Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options
19596979899101»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

animal with the most names in the world

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

How did the town of Ixonia, Wisconsin, get its name?

They put the letters of the alphabet on slips of paper and have young Mary Piper draw them until a name could be formed. As the result, "Ixonia" was the name given town 8 on January 21, 1846, and remains the only town bearing this name in the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The folks of Ixonia wouldn't have been great at Countdown. You could have made a name before the 6th letter came out, whatever it was. And did they double up (some of) the letters they included, since there were two 'i's? 🤨

I'm gonna lose sleep over this...😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The simple name of I would have been perfectly cromulent and would have saved them time and effort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Already in use as a historical name for the island now known as Iona.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One of the shortest telegraphs ever sent was ? by Victor Hugo asking about sales of his latest novel Les Misérables.

At the time the advance on it for eight years publishing rights would have bought 97Kg of gold.

The reply was even shorter !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

And it would remain the only town bearing this name in the United States regardless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

You have to wonder what else they had to cut from We Were Soldiers, I had no idea Too Tall did that. I should probably read the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In 1975 De Niro was filming Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 in Italy. In prep for Taxi Driver, he’d finish shooting on a Friday in Rome, fly to New York, spend the weekend driving a cab (having obtained a license) then return to Italy to shoot the following week. This is his taxi licence. He wasn't unknown back then, he had won an Oscar in 1974 for The Godfather II. Probably impossible these days with Twitter and TikTok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Looks like one of the vehicles from Fury Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I hate that they can't even get basic facts rights. He was 81 when he died not 70. He was 70 when he received his medal of honor.

I never knew pigs can swim . There’s an island in Bahamas where you can see them , though several tourists have reported being bit by the pigs . Several different possibilities of how they got there . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Beach

They must've crossed the road to get away from the chicken!

(I'm here all week)

I used to have 2 pigs that I raised , until the father loaded them in a trailer and them and me to a butcher . Poor old pinky and porky were hit over the head with an iron bar and knifed in the throat . Rip . Pork chops and bacon for weeks .

And that's why they prefer to take a long swim.

• Advertisement

Pigs are smart and sociable . I used to pet them and they would rub up against my leg . There’s a thing about genetics that they can grow human organs or something . The fact that they can swim is mad . I would never have guessed that. I might get a pet one and hope there’s loads of truffles on the land .

Oh, I know they are, I just find heartbreaking how cruel a death many, many, many have been inflicted over the years.

But back on topic, I wonder does their fatty tissue help them with buoyancy.

I don’t eat pork anymore , but I find it amazing that animals have an instinct to swim . I jumped off a diving board at a lake one time and started floundering until a woman came out and touched my shoulder . I put my feet down and I could stand easily in the water . I guess I don’t have the swim gene

Unregistered Users

However quick googling says average adult has 3-4 grams of iron in their bodies, so I guess 3000 enemies rather than 300. :-P

Unregistered Users

Margaret Dickson a.k.a. Half Hangit Maggie was hanged on the 2 September 1724 at Edinburgh.  Her crime was that of infanticide, namely that she had murdered her newborn baby. According to her the child was born dead and so she had disposed of the body on the banks of the local river Tweed.  The small body was discovered later that same day. She was tried at Edinburgh and although the evidence was weak was found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging. She was hanged and her body left suspended for the customary 30 minutes.  Her body was cut down and taken away in a coffin on a cart to be buried several miles away.  At one stage the driver of the cart had stopped for a break and thought he heard noises coming from the coffin.  He was right, for some unknown reason Margaret was not dead and had revived and was now trying to get out of the coffin.

This was perhaps seen as devine intervention and she was given a full pardon, she went on to live another 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

I guess you have to start small, with a pocket knife or something, and build your iron reserve gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

In 2008, Portishead and The Verve released their respective third and fourth albums, Third and Forth (no "U".)

They were both bands' first albums in 11 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Saturday Night Fever is said to have been based on an article about the disco scene in Brooklyn, well actually it seems to have been based on that other happening locale: Shepherds Bush in West London.

https://thedaydiscodied.home.blog/saturday-night-fever/

Human beings are despicable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement