Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Turned left, rather than my usual right, out of work today for a nice new route down small windy roads.

Two miles easy, three miles short temp, one mile easy, was today's prescription. As usual, my lungs couldn't keep up with the tempo and I had to stop for a brief recovery half a mile into the first tempo mile. Overall, tempo miles were 6:31, 6:25, 6:37.

Distance: 6.1 miles
    Weather: Warm breeze
    Surface: Main road and plenty of small bóithríní!
    Time: 43:04 (average pace 7:03)

It's not a good idea to eat a fry shortly before going out for a run. I know this, and yet... Today was the last long run before next weekend's half in Kildare.

Distance: 8 miles
    Weather: A mixture of showers and muggy sunshine
    Surface: Main road
    Time: 57:50 (average pace 7:14)

I went for a cycle yesterday, the first time in a long while, and I felt it. Any minor gains I had made on the bike had evaporated, and I need to put in some miles if I intend getting to the bottom of Croagh Patrick during Gaelforce, without being totally wrecked.

Headed east, a loop around Ros a'Mhíl. 17 miles at 18 mph average.

Yesterday's run, done today... I've felt the chest clogged up for a while now, so have forced the pace in my runs recently so as to open the lungs up again and try and get some pace in the legs. Don't know if it's counterproductive or not, will know on Sunday. Today was a short interval run, six by 400m ( pace for intervals was 5:56, 5:35, 5:36, 5:40, 5:51, 5:45)

Distance: 5 miles
    Weather: Overcast and warm, gentle breeze
    Surface: Sideroads
    Time: 37:03 (average pace 7:25)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Belated good luck Rónan (seeing as you've already run).

Soooo....1.35 or nay? Good or bad day at the office?

• Advertisement

I would never have considered driving to Kildare for the day for a half marathon, but one of the few decent legacies we have from the Celtic Tiger, motorways, means that heading from the far west to Kildare isn’t the expedition as it once was.

The alarm went at 6:15, the two boys were fed, suited and booted and brought to their grandparents, and my wife and I headed off to Kildare. My wife volunteered to drive, as my knee still tends to flare up a little bit on longer car journeys. We got to the Curragh at about 10:30, and had no problem picking up my race number, a sign of things to come from a well-organised event.

This was my first race as a Boards AC member, and even got to wear the Boards singlet, having met christeb before the start of the race and engaged in the second-hand singlet market. My suspicions that christeb’s size large singlet might be a bit big for me were confirmed by this photo!

My plans for the race itself were a bit ambitious, set off with the 1:30 pacer and see if I could hang on for dear life! I headed down to the start, meeting with DaithiBC, and in a first for me and most people other than Ronald McDonald, being recognised by my shoes :D. DustyBin can spot a gaudy shoe from a mile away! Despite the violently competitive portrayal of DustyBin by others (ahem!) on this log, he actually turned out to be a very nice man, who also happens to be a very good runner, especially considering he didn’t start running until last August!

As I waited at the start line for Catherina McKiernan (who looks younger now than she did at her athletic prime!) to start the race, it dawned on me that I hadn’t bothered with any warm-up. No dynamic stretching, no light jog followed by strides to open the lungs, nothing. There was no time to dwell on it, the foghorn sounded and we all ran off in the dust after DaithiBC. I’ve noticed recently that my concentration levels, whether running or on the bike, are appalling and that I tend to snap out of daydreams at a much slower pace than I should be at. I had never run with a pacer before, and I was looking forward to not having to bother concentrating on pace, letting DaithiBC do that for me. This didn’t work in real-life, though, as the end result was me losing concentration, falling behind the pacer, waking up and working hard to catch up again, only to fall back again.

Thinking back, using a pacer probably led to me abdicating all responsibility for my run, to the extent that not alone did I not warm up, I didn’t recheck my shoe laces before starting, something I always do. Sure enough, at seven miles, my shoe lace opened. At this stage, I was a bit behind the pace group and figured if I stopped to close the lace, I’d never catch up. I set off to get back into the bunch and got there coming into a village called Cut Bush, just in time to see DustyBin miss an actual bin and hit a young lad square in the chest with a half-full cup of water! The people of Cut Bush put on a great show, what with music and jelly babies, and once I got through the village and to Cut Bush city limits ;), I stopped to close the lace.

That was it for me and the pace group. I never got back, and any time I put in a spurt, it seemed to coincide with the pace picking up ahead of me. At eleven miles, I remembered the HTUF written on the road earlier and picked up the pace, only to be smacked back down by a long uphill drag at about 12.5 miles. I had always imagined the Curragh and Kildare to be flat, I was wrong! Ahead of me, I could see DaithiBC’s white balloons cross the line, then the clock turning from 1:29 to 1:30. Arghhh! Seventeen seconds later, I crossed the line. A PB by over eight minutes, but still a bit disappointing. Thinking about it yesterday, I was annoyed at missing the sub 1:30, but also annoyed at being annoyed, as I would never have thought a few months ago, when sub 1:40 was a genuine target, that anything near 1:30 was possible.

Anyway, it was the first time I finished a race where the queue for a massage wasn’t really long, so DustyBin and I got in line. I was finished in five minutes, but I think DustyBin went for the facial and full wax as he seemed to be in there for half an hour! At least I finished something quicker than him on the day!

A big thank you to DaithiBC and the other pacer whose name I didn’t get. It was a privilege to witness someone running at sub 1:30 pace and yet run so utterly comfortably within themselves. The pacers provided an excellent service, a pity my legs weren’t up to it. Kildare was my first run as a club member, and wearing the Boards vest is definitely a great way to meet people, I met loads of boardsies.

Overall, the race was extremely well-organised, with the many turns well-marshalled. There were plenty of supporters out for what was a rural route, and the little motivational signs (plus ultraman1’s spray-painted messages!) were welcome. As for the water being in cups, I didn’t think it was too much of an issue. The first water table was a bit chaotic, though, the others were well-organised.

As for the run itself, 13 miles is a long distance for me at sub-7 pace. I felt it tough going, even after 4.5 miles :o. I'm not convinced I could come under 1:30 without a pacer, but I'm determined to give it a lash again!

Distance: 13.18 miles
    Weather: Pretty warm, with a breeze
    Surface: Gravel, grass and road
    Time: 1:30:17 (average pace 6:50)

littlebug wrote: »
    Belated good luck Rónan (seeing as you've already run).

Soooo....1.35 or nay? Good or bad day at the office?

Cheers, littlebug, busy at work so didn't get a chance to write a race report until now. A good day, but almost a great day! 1:30:17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Superb time - the singlet gave you some of my sublime pacing skillz I see :D It definitely outweighs any slight sizing issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Well done ronan, 125 next time? :P

Sub430 wrote: »
    Well done ronan, 125 next time? :P

I think 1:29:59 would be more realistic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice one Ronan, when I saw your time I thought you would have had mixed feelings about it as you got so close. But certainly you were right to man up and go for the 1.30 rather than the 1.35.

Maybe an attempt in the Galway half marathon in August might give it you, its supposed to be flat enough isnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Excellent report there Ronanmac
    It was great to meet up with you on the day
    Yeah, I hope that young lad in Cut Bush managed to recover emotionally from having a grown man throw water at him :o
    Well done on a fantastic time, it was the feckin shoe lace done you in at the end!!
    And as for the massage tents, it's just my lovely legs I suppose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done Ronan abolutely fantastic improvements there. You will certainly be breaking the 1:30 this year no bother to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

That's great running to take 8 minutes off your PB, and with a little more shoelace luck, you'll easily go under the 1:30. It's funny how targets are so changeable, even in the middle of the race. Keep it going, and we'll see you in the 1:25 pace group soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Ronanmac. Despite the unsympathetic pacers not waiting for you while you tied your shoelace (joke!) you hit the numbers really well. Definitely a more aggressive target for the next race! Nice to see another Boards singlet in action! The elevation in your Garmin Connect link looks pretty downhill towards the end though. :)

Well done Ronanmac. Despite the unsympathetic pacers not waiting for you while you tied your shoelace (joke!) you hit the numbers really well. Definitely a more aggressive target for the next race! Nice to see another Boards singlet in action! The elevation in your Garmin Connect link looks pretty downhill towards the end though. :)

Can you not see that steep incline at 12.28 miles?:o

Well done Rónan:) Great run! Maybe some velcro straps for those psychedelic shoes will save you those 17 seconds next time out!

A combination of heavy legs post-Kildare, and driving all over the country in the past few days with work, meant today was my first run since Sunday. Probably my last this week as well, as I'm doing the Kilcornan 8k Forest Run next Sunday and I take my tapering seriously :D.

All this racing and my beloved tapering strategy, coupled with a three day running week, is playing havoc with my 1000 mile challenge. My marathon training doesn't start until July 6, so I'm going to have these next few weeks to put some bike work and trail hills in the legs in anticipation of Gaelforce.

As for today, it was an enjoyable sideroad loop from work down around Trá Mhaoras and back up to HQ.

Weather: Overcast and warm.
    Surface: Bóithríní beaga bídeacha
    Time: 33:41 (average pace 6:41)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

1:30 ? Superb time ... no arbitrary few seconds can take away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

That's a fantastic run, congratulations. Huge PB step forward, hope your times continue in the same direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Now that's setting a PB in style. Fair play to you. :cool:

Another weekend, another race. I think I've raced more this year alone than every other year put together. The sheer number of running events in the west is great, a major change from a few years ago when a look at any running calender would show most races around Dublin or in Munster.

The Kilcornan 8k Forest Run was being organised by Predator Tri Club as a fundraiser for the Brothers of Charity. I had taken part in a duathlon they had organised earlier in the year, and the marshalling issues that cropped up there didn't arise yesterday. The marshalling was top-notch, a tribute, no doubt, to our very own Catweazle taking his place amongst the flourescent vests!

I travelled to Clarinbridge with my wife, the two boys and Breandán, and met up with two other lads from work who were taking part. Registration was straight-forward and a 15 euro race fee refreshingly gentle on the pocket.

The race started in the Kilcornan forest, on tarmac road and we set off on what seemed a ferocious pace! I clocked the first mile at 5:43, probably the fastest mile I have ever run! The leaders ran on in a bunch and I was at the back of a second long string of runners. The first two miles were on tarmac and were downhill into a breeze. By mile 2, I was seriously suffering. I knew full-well that I had gone out too quick and after passing a few people early on, my aim was to finish without being overtaken. The lungs were burning though, and once we turned back into into the forest, I could hear someone closing up behind me. I kept going, trying to put some distance between me and the steps behind me, but with a slight incline and running on rough tracks, it felt like tough going.

Shortly after the 4k mark, however, I felt a second wind and got myself together. I passed the 5k mark at 19 something, delighted, as I had never run a 5k race and wondered if I could do it under 20. We came out of the forest and I glanced back, seeing two guys not too far behind. We were back on regular roads again, until we passed through a forest trail. The surface here was very rough, between stones and dips in the ground, and without my prescription sunglasses, it wasn't the easiest ground to navigate. Once again, though, I could hear someone closing in again. I think the forest added to the closeness of the sound but I was definitely being closed down.

At this stage, I would have taken the last leg handy as I was suffering, but determined not to be passed, I tried to run as fast as I could, crossing the finishing line in 31:21, two seconds ahead of the two behind me! Twelfth place overall. I met Catweazle at the finish line, complaining of a sore arse following the previous day's cycle :D.

The other lads got on well, Bren returning from illness and delighted to finish 8k on the back of no training.

Overall, I was delighted, knocking two minutes of my previous 8k PB. That's it for racing now, I think. Time to start focussing on Gaelforce and DCM 10.

Distance: 4.99 miles
    Weather: Cool and dry
    Surface: Tarmac, dirt road, forest trail, grass
    Time: 31:20 (average pace 6:16)

Thats great running Ronan, I was putting out the kilometre signs along the route and I was thinking I am glad I wasnt running this. Looked very difficult in the forest to keep a strong pace going, sub 30 will be on later in the year on an easier course.

I was thinking you were heading out quick as you had Grealish and O Sullivan in your sights going by the 1km mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

2 PBs in 2 weekend. Fair play. you're on fire these days Ronan. A lovely event from what I hear about yesterday. Well done

Thats soom time for a 5 miler
    Fair play, excellent result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great running there Ronanmac, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on another PB, from strength to strength, maith an far, you are in flying form ronanmac!

Thanks for the feedback, folks it's much appreciated. After years of slow running, it's great to be posting PB's. If nothing else, it keeps me interested in training!

Today was kind of the start of my DCM training, a makey-upey hybrid of programmes until I get to the "official" start of my 16 week programme on 06 July.

Today's run was a 2 mile easy, 2 mile at 6:24, 2 mile easy run. I found the two fast miles really tough, though, the legs felt really heavy. They were both done at 6:27 pace, but I felt like I was struggling to get anywhere near that pace.

I've been reading the "training in the morning" thread on the main ART section and I've tried to get up a few times this week to train but have failed :o. I was doing most of my runs in the morning at the start of the year but the second bambino has thrown me out of kilter. My problem is the eldest of the two young lads wakes up at about seven and I need to be back at the house by then, so realistically I have to be on the road by six :eek: and I'm just not a morning person! Will try again next week...

Distance: 6 miles
    Weather: Overcast but very muggy
    Surface: Small sideroads, mixing it between tarmac and the grass in the middle of the road
    Time: 42:24 (average pace 7:04)

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, folks it's much appreciated. After years of slow running, it's great to be posting PB's. If nothing else, it keeps me interested in training!

You're not just setting PBs your crushing your old times. That's a pretty amazing step up and it's clearly not a once off.

Are you doing something different in training now ? Surely this cannot just be the result of no beer ! Certainly you're a great endorsement of the FURMAN(?) - that's the run three days a week with lot of cross training - program.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    You're not just setting PBs your crushing your old times. That's a pretty amazing step up and it's clearly not a once off.

Are you doing something different in training now ? Surely this cannot just be the result of no beer ! Certainly you're a great endorsement of the FURMAN(?) - that's the run three days a week with lot of cross training - program.

I'm not sure if I'm much of an endorsement for the FURMAN program as although I do most of the runs, I do very little of the cross-training (despite spending a lot of money on a bike for precisely that purpose :o). The program definitely works for me, though, as it focuses my running with a prescribed pace and I tend not to be injured as often with just the three days of running. I've lost weight over the past year so that helps, but it's the mix of interval running, tempo runs and long runs that has me moving a bit faster than before. Prior to this, every run was done at pretty much the same pace... And, of course, not postponing runs due to hangovers helps!

A pretty poor week training-wise with just two runs and no cycling. I'm taking next week off to do some work around the house so I should have the opportunity to start putting in some proper training.

A rare weekend at work, and yesterday's planned run was postponed until today due to general work craziness. Thirteen miles at 7:45 miles was the prescription, and as an experiment, I changed my primary data field on the Garmin from actual pace to average pace. Although it did help in me not constantly glancing at my watch, I found that I relaxed a bit too much and had to speed up in the end to get back near pace. I think I'll return to what I'm used to.

Today felt tough, it being so warm, but anytime I thought I was suffering, all I could think of was Hunnymonster's endeavors. That brought me back to reality :eek::eek:. I went a bit astray trying to find a new loop and ended up running a mixture of trails and shore, the light runners definitely unsuitable for running on shingle.

All in all, a tougher run than I had expected. I've been thinking about my plans to start my marathon training plan now, and might instead follow Krusty's advice from another thread, and fill the gap between now and July with 10k training to try and put some pace in the legs, but with LSR's of 13-15 miles.

Distance: 13.2 miles
    Weather: hot, HOT, HOT
    Surface: Road, trails, shoreline
    Time: 1:42:36 (average pace 7:46)

Was that you Ronan that got a podium finish in the Lough Allen Triathlon :confused:

Absolutely not :eek:! Double his swim time and I'd still come out of the water behind him. Was toying with doing the tri in Galway on Saturday by getting through the swim with the breast-stroke but the young lad's christening put paid to that. Half-thinking of doing the Croi tri just to see what it would be like.

A belated update to the log following a busy week. It always seems to be the case that you have the least free time when you take time off work, and that was the case this week. I had loads of work to do outside the house, so when I saw the weather forecast, I took the week off.

Tuesday
    This was supposed to be an interval run, but following a day on scaffolding painting the shed, I switched it to a tempo run, which turned out to be as miserable a run as I’ve been on for a long time. Once I started running, I could feel the shock of every step running up through my legs, and I couldn’t get anywhere near my prescribed pace. I wasn’t too concerned as I had the excuse of being on my feet all day. Still though, an unenjoyable run. Run was five miles, 3 x 6:30 tempo, the three miles were way off, though, at 6:55, 7:13 and 7:04.

Weather: Warm evening
    Surface: Main road
    Time: 36:31 (average pace 7:18)

Thursday
    Interval run. A mixture of rain and babysitting meant I was inside most of the day, so heading out for a run felt great. Found the intervals tough but enjoyable. 8 x 400 metre intervals, I forget what the exact target times were but I wasn’t too far off the mark with 5:41, 5:57, 5:30, 5:51, 5:46, 5:40, 5:34, 5:27. Very inconsistent intervals though!

Distance: 7.25 miles
    Weather: Drizzly but a nice evening
    Surface: Grass football pitch and road
    Time: 59:08 (average pace 8:09)

Sunday
    Saturday was a big day in the ronanmac household with the younger lad being christened, and his parents “renouncing Satan.” My first big challenge in the Bliain gan Beoir. Started the day with coffee and went on to Beck NA. Non-alcoholic beer makes abstention much easier, and the placebo effect of feeling tipsy helps! There is no way I’d be able to go for a run the following day if I was drinking, let alone 15 miles, so the year without drink is serving its purpose, I suppose. LSR to be done at 8 pace, which I did, but felt the whole thing a bit tougher than I should. Was even suffering a bit after three miles :confused:, but felt better by the last three miles... :confused::confused:

Distance: 15 miles
    Weather: Overcast but muggy
    Surface: Pavement
    Time: 1:59:49 (average pace 7:59)

• Advertisement

I think there was the option of canoing the swim section so i thought that might have been you then. Am doing Croi myself so I might see you there

As nice a day for running as there has been all year. A lovely warm breeze off the sea eased the pain of intervals...

Intervals were 5 x 800m: 5:55, 6:04, 5:59, 5:54, 6:09. Spot the downhill intervals!!

Distance: 5.9 miles
    Weather: Warm breeze, really nice
    Surface: Highways and byways
    Time: 45:03 (average pace 7:38)

A tempo run that felt tough from the word "go" today (I have to stop saying "go" everytime I go out for a run :D). As previously posted, I'm doing a kind of hybrid programme at the moment, 10k training during the week, and an LSR of 13-15 miles at the weekend.
    My 10k training paces are based on my best 5k time, and seeing as I've never run a 5k, I optimistically picked a time of 19 minutes flat :eek::o. I suspect the time is over-ambitious as I'm really struggling to meet my prescribed paces these days. As it happens, there's a 5k in Salthill next Tuesday so I hope to give that a lash to see what my actual 5k time is.

For example, today's run was 1 mile warmup, 2 miles at 6:24 pace, 1 mile easy, 2 miles at 6:24 pace and 1 mile cooldown. The tempo miles were never near 6:24 though, they were 6:32, 6:38, 6:58 and 6:35. On the one side, setting tough targets is bound to help my running, on the down side, I'm wrecked half way through them and can't make the pace! Plus, for some reason, I felt my legs really heavy and strained after today. Oh well... I'm doing Catherina McKiernan's chi-running workshop on Sunday, so perhaps Cavan's finest can set me right!

Distance: 7 miles
    Weather: Warm and overcast, stiff breeze on the way home
    Surface: Pavement and road
    Time: 50:53 (average pace 7:16)

Another tough run, my running feels very laboured these past three weeks. I suspect it's a combination of returning to poor eating habits, and fast midweek 10k training coupled with longer runs on the weekend. Left the house, ran to the pier in Ros a Mhíl and back, but really didn't feel up to today's run from the start and was feeling sluggish from four miles on. Aiming to do 7:30 pace, fell apart totally at the end. The last four miles were 7:56, 7:49, 7:57, 8:11.

I'm doing Catherina McKiernan's chi running workshop tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, and hoping it can do something for my running. Plus I get to collect one of Ireland's greatest marathon runners from her hotel in the morning!

Distance: 13 miles
    Weather: Overcast, but very muggy
    Surface: Road
    Time: 1:39:54 (average pace 7:41)

Sunday saw Catherina McKiernan come down to Conamara for a chi-running workshop, which I couldn’t recommend highly enough. It was a long day but I finished the day, for the first time ever, being able to run on my midfoot as opposed to heel-striking. There’s a lot to take in regarding getting the technique right, but it’s a case of doing the drills we were shown on the day.

Tuesday evening was the first opportunity to put the chi-running into action, with the Salthill 5k. There were four of us there from the “tri club/loose alliance of multi-eventers”, and Padraic from Velotec turned up with a new set of tri-suits which he insisted we wore. Yikes! Strange looks from the rest of the field, skin-tight one piece lycra looks more in place at a triathlon event than a Tuesday evening 5k!

Registration was on the Prom and one of the organisers took it upon herself to describe the route to me beforehand. Run along the prom, she said, and then turn up Threadneedle Road. "What?" says I, "organise a 5k along the flattest section of county Galway but send us up the only hill in the area?" "We wanted to make it a bit of a challenge," she said back to me. I was about to answer with a series of profanities when I remembered that the 5k was organised as a fund-raising event for a Christian summer camp, so I decided to keep my swear words to myself!

It wasn’t a big race (a bit over 150 entrants) and I found myself up front at the start line. The run started and I began focussing on my new technique. I normally keep a close eye on the Garmin to see what pace I’m doing but I was so busy concentrating on Catherina McKiernan’s lessons that I was a few minutes into the run when I noticed that I was going way too quick for my lungs. When I noticed that I was in second place, I realised that I had really misjudged things. There’s nothing worse than being somewhere where you are not supposed to be and I began wondering (a) would I be able to keep going without stopping as my lungs were on fire, (b) would everyone pass by me in a flash when I started to fall back, (c) was sprinting out at the start going to end up being really embarrasing?

At about half a mile, just before turning up Threadneedle Road, I was passed by a group of three runners who evidently had a better pacing strategy than the “hell for leather at the start and hang on for dear life” strategy. Going up the hill, all chi running technique was forgotten, and the sub-6 pace was dropping to sub-7, sub-8 and finally, at the very top of Threadneedle Road (passed by another two runners meanwhile), a pace of 9:49. To be honest, at this stage, I was just glad to have gotten to the top of the hill and not to have stopped. The gradual slope from Threadneedle Road towards Knocknacarra helped me in getting my brain and form together again, and I got the pace back up again. Anytime I focussed properly on the running technique, my pace increased, but my lungs were often struggling with this pace, though. We were told that the finish was at the Salthill Hotel, and I was passed coming up to the turn for the hotel. It turned out that the finish was at the turn, but this was unclear and most people kept running before noticing the race was actually over.

In the end, I finished ninth with a time of 18:39. It was always going to be a PB as I had never run a 5k before, but I was delighted with the time and really enjoyed it as an event. As for the chi running, I think that it definitely has positive implications for my running but that I need to practise the various drills more (my calves were killing me after the race, and I never feel anything in my calves normally).

A nice Tuesday evening diversion, and a well-organised race.

Distance: 5k
    Weather: Breezy and overcast
    Surface: Concrete pavement and tar road
    Time: 18:39 (6:01 average pace)

• Advertisement

18.39 going up Threadneedle road..........thats incredible.

Was it the whole road, starting from the prom up to the traffic lights at the top??

Christ thats great running

catweazle wrote: »
    18.39 going up Threadneedle road..........thats incredible.

Was it the whole road, starting from the prom up to the traffic lights at the top??

Christ thats great running

The route started across from the aquarium, along the prom until the Blackrock roundabout, up Threadneedle Road to the top of the hill and left at the lights, along the main road towards Joyce's, turning left at Kingston just before Joyce's, coming out onto the Salthill Road at the Spinnaker, left again and finishing at Salthill Hotel. As I said, there are flatter routes around there, Threadneedle Road seemed a bit of unnecessary cruelty!

They made a tough route out of an area that could have been super fast. 17.xx looks easily within your scope on a flat course

Jaysus that's another superfast time!!
    You're really on fire these day's, is it the 10k training kicking in do you think? If you can carry that pace through your marathon training you should be capable of a stonking time
    Fair play

Well done Rónan. Jeez my car even groans going up threadneedle road!

By any standards a great result - on that course, with dicey pacing - it's fantastic. That really confirms your step up toa whole new level since the beginning of the log.

DustyBin wrote: »
    is it the 10k training kicking in do you think?

I don't know if it's the 10k training, probably. But my long running on the weekends is really suffering as the short runs during the week get quicker.

FRIDAY:

Missed Thursday's run as was working away from home, and didn't get the time to go out, so moved Saturday's LSR to Friday. Another 13 miler, another slow tough run, with a big slowdown over the last two miles. I hope, when I start the actual marathon training, and dump the midweek 10k training, that the legs feel fresher for the LSRs. At the moment, my endurance definitely doesn't inspire confidence :(. I'm doing the same route for a while now the long runs, over to the pier and Ros a'Mhíl and back to the house, so maybe a new route might be a bit more inspiring.

Distance: 13.3 miles
    Weather: Dry and warm
    Surface: Road
    Time: 1:42:33 (average pace 7:43)

SUNDAY:
    Headed off to Delphi Mountain Lodge in the morning as a group of five of us went to do the cycling/Croagh Patrick legs of Gaelforce. The new off-road cycling section is a bit nasty and adds a fair amount of work and time to last year's course. It didn't help that I clipped the back tyre of one of the lads while trying to hide behind him from the wind, and came a cropper. Knee says ouch.
    The reek was its usual toughness, didn't take a watch with me so don't have a time. Walked most of it up (I have a lot of hill work to do), and pelted down. Overall, it was enjoyable but the leg hurts today!

ronanmac wrote: »

SUNDAY:
    Headed off to Delphi Mountain Lodge in the morning as a group of five of us went to do the cycling/Croagh Patrick legs of Gaelforce.

We were there on the friday and saturday for a stag, 20 lads waiting around to go surfing for the day and then they come down and tell us the muppet groom had booked us in for next weekend by mistake and they had no availability. Longest day of my life drinking at 1, We were staying In the Leenane of two pubs, what an inappropriate place the only people in both pubs were us for the night. Thank god I was only doing the friday.

Are you doing Annaghdown or Milltown 10k next week, I might do the Annaghdown one myself

catweazle wrote: »
    We were there on the friday and saturday for a stag, 20 lads waiting around to go surfing for the day and then they come down and tell us the muppet groom had booked us in for next weekend by mistake and they had no availability. Longest day of my life drinking at 1, We were staying In the Leenane of two pubs, what an inappropriate place the only people in both pubs were us for the night. Thank god I was only doing the friday.

Are you doing Annaghdown or Milltown 10k next week, I might do the Annaghdown one myself

I'd say that any sheep farmer heading down to Gaynor's for a quiet Friday night pint got a bit of land alright!

I was really looking forward to Annaghdown as I've only ever done one 10k before this, but for the second week in row, I'm working in Dublin on Monday and Tuesday. F*ckin' typical!

• Advertisement
Advertisement