Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The benefit of poop cubes is that they stay where you left them.

Which makes it harder for predators to find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The benefit of poop cubes is that they stay where you left them.

Which makes it harder for predators to find you.

I think most animal poo stays exactly where they left them, regardless of shape, until you step in it, then that sh1t gets everywhere fec#@&&£#&ing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cdeb wrote: »

Aside from the fact that I didn't get that from FB and that your link says that that photo is from a film (all of which is fair enough), the link also says that the original caption from Getty Images says it was a reenactment of a practice of the time. So sleeping over a rope was actually a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

New Home wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that I didn't get that from FB and that your link says that that photo is from a film (all of which is fair enough), the link also says that the original caption from Getty Images says it was a reenactment of a practice of the time. So sleeping over a rope was actually a thing.

I watched a documentary on Victorian slums in London. Renting a spot on a rope for the night in crowded rooms was common practice for very poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

And some sources claim that sort of accomodation was also a thing on Mississippi River boats some time in the past. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I watched a documentary on Victorian slums in London. Renting a spot on a rope for the night in crowded rooms was common practice for very poor people.

I also saw it on a program about Jack the Ripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sleeping on a rope just seems much more uncomfortable than sleeping on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

sleeping on a rope just seems much more uncomfortable than sleeping on the floor.

Space was at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would you even have arms left in the morning?
    I'd say a night with the rope in your armpits carrying your full body weight would severely restrict bloodflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I also saw it on a program about Jack the Ripper.

I've seen it in Galway during Race Week.

Nah, not really - although this is one of my favourite photos and shows they did maximise the use of space in Ballybrit :)

545362.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

New Home wrote: »
    The link does say sleeping on a rope was a thing, but it has nothing to do with the phrase "hung over"

(I could have been clearer on that in fairness)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rosa parks was alive when hurricane katrina hit new Orleans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rosa parks was alive when hurricane katrina hit new Orleans

And she didn't even warn anyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

172035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

About 800 manage to climb mount everest every year.

But nobody managed the feat in 2015. Earthquakes and unrest made it unclimbable.

The closest to the top was apparently a 1 fingered man who had previously lost 9 fingers to the mountain.

People are wild

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

But nobody managed the feat in 2015. Earthquakes and unrest made it unclimbable.

The closest to the top was apparently a 1 fingered man who had previously lost 9 fingers to the mountain.

People are wild

It was worth it to almost,but not quite, become one of tens of thousands of people who have gone up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

People are wild
    He'll always be able to tell people he was this close to reaching the top

6121-08106885en_Masterfile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

10! seconds is exactly 6 weeks.

613963.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The question to the ultimate answer ?

(−80,538,738,812,075,974)^3 +80,435,758,145,817,515^3 + 12,602,123,297,335,631^3 = 42

Sum of three cubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's hip to be square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The witch image with a pointy hat and cauldron may have stemmed from women being the traditional brewers of beer, interesting little article here....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/women-used-dominate-beer-industry-until-witch-accusations-started-pouring-180977171/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Bill Gates, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter all have the same Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather. He was Thomas Cornell, one of the earliest European settlers in the USA. One of his descendents was a Prime Minister of Canada, another founded Cornell University. Yet another (female) was an infamous murderer.

The DeLorean car was released on 21st Jan 1981, or 1.21.81 as the Americans would say.

As a nod to this in the film the flux capacitor needs 1.21 Gigawatts to work and the car's test run with Einstein the dog is finished at 1.21 a.m.

sinfl22kncb31.jpg

^ Notice how I never mentioned the name of the film, but ye all knew which one I meant once I mentioned DeLorean and Flux Capacitor. :):):)

In fairness, the dog was a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mark knophler agreed to score the princess bride soundtrack in the condition rob reiners baseball cap from spinal tap appears somewhere in the movie. It’s in Fred savages bedroom and impressively enough it’s in the same room in “once upon a dead pool” movie too

616215.jpg

616191.jpg

• Advertisement

Ever thought you made a bad decision?
    Thomas Midgley Jr can lay claim to three:

First, he discovered and helped popularize the use of lead in petrol/gasoline, causing unimaginable harm to the atmosphere and our brains. He contracted lead poisoning when working on the project, but apparently neglected to draw any conclusions from this.

Second, he lead the team that discovered freon, the first chlorofluorocarbon, and helped popularize the use of CFCs in refrigeration and industrial applications, causing further unimaginable harm to the atmosphere

It’s suggested that he had a greater impact on the atmosphere than any other single person in history.

As for the third, well:

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted poliomyelitis, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation.

In case you were wondering, this is him:
    worst-decision-12.jpg

Advertisement