Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The age of photography was taking off just as the men who would have been teenage soldiers during the battle of waterloo were growing into their elder years.

Each year on May 5, the anniversary of Napoléon's death, the veterans marched to Paris' Place Vendôme in full uniform to pay respects to their emperor. On one such occasion a photographer captured some Waterloo veterans in uniform.

https://mashable.com/2014/10/27/napoleonic-wars-veterans/?europe=true

Looking at these photographs you would wonder what kind of brutal scenes these men saw and were involved in when battles were fought at close quarters with sword and bayonet and on horseback with cannonballs zipping around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Timeline of the Titanic sinking

sE2Lsur.jpg

Athletes in the NFL and NBA are prohibited from dating their teams cheerleaders and similarly the Cheerleaders have a rule against fraternization with the players. Not sure why but Id say it has to do with love triangles and fall outs upsetting team dynamics and interfering with performance on the pitch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1336065769789124608-png__700.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2020 was a walk in the park compared to AD 536 which was the worst year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

If you've ever watched a Western movie and heard the ping sound after someone standing at the bar spat downwards it was a spittoon they we spitting in to. When it was realised they were a potential for spreading disease they were phased out after a tuberculosis epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Drilling a 14 inch hole turned a 10foot deep freshwater lake into a 1,300 meter deep saltwater lake.
    https://mysteriesrunsolved.com/2020/04/lake-peigneur-disaster.html

50805125561_f4b7856b16_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd respectfully say it's nearer to 1000 days to do that. Their calculations give 37 km per day. No days off for rest, injury, weather, sightseeing etc.

I've done a couple of Caminos and long term 25-28 km a day is a good number with the odd day off. You could cycle it easily enough in 9 months taking your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's Kim Jong-un's birthday. It's not clear exactly how old he is. The official date is 1982, but it's thought that it was moved to a more prestigious year: a round 70 years after his grandfather's birth, and 40 after his father's. Various sources suggest it's 1983 or even 1984.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The same day as Elvis and Bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

New Home wrote: »
    The same day as Elvis and Bowie.

Kim kong un and Elvis have never been seen together. Just saying.

Neither has Elvis... and he was (is?!?) more rotund and with darker hair than Bowie... I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mikhail wrote: »
    It's Kim Jong-un's birthday. It's not clear exactly how old he is. The official date is 1982, but it's thought that it was moved to a more prestigious year: a round 70 years after his grandfather's birth, and 40 after his father's. Various sources suggest it's 1983 or even 1984.

1984 has a certain poetic charm to it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The presumed last remaining US civil war widow (1861-1865) died in December 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/08/last-civil-war-widow-dies-helen-viola-jackson

Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

retalivity wrote: »
    The presumed last remaining US civil war widow (1861-1865) died in December 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/08/last-civil-war-widow-dies-helen-viola-jackson

That's fantastic.

It's up there with President Tyler still having grandkids alive as of December 2017:

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-02-20/president-john-tyler-born-in-1790-still-has-2-living-grandsons

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though it seems so long ago it kinda isn't. Take the American Old West and all that stuff. John Wayne the biggest cowboy star of the silver screen as a young actor knew Wyatt Earp, he of the Gunfight of the OK corral, a seminal moment in western and cowboy lore. Earp was an advisor on Hollywood westerns and he heavily influenced Wayne's portrayal of the cowboy. I suppose one reason we feel such distance to those times was the speed of change technologically and socially and politically in the 20th century. That rapid change makes even the recent past seem so far away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

The voice for the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny was Miriam Margolyes, except in Ireland, where it was Tara Flynn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think I've posted this before here, but Miriam Margolyes - who, as you say, was the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny - was also the Spanish Infanta in the first Blackadder, and Lady Whiteadder in the second series.

Dq311PEWoAAPGMH?format=jpg&name=small

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though it seems so long ago it kinda isn't. Take the American Old West and all that stuff. John Wayne the biggest cowboy star of the silver screen as a young actor knew Wyatt Earp, he of the Gunfight of the OK corral, a seminal moment in western and cowboy lore. Earp was an advisor on Hollywood westerns and he heavily influenced Wayne's portrayal of the cowboy. I suppose one reason we feel such distance to those times was the speed of change technologically and socially and politically in the 20th century. That rapid change makes even the recent past seem so far away.

You really notice this when you have kids. The technological and social change in our own lifetimes has been utterly staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sleepy wrote: »
    You really notice this when you have kids. The technological and social change in our own lifetimes has been utterly staggering.

we have gone from Cray supercomputers in the 80s to desktop computers having the same processing power 20 years later. My phone has more processing power than a cray supercomputer.

My niece could hold a smartphone to watch a video before she could walk. I didn't own a mobile phone until I went to college. My dad remembers electricity arriving at his village. Life isn't static, and yet I can't really imagine how much more different it'll be in a century. Or rather, I can, but I'm probably wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very much so S and compared to someone say born in 1900 growing up and having kids of their own and living until they were 80, the changes we have seen are absolutely tiny by comparison to what they saw.

When they were born cars were a primitive plaything of the very rich, powered flight hadn't happened yet, radio was in its infancy, the telephone was a very rare sight, electricity was limited to urban areas, the vast majority of music was live. The European empires were still in full flow, large chunks of the world were unmapped and mass media was the realm of the newspaper and big news could be weeks old.

If a person made it to 100 years of age imagine the massive shifts they witnessed. They would have seen biplanes leading to the jet, Concorde, space flight and package tours to Benidorm. They'd have seen radio, then TV, then the internet and films go from silent and black and white to the talkies and widescreen colour in dolby surroundsound. From pure analogue lives to personal computers and mobile phones. From gas and oil light to a bright bulb in every room. The rise of the welfare state, the push for gender and racial equality. The biggest shifts in art, music and literature and architecture in history. The fall of empires. The rise and fall of communism and fascism, two world wars, from mass death from gunpowder to atomic bombs, the model T through Beetles, Minis and Toyota Corrollas with airbags and ABS and aircon. Fuzzy photos of the moon to men walking on it. From Newtonian physics to general relativity. Mass vaccinations, antibiotics and massive leaps in disease prevention and treatments. Average life expectancy go up by twenty years and childhood mortality falling off a cliff. A huge rise in living standards. The list is endless.

A centenarian in the year 2000 living in the West would have seen fundamental changes never before seen in any period of human history.

I collected old watches for donkey's years and one reason was in one way because they echoed those huge changes of the 20th century in a very personal and human scale way. Hell the wristwatch for men was barely invented in 1900. It's almost entirely a 20th century thing. Take these two.
    539101.jpg
    Both from the same brand, one from 1916, one from 1988. Well within an average lifespan. They both tell the time, but in massively different ways. One is all clockwork that can trace itself back to the 12th century, the other is a marvel of electronic and computer miniaturisation using tech and science and manufacturing developed through the 20th century and impossible before it. One can be made accurate to under a minute per month, the other is accurate to under a minute per five years. One has a case made from silver a metal in use since antiquity, the other is made from titanium which wasn't even isolated properly until 1916 IIRC and couldn't be usefully made into anything before the 1950's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The acceleration of that change really took off in the 1900's though. Before 1900, most children would have had lives that weren't dramatically different from that of their parents - a miller's son might see a few enhancements in the powering of his mill versus that which his father worked with (water -> steam etc) but the essence of the job would have been the same, now we see more dramatic changes within our own working careers, never mind inter-generationally - can you imagine being told that "social media manager" or "diversity manager" were real job titles when you were getting career guidance in the 90's? I certainly can't.

I collected old watches for donkey's years and one reason was in one way because they echoed those huge changes of the 20th century in a very personal and human scale way. Hell the wristwatch for men was barely invented in 1900. It's almost entirely a 20th century thing. Take these two.

Both from the same brand, one from 1916, one from 1988. Well within an average lifespan. They both tell the time, but in massively different ways. One is all clockwork that can trace itself back to the 12th century, the other is a marvel of electronic and computer miniaturisation using tech and science and manufacturing developed through the 20th century and impossible before it. One can be made accurate to under a minute per month, the other is accurate to under a minute per five years. One has a case made from silver a metal in use since antiquity, the other is made from titanium which wasn't even isolated properly until 1916 IIRC and couldn't be usefully made into anything before the 1950's.

And they both have bits that glow in the dark. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think you even have to go that far. I just don't get Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok. Twitter, properly used can be handy enough but Ian Dunt on a podcast once said that he asked his nephew what he wanted to be when he grew up and the response was an influencer.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And yet, for all the innovation in the modern watch, given the choice on which to wear, I'd take the older one every time...

That said, I haven't worn a wristwatch since 1999 when the "fake" Breitling Chronograph my mother picked up from a "street vendor" in New York was stolen from behind a bar I was working in. It was only when my cousin asked a friendly jeweller to change the bracelet on the one she bought for him to a strap that it transpired the watches had been genuine (if blatantly stolen) Breitling Chrono Sharks :(

• Advertisement

I don't think you even have to go that far. I just don't get Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok. Twitter, properly used can be handy enough but Ian Dunt on a podcast once said that he asked his nephew what he wanted to be when he grew up and the response was an influencer.
    I've had both kids tell me they want to be streamers or Youtubers... :rolleyes:

Advertisement