Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Mid-teen finish out of 136 - fair play. Top 10 only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ha it was funny enough your fathers reaction when he was telling me that his son from Carraroe was in the race. Hows his missus has she popped yet, I asked?? I would say he was wondering how the hell I knew about that.

You didnt look too bad when you went by me, although hanging on to Geraghty and Scully will take anyone out of their comfort zone

Where did you get the results from sub 4.30??

catweazle wrote: »
    Where did you get the results from sub 4.30??

Just from what the man himself said..

No results online yet, so I don’t know where I finished, I think it was somewhere in the mid-teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Sub430 wrote: »
    Just from what the man himself said..

No results online yet, so I don’t know where I finished, I think it was somewhere in the mid-teens.

:eek::eek::eek: I was going on hearsay after the race, this could turn out to be embarrassing yet :eek::eek::eek:

Results online, 14th, phew! Must remember not to speculate on results again and keep my mouth shut until I know for sure!!

• Advertisement

You must have finished strong you were 17th going by me

I think it was disqualifications wot did it for me, rather than a strong finish! Overtaking one guy in the forest, and Ruaidhrí agus Shane Scully getting a DQF would account for me ending in 14th, as opposed to 17th...

The dreaded intervals today, but not so bad as the day was absolutely beautiful! It seems the days are getting nicer and nicer (and longer and longer!)

Went for a new route from work today as was looking for a bit of flat road for 400m repeats. I went down the road to Minna airport but won't be going there again... Was chased by a dog, not sure of the breed but looked like it should be muzzled according to law :eek:. Yikes, it did bring down my first interval time though!!

The intervals were 10 x 400m, to be done at 6:00 pace. Was there or thereabouts on average; 5:47, 6:00, 5:55, 6:06, 6:12, 5:55, 5:51, 5:56, 5:43.

Distance: 5.62 miles
    Weather: A beautiful spring day!
    Surface: Road and pavement
    Time: 42:09, 7:30 average pace

First midweek morning cycle this year on the road as opposed to the turbo (actually, first midweek cycle in a long time :o). Fifteen mile loop around Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile (take that, Newtownmountkennedy!). A quiet road with a few hills thrown in. Lovely morning, but I need to wear heavier gloves and socks on these frosty mornings, as I was freezing afterwards. Hope to continue these morning cycles, nice way to start the day, and less traumatic than morning running!

Knocked out of the cup tonight at quarter final stage. At least that's the end of the soccer now, and the fear of injuries that goes with it...

• Advertisement

I met my regular race buddy, Brendan, in Craughwell, me coming from home, Bren coming from his inlaws in Louth. Both of us were using the day as figure-outer for the Conamara half, although Bren was resetting his targets as he was feeling a bit ropey after a cold.

Straightaway on arrival in Craughwell, it was apparent that this new event was extremely well-organised, from the parking to signage to number pickup. It would continue that way all day.

The start was a kilometre "warm-up" from the number pickup location, the start set out according to time targets. My Garmin was struggling for a signal at the start, and when it did sort itself out, it seemed to me to be a bit off-kilter at the start as it was indicating a low to mid six mile pace. It didn't feel like that kind of pace but sure enough, my first mile was 6:28.

My plan was to take the McMillan suggestion coming off the Tuam 8k time, which gave me a 7:05 pace for the 10 miler. But after finding myself under 7, I decided I would see if I could keep at sub-7 pace. At about four miles, I found myself slipping into 7 something pace, so I decided to stay at about that and pick it up again at around 5 miles. The hill at 5.5 miles tested that plan though!

At about eight miles, I felt my chest tightening up, much as I felt at about 17 miles during the DCM. It passed after a while, but I think it may be something I need to check out. Eight and half miles, and my lungs were on fire. At this stage, it was a case of looking at the watch every now and again, and trying to keep the legs moving at under 7 pace. The Forerunner lost signal entirely at about 9.7 miles (my cue to upgrade from the 205?;)) so I focussed on trying to pick a few people off at the end. I wasn't expecting a sprint finish at the end, though (lack of race experience and lack of sprinting ability!) and I think that everyone I had just passed overtook me at the finish line!

My watch said 68:31, the race clock said 68:38. I was delighted with the time and the continuing novelty of running quicker than expected. I was telling Brendan after the race, that this time last year, I wouldn't have believed I would be capable of running 10 miles at sub-8 pace, let alone sub-7. I met a few people afterwards, Eoin from Inis Oirr who is also doing the Conamara half, and Catweazle, using the 10 miler as a tune-up for the Connemarathon. No pressure, Catweazle, but McMillan suggest a marathon time of 3:30 for you, on the basis of your 10 mile time! I presume Mr McMillan hasn't seen the Hell of the West!

Congrats to Craughwell AC on organising a fantastic event on a closed road, and with enough food and hot drinks afterwards to feed Galway city!

Miles times were: 6:28, 6:46, 6:50, 7:04, 6:51, 6:55, 6:48, 6:44, 6:53, no time for mile 10 as Garmin went on the blink.

Great running Ronan, it probably made sense to have a go at sub 70 with it being just 5 seconds a mile under.

I typed that result into McMillian myself and laughed when I saw 3.30. There is no way on earth I could hold two 1.45 half marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done Ronan. Always nice to exceed expectations! :cool:

catweazle - 3:30 well within grasp based on your times.

How accurate do you guys find MacMillan? I'm starting to have my doubts about it......might eat my hat here but I think it under estimates. :eek:

Well done ronan, you're flying.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Rónan. Great running.... and not a baby in sight ;)

I've only started looking at McMillan recently and presumed it overestimated. It underestimated the 10 miler, it seems, but I think it would be tougher to maintain the predicted paces as you go out into longer distances. I know for a fact that there is no way I would be able to run the 3:11:54 it predicts for me on the back of yesterday. It took me five marathon attempts to come under 4, and that was a "just about" struggle last October. It does give me confidence to attempt 3:30ish though :eek:. If nothing else, McMillan is useful for giving you a race plan, and the confidence to try paces that you might have thought beyond you...

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done Rónan. Great running.... and not a baby in sight ;)

Cheers, littlebug. Going for a scan tomorrow where we'll get a "one way or the other" date! Going from busy to very busy is just around the corner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Ronan...on yesterdays race and the Duathlon. A return for the hard work is what its all about. Keep it goin and good luck with the babython :D

Hey Ronan we made the website, easy knowing it was at the start as I wouldnt have been near you otherwise

First row third picture

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=604&Itemid=70

Hey Ronan we made the website, easy knowing it was at the start as I wouldnt have been near you otherwise

First row third picture

http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=604&Itemid=70

I was wondering how come I didn't see you at the time, until I noticed that I'm so focussed I've my eyes closed. By the way, they are some seriously skimpy shorts on 335...

• Advertisement

The Babython is over! My wife gave birth to a 7lb, 2 ounce boy this evening. Our second boy, although this lad has the (mis)fortune of having his Dad's red hair! Both are well, and the alcohol-free year challenge should see me in better condition going into hospital tomorrow, compared to 20 months ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Congratulations! Great news.

Great news, congratulations, we had our scan last week so our first is due in September!

Sub430 wrote: »
    Great news, congratulations, we had our scan last week so our first is due in September!

That's great news, Sub430, hope it all goes smoothly. Best of luck, it's a lifechanger, but a good lifechanger!

Woke up this morning alone in the house, weird! The eldest (doesn't sound right for someone who is only a year and eight months!) stayed with his Mamó last night, so I took the opportunity to head out for a run before heading into hospital.

I could feel last night's celebratory midnight snackbox and non-alco Erdinger still sitting in the stomach but at least the head was nice and clear. I met the Rith 2010 relay on my travels, they were pulling out of An Cheathrú Rua with a large cortege and a bunch of running schoolkids for company. It looked great. A friend sitting in a marshal's car stuck his hand out the window and shouted Comhghairdeachas. Gave him a confused high five, only after did I figure out that he probably met my father in the pub last night and heard our good news.

The run was a 3 x 1600m interval, second half was against a stiff breeze, and with Craughwell still in the legs, I was well off the pace. Target was 6:23, intervals were 6:22, 6:45 and 7:08.

No matter, I'm finishing my porridge and coffee now, and heading in to see Mamaí and Cóil! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Distance: 5.5 miles
    Weather: Overcast and drizzly
    Surface: Road (I think I need to drop the Surface category, it's always bloody road!)
    Time: 41:06, 7:28 average pace

Congrats Ronan, it was probably asking too much of her to get in another race this weekend. A ginger this time, maybe he will be the one that gets your running genes as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Comhghairdeacheas Rónan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Congrats ronan

Congrats Ronan, it was probably asking too much of her to get in another race this weekend. A ginger this time, maybe he will be the one that gets your running genes as well ;)

There's actually a history of good runners on his mother's side, so I sure as hell hope he doesn't end up getting my running genes! The red hair will be enough of a cross to bear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Heartiest congratulations to you all. enjoy.

Advertisement