Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Decaux signs start appearing - Shocking.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I missed it :(, do you have a recording of it?

They might have it on their podcast bit tomorrow.

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/podcasts/1/segmented-breakfast-show.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They might have it on their podcast bit tomorrow.

http://newstalk.ie/newstalk/podcasts/1/segmented-breakfast-show.xml
    Cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Here's the radio podcast (haven't listened to it yet, but well done anyway MadsL :) )

http://83.138.170.50/podcasts/audio/1007%20Bike%20scheme.mp3

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

MadsL wrote: »

Also on the bikes debate - read this analysis on Paris.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4289943.ece

Key points:

Paris’s vélibs are used for 120,000 trips a day, each one averaging 22 minutes. However, the pedal boom has been attended by a jump in cycle deaths and injuries. Three vélib riders have been crushed under the wheels of heavy vehicles and about 70 have been injured since January this year. After a 35-year-old violinist was killed by a municipal bus in a bus lane in May, her father called on the Mayor to suspend the vélib scheme.

That article reminds me of the band-the-bendy-bus campaign that was waged in London whereby every accident relating to the bus was blamed on the bus.

Luxembourg are putting in a smilar bike scheme and I note that each station has a sign indicating the number of free spaces at other stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the video recording of the council meeting is now up
    http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/site/#pp16545

at the emergency motions voting at the end

the council had a right go at the city manager but he said

no motion can interfere with the contract.

• Advertisement

A good idea before one is allowed to open up an account with this service is to have a compulsory practical training course with an exam at the end of it on how to Cycle through traffic.

Topic covered in it would be how to use traffic lights, bus lanes and the use of lights on a push bike. This course could run on the similar lines as the FAS safe pas course and be made renuable every few years, They should also make the use of cycle helmets and high visibility vests cumpulsory for all cyclists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Topic covered in it would be how to use traffic lights, bus lanes and the use of lights.

They should have an exam like that for car drivers too. :D

Don't forget pedestrians! We could require some sort of proficiency test to buy shoes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

On a more serious note -
    They should also make the use of cycle helmets and high visibility vests cumpulsory for all cyclists.

Why? All this does is reinforce the public perception that cycling is 'dangerous' i.e. not done by average normal people, and it's a short easy and inevitable step from there to assuming they're to blame when anything goes wrong.

This is exactly what has happened to motorcycling since the helmet law was introduced.

Helmet laws make cycling 'safer' because they discourage cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ninja900 wrote: »
    On a more serious note -

Why? All this does is reinforce the public perception that cycling is 'dangerous' i.e. not done by average normal people, and it's a short easy and inevitable step from there to assuming they're to blame when anything goes wrong.

This is exactly what has happened to motorcycling since the helmet law was introduced.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

on joe duffy now...2:20pm

daithi doolan is on liveline now, and defending the scheme to hilt, im surprised.

somebody must have pulled his choke chain

ninja900 wrote: »
    On a more serious note -

Manditory cycle helmets certainly have not discouraged cycling in Australia. Western Australia was the first state in the world to introduce Cycle Helmets, the rest of the country followed. Since 1992 serious head injuries have reduced significantly thus cutting the cost of the states medical bill. In fact many cycle clubs in Ireland recommend them and those participating in road circuts must have them.

My Sister won't let her two daughters outside the gate with out them. I think It would be a great move for Ireland to push this law before any of the Eurocrats try to take the credit for it. The Irish governments have already done a fine job being the first in Europe to introduce the plastic bag levy and smoking ban.

I think a mandatory helmet law along with fluorescent PPE should be introduced in time before the capital is flooded with thousands of reckless "born again" cyclists. I ride a motorbike and wear a florescent top for my own safety. Cumpulsory Cycle helmets will save lives and the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tell all your friends to be careful this weekend while they are out in Dublin. Mail them this link, and ask them to spread the word. Warn your friends and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2xiMQtqFA

Tell all your friends to be careful this weekend while they are out in Dublin. Mail them this link, and ask them to spread the word. Warn your friends and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2xiMQtqFA

its the pedestrians fault for jaywalking...

Tell all your friends to be careful this weekend while they are out in Dublin. Mail them this link, and ask them to spread the word. Warn your friends and family

+1
    its the pedestrians fault for jaywalking...
    It dose not help to have your vision blocked from watching potential Jaywalkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TechnicalGroup

I want to make it clear that I don’t have, or claim to have, any information that is not already in the public domain.

Having said that, from the information that is in the public domain, I believe that the deal between Dublin City council and JC Decaux, swapping the space on public footpaths for 126 billboards in exchange for a couple of hundred bikes has all the hallmarks of a corrupt deal. I simply cannot believe that, knowing the facts that are public, that any local authority in the country would agree to this deal, without someone in charge being either blackmailed or bribed to agree to it.

Again, I must stress that I have no information about blackmail or bribery, I am going solely on the information in the public domain, which is pretty flabbergasting:

JC Decaux will give Dublin City Council 500 bicycles. To put it in context, bicycles are currently being advertised by Halford’s at €109.99 each. Granted, JC Decaux are putting a bit of electronic jiggery-pokery into the bikes to try to prevent theft (ha!) but I presume that if you are buying 500 bikes you get a rather better price than if you are buying just one. Also, there is no VAT to pay since they are not being ‘sold’, so for a round figure, let’s say that the bikes will cost €100 each – total, €50K

JC Decaux have not released the pricing for the 126 advertising panels which they will sell, but the panels will be the same size as ones in bus shelters which are sold by Clear Channel which cost between €250 and 450 each per fortnight. It should be noted that the JC Decaux billboards will be put in much more prominent places (mostly blocking footpaths) but let’s take a very conservative figure of an average of €300 per fortnight. That is €7,800 for each billboard per year, or just under a €1M per year for all 126.

So for a once-off donation of fifty grand, JC Decaux walk away with a cool million every year, forever.

There is an excellent article on this rotten deal here.

I'm fed up sneering. I don’t want any more innuendo. I want to say it straight. I believe the information above is more than enough to prove that this deal is corrupt. The courts accept circumstantial evidence all the time. Where, looking at all the circumstances of a case, even without direct proof, a judge or jury conclude that the only reasonable explanation is guilt, they are entitled to find that an accused is guilty.

If someone from JC Decaux or Dublin City Council wants to argue that €50K once-off in exchange for a million a year forever has an innocent explanation, let them do so from the witness box.

I want to make a citizen’s arrest.
    I want to bring a private prosecution.
    I want your help to do this.

If you have any information, or can offer any resources, please contact me on stopdublincorruption@gmail.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The bikes are probably more like €400 each, though your point about us getting massively shortchanged is still valid.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    The bikes are probably more like €400 each, though your point about us getting massively shortchanged is still valid.

The fact that we don't know the cost is the problem. If DCC wants to buy bicycles for its citizens, why not just pay the money. If it wants to sell advertising space, sell it for money, then we know (and can compare) the price of everything.

• Advertisement

Industry analyst we spoke to puts it at between €100-150m to Decaux.

Bikes cost €400 each plus maintainance (some cities use young offenders as a community projecvt to maintain the bikes)

Oddly there's to be no ads on the bikes - surely DCC could just get a big sponser to cover running costs.

Anyway get that link our to your friends blogs etc. We need to warn people to take care and not step out from behind these just like we warn about buses.

Buses are necessary, these are not.

Stark wrote: »
    I doubt it very much. These bikes weigh a ton and can be imported from China for buttons.

Bikes cost €400 each plus maintainance (some cities use young offenders as a community projecvt to maintain the bikes)

There is no agreement in place for the maintneance or replacement of the bikes when they are vandalised or stolen. When they are gone, they are gone, but JCDecaux will collect their €1m per year forever.

So for a once-off donation of fifty grand, JC Decaux walk away with a cool million every year, forever.

wrong the deal is only for 15 years, most of what you said is total exaggeration and incorrect not helpful at all

wrong the deal is only for 15 years, most of what you said is total exaggeration and incorrect not helpful at all

Do you honestly think they will take these down after 15 years. They aren't even complying with planning conditions laid down now.

i don't think they'll be there forever

Im sure that the companies that is advertising on these offending bill boards are not complaining with all the media and photo attention they are getting. JC Decaux should charge a higher rate for them while they last. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

This is an absolute disgrace. The Government are selling off our footpaths. Who voted these fcukers in over and over again? Oh yeah, you did.

Altogether now: "You're gonna reap just what you sow"

IanCurtis wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace. The Government are selling off our footpaths. Who voted these fcukers in over and over again? Oh yeah, you did.

Altogether now: "You're gonna reap just what you sow"
    Galatians 6:7 :)

• Advertisement

Luke 13:33
    but I must needs walk to-day and to-morrow and the day following, for it must not be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

:D:D:D

Advertisement