Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

catweazle wrote: »
    Bet you wished you were still injured coming up that hill, what a tough day at the office

Jaysus! I found it much, much tougher than last year. I remember running last year thinking how enjoyable a route it was. No such moments this year! Whatever about the half being tough, I would say the full was a nightmare altogether with that sun, it's not exactly a shady course.

I feel a bit silly writing a report for a race I declared myself out of... it feels kind of like people giving condolences for your own funeral, only for it to transpire that you weren't dead at all!

I noticed on Thursday that I had a PM from BJohnson, who is a chiropractor in Galway. He reckoned he could do some work on the knee that would get me to the start line, and sure enough, by the second session on Saturday afternoon, the knee felt much freer. Feeling irrationally delighted, I headed from his clinic to the Marriott to pick up my race number.

I was keeping an eye out for boardsies when I got to Leenane, saw RedB but he disappeared again on me so I didn't get a chance to speak to him. I met a bloke I used to know from home who was aiming for a 1:34 finish. I really wasn't feeling very confident about the run, what with injury and training interruptions but he gave a bit of a confidence booster before I got to the start line.

I knew what to expect with the first hill, following last year's race, and took it reasonably handy. Things were going okay when I felt the knee heating up (?) at about 3.5 miles, and although it tightened, it never got so bad that it affected my running in any way. Instead, my lungs just felt like they weren't opening and I was struggling a bit early on. I kept having to remind myself to run my own race, as I was locking myself onto other people's pace.

At about six and a half miles, though, I really began to fade and started going a bit backwards. Then, some bloke with an American accent, who looked exactly like a Hollywood depiction of an early '80s US runner (perfectly coiffured moustache, receding but impeccable hair, tanned and short) came up beside me and said "Come on, buddy, let's keep it going." Ok, says I to myself, and ran along with him. After about two miles of this, though, I had to remind myself again to run my own race, so I dropped off a bit and he went on. I was very grateful for his help, though, as I know if I didn't meet him, I would have dropped off the pace even more and wallowed in some suffering self-pity :o.

Shortly after the bridge in Maam, I saw Slogger Jogger and said hello. I think he may have been wondering who the hell I was, judging by the confused look! At the bottom of the Hell of the West (or the pits of Hell, I suppose!), I came across the Tom Selleck lookalike again and while I ran with him for a while, he wasn't long opening up a margin.

Last year, I had to walk up some of that last hill, and although I really, really, really wanted to do the same this year, I managed to keep going. Once I got over the top, I aimed to up the pace going downhill, but I think I may have done so too early as I was hit by a stitch almost straight away. Again, a case of keep on keeping on, although that last stretch after the downhill just seemed to go on forever.

Coming to the finish line, I saw my father holding up my son, who gave me a high five and a confused look as to where the hell his Daddy came from! I felt shattered afterwards, didn't feel the same elation or enjoyment as I did last year as it just felt like a much tougher run. Garmin time was 1:38:26, gun time 1:38:22, average 7:27. Slowest mile was mile eleven, going up the hill, at 8:41, fastest was mile three at 6:53.

In retrospect, of course, a very enjoyable day, and I'm looking forward to trying a flatter half-marathon soon, maybe Kildare. The whole thing, as ever, was extremely well-organised, which is one of the main reasons for the Connemarathon filling up early every year. Congrats to the ultras and the marathoners especially, for what had to have been a tough day. Oh, and thanks again, BJohnson, the knee doesn't feel bad at all today!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Well done ronan, great run in tough conditions.
    If you decide on Kildare let me know.

are you sure Tom Selleck was not a mirage/guardian angel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Rónan, that's great running in those conditions! 8.41 up the hill :eek: Christ almighty!
    Bjohnson seems to have worked some magic there. It was well worth getting that second opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

118-118_1430231c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Congrats. Great run in those conditions and given the injury. The only two half marathons I have properly raced so far have been Connemara. I'm very intrigued as to what kind of time difference there would be between it and an average fairly flat half. The hell of the west killed my chances of the sub 1:40 in the end.

Congrats. Great run in those conditions and given the injury. The only two half marathons I have properly raced so far have been Connemara. I'm very intrigued as to what kind of time difference there would be between it and an average fairly flat half. The hell of the west killed my chances of the sub 1:40 in the end.

I've done four half marathons, one in 2002 (2 hours 20, I had never run over 10 miles before :o), Connemara last year (1:56), Waterford last December which was flat (1:42) and Connemara again on Sunday. I'll probably sign up to Kildare so that should give a pretty good indication of the difference between a flat and hilly marathon, it coming up so soon.

Out for a cycle this evening around the Muicineach loop, lovely weather but the smell of gorse fires everywhere. Short spin but a bit of work in it. 15 miles, 45:30 minutes. It's been a while since I've been on the bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

ronanmac wrote: »
    I'll probably sign up to Kildare so that should give a pretty good indication of the difference between a flat and hilly marathon, it coming up so soon.

Heads up, the entry for this race closes next week. See page 3 of the race faq's

I'm doing Kildare myself, hope to see you there

DustyBin wrote: »
    Heads up, the entry for this race closes next week. See page 3 of the race faq's

I'm doing Kildare myself, hope to see you there

Cheers for the heads up, DustyBin, registered today. See you on the Curragh of Kildare!

• Advertisement

First post-Conamara half run today, and it felt like a struggle. Between a headwind for the first half of the run, and heavy legs, I was glad to finish it. Run was 3 x 2000 metre intervals at 6:30 pace, never made that pace though! The knee held up well, it felt a bit tight near the end but the treatment I got yesterday, coupled with another session on Friday, should sort it out. Both hamstrings felt really tight at the end but that's only to be expected!

Signed up for Kildare half today, then realised it's on the weekend after the Croagh Patrick IMRA. Not sure if it's a good idea to do both two weekends in a row?

Distance: 6.5 miles, mile warmup and warmdown, 3 x 2000m intervals at 6:39, 6:42, 6:41
    Weather: Cool breeze to start but warm second half with the sun out and the wind at my back
    Surface: Pavement and some bóithríní!
    Time: 50:17 (average pace 7:44)

God help you Ronan, while Dusty seems like a nice fellow did you see what happened him when he got Eoin Ryan in his sights. I have a feeling he is out chopping logs and catching chickens barehanded like in Rocky 4 as we speak getting ready to open up a can of whupass on you

God help you Ronan, while Dusty seems like a nice fellow did you see what happened him when he got Eoin Ryan in his sights. I have a feeling he is out chopping logs and catching chickens barehanded like in Rocky 4 as we speak getting ready to open up a can of whupass on you

nearly wet myself laughing at that one - thanks catweazle

I have no idea what this means, except that it's instilling fear in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I have no idea what this means, except that it's instilling fear in me!

It ought to... his runner mugger reputation precedes him :D

Well done on your pb in those conditions on that course, I doubt many could claim a pb there!

Janey lads I don't know what to say, all this love you're showing me is just a little overwhelming ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Ronanmc. Congrats!

My wife, the two boys and I headed out for a spin yesterday, so I threw the wetsuit into the boot to give swimming a go! I bought the wetsuit (a cheap Aquasphere suit with the word "Rookie" helpfully emblazoned in silver lettering on the legs and arms) on eBay a few years back but had never used it, mostly because I couldn't close the zip on it until recently :o.

Anyway, we headed back to Carna, to a lovely beach at An Aird Mhóir. I have to say that I was pretty anxious about getting in the water, as I'm rarely in Irish waters except when wearing a drysuit, thermal undersuit, rock boots, gloves and a five mill hood :eek:. The tide was pretty far out, and by the time the water was up to my knees, I reckon that I had walked halfway to Aran.

The only purpose to the swim was to see how long I could keep the front crawl going before taking a break, so that I would have an idea if a sprint triathlon was a realistic proposition this year. I told my wife to time me once I started swimming. She did, and 17 seconds later, I stood up, freezing in extreme wussiness! Scuba-diving is much more civilised!

Anyway, I gave it a few more attempts, but between the cold and my totally inadequate swimming, I called it a day. I can't see me being able to do anything other than running and running/cycling events this year. I'm not sure if my swimming is beyond redemption, but I'm pretty sure that yesterday's experiment put paid to any triathlon attempts in 2010.

Fair play Ronan, I using the Joey Hannon Pool based tri in May as my excuse not to go out in the open water until after. The sheer breathlessness of swimming in that cold makes it impossible to judge your swimming prowess.

Can you breaststroke - plenty of people in the tris just go with breaststroke. You wont be losing a huge amount of time to the average swimmer going this route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The only purpose to the swim was to see how long I could keep the front crawl going before taking a break, so that I would have an idea if a sprint triathlon was a realistic proposition this year. I told my wife to time me once I started swimming. She did, and 17 seconds later, I stood up, freezing in extreme wussiness! Scuba-diving is much more civilised!

Anyway, I gave it a few more attempts, but between the cold and my totally inadequate swimming, I called it a day. I can't see me being able to do anything other than running and running/cycling events this year. I'm not sure if my swimming is beyond redemption, but I'm pretty sure that yesterday's experiment put paid to any triathlon attempts in 2010.

I'd say you lasted about twice as long as I did when I carried out a similar exercise this time last year (or maybe even in May?). When I tried on my first wetsuit in the shop and came out to show MrsB, the shop assistant had to tell me that the zip actually went at the back :D:o:D so trust me, I know that rookie feeling. Between the cold, the waves and the sand swirling underwater messing me up, I lasted less than 10 secs. I think its just too early to attempt open water swimming unless you're well used to it. I was seriously doubting my ability to swim in open water at all until the local tri club started swimming in a lake in late May / early June (?) and even then I had 2 swim caps on. A pontoon 200m parallel to the slipway gave me the confidence to do a Tri at the end of June and even then surviving the swim was my main goal. The first twenty seconds of that was very frightening and I wanted to stop but then I calmed down, followed the crowd and got into an easy swim rhythm. One arm after the other, same as one foot after the other in running, a relaxed kick and you'll get around. If you practice in a pool then you'll build up your confidence so it'll only be the elements to conquer after that. You'll be away from any wave motion after a minute and the water temp should be reasonable in the summer. You'll warm up also after a minute and maybe have 2 swim caps to ensure your head doesn't get cold.

No bother to ya,:). Get back swim training pronto.

• Advertisement

Back to work today for the first time in a month, my "paternity" break over. Last time, I think I was glad to get back to work, such was the trauma of the first child! I enjoyed the past four weeks though, it was nice to spend so much time together.

I didn't get a run in over the weekend, I had hoped to get out for a ten miler but the eldest lad was under the weather so that put paid to that. I did get to read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall, however, an interesting book. I had been toying a bit recently with this barefoot running/Five Finger stuff, and after reading the book, I think I might give it a lash. My only worry is that changing running technique at the moment will end up in injury and interrupt momentum. I'll see how I'm feeling after the Kildare half...

Anyway, I managed to get in an eight mile run at lunch time today. A lovely day, but I think I need to start wearing sunblock. The freckle count has exploded to thousands to million...

And despite the welcome encouragement from catweazle and RedB, the shower is the closest I have come to water since my "swim" last week!

Distance: 8 miles
    Weather: Nice and warm
    Surface: Bog road
    Time: 60.07 (average pace 7:31)

Hmm... balancing the extending family with work and training is turning out to be tougher than I thought! Getting the time to train is not easy. A way around it would be to return to the dreaded 6am runs, but with the eldest lad waking at about 6:15 these days, that's not really an option. Here's hoping he'll settle back into his post 7am routine soon!

Anyway, I was supposed to do a six mile run on Wednesday, but didn't get out until yesterday while at work, and even at that, I was short on time so I decided to make it a five miler and just go out a bit harder than usual. I had to stop twice early on just to let my lungs and heart catch up with the rest of me :o.

Distance: 5.1 miles
    Weather: Cool with a nice breeze
    Surface: Pavement and various side roads
    Time: 34:51 (average pace 6:50)

It rained yesterday during my long run. It's been so long since I ran in the rain that it felt good as opposed to annoying. I suspect it's just the summer setting in however...:(

I took a glass of the fabled chia seeds shortly before the run, and whether it was the seeds or not, I definitely felt stronger during the run than I would normally. A relatively flat route, from the house to the pier in Ros a Mhíl and back.

Distance: 13.1 miles
    Weather: Raining (den den diddle diddle den), raining on my head
    Surface: Road
    Time: 1:36:37 (average pace 7:22)

Ohhhh thats a nice quick run, are you thinking of doing Achill, its another Connemara hill wise but again the scenery is magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Wow, very impressive training run there.

Ohhhh thats a nice quick run, are you thinking of doing Achill, its another Connemara hill wise but again the scenery is magnificent

I think (hope) I'll be away on holidays at the start of July so it's unlikely that I'll make Achill. Next up is the Kildare half on the 9th. My marathon training plan starts in early July so I have to figure out what I'll do between now and then. Thinking of doing the Annaghdown summer solstice 10k, not sure what else. I'll have to have a look at what's about in the west. You doing Achill or is it triathlons from now on?

Wow, very impressive training run there.

Cheers, faster than I expected. Just one of those random runs where I felt good right through... It was either the rain or the chia seeds!

Yeah I have a wedding in Mulranny the day after, so it suits nicely + mrs c loves the Achill half. What day is that Annaghdown run on again, i remember the flyer at Craughwell, thats literally a few miles from the house so I will put the name down if I am free

What day is that Annaghdown run on again, i remember the flyer at Craughwell, thats literally a few miles from the house so I will put the name down if I am free

Can't find any mention of this year's version online, but I presume the date is June 21.

• Advertisement

Once again, I missed Tuesday's run, so I managed to shoehorn it in yesterday, and hopefully, will get a chance to get the schedule back on track with another run today.

Anyway, I was working in Longford yesterday, so took the opportunity to go for a run along the Royal Canal in Ballymahon. Running in the midlands is very different to running at home. The air is different, the land is flat, even the types of birds you see are different. Running along the canal was a very pleasant change.

I was supposed to do 5 x 1k intervals but due to lack of time and lungs, it became 4. Pace for the intervals were 5:58, 6:05, 6:18 and 6:31. It wouldn't make for a motivating line graph!

Distance: 5.1 miles
    Weather: Overcast, light shower but muggy
    Surface: Canal towpath (mixture of tar, gravel and grass)
    Time: 38:37 (average pace 7:35)

Advertisement