Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

lleti wrote: »
    Government will be happy with RTE pushing the climate change agenda. Makes it easier for them to bring in taxes in the budget. Government will probably cave into their demands for more funds easier now.

Keep bateing that drum, youngfella.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't believe that they did. Yellow warnings are generally not unusual and the vast majority of the country had a yellow warning.
    To what end? Of the three it is the most pointless unless you actually get gusts and it reflects some extremely common weather. It effectively says it might be windy today. Someone well upthread suggested adjusting the levels so that it does become more unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

is_that_so wrote: »
    They did overdo it on the eventual weather warnings, with large parts of the country not adversely affected nor in the path of the system.

And lots of the areas in orange got nothing more than a yellow.

They could have backtracked but even on the 6pm news Gerry Murphy was talking it up on the behalf of Met Eireann when the writing was on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

lleti wrote: »
    Government will be happy with RTE pushing the climate change agenda. Makes it easier for them to bring in taxes in the budget.

That's about it, gales and winter storms have been arriving in Ireland since the year dot. Some are worse than others and that's about it. The hype though is about softening the public up for a nice hike in fuel prices, which increased tax will not make a blind bit of difference. Maybe they should concentrate themselves on taking fewer flights, spend more time in the Dail and run the country, including providing a wider distribution of local services so that the public don't have to travel as far to get to them.

Laughable this morning to hear the chap in charge of the emergency being asked if the event was over and saying 'oh, we still have YELLOW wind warnings in xyz'. He's supposed to be an expert, and a clear example of scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Carlow weather fella (waves!) was on Pat Kenny's programme speaking sense. It hadn't occurred to me that there is no official flood warning system in place here - his views that local weather impact rather than catchall "yellow/orange/red" warnings over a swath of land make more sense is also sound.

Absolutely. They were correct to take precautions in the usual known flood areas like Lahinch and Salthill. Yes cancel ferries to the Aran Islands.

But dishing out a countywide alert is a flawed system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

John mac wrote: »
    Just landed in Dublin. Heading to mayo . Should be there for 3ish
    Will report in the morning of any weather events along the way.
    Breezy and dry here ATM.

well it was a usual wet and windy drive , lots of surface water & leaves, couple of flooded spots around Tulsk ,
    got very blowy and wet around Swinford ,
    some spots on the road were covered in a blanket of leaves .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

The celebrity forecasters from Met want to remain celebrities, Gerry Murphy on the 6pm RTE news yesterday and the look on his face indicated that he knew the game was up but persisted with the dooms day scenario.
    But who got in right in Met ...the aviation forecasters who work away from the limelight and do the fixed time forecasts for the airports. The forecast issued at 6pm yesterday for Knock Airport covering a 24 hour peroid only forecast strong winds with gale gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I’d say Sharon NiBheolain was up all night in a bunker in RTE as she couldn’t risk going home in a national emergency.
    I had the misfortune to see the first part of the 9 0 Clock news last night and knew things must be serious when Sharon was standing up beside a big screen as she read the news.

It's all about the drama.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

99% of the so called storms dont live up to the hype...but all the hype is creating the delusion of climate change...all part of the plan sure:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

God fcuking help us as a nation if we got Caribbean style storms

We have in the past, plenty of them reaching well over 100mph that's the problem, it's easier track Caribbean storms then, atla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Atlantic storms, it was Warreted on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

We dont stand a chance of getting the general public to understand whats going on when the media talk up a Yellow warning.
    Met definition of a Yellow warning:- Yellow Not unusual weather. Localised danger.[/COLOR]

Climatologist on RTE radio now explaining why the cyclone wasn't as bad as expected. But this is not the business of climatology, he should be on to discuss long term patterns, not one off events. More RTE/ government propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

easypazz wrote: »
    Absolutely. They were correct to take precautions in the usual known flood areas like Lahinch and Salthill. Yes cancel ferries to the Aran Islands.

But dishing out a countywide alert is a flawed system.

Absolutely. Below is an example of a weather warning in Northern Ireland.Its not done by county but a yellow blob covering the area expected to be effected.
    Would have worked better here the last few days. Have a orange blob right down the coast extending out into the sea a bit with yellow extending further inland.

image.jpg

Also with the use of postcodes etc it should be possible for someone to search their postcode and see which warning category they fall into.
    There could also be a system on met.ie where you could register your phone to your postcode and get a text alert.
    I know the weather is hard to predict but people here done a pretty good job.
    I think RTE need a serious review of how they handled this. Almost tabloid type reporting from George Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of conspiracy talk, plots and describing this to an agenda.

People talking it up in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not sure what all the hype was about, a bit of wind and rain.

I'm sure climate change is responsible, wait until we get the tax hikes in the budget.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Carlow weather fella (waves!) was on Pat Kenny's programme speaking sense. It hadn't occurred to me that there is no official flood warning system in place here - his views that local weather impact rather than catchall "yellow/orange/red" warnings over a swath of land make more sense is also sound.

Heard it too, great sensible piece from Villian!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

We had windy days during the fine weather this Summer which was a strong as what we got last night and this morning here in the Midlands,no yellow warning then.Also sand carried in strong southerly winds from North Africa,didn't see George Lee wiping it off his glasses then.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I know the weather is hard to predict but people here done a pretty good job.

Met Eireann here do a good job on the whole but my main issue with them is that they've dumbed down the public advice they dispense. They should get rid of these Yellow warnings forthwith as they just describe pretty normal weather that we're all used to - take in the deckchairs, bring a raincoat etc etc.

If they're going to have sweeping colour code warnings, they should limit them to weather events that may cause more serious disruption: certainly the Red and maybe the Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

CosmicFool wrote: »
    It clearly states Technical discussion only in the thread title.
    Try reading the thread title again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Try reading the thread title again.

I think the mods must have moved that post :D pretty sure it was in the technical thread earlier!

All calm here in East Mayo for the past couple of hours

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not sure what the actual impact was on the west coast, but certainly where I was (Meath), this was not a yellow event. Had we not been bombarded with Lorenzo hype the past week, last night would just have gone down as a wet and windy night, like loads of autumn/winter evenings.

The media are much more to blame than Met Eireann tbh for the ridiculous hype, but maybe ME need to revisit the warnings system and up the thresholds a bit. Like a yellow warning has people thinking "maybe I need to leave work early" etc., when there was absolutely zero impact on travel in the Dublin/Meath region anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I think the mods must have moved that post :D pretty sure it was in the technical thread earlier!

You're not crazy... it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

What i did laugh at this morning was two girls in my office who said

"My god that's a really bad storm, they should let us go down"

It was raining out

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

PauloMN wrote: »
    Not sure what the actual impact was on the west coast, but certainly where I was (Meath), this was not a yellow event. Had we not been bombarded with Lorenzo hype the past week, last night would just have gone down as a wet and windy night, like loads of autumn/winter evenings.

The media are much more to blame than Met Eireann tbh for the ridiculous hype, but maybe ME need to revisit the warnings system and up the thresholds a bit. Like a yellow warning has people thinking "maybe I need to leave work early" etc., when there was absolutely zero impact on travel in the Dublin/Meath region anyway.
    If people think a yellow warning warrants leaving work early they need to read up on the warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

km79 wrote: »
    If people think a yellow warning warrants leaving work early they need to read up on the warnings

That’s not the point.
    The OP makes a good suggestion here. If a yellow warning is not even noteworthy enough for us to see any real change from usual weather - why have this warning level at all?

It doesn’t serve much purpose and just leads to confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I know by the garden that it rained a lot last night. I know it won’t last - but it’s like a good July day here now. Warm and Sunny. Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The yellow warning means it's pissing down

Hey now

The yellow warning means it's pissing down

Hey now

If it's yellow, let it mellow

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Greta would be proud of you.:)

To be honest with you, I cycle out of laziness.

It is either walk 10 minutes to a bus stop, be on the bus for 20 minutes, then walk 15 minutes to work, or get up 25 minutes later and cycle to work in 20 minutes.

Advertisement