Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

joujoujou wrote: »
    Interesting postal code in Delta, BC, Canada:

https://604now.com/neighbourhood-delta-awkward-postal-code/
    V4G 1NA

:D

And Santa's is H0H 0HO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And Santa's is H0H 0HO
    And in the UK, it's XM4 5HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

The best shuttlecocks are made from the left wing of a goose.

Someone's a bake off fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Someone's a bake off fan :)

well actually he said that shuttlecocks are ONLY made from the left wing of a goose which is not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

well actually he said that shuttlecocks are ONLY made from the left wing of a goose which is not correct

I think there may a bit of cork involved?

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I think there may a bit of cork involved?

referring to the feathers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Peter is fallible so!
    I will say you unknowingly wrecked my head by trying to figure out where I had heard this recently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The Euthanasia Coaster is a hypothetical steel roller coaster designed to kill its passengers.] it was designed by Lithuanian artist Julijonas Urbonas in 2010. Urbonas, who has worked at an amusement park, stated that the goal of his concept roller coaster is to take lives "with elegance and euphoria".

The coaster rises to a height of 510m, then drops at a speed of 360 km/h into 7 spirals. Each spiral is smaller than the previous to keep the 10g force constant. The 10g forces will kill almost everyone through prolonged cerebal hypoxia, or lack of oxygen to the brain, but the plan would be to run it a couple of times with everyone in it, to make sure. There would be an option to get out at the top if you changed your mind.

It was displayed at an exhibition in the Science Gallery on Pearse St. in 2011.
    510m tall,
    Total distance 7.5 Km,
    Max force 10g
    Max Speed 360 Km/h

This is a diagram of it.

800px-Euthanasia_coaster_profile.svg.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zQMd1LxH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

El Paso, TX is 50 miles closer to Los Angeles, than it is to the most eastern settlement in Texas, Orange TX.
    Bit mad for me as I always assume Texas to be the middle of the US

8a11a8ea7047954e26ce48a770443b7f.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

retalivity wrote: »
    El Paso, TX is 50 miles closer to Los Angeles, than it is to the most eastern settlement in Texas, Orange TX.
    Bit mad for me as I always assume Texas to be the middle of the US

8a11a8ea7047954e26ce48a770443b7f.png

And Orange is also almost 100 miles closer to Jacksonville on the East coast than it is to El Paso. Lived in Texas, near Dallas, the last few years, it never ceased to amaze me how big the place is, and how empty when you travel west through it. It's big enough that it has multiple climatic regions, and everything from dense forest to arid desert.

The M25 is London's orbital route. It is 188.3 km long. 3.3 km of this is in Greater London, the rest is outside it.

The only village in London which is outside the M25 is North Ockendon which has a population of about 600. The rest of London's 9 million people and a couple of million other live inside the M25.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

KevRossi wrote: »
    The M25 is London's orbital route. It is 188.3 km long. 3.3 km of this is in Greater London, the rest is outside it.

The only village in London which is outside the M25 is North Ockendon which has a population of about 600. The rest of London's 9 million people and a couple of million other live inside the M25.

Apart from the 17.4% who live on it.

Beer was illegal in Iceland until 1989. Wine and spirits were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The people of famous Austrian village recently decided they do not want to be famous anymore.

The world will never be the same again!

//crying

http://url.ie/1r1gj

cGnl8T6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The Norse Vikings that claimed Greenland were wiped out by warfare and competition for resources by an Inuit people who moved in and cleared them out.

https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/reverse-colonialism-how-inuit-conquered-vikings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mount Everest is officially 86cm higher.

But you knew that.

Khimlal Gautam lost a toe to bring you this information.

You may not have known that.

is Everest not growing every year due to tectonic plates coming together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

When Everest was first discovered by westerners, it was believed to be the highest peak in the world but the expedition wasn’t allowed into Nepal or China to survey it, so studied it from the Nepal/India border.

They concluded its height to be exactly 29000ft, however knowing that such a round number would not be believed back in Great Britain, they added a couple of ft and came to 29002ft. Since then with more modern equipment we know it’s exact height, and again, after a shift in tectonic movement, it’s now even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Higher than what?

In other Everest news (possible repeat) - Dinali (AKA Mount Mckinley in Alaska) is the worlds tallest as opposed to highest mountain @ almost 2km taller than Everest, it just has the misfortune to be standing at the bottom of a hole, whereas Everest starts on a high plateau.

In other words it cheats:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Higher than what?

In other Everest news (possible repeat) - Dinali (AKA Mount Mckinley in Alaska) is the worlds tallest as opposed to highest mountain @ almost 2km taller than Everest, it just has the misfortune to be standing at the bottom of a hole, whereas Everest starts on a high plateau.

In other words it cheats:D

Dinali is the tallest on land, Mauna Kea in Hawaii is the tallest when measured from the sea bed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Higher than what?
    Higher than it was previously reported.

They measured it again and is has grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Maybe you know this but it was news to me at the time ;

After Ireland gained independence , rather than rip out the Red royal Mail post boxes An Post just had them painted green. In some rural parts of the Ireland you can still see some of the Royal Mail crown and Symbols on the green painted Post Boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

After Ireland gained independence , rather than rip out the Red royal Mail post boxes An Post just had them painted green. In some rural parts of the Ireland you can still see some of the Royal Mail crown and Symbols on the green painted Post Boxes.

It was famously seen as symbolic of the failure of the new state. The implication being that nothing has fundamentally changed in people's lives, the state was the same as before but with a veneer of patriotic symbolism, like painting the post boxes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cdeb wrote: »
    Higher than it was previously reported.

They measured it again and is has grown.

Are they 100% sure it didn't just snow, gets cold up there i believe:D

Unregistered Users

Well, it may actually shrink when frozen, I'd say. ;)

lobbylad wrote: »
    Dinali is the tallest on land, Mauna Kea in Hawaii is the tallest when measured from the sea bed
    Pfff

Everyone knows Mount Chimborazo is the highest don't they ? :p

is Everest not growing every year due to tectonic plates coming together?
    about 2cm on average, same sort of speed that the Atlantic widens at or the moon recedes.
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Well, it may actually shrink when frozen, I'd say. ;)
    Oddly enough they measured it at 3am for the exact opposite reason

There's loads of them in Dublin and south Dublin. This one is Victorian (installed up to 1901). Others have ER (Edward VII installed 1901-1910) or GR (George V installed 1910-1922) on them.

There's an incomplete list here:

victorian-wall-post-box-carrickmacross-county-monaghan-ireland-BRX6RJ.jpg

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Stolen from YLYL thread:

Scotland have their gritters named. And the names are just, well, cool. ;)

535862.jpg

Online, live tracker is available here:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Advertisement