Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

ronanmac wrote: »
    Don't worry, the 312 members of the "Boards Kusadasi jackback Villa Training Camp" have already had their AGM and are very much looking forward to our visit come spring!

LOL the more the merrier. I am heading over in August for two weeks so will be doing some scouting on swim/cycles and runs. Good racing at the weekend btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice going at TriBurgh. Well done. Nice result in the 8k too. You're going well. :cool:

Are you doing Cope this weekend?
    Cheers. Wasn't intending on doing Cope, but with the need to knuckle down to HIM training, I was half-thinking of signing up and doing it and forgetting about racing for a while after that. Need to make up my mind today, I reckon.
    You doing it?
    Wow solid result there Ronan and your were ahead of the pack on the swim. It can be tough alright swimming out against the flow, you have to time your sighting for when you are on top of the wave. Its all about 'feel'
    Thanks, MCOS. I'm definitely happy about the swim, and although the time is nothing to boast about, I'm still pleasantly surprised! Good tip on sighting, never thought about that...
    Good tip on the
    catweazle wrote: »
    Great time - I assume you know the 3rd place guy well. I didnt realise Lorcain was doing the triathlons - I used to play GAA with him years ago, fine player he was always the fittest guy on the team

I am very impressed with you finishing ahead of my club mate Tommy, hes a decent swimmer and strong cyclist and I thought he would have to big a lead on you on the run, obviously not. He was only 30 seconds ahead of you out of the water :eek: Your swimming has come on in leaps and bounds

I don't know Lorcán well, but I do know him. A strong swimmer, it seems, as well as being a very good footballer! I didn't realise you were a footballer yourself, catweazle?
    That Tommy is good cyclist, watching him climb past me at a steady consistent pace was both impressive and annoying!
    You still doing Cope on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I don't know Lorcán well, but I do know him. A strong swimmer, it seems, as well as being a very good footballer! I didn't realise you were a footballer yourself, catweazle?
    That Tommy is good cyclist, watching him climb past me at a steady consistent pace was both impressive and annoying!
    You still doing Cope on Sunday?

Lol thinking of backing out of Cope now that you are thinking of doing it, my fragile ego cant handle any more beatings from you :D

But yeah I am in for it - the cycle can be a bit of a lottery with traffic but with the reduction from Seb I thought it was a fair price

I wasn't a bad footballer up till minor level, but as with many a city player, the bright lights of Rumours, Baywatch, Oasis, The Castle and the Warwick overcame me

Lol thinking of backing out of Cope now that you are thinking of doing it, my fragile ego cant handle any more beatings from you :D

But yeah I am in for it - the cycle can be a bit of a lottery with traffic but with the reduction from Seb I thought it was a fair price

I wasn't a bad footballer up till minor level, but as with many a city player, the bright lights of Rumours, Baywatch, Oasis, The Castle and the Warwick overcame me

I suspect your training so far this year might just protect that ego! I suspect your swim time will see some improvement on 2010's times.
    The price is putting me off a bit (no reduction!), but I might just bite the bullet.

Finally, a decent explanation as to why city football clubs aren't stronger. The lure of Salthill nightclubs!

Window of opportunity at work, so headed down to the beach at Na Minna for a quick dip. Water is definitely getting warmer, even if the weather is staying miserable. Started bucketing rain during the swim, drops looked great bouncing off the sea!

Done: 910 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Savage going Ronan. That's some time. Congrats. And that's a good time for a sea swim in rough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Excellent stuff dude, well done. Great bike split to boot, with a good bike it sets you up nicely for your run which is strong anyway. Well Done!

Got up this morning to go on the bike, gale dictated turbo...
    Done: 43.5km in 1:15 with 4 x 3min intervals

Thursday

Lunchtime:
    Swim at Trá na Minna, water definitely warming up. Trying out new goggles with Sunday's race in mind, a big improvement.
    Done: 1000m approx

PM
    Club run. A nice turnout, including fellow boardsie, backspacer. Wasn't feeling it at all this evening, and was struggling to keep with the guy I usually pace off. Tough session.
    Done: 9.97km

As much as I had been looking forward to last week's race in Louisburgh, I was in no mood for this one by the time Friday came around. I had a sharp pain coming up my left heel and the outside of my foot, and just walking was leaving me drained and irritable.
    Sunday morning, I got up, applied some ibuprofen gel, some Deep Freeze spray and took two Neurofens. One large coffee topped up by two espressos and I was on my way into Galway, in a slightly more chipper mood! Coming into transition, I met Catweazle, my despicable arch-nemesis... I noticed El D's bike in prime position on the racks and he came over later, looking leaner and fitter every time I see him.
    By the time the race was ready to start, the weather was just nasty. Windy, cold and wet, it was little surprise that the water seemed warm after hanging around in what passes for an Irish summer. Following last week, my plan for this race was to give an honest account of myself in the swim and see what happened after that. The first 100 metres or so went okay, after that, it just felt like a nightmare. I couldn’t get my breathing going at all, my chest was feeling constricted, I felt weak.... basically, my body and my brain were giving me every excuse to pull out and I was giving it serious consideration. I stuck my head up to get my bearings and after a brief breast-stroke break, I headed off again. It took me a while to figure out that abandoning the bilateral breathing would help, as I seemed to need more breaths than usual. Once I started breathing on every second stroke, things settled down and I concentrated on getting through the waves and onto the beach. Remarkably, five of us from the club were getting out of the water at the exact same time!

Swim Time: 15:43 (55/183, 30%)
    I’m under no illusions about my swim, and disappointed with my feeble lack of manliness:o;)! I’ve the small matter of the 1.9k swim coming up as part of the half-ironman in September and feeling tired after 100 metres doesn’t bode well. This being my first year, I’m abandoning any pretension of speed, it’s a case now of distance and comfort in the water, and heading away for holidays in a fortnight should give me plenty of opportunity to get into the water and start getting ready.

T1: 1:03
    A bit of a struggle getting the right leg out of the suit, and the cold made closing the helmet buckle awkward.

I had decided that I’d give the “leap of faith” a try for the first time at this race, and it worked well, getting away on the bike quicker than normal (and sticking my feet into a pair of shoes that had about five millimeters of water in them!
    By the time I was coming to Knocknacarra Cross, I could see a Predator trisuit ahead on a red bike. Could it be? Sure enough, Catweazle. “Well, f*ck you”, he said rather unsportingly as I passed. I can’t remember what I said back but I believe that it was a cordial and encouraging remark :D.
    About two kilometres up the road, I had the pleasure of returning the “f*ck you” as he passed me, but I was buoyed up by his jolly words of encouragement and kindness in return ;).
    We came to the half-way turnaround at the same time, and using a time-honoured currach racing technique, I cut him off on the inside and following a mutually appreciative conversation, put the head down and headed into the wind against the drag.
    I had the cycle figured out in my head before the race: put in the work against the wind heading out, and power home with the wind at your back. Mother Nature decided to break with her Conamara south-westerly tradition, however, and the strong north-easterly made it heavy weather all the way home.

Bike Time: 37:29 (26/183, 14.2%)
    Overall, I was pleased with the bike, it’s the one place where I can definitely see some good improvement so far this year. I always seem to lose a place or two on the drags against the wind, but I think that the solution to that lies in some long winter cycling.

T2: 1:11
    I jumped off the bike in my bare feet to the oddest sensation. It felt like the cleats were attached to my feet. I didn't know for a second or two if I was imagining it or not, but I could feel the shape of them on the ground under me. It seemed to take an age to pull the wet runners on, and as I headed out of T2, I wasn’t even sure I had pulled them on correctly. My feet felt so weird!

I started off steady in the run, passing a few, but looking at my watch, the pace was slow against the wind, hovering between high 6 and low 7 minute miles. I was closing on a guy from Ennis Tri Club, and although we were going pretty much the same pace, I said “f*ck it, it’s a race” and went by him. His reaction was to up his pace straight away and stay right on my shoulder. Goddam it, I couldn’t let him pass and the both of us started putting work into the run. At the turnaround on Nimmo’s Pier, we had the wind at our backs, and I picked up the pace. So did he. We were running strongly and passing people, with the watch reading sub 6 every time I looked down. It felt great, no stitch, no cramp, just good running. After we came off a gravel loop and back onto the prom, I upped the pace a little bit more and saw that he didn’t react. Homeward bound for the last kilometre, the first run I had enjoyed in a while!

Run Time: 20:08 (12/183, 6.6%)
    A wee bit surprised and annoyed I hadn’t come under the 20 minutes, but I suppose it was the taking it handy against the wind that let me have a strong second half of the run.

Overall Time: 1:15:34 (13/183, 7.1%)
    Overall, I was delighted with the race and my result. A truer reflection than the fourth place last week, and I am very pleased that I’m finishing in the top 10 per cent despite the swim.
    Nice to meet Catweazle, Amphkingwest and El D, who put in a fantastic race for a hard-earned third among a pretty competitive field.
    The race was well-organised and well-marshalled, strangely enjoyable and horrendous at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done yesterday dude. Savage conditions for it. I cycled the route the day before and the wind was in the opposite direction. Plus the weather was a lot beeter. Typical Galway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was very disappointed with myself, I had a good 5 minutes of slowly catching you on the bike to come up with a more deflating and cutting line than "getting tired Ronan"

Nothing wrong with that swim time - I dont know what Louisburgh was like but I found that tough. I reckon with Salthill being a coastal spot the standard of swimmers there is usually quite decent. Theres a time and a place for bilateral breathing and that race wasn't it :)

I found last year at Swinford that the more relaxed approach I took to the swim as it was such a long distance helped me, I ended up caning the last 200-300 metres of that race as I had plenty left in me. It ended up being my best swim of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done yesterday dude. Your biking is coming on for sure. I use bi-lat breathing in the pool on handy sets but other than that racing == every second stroke and hard training sets too.

What's your next race dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Another great race for your there ronanmac. Well done.

I was very disappointed with myself, I had a good 5 minutes of slowly catching you on the bike to come up with a more deflating and cutting line than "getting tired Ronan"
    I'm no longer signing up for Swinford as a relay team. Instead, I'm heading up to Mayo, parking the car and I'm going to wait for you to pass by so that I can heckle you...
    Well done yesterday dude. Your biking is coming on for sure. I use bi-lat breathing in the pool on handy sets but other than that racing == every second stroke and hard training sets too.

What's your next race dude?

Cheers El D. I've a lot to figure out on the swim front yet. Not sure what my next race is, heading off for some warm weather training soon (aka holidays). I have to step up to Olympic distance at some stage before the HIM, so that could be Brian Boru, who are putting on an Olympic this year as well as the sprint. Might do the Annaghdown Summer Solstice 10k next week before heading off on holidays, I have a 47 minute 10k PB that needs correcting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Another great performance and report Ronan. Yourself an CW are gas.
    Out of interest how would you rate the bike course? was it hilly or just rolling?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Another great performance and report Ronan. Yourself an CW are gas.
    Out of interest how would you rate the bike course? was it hilly or just rolling?

Definitely not hilly, not sure if you could even call it rolling. A few longish drags, but probably the flattest route you could find west of Galway city...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice one ! Your thinking on the swim does not seem to gel with the results - you still well up there. Sounds like a good recovery from a rocky start.

Your RR are starting to stand out for their inclusion of ...eh... human drama :). I'm starting to see a tri based soap opera.

Was talking to a guy who is considering FURST for his first marathon. He thinks it might help him avoid injury. Not sure about this as the runs involved seemed pretty brutal to me. I know you used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Might do the Annaghdown Summer Solstice 10k next week before heading off on holidays, I have a 47 minute 10k PB that needs correcting ;)

I'll say hello if I see you there. Are you still wearing the infamous shoes?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Nice one ! Your thinking on the swim does not seem to gel with the results - you still well up there. Sounds like a good recovery from a rocky start.

Your RR are starting to stand out for their inclusion of ...eh... human drama :). I'm starting to see a tri based soap opera.

Was talking to a guy who is considering FURST for his first marathon. He thinks it might help him avoid injury. Not sure about this as the runs involved seemed pretty brutal to me. I know you used it.

I have to use the human drama to spice up my race reports, seeing as I don't have the Lincoln Tunnel and Central Park as a backdrop!
    As for Furman FIRST, some of the workouts are definitely pacey, but it's only three days a week, perfect for the time-strapped/lazy/easily injured (I ticked all three boxes...). I think the highest mileage week I had for DCM last year was 32 or 34 miles. If he's prone to injury, this is definitely easier on the body.
    littlebug wrote: »
    I'll say hello if I see you there. Are you still wearing the infamous shoes?

I actually relegated those subtle shoes to lawnmower-wear this week, as I was beginning to get a few niggles from them. Replaced them today with a pair of day-glo green Sauconys. If you don't see me at Annaghdown, it's because your retinas have been burnt out by my new runners!

• Advertisement

Hill intervals today on the bike, my first time doing these. All I could say to keep me going was "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"! Used the first two hills on Seanaphéistín road, 11 intervals in all, 1 minute all out, 2 minutes active recovery. The going up was tough, the coming down a reminder of how lucky I am to live where I do, a beautiful view of sea, mountains, bog (that said, after the recent weather, I've told my wife that if we win the Lotto, to pack her bags and say her goodbyes as we're heading southern hemisphere!).

Distance: 35.66km
    Time: 1:16:57
    Ave/Max Speed:27.8/47.7kph
    Ave Cadence:74

Needing new shoes, I headed over to Oranmore to Amphibian King. Can't recommend the place enough, great service with the gait analysis and a brilliant variety of shoes. Staying with my previous garish taste, I went for a pair of Saucony Fastwitch 5 in subtle day-glo green... Tasteful!

AM
    The legs felt a bit tender this morning, after the physio gave them a going over yesterday. It seems that a mixture of soleus and planter fasciia issues were the cause of the heel pain, and a little treatment should see them grand again. I normally hate morning sessions but I got into the groove of this run quickly. The plan was a five mile tempo run, but while I was running about 6:35 for the first half, a mixture of weariness and running into the wind had me slow down considerably for the second half.

Route: Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 8.21km
    Time: 35:26
    Average Pace: 6:56 (min/miles)
    Ave/Max Heart: 160/171
    Weather: Breezy but a lovely dry morning

PM
    Like kids mitching off school, a few of us from work skipped down to the local beach for a quick swim session. The swell was surprising as Trá na Minna is as calm and safe a beach as you could find. Today, we were welcomed by rollers! Beautiful day to be in the water, though, and the temperature has really come on.
    Done: 850m

Bike this morning, out against the wind on a slight breeze. Felt like heavy work, no liveliness in the legs at all... Wasn't 100 metres gone from the house when I hit a small pot hole and one of the cable ties attaching the bottle cage to the aerobars snapped. Strange, unless there was too much tension in the cable?

Route: Tír an Fhia, Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 33.2km
    Time: 1:12:32
    Ave Speed: 27.5 kph
    Ave Cadence: 78rpm
    Ave/Max Heart: 139/165
    Weather: Breezy with a light shower

Thursday PM
    Short club run, nice turnout, was to do intervals the following morning so took it handy.
    Route: Indreabhán loop
    Distance: 4.63km
    Time: 22:43
    Average Pace: 4:54 (min/km)
    Ave/Max Heart: 150/170
    Weather: Warm and dry, pretty strong south-westerly breeze

Friday
    Nothing :(. Set the alarm for 5:45. A mixture of lethargy and an ill-tempered two year old who had climbed into the bed in the middle of the night left me tired and cranky. Kept postponing sessions as the day went on, knowing in my heart of hearts that it wasn't going to happen.

Saturday
    Hadn't done a decent run in ages, barely going over six miles in any run. Went out for 10, finished up with 11. No problem with the distance but tired afterwards.

Route: Home to Tismeáin to Gleann Mór to Poinnte and home
    Distance: 17.86km
    Time: 1:22:26
    Average Pace: 4:36 (min/km)
    Ave/Max Heart: 157/201?
    Weather: Breezy but dry (seems to be a lot of breezy days this summer)

Sunday
    Met up with my cousin down at Trá an Dóilín for a mixed session. Nice day. Started well with a Father's Day present of prescription transition Oakley sunglasses!
    Swim:
    Trá an Dóilín, lovely beach but the water is always a tad colder than the beaches on the other side of the penninsula due to the amount of water flushing through Greatman's Bay. Nice swim, though, the coral sand makes for great visibility. The cousin is much stronger than me on the swim, he tore away quite easily on the return leg.
    Done: 940 metres

Bike:
    Through on some shoes and a tshirt inside the trisuit, and headed off on the bikes. Back ceantar na nOileán, moderate breeze, nothing too hectic. It was great to be cycling with someone, no slacking allowed!
    Route: Fuirnis, Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 51.7km
    Time: 1:45:33
    Ave Speed: 29.4 kph
    Ave/Max Heart: 148/169
    Weather: Dry, warm, light breeze

Run:
    Got back to Trá an Dóilín and threw the bikes in the cousin's van. His "weakness" is his run, apparently (his swimming seems good and he has a strong biking background). We did a short run, more as a brick session than a run, and on a b*tch of a hilly course. No sign of run weakness on his part, though!
    Route: Trá an Dóilín loop, via Caladh Thadhg
    Distance: 4.64km
    Time: 20:01
    Average Pace: 4:01 (min/km)
    Ave/Max Heart: 161/173

All in all, a really nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Did you head to Annaghdown last night?

backspacer wrote: »
    Did you head to Annaghdown last night?

I'm afraid a bug among the kids put paid to that. Feeling ropey and have done nothing since Sunday. Heading on holidays today, hopefully everyone will be nice and healthy for the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

I'm afraid a bug among the kids put paid to that. Feeling ropey and have done nothing since Sunday. Heading on holidays today, hopefully everyone will be nice and healthy for the next few weeks!

Sure a holiday might be ideal the way the weather has turned here, will give a few weeks to pick up a few miles on you at the very least if no one else:D

Hopefully the bug will have passed and you'll enjoy the holiday, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Enjoy the holiday. Man, you get some amount of holidays in! :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Enjoy the holiday. Man, you get some amount of holidays in! :D

Ah, now! Twice in a year and the first was an in-law's birthday trip! It means I have to stay local for my A race, instead of disguising jaunts to Barcelona as races :D
    A good holiday, delighted to be back to our fine temperate climate of low winds and a steady 24 degrees centigrade :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

24 June
    Swim in Srebreno beach. The water wasn’t cold!
    500m approx

25 June
    AM
    B*tch of a run. Don’t know if it was the heat or not, but had to stop four times in the first three miles to get my breath back.
    Route: House to Kupari, Mlini and back
    Distance: 10km

PM
    Swim in Srebreno beach.
    500m approx

27 June
    AM
    Swim in Srebreno beach. Strangely enough, I was the only person there wearing a swim cap with a watch tucked into it 
    1200m

PM
    Intervals
    Route: Cilipi football pitch
    Distance: 8.7km
    Time: 41:15
    Pace: 6 x 800m, pace 3:27, 3:27, 3:28, 3:31, 3:27, 3:35
    Ave/Max Heart: 161/182
    Weather: Warm

28 June
    Swim at Srebreno beach
    500m

29 June
    There was no cycling initially on holidays as I was missing a nut from the bolt that tightened the seat post collar. It was a particular bolt as it had to fit down a small hole in the collar. There is no proper bike shop in Dubrovnik, and my bright idea of a jubilee clip ended up with this, my first cycle, practically sitting on the back wheel. In the end, I managed to angle-grind the corners off a hex nut, problem solved.
    The road down from the house is the main Adriatic highway, and is very busy and fairly narrow, so pretty much all my cycling was done in the Konavle valley, which is about a 8km journey on the main road from the turnoff. The surface on the valley road is good, full of up and downs, little traffic, and a constant roadkill trail of snakes and giant hedgehogs!

Route: Mlini to Mihanici, Konavle Valley
    Distance: 33.47km
    Time: 1:19:20
    Ave/Max Speed: 25.3kph/58.3kph
    Ave/Max HR: 136/229

30 June
    For a change, we headed up to northern Montenegro, to a mountain village called Zabljak in the Durmitor national park. From temperatures of 30plus degrees, things were much cooler in Zabljak at around 15 degrees, with plenty of rain!
    I was caught out in a heavy thunderstorm in this run, and it was a tough start, with an incline and possibly the altitude coming into effect.

Route: Zabljak
    Distance: 8.19km
    Time: 35:16
    Pace: 4:18
    Ave/Max Heart: 159/170
    Weather: Cool with heavy rain

2 July
    I brought the bike but left the bike clothes etc in Dubrovnik. Fool! No biking at altitude so, and no swimming either. The running was nice, seeing as it was much cooler than at sea level. Lovely tracks through fields, random monuments and mini-graveyards in the middle of nowhere. A strange but nice place.
    Route: Zabljak
    Distance: 16.1km
    Time: 1:13:25
    Pace: 4:33
    Ave/Max Heart: 151/172
    Weather: Cool and damp

3 July
    Back to the coast. Swim at Srebreno, followed by trip to the hospital as the youngest lad had bronchitis.
    Done: 1250m

5 July
    After an overnight stay in hospital for baby and mother, things were back to normal by Tuesday. Another bike spin into the valley.
    Route: Mlini to Lovorno, Konavle Valley
    Distance: 38.65km
    Time: 1:20:49
    Ave/Max Speed: 28.7kph/61.4kph
    Ave/Max HR: 146/173

6 July
    AM
    Back to the soccer pitch for 400m intervals.
    Distance: 9.51km
    Time: 51:02
    Pace: 12 x 400m, pace 3:22, 3:28, 3:22, 3:25, 3:25, 3:29, 3:26, 3:24, 3:22, 3:25, 3:22, 3:23
    Ave/Max Heart: 150/177

PM
    Swim at Srebreno.
    900m

7 July
    AM
    Slow bike on little enthusiasm.
    Route: Mlini to Pridvorje, Konavle Valley
    Distance: 37.07km
    Time: 1:26:06
    Ave/Max Speed: 25.8kph/59.1kph
    Ave/Max HR: 133/159

PM
    Swim at Srebreno. This swim was a big mental breakthrough for me, the first time I have done 1500 metres in open water without a break. The time was slow but just by doing it has helped me a lot in subsequent training.
    Done: 1520m

8 July
    A spin out to the Peljesac peninsula, to a little village called Zuljana. A quick swim while my wife entertained the lads on the beach. This place had the cleanest water I have ever swum in… ever!
    Done: 800m approx

9 July
    Long run around Mlini. Didn’t bother trying to keep to a pace, rather just get it done, as the heat was a killer, even at seven in the morning. I noticed that anytime I wasn’t in the shade (which was a lot), my pace dropped big time (the first five miles were run at under 5 min pace, the last mile at 5:51!).
    Route: Loops around Zupa Dubrovaka
    Distance: 20.93km
    Time: 1:48:15
    Pace: 5:10
    Ave/Max Heart: 155/175
    Weather: Hot, hot hot!

10 July
    AM
    Biking into the Valley of Dead Snakes and Hedgehogs!
    Route: Mlini to Ljuta, Konavle Valley
    Distance: 44.48km
    Time: 1:41:27
    Ave/Max Speed: 26.2kph/61.6kph
    Ave/Max HR: 133/161

PM
    Emboldened by the 1500m swim, I give an unbroken 2000m swim a lash for the first time. Srebreno beach as usual.
    Done: 2000m

12 July
    AM
    Hill intervals. Seven x 3min with 3 min recovery. No shortage of hills in Croatia, and the weather is the warmest week in recorded history. I am f*cked after this workout.
    Route: Mandaljena hill
    Distance: 30.41km
    Time: 1:29:43
    Ave/Max Speed: 20.3kph/54.5kph
    Ave/Max HR: 139/175

PM
    Swim at Srebreno
    Done: 750m

13 July
    AM
    Hottest day of our holidays, at 38 degrees. Even at 7am, with the sun just over the mountain, it was over 30. This interval session felt like it was done in a fan-assisted oven… I actually thought this session would be pretty easy, with the generous recovery breaks. It felt very tough though.
    Distance: 12km
    Time: 51:02
    Pace: 6 x 1200m, pace 3:42, 3:39, 3:42, 3:48, 3:47, 3:49
    Ave/Max Heart: 151/174

PM
    Swim at Srebreno. Glad to get into the water to cool down.
    Done: 1250m

14 July
    Bike. Beginning to get used to all the hills. Highest max speed I’ve recorded on the bike, I think.
    Route: Mlini to Ljuta, Konavle Valley
    Distance: 45.96km
    Time: 1:40:27
    Ave/Max Speed: 27.5kph/64kph
    Ave/Max HR: 137/163

15 July
    Last day of the holidays. I head down to the beach early to get a last swim in, as it’s a midday flight home. At 5:45am, I’m the only person there, apart from a council cleaner. By the time I get out of the water, there are a few locals getting in their morning swim, and my phone is missing from my shorts… B*stard!
    Done: 1010km

Holiday Totals
    Swim: 12180m
    Bike: 230.04km
    Run: 115.84km

Advertisement