Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Decaux signs start appearing - Shocking.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Metrobest wrote: »
    Brian, I assume such a scheme is not in operation in your city, because if it was you wouldn´t be talking like that. On the contrary the public amenity is first class. Anything that improves mobility in the city without causing more pollution has to be welcomed with open arms. And if the tradeoff is having to stare at a few advertisments, it´s one most people are willing to tolerate when they see the benefits these bikes bring.
    Metro, I have lived in and visited quite a few cities around the world in my time. In fairness, I have never heard of this bike hire lark with the exception of Amsterdam where it seems to be on an informal basis.

I see no advantantage in the bike hire scheme for anybody - tourists or locals. Who would need it??? Nobody and in the event that a tourist does then let the private sector deal with it. Environmental value is almost zero while the adverts amount to visual clutter in the city. Plus you have to factor in the power usage of these units and that a fleet of vans have to around and service them every two weeks (if the ads were to change every cycle).
    Final point. In Barcelona the bikes are for residents, not tourists. It´s essentially a new form of transport infrastructure that takes people out of cars and public transport. You have to register on the website and receive the card in your Spanish address. And the machines are only in Spanish and Catalan. So that´s why tourists don´t come home raving about Bicing in Barcelona.

If you're a local you'll buy a bike. Simple as that.
    In Paris locals register with Velib for an annual charge. Tourists can purchase a 24 hour voucher for 1 euro. It´s a wonderful scheme for locals and tourists. It was the first time I stayed in Paris and did not have to use a taxi to get home at night. Cycling along the Seine on Sunday (when they close off one of the quays to traffic) and along by Notre Dame was another highlight. Please be aware that Velib has/is changing Paris for the better, and to say it can´t do the same for Dublin is extremely naive.

Let private companies do the hiring. This is not the business of the city council. There are plenty of other amenities that the city needs to offer instead of bikes. More swiming pools would be nice for starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

BrianD wrote: »
    There are plenty of other amenities that the city needs to offer instead of bikes. More swiming pools would be nice for starts.

Swimming pools are great but don´t do much for mobility in the city (except within the pool itself :D)

Would you be supportive of scheme where JC agreed to build a number of swimming pools in return for a similar number of on-street advertisements?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Metro, I have lived in and visited quite a few cities around the world in my time. In fairness, I have never heard of this bike hire lark with the exception of Amsterdam where it seems to be on an informal basis.

"this bike hire lark" referring to subscription-based on-street bicycle rental systems such as those in Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Vienna etc is quite new.

In Amsterdam rental is for tourists only. They already have a bicycle culture there.
    I see no advantantage in the bike hire scheme for anybody - tourists or locals.
    • directly promoting the use of cycling using the rental bikes
    • which gets some people to buy their own
    • both of which increasing the numbers of cyclists on the streets
    • which adds safety in numbers and puts more pressure for better and more cycling lanes, parking etc
    • which in turn makes cycling more attractive and increases the numbers of cyclists again
    And this leads to...
    • less air pollution
    • less noise pollution
    • less congested streets
    • more mobility
    • more people getting exercise
    • a more pleasant city to live and work in
    And I'm going to add again - for about the fifth time on this thread - this all works best and quicker with proper scale as Paris has. The signs of the above will be limited in Dublin because of the low scale.
    Who would need it??? Nobody and in the event that a tourist does then let the private sector deal with it.

That's doublespeak. Nonsense.

Just think about what you are saying here: First you ask who would need it. Then you answer "nobody". But then you leave it open that tourists might actually need or use it.
    If you're a local you'll buy a bike. Simple as that.

Paris has shown that far more locals than those who would have bought a bike before the rental system was launched are cycling now (on the rental bikes and on their own bikes).
    Let private companies do the hiring. This is not the business of the city council. There are plenty of other amenities that the city needs to offer instead of bikes. More swiming pools would be nice for starts.

Why not let private companies sort out swimming pools? :pac:

Promoting cycling crosses the lines of issues such as improving the environment, mobility/transport, and public health. Swimming pools have far fewer advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

monument wrote: »
    "this bike hire lark" referring to subscription-based on-street bicycle rental systems such as those in Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Vienna etc is quite new.

In Amsterdam rental is for tourists only. They already have a bicycle culture there.

• directly promoting the use of cycling using the rental bikes
    • which gets some people to buy their own
    • both of which increasing the numbers of cyclists on the streets
    • which adds safety in numbers and puts more pressure for better and more cycling lanes, parking etc
    • which in turn makes cycling more attractive and increases the numbers of cyclists again
    And this leads to...
    • less air pollution
    • less noise pollution
    • less congested streets
    • more mobility
    • more people getting exercise
    • a more pleasant city to live and work in
    And I'm going to add again - for about the fifth time on this thread - this all works best and quicker with proper scale as Paris has. The signs of the above will be limited in Dublin because of the low scale.

That's doublespeak. Nonsense.

Just think about what you are saying here: First you ask who would need it. Then you answer "nobody". But then you leave it open that tourists might actually need or use it.

Paris has shown that far more locals than those who would have bought a bike before the rental system was launched are cycling now (on the rental bikes and on their own bikes).

Why not let private companies sort out swimming pools? :pac:

Promoting cycling crosses the lines of issues such as improving the environment, mobility/transport, and public health. Swimming pools have far fewer advantages.

Personally, i cant wait to use these bikes. There need to be a lot more of them though, with a lot more spaces for leavong them back too.
    They are fantastic in Barcelona. The locals use them all the time.

Taxi drivers HATE tem. I wonder why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There's a new guy in town...Patrick St/Dean St.

SMDC0251.jpg

SMDC0252s.jpg

SMDC0253sm.jpg

SMDC0254s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So dropping litter is bad, but defacing our streetscape in the interests of private profit is just fine. :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Apart from bikes, which are surely a reasonable enough thing in their own right, can ANYONE here who defends these things, give us a reason why these enormous adframes are a desirable thing for Dublin, on their own merit?

Discount the bikes, or Paris, or Barcelona, for just a moment. I'd like to know why Dublin needs giant adframes like these. What in the name of God is desirable about that monstrosity in Patrick Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

oh gosh, now I know what those black "poles" are for... for the bigger versions of of the JCD signs...

And I was so naive thinking this might be for electronic traffic signs or something similarly useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Metrobest wrote: »
    Some clarifications. In relation to funding Bicing in Barcelona the city raised existing parking charges for the street parking - that´s where Bicing´s funding comes from. This was imposed on drivers without consultation, as. the Barcelona model is to present solutions to citizens as a fait accompli, rather than the paralysis by analyis that makes it difficult to deliver change in Dublin. Crucially, however, the city council here has a good reputation for its planning schemes and therefore it has the political capital to deliver initiatives like Bicing without too much consultation. What´s happening here is that areas on the fringe of the Bicing network are crying out for racks in their areas.

The City Council in Dublin does not have the trust of its citizens (for good reason when you look at the planning shambles that is Dublin in the last 15 years) nevertheless on this issue I think the City Council have the citizens best interests at heart. Rather than buy into the conspiracy theories that its all about revenue for JC, I really think that these councillors want to make Dublin a better place. As for the deal, as I stated previously 450 bikes go a long way in a low density city as each bike is used multiple times day and night. Montpellier is a city I visited recently and it has a JC scheme as well as luas-style trams in a density similar to Dublin´s. It certainly didn´t look like Montpellier had got the same deal as Paris though - there were hardly any racks about!

In Paris the presence of vastly increased numbers has changed public perceptions of cycling. Now people who live in the suburbs can take the metro into central Paris, then take a bike to reach their destination rather than relying on the metro or buses. Thus mobility has improved. Dublin could follow suit with these things Paris has done: On various one way streets they have put in (narrow) contraflow cycle lanes. They´ve painted bike symbols in bus lanes. Best of all has been closing one side of the quays on Sundays. These are all solutions that could be imposed in Dublin if the political capital and will was there.

are jcdecaux paying dcc the money advertising spots are worth and then subtracting the cost of providing the bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ps till need just one thread on this

• Advertisement

An Bord Pleanala decision on ALL of these monstrosities we managed to get to appeal..

Refusal

Quote:
    1. It is considered that the proposed metropole sign by reason of its excessive scale, height and horizontal proportions would be overbearing and insensitive to the amenities and character of the streetscape at this location. The proposed development would seriously injure the visual amenities of the area and would, therefore, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

2. Having regard to the site location on the footpath adjacent to a major
    intersection of heavily trafficked and conflicting traffic movements, a
    contraflowing cycle lane and a busy pedestrian environment and several
    competing demands on the attention of motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, it is considered that the proposed metropole sign by reason of scale, proportions
    and visual prominence would distract the attention of motorists and other road users to an undue degree. The proposed development would, therefore,
    endanger public safety by reason of traffic hazard and be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

The whole affair is a desperate indictment on Dublin's local govt - that, and what the blazes is the Gormleys Dept of Environment doing by being the first to hire them up?

Adding to the mess is the dodgy rezonings that occurred to get the scheme through

Link to secret dodgy rezonings map and a magazine article on the same ishere:

http://ireland.archiseek.com/news/2008/000134.html

It all stinks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I havent read through all the thread but did with the one in AH a while back. I assume there are a similar number of outraged people here. Has everyone getting outraged actually driven down the roads in question? (Dorset st and PArnell I'm talking about, in case this thread includes others) I do most days and really have no issue with any of the signs. Madsl posted a pic the last time I questioned his post which was quite clearly taken nicely to the left ot give a bad reflection of the view blocked by the sign and not from the drivers view at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

One at both ends on the n32 from m50 to clarhall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Stekelly wrote: »
    I havent read through all the thread but did with the one in AH a while back. I assume there are a similar number of outraged people here. Has everyone getting outraged actually driven down the roads in question? (Dorset st and PArnell I'm talking about, in case this thread includes others) I do most days and really have no issue with any of the signs. Madsl posted a pic the last time I questioned his post which was quite clearly taken nicely to the left ot give a bad reflection of the view blocked by the sign and not from the drivers view at all.

In fairness Madsl has taken snaps both from the point-of-view of pedestrians, but also that of drivers - as here on Synott Place/ Dorset St, since removed -
    MadsL wrote: »
    TrafficLight.jpg

Here we go again....
    I clarified that on AH - maybe you didn't read it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56670540&postcount=53

You don't have to drive down Parnell St - a taxi did it for you....

Maybe you should read my posts sometime...:rolleyes:

Maybe you should read my posts sometime...:rolleyes:

I dont have to I drive the roads most days and have had no issue with the signs.

As I said in that thread. As long as no one rushes out onto the road when the traffic is on green (same as any road without the signs) and check before crossing (as common sense dictates) there is no issue. People that get hit by cars do so because they arent paying attention not because of a sign. If a car is parked at the side of the road and you decide to cross behinf it and get knocked down, is it the cars fault for parkign there or yours for not looking at what your doing? (again we are talking common sense here).

There are trees all down the centre of parnell street that I dotn see campaigns to have taken down. What about the big trees lining sections of the north circular? No campaigns to have these dangerous view blocking monsters removed? no? What about the ones on the median on Dorset st that are in view in your above pic?

People that get hit by cars do so because they arent payign attention.
    And motorists whose view is not blocked are often thankfully able to stop in time. The stopping distance at just 50kmph is 24m. The 'thinking' time you would have if someone stepped out from behind one of these would practically be zero. You would hit the ped before you could hit the brake.
    But I guess that's the ped's fault. Stepping out at a crossing and all...:rolleyes: In the UK it is illegal to park within 25m of a ped crossing for this very reason.

We warn people not to cross the road behind buses for the same reason - because it is dangerous. Buses have a useful purpose, these signs don't - in fact are actually designed to distract motorists. Can you name me any benefit of placing these next to a pedestrian crossing?

But ultimately you are entitled to your opinion.

I just happpen to share mine with the Dublin Transportation Office, An Bord Pleanala, the Dublin City Business Association, and The National Council of the Blind all of whom have described these as dangerous.

Draw your own conclusions.

I dont have to[read your posts] I drive the roads most days and have had no issue with the signs.
    If you are going to debate with me at least have the courtesy to read the points I'm raising
    There are trees all down the centre of parnell street that I dotn see campaigns to have taken down. What about the big trees lining sections of the north circular? No campaigns to have these dangerous view blocking monsters removed? no? What about the ones on the median on Dorset st that are in view in your above pic?

These signs are almost 1.5m wide - that's some tree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I passed that sign in Parnell Street today -it's daft, no other description, no further elaboration required. It should be moved before some poor unfortunate eejit tanked up at night walks out in front of a car, never mind the potential for accidents during the day.

However, taking how things are done in this country I presume if it hasn't been shifted by now you'll a job moving it at all.

The people in the flats should object

• Advertisement

These signs are almost 1.5m wide - that's some tree...

Some of the trees along the North circular would by 4 or so feet thick. They also completely block your view up and down the road when pulling out from some junctions. As well as that there are lines of cars parked on one or both sides of the road. Yet despite all this , a bit of carefullnes and attention paying and theres no problems. The ones along dorset street can be as bad with all the leaves and from a diagonal , block your view of behind them.

Some of the trees along the North circular would by 4 or so feet thick. The ones along dorset street can be as bad with all the leaves and from a diagonal , block your view of behind them.

So your argument is that because trees may in places block the view of pedestrians these signs are perfectly acceptable?

Since I have answered all your other arguments, is that your final position on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would have to take issue with Stekelly on the Synnot Place panel.

Madsl`s photos as posted here and elsewhere did not actually do the siting justice.

It was far worse.
    As somebody who is required to drive along Dorset St several times a day over a 20 hour period I can say without fear ot contradiction that the siting of this particular sign did not meet ANY planning or safety related criteria.

I contacted both the local Garda Store St Traffic Unit,The Garda Divisional Traffic unit in Dublin Castle as well as the Garda National Traffic Policy section.
    In addition I also contacted the City Managers Office and left them in no doubt as to the undesirability of the sign at this location.

Part of DCC`s reply centred around the alterations made to Dorset St after it`s IAP works and suggesting that the wrong drawings were being worked off by the JCD contractors.

I find this to be an even worse scenario as it implies that great swathes of DCC`s professional branch are not capable of getting out and inspecting the locales where these items are springing up !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

So your argument is that because trees may in places block the view of pedestrians these signs are perfectly acceptable?

Since I have answered all your other arguments, is that your final position on this?

No my point was that there are far worse things blocking far more or the path from view yet there is no problem as people pay attention. Theres no problem as they are trees. If there was a great big oak tree in the same position as the sign it would not warrant a mention , case in point being the many hiundreds of trees areound the city that have never had outrage directed at them.

the many hiundreds of trees areound the city that have never had outrage directed at them

Trees have a purpose in the city, they are rarely 300mm from the curb edge and emblazoned with eyecatching advertising serving no useful purpose except to make money for the advertising company.
    no problem as people pay attention

Yes, Dubliners never jaywalk :rolleyes:

Seriously stekelly, you have gone from attacking the photograph (no apology) to it being pedestrians own fault (no response to my points) to 'ah, sure deres trees'...

Kinda clutching at straws here?? (or trees) Could we keep it real?

Part of DCC`s reply centred around the alterations made to Dorset St after it`s IAP works and suggesting that the wrong drawings were being worked off by the JCD contractors.

On RTE or did you get a response from DCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Some of the trees along the North circular would by 4 or so feet thick. They also completely block your view up and down the road when pulling out from some junctions. As well as that there are lines of cars parked on one or both sides of the road. Yet despite all this , a bit of carefullnes and attention paying and theres no problems. The ones along dorset street can be as bad with all the leaves and from a diagonal , block your view of behind them.

That argument if made more publically would probably just result in people agreeing with you and getting the North Circular vandalised with tree removal.

It certainly isn't a good argument for keeping advertising monstrosities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seriously stekelly, you have gone from attacking the photograph (no apology) to it being pedestrians own fault (no response to my points) to 'ah, sure deres trees'...

Kinda clutching at straws here?? (or trees) Could we keep it real?

LOL Trees!! I think he is arguing for the sake of arguing. People like this usually are the ones that give out about everything, the Joe Duffy types but never participate in change. Much easier to shout off ones mouth on the phone (or keyboard) yet wont get off their ass to back it up.

It is clear that this is a serious health issue and i must congraluate the people invloved in highlighting this issue. Well Done!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

There really is no comparison between trees and metro poles.

Most trees in the city were placed there long before motoring took off here and some may even be older than that. They are elements of nature and caution may very well be needed when driving past them.

However, the JCD metro poles are an avoidable act in gross ignorance, bordering on criminal stupidity. They don't *have* to block the view of road-users. They can be placed in safer places and stil do their job. (of advertising even more to us, which is another argument)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Rawr wrote: »
    There really is no comparison between trees and metro poles.
    There is a very obvious comparison to be made. Something which blocks the view of a driver, blocks the view of a driver. This is true, irrespective of what is doing the blocking. You(plural)'re free to argue that the danger posed by trees is worth it because they serve another purpose but I think you're all being unfair on the other side of the argument, dismissing the person making it as some kind of crank.

Advertisement