Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Congrats on the new baby Ronan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

A combination of the new addition and a chest infection has meant it's been over a week since I've been running. It's been a fairly interuppted running schedule for a while now, looking back through the log, it's been the end of January since I ran over ten miles, which is not ideal Connemara half preparation.

I'm going to aim for twelve miles next Saturday. Today's run was a five miler. More planning has to go into training from now on, as my wife had a C section and I can't head out leaving the new baby and the 1 and a half year old with her, as the older lad is liable to jump up enthusiastically on Mam and baby! Today, we headed over to Spiddal for lunch, and for an excuse to get out of the house, and stopped at the in-laws on the way home, so I went out for my run from there. Nice run, but had to stop a few times as the chest was still very clogged up.

Distance: 5:05 miles
    Weather: Sunny and warm
    Surface: About two miles on the shore, and 3 miles on bog road
    Time: 37:36 (average pace 7:27)

My half marathon programme prescribes a 13, 14 and 15 miler, but with a 12 miler done at the end of January and nothing longer than 10 done since, and with Conamara coming up fast, I thought I had better put in an LSR before the big day.

Unfortunately, on Saturday, a mixture of baby visitors and dinner at my parents house meant I ran out of time and so my 13 miler turned into a 6.5 miler. A lovely day for a run though, it felt great to be out again.

Distance: 6:61 miles
    Weather: Sunny, with a chilly breeze
    Surface: Road
    Time: 49:17 (average pace 7:28)

No 13 miles, so I set out yesterday from Ros a Mhíl on what was a surprisingly cold day. The wind was cold, the rain was cold, and I was cold! I headed out the Seanaféistín road, a lovely road to run, but all uphill and right into the easterly wind. The pace was relatively slow and my legs felt really heavy, but I didn't mind too much as it was a case of putting in the miles more than anything else.

By the time I got to halfway, I was running an 8:19 average, the downhill running and the wind to my back got that down to 8:03 by the time I got home. I felt wrecked after, running into the heavy wind and rain left me with two bleeding nipples, and a bleeding toenail from pedicure neglect!

Glad to have it done, eight miles next weekend and then it's out to Leenane...

Distance: 13:03 miles
    Weather: Windy and cold
    Surface: Road
    Time: 1:44:53 (average pace 8:03)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

1:44 for a training run half marathon - good going.
    Is 1:40 still your goal for the half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great that you're back out there Rónan. I don't know you're how you're doing it with a new baby in the house!
    I had a drive up the Seanaféistín road last summer (with time to kill after missing the boat). Lovely scenery but very hilly and I can only imagine how horrible it was in "that" weather yesterday. Fair play!

• Advertisement

Sub430 wrote: »
    1:44 for a training run half marathon - good going.
    Is 1:40 still your goal for the half?

I reckon 1:40 is now my minimal goal and that I will take a tilt at 1:35. Not sure that Conamara is the half for such lofty ambitions though, but I think I'll have it as an aspirational target and see how things go on the day. What's your target half, Kildare?

littlebug wrote: »
    Great that you're back out there Rónan. I don't know you're how you're doing it with a new baby in the house!
    I had a drive up the Seanaféistín road last summer (with time to kill after missing the boat). Lovely scenery but very hilly and I can only imagine how horrible it was in "that" weather yesterday. Fair play!

Cheers, littlebug. As it happens, the new baby is remarkably docile, we're keeping our fingers crossed that he'll stay like that! My wife is on newborn duty, and I'm taking care of the older lad, so I'm lucky that we have plenty of relatives around, on both sides of the family, that don't mind taking him for an hour or two while Daddy heads out to clear his lungs and head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

1.40 minimal goal........Pish Posh I would fancy having a good cut at that myself. You are hedging!

1.35 needs to be your minimal goal, I have never ran Connamara so I will make allowances but sub 1.30 would be on for you on a flattish half judging from your Craughwell time.

(Above pressure build up is revenge for 3.30 marathon comment you made previously)

ronanmac wrote: »
    I reckon 1:40 is now my minimal goal and that I will take a tilt at 1:35. Not sure that Conamara is the half for such lofty ambitions though, but I think I'll have it as an aspirational target and see how things go on the day. What's your target half, Kildare?

Stop sandbagging. 1:35 without breaking sweat ;)
    Yep, Kildare for me.

catweazle wrote: »
    1.40 minimal goal........Pish Posh I would fancy having a good cut at that myself. You are hedging!

1.35 needs to be your minimal goal, I have never ran Connamara so I will make allowances but sub 1.30 would be on for you on a flattish half judging from your Craughwell time.

(Above pressure build up is revenge for 3.30 marathon comment you made previously)

Dearest Catweazle,
    My initial response to your inspirational and motivational words were, unfortunately, rendered illegible by boards.ie's swear-word filter. I am flattered that you believe I can run a half marathon at a faster pace than a recent ten miler, and will do my best to impersonate Sammy Kipketer while passing through Maam.

Of course, if I now fail to run the Conamara half under 1:30, I will be emotionally devasted and this, of course, will have serious implications for any future running I may or may not be capable of doing. That the same race last year was my first time ever to run a half in under two hours (and that only by four minutes) is, of course, inconsequential.

Of course, I have no doubt about your own stated ability to break 1:40. That would be entirely in keeping with the McMillan target of the 3:30 marathon we all hope to see smashed on April 11.

Looking forward to your heroics,
    Mise le meas,
    r :D

• Advertisement

Sub430 wrote: »
    Stop sandbagging. 1:35 without breaking sweat ;)
    Yep, Kildare for me.

Sandbagging, definitely not!!!! (I actually had to google sandbagging to see what it meant :o). Was actually thinking of entering Kildare myself, the new motorway makes the eastern half of the country much closer than it used to be! Will see closer to the time how available I will be to make cross-country day trips!

Two runs to update, one worse than the other!

Thursday, I went out for a tempo run (two miles easy, three miles 6:53, one mile easy). A beautiful day for running but my body wasn't cooperating. My legs felt very heavy, but worse, my innards were in complete turmoil from about two miles on. I've eaten nothing but trash in the past few weeks (I blame Easter, baby visitors bringing goodies, and everything/everybody else but myself :o). I wouldn't mind but I used to eat very healthily, but I've gone to the dogs altogether now. Am starting a post-Lent Lent today and getting back to non-trash.

On top of that, my chest and lungs felt very closed up, so much so that I had to stop a few times for a quick recovery (stopping my watch at the same time, of course ;)). Anyway, a run that didn't do too much to inspire a love of running

Distance: 6:13 miles
    Weather: Sunny and breezy
    Surface: Pavement and bog road
    Time: 44:29 (average pace 7:16)

Went out for a my taper LSR yesterday, an eight miler. Again, a lovely day for running. Left the young lad with my parents and headed out for a hillyish run (it's not too difficult to find hills around here). Anyway, prescribed pace was 7:42, and after four miles, I was breathing heavily through my nostrils, always a sign that I'm beginning to suffer. I'm not sure what's up, but my running is definitely more laboured than it was a few weeks ago. Coming up a hill from the beach, I was feeling pretty stupid for putting down 1:37 as a prediction time for the Conamara half (I would like to take this opportunity to thank Catweazle and Sub430 for giving me the confidence to make dumbass predictions :)).

Anyway, the prediction might be the least of my worries, as, since the 13 miler last week, I felt like I had slightly jarred my knee. Didn't seem to be anything to worry about, it felt fine to run on but just a bit delicate afterwards. It felt more than delicate yesterday evening though, a sharp pain around the knee cap and an unfamiliar mechanical sound when walking up the stairs. It still doesn't feel great this morning but I'm trying to stay optimistic before visiting the physio. She comes out from town on Wednesday so I'll have an idea what's up by then. Hopefully, I won't be going to Maam Cross as a spectator!

Distance: 8:05 miles
    Weather: A very nice day
    Surface: Road and shoreline
    Time: 1:00:37 (average pace 7:32)

Anyway, the prediction might be the least of my worries, as, since the 13 miler last week, I felt like I had slightly jarred my knee. Didn't seem to be anything to worry about, it felt fine to run on but just a bit delicate afterwards. It felt more than delicate yesterday evening though, a sharp pain around the knee cap and an unfamiliar mechanical sound when walking up the stairs. It still doesn't feel great this morning but I'm trying to stay optimistic before visiting the physio.

Aw sh1te, hopefully your knee will be ok. I'm sitting here typing with an ice pack on my knee, I would advise you to do the same just in case.
    If you're not injured you're well able for a 137, your training is testament to that.

Went to the physio today, diagnosed the knee injury and said I shouldn't go running for at least another ten days. That rules out this weekend's half :(:(:(.

Feeling a mixture of annoyance and down in the dumps. Might head out to Maam Cross on the day though, cheer on fellow boardsies if I recognise anyone!

Not sure what to aim for after this, maybe the Kildare half.

Sorry to hear that ronan, why dont you go for the Limerick run, less than a month away. See what pacing is still available maybe......at least it is early on in the season and there is plenty more racing to come!

Sorry to hear that ronan, why dont you go for the Limerick run, less than a month away. See what pacing is still available maybe......at least it is early on in the season and there is plenty more racing to come!

Cheers Catweazle, I think we may have the baptism on day of the Limerick run, plus I was half-considering doing the Croagh Patrick IMRA race on the day before that. Kildare might fit the bill more. I'm blaming Lionel Messi for my injury though, all that virtual tackling on Tuesday night did my knee in!

I was thinking of doing that Croke Patrick run myself, never bothered to check up on the date though, day before Joey Hannon so I will be giving it a miss too. Its a pity as there are very few IMRA this side of the country.

Never put you as a Gunners fan, I bet Perry Groves was your favourite growing up

http://www.weloveperry.com/hair.shtml

Went to the physio today, diagnosed the knee injury and said I shouldn't go running for at least another ten days. That rules out this weekend's half :(:(:(.

Feeling a mixture of annoyance and down in the dumps. Might head out to Maam Cross on the day though, cheer on fellow boardsies if I recognise anyone!

Ah no Ronan sorry to hear that :( Such a pity to miss the race that's on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Hi. Sorry to hear about the injury. Have been enjoying reading your log. Have been intending to go for a sub 1:40 in Connemara this weekend myself. Picked up a groin strain in the last week, but I think I can still run it at least, which I should be grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sorry to hear that ronanmac. Hope it clears up ok and you get back on form soon. You've done the work so should get a rewarding day soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Bad news so close to your home event Ronan. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll bounce back well after some rest. Try not to get too down over it. Easier said than done I know......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thats bad luck Ronan. You had that 1:37 in the bag as well.

Still plenty more races this year to aim for and at least it's not a long term injury.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, very much appreciated. Physio said that cycling is ok, so I plan to head out on Sunday to do some spectating and cheering!
    Never put you as a Gunners fan, I bet Perry Groves was your favourite growing up
    Actually, I hated Perry Groves because of his red hair. When he landed at Highbury, I thought, "fantastic, a redhead playing for Arsenal, my oft-taunted hair colouring is about to be redeemed." Then, he turned out to be sh*te. At least, that's what I recalled at the time, as reading his autobiography recently, he seemed to be of the opinion that he was a bit of a world beater :confused:. I thought everything would be ok, though, when Eddie McGoldrick landed. "An addition to the class heritage of Irish Gooners," I said at the time. Once again, sadly, I was wrong :p.
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Thats bad luck Ronan. You had that 1:37 in the bag as well.
    Cheers, BrokenMan. The more I think about it though, the more I might have overestimated my target. At least this way, I'll be able to try for 1:37 on a flat course in a month or so!

Wash out your mouth Ronan!
    We all live in a Perry Groves world..

http://vodpod.com/watch/3215710-perry-groves-refuses-to-wear-a-spurs-shirt-shirt-of-hurt

Sorry to hear about the injury, you can pace me in Kildare if you like. :)

Hmm... the divine intervention of boards.ie just might get me out to Leenane this weekend. I noticed yesterday that I had a PM from the day before, from a fellow boardsie, offering a second opinion on the knee injury and an alternative treatment.

I had an appointment with him yesterday evening, he had the same diagnosis as the previous physio but said with different treatment, that there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to run on Sunday. Anyway, I'm going to see him again today and will make a decision then whether I should pick up my race number or not. Excited at the prospect of running, now that I had it ruled out! Here's hoping...

This is like something from Chariots of Fire, a triumph of will over adversity. Was Bobby Ewing in your shower when you want to the bathroom this morning :D

Good luck with the 2nd opinion, hopefully will see you out there

Hope it works out for you Ronan!

Picked up race number yesterday evening, knee feels better (I swear!) after treatment over the last two days. Going to give it a lash today see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

great news - you got to love the last minute drama of it all!!
    Best of luck today

• Advertisement

Bet you wished you were still injured coming up that hill, what a tough day at the office

Advertisement