for the last few days is that there is no way schools can open on the 11th. Not sure why its so surprising then that one of the teaching unions have recommended just that.

Oh given the numbers I dont think its unreasonable they stay shut for longer tbh but given those numbers why would it be any better to reopen on the 18th than the 11th?....................I dont have much faith in dates pulled out of holes....

Where did they come up with that?...Id like to have seen the process.........

• Advertisement

The uncertainty is there already. The government had lost control of that when you have journalists on last night's news saying that Ministers are privately conceding schools will close. The next challenge is to not look like a liar or a buffer and that you gave some semblance of control of the message and you're not just a talking press release.

It doesn't actually matter how many are diagnosed,

That's an interesting new depth in the denial stakes!

It doesn't actually matter how many are diagnosed, the procedures that applied and worked well in October and November will work in January. The cases are artificially high due to lags in reporting, and I expect they will even out soon.

Go on then, tell us what the nonartificially high numbers are so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

The Jim corr thread is over there. The numbers are so high at the moment it broke he graph

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Go on then, tell us what the nonartificially high numbers are so.

No, I think I know what that poster means.If you have been seeing the swab numbers for recent weeks, you can see the jump in the raw data, in the background, even if it is not 100% accurate.The days they were reporting 700 or so cases on the news, they were actually over 1k swabs, then over 2k, then it jumped to 5k pretty quickly.Even today, swab data is about 5100, reported cases are over 6k.Those extra cases don't actually matter in one way, because essentially they are history and don't count towards the day to day rate of change by now.

If you are graphing the numbers using the swab data, the trajectory started a week ago up to the 5k + region, and has hovered there ever since.But because nobody is looking at the swabs, only hearing case numbers, it sounds like we have done a massive jump in the space of about 3 days when really....we haven't.

It is hard to explain without diagrams (!) But essentially, they would actually be better to say look, forget about this infamous "backlog".Based on swab data, our line started at point X of about 1000 back around the 20th somewhere, and then rose upwards quite dramatically from there.It didn't jump from 700 up to 5000 in the space of 4 days or so, because that would be extremely worrying -it was much closer to 5k than anyone realised for several days before the media started reporting it.But essentially, those backlog cases are now irrelevant in terms of tracking the day to day change in numbers -they are "gone" so to speak, and they shouldn't be muddying the waters by throwing out random numbers each evening, because they are just creating awful confusion.Those daily case numbers mean next to nothing now.

Swab data is available at the link below for anyone who doesn't know, and there are charts tracking the swab numbers vs the case numbers at the bottom of the page, which explain better what I mean.Obviously the backlog cases matter in the sense that they mean our hospitals are seeing far more Covid patients, and that knock -on effect, but in terms of the reported case numbers day to day, they do not matter and should be left in history at this point.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

Outside of that, the decision to move to L5 has now been made, and tbh, tweaking it to include a 2km limit, or shutting construction sites or click and collect is probably going to produce very negligible gains in terms of reducing infections.All we can do right now is sit and wait out the next few weeks, there really is nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

It seems to me that people on here know about education - I certainly don't! But I have a son in 6th year, and am very high risk of Covid complications myself. My son has been quite anxious about Covid since it started, very concerned that he might bring it home. That eased a bit over the past few months, but he is worried again now that the numbers have risen. I must admit I'm concerned enough that I won't be sending him back to school until the virus situation is more manageable. My question is, do teachers expect the Leaving Cert to go ahead this year? The reason I ask is that I feel I'm always on at my son to study, and I know I'm adding to his stress by reminding him how close the exams are. He's missed so much with the last closure that he really needs to work hard if he is going to get through them. Should I just relax about the whole thing if it's likely to end up being an average of his school grade, instead of the Leaving Cert. He's a great kid who does a lot for me, so I hate to be on his back about this all the time. He's worried enough about the possibility of me getting Covid. I'm hoping they might end up giving them an average of their school marks perhaps, or am I just clutching at straws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

carr62 wrote: »
    It seems to me that people on here know about education - I certainly don't! But I have a son in 6th year, and am very high risk of Covid complications myself. My son has been quite anxious about Covid since it started, very concerned that he might bring it home. That eased a bit over the past few months, but he is worried again now that the numbers have risen. I must admit I'm concerned enough that I won't be sending him back to school until the virus situation is more manageable. My question is, do teachers expect the Leaving Cert to go ahead this year? The reason I ask is that I feel I'm always on at my son to study, and I know I'm adding to his stress by reminding him how close the exams are. He's missed so much with the last closure that he really needs to work hard if he is going to get through them. Should I just relax about the whole thing if it's likely to end up being an average of his school grade, instead of the Leaving Cert. He's a great kid who does a lot for me, so I hate to be on his back about this all the time. He's worried enough about the possibility of me getting Covid. I'm hoping they might end up giving them an average of their school marks perhaps, or am I just clutching at straws!

Sorry to hear of your situation. I'm a secondary school teacher. I want to begin by saying none of us can say with certainty what will happen with exams but i would expect huge opposition to predicted grades after the farce of last year.

Edit: as regards study, consistently plugging away is a good way to go about it but anything is better than nothing.

Are you working for the government or something? What procedures worked well in October and November? Cases were still in the 300-400 range when the Level 5 restrictions were lifted.

The cases being reported in the last few days are not coming from a backlog from 2 months ago, they are coming from a few days ago. They are still active cases. You could half today's numbers and say that half of them came from the few days across Christmas when numbers were underreported, it still leaves the numbers high across all those days, higher than any daily report since last March.

shesty wrote: »
    No, I think I know what that poster means.If you have been seeing the swab numbers for recent weeks, you can see the jump in the raw data, in the background, even if it is not 100% accurate.The days they were reporting 700 or so cases on the news, they were actually over 1k swabs, then over 2k, then it jumped to 5k pretty quickly.Even today, swab data is about 5100, reported cases are over 6k.Those extra cases don't actually matter in one way, because essentially they are history and don't count towards the day to day rate of change by now.

If you are graphing the numbers using the swab data, the trajectory started a week ago up to the 5k + region, and has hovered there ever since.But because nobody is looking at the swabs, only hearing case numbers, it sounds like we have done a massive jump in the space of about 3 days when really....we haven't.

It is hard to explain without diagrams (!) But essentially, they would actually be better to say look, forget about this infamous "backlog".Based on swab data, our line started at point X of about 1000 back around the 20th somewhere, and then rose upwards quite dramatically from there.It didn't jump from 700 up to 5000 in the space of 4 days or so, because that would be extremely worrying -it was much closer to 5k than anyone realised for several days before the media started reporting it.But essentially, those backlog cases are now irrelevant in terms of tracking the day to day change in numbers -they are "gone" so to speak, and they shouldn't be muddying the waters by throwing out random numbers each evening, because they are just creating awful confusion.Those daily case numbers mean next to nothing now.

Swab data is available at the link below for anyone who doesn't know, and there are charts tracking the swab numbers vs the case numbers at the bottom of the page, which explain better what I mean.Obviously the backlog cases matter in the sense that they mean our hospitals are seeing far more Covid patients, and that knock -on effect, but in terms of the reported case numbers day to day, they do not matter and should be left in history at this point.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

Outside of that, the decision to move to L5 has now been made, and tbh, tweaking it to include a 2km limit, or shutting construction sites or click and collect is probably going to produce very negligible gains in terms of reducing infections.All we can do right now is sit and wait out the next few weeks, there really is nothing else to do.

To be honest the precise day to day trajectory doesn't concern me. Its really what are the restrictions and when are they happening. I assume generally speaking that restrictions follow infection spread. I expect the people making the decisions to grapple with whether the numbers are 'pretend' or not. I definitely get the impression that infections have increased in the last week. I don't understand the other posters claim that it doesn't matter how many are diagnosed. If that's the case I'd like my local pub to open and I'll ramble down there, raise a glass, and wonder what all the fuss has been about.

All exams cancelled in England.

All exams cancelled in England.

Uh oh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement