Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In space you can ride a magic carpet.
    204133.gif
    (but still, nobody can hear you scream)

Seems like this thread is full of brainy people so I'll ask here

Say i want to drink my tea as hot as possible but i have to take a 5-10 min phonecall.

I have just poured the tea into the mug.

I can add the milk or leave off the milk until i return. But the same amount of milk is going in either way (say 10mls).

Should i add the milk before i leave the room or add it when i come back?

Just throw a clean tea towel over the mug after pouring, she'll still be hot for your return

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I guess the tea question comes down to

Does a hotter liquid cool to room temperature at a faster rate than a lower temperature liquid.

I guess it definitely does.

If cup x is 100 degree water and cup y is 40 degree water in a 12 degree room...i feel cup x is gonna lose a much larger % of its heat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Say i want to drink my tea as hot as possible but i have to take a 5-10 min phonecall.

I can add the milk or leave off the milk until i return. But the same amount of milk is going in either way (say 10mls).

Put a saucer on top of it, it will stay hot for a lot longer, milk or not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Folks, that was, like, two days ago. That tea is definitely cold, by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

New Home wrote: »
    Folks, that was, like, two days ago. That tea is definitely gold, by now.

Alchemy or Gold Blend?

Both: how do you think Gold Blend is made? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

For the people offering practical solutions...

It wasnt a practical question. There is no actual tea.

It was a theoretical one needing an a scientific answer that i didn't have myself.

Surely the hotter the liquid the quicker it returns to room temperature so it would make sense to add the milk first

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the difference would be neglible.

On a slightly related note. When making tea I always heat the mug with boiling before I make the tea. It makes a huge difference on how long the tea stays hot.

I actually have the data too. :rolleyes: (Yes I did the experiment!)
    A cup of tea made without the cup being heated beforehand is 10deg. colder. Makes sense as a big chunk of the energy in the water goes into heating the cup. If the cup is already heated the liquid remains at the higher temperature.

Alt + F4 will highlight any errors on a page. Try it there.
    Plain old F4 is a Godsend when using excel. It's a quickfire way of repeating the last task, great when formatting.

The Mpemba effect, though, means that boiling water freezes faster than cold water. I wonder would it also work for hot liquids and heat dispersion....

• Advertisement

You may know that the highest peak in North America is Mt McKinley in Alaska at 6144m

Some of you however (like myself 5 minutes ago) may not know that the name of the peak was changed to Denali in 2015 reflecting the name of the local indigenous people for the peak.

The change sparked a whole dispute with Ohio, who were unhappy to have the name of their only president taken off it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali%E2%80%93Mount_McKinley_naming_dispute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yeah, Denali isn't just a river in dyslexia any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ciabatta bread was only invented in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Ciabatta bread was only invented in 1982.

Banoffee pie was invented in 1971 in Sussex.

Chicken nuggets were invented by an American professor in the 1950s. McDonalds adopted them around 1979 or 1980 because people had started paying attention to fat content of food and chicken is much leaner than beef.
    https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2006/03/food-and-poultry-scientist-robert-c-baker-dies-age-84

608399.jpg

...rolls off the tongue, doesn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think I've had that most of my life... how is it pronounced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sleepy wrote: »

Username checks out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The song, The Air that I breathe, made famous by The Hollies was written by Albert Hammond. His son Albert Hammond Junior plays rhythm guitar for The Strokes. Hammond Sr ended up getting a co writer credit on Radiohead's song, Creep. Radiohead were then sued by the record label that owned the publishing rights to the song.
    The singer Lana Del Ray was recently sued by Radiohead's label due to claims that her song, Get Free, sounded like Creep.

• Advertisement

Get Real is just a slowed down version of Creep, fo sure. She might as well have just asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ridiculous move by Radiohead to be sure, but in their defence, Creep has the same chord progression as The Air that I Breathe and that's about it. Get Free has the same chord progression and and an obviously similar vocal melody to Creep and there is zero chance she/her writers weren't familiar with Creep. Rick Beato as usual has a good video on it and mentions she offered them 40% without even going to court which says a lot. I have no idea what the outcome was of it though. :confused:

The song, The Air that I breathe, made famous by The Hollies was written by Albert Hammond. His son Albert Hammond Junior plays rhythm guitar for The Strokes. Hammond Sr ended up getting a co writer credit on Radiohead's song, Creep. Radiohead were then sued by the record label that owned the publishing rights to the song.
    The singer Lana Del Ray was recently sued by Radiohead's label due to claims that her song, Get Free, sounded like Creep.
    I bet they all heard the tune first while in an elevator. Turns out it was on a b-side of a Eurovision single many moons ago for an entry from Norway or Denmark, and all the original band members and anyone associated with that song in any way shape or form are all dead. Or something.

Sleepy wrote: »
    In Mandarin, it's 报仇睡前拖延, where the pinyin is bàochóu shuì qián tuōyán. She's in Taiwan, so there's at least a dialectal difference, and they use the older more complex characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I bet they all heard the tune first while in an elevator. Turns out it was on a b-side of a Eurovision single many moons ago for an entry from Norway or Denmark, and all the original band members and anyone associated with that song in any way shape or form are all dead. Or something.

In fairness to Albert hammond we all know a lot of his songs whether we know it or or not

Watching horrible histories with junior last night, I never associated Roman emporer cesar with cesarian birth

Roman law under Caesar decreed that all women who were so fated by childbirth must be cut open; hence, cesarean. Other possible Latin origins include the verb "caedare," meaning to cut, and the term "caesones" that was applied to infants born by postmortem operations.

I remember being told that Caesar was a nickname that meant bald (like Claudius meant lame), and that that method of delivering a baby was named after him because he was born that way himself. I'll look it up later.

I remember being told that Caesar was a nickname that meant bald (like Claudius meant lame), and that that method of delivering a baby was named after him because he was born that way himself. I'll look it up later.

Also on horrible histories they had Viking funerals and how they partied hard afterwards, I wonder is that where we got our waking customs, they say abroad that we do death well here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Speedsie wrote: »
    Banoffee pie was invented in 1971 in Sussex.

Salted caramel was invented in 1977 by a French chef

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel#Salted_caramel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭its_steve116

*Rey

Advertisement