Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC Decaux signs start appearing - Shocking.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

council-objects-to-stencilled-ad-on-wall
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/council-objects-to-stencilled-ad-on-wall-1544661.html

DECEMBER ISSUE - PLAN MAGAZINE, Ireland's leading architectural publication, has conducted a major investigation the results of which are published in our current issue. In conducting our research, we uncovered key findings including:

I like the juxtaposition there, but it could have been clearer :)
    The incredible hypocrisy is astounding! Even if the stencil ads are on private property, is theree a law against partially cleaning someone else's wall? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I hear a rumour that a similar deal has been done with DLR CC. Check for planning applications!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

and we won't find out the details of that because they'll be negotiating with other councils and on and on...

plan ireland are making themselves useful whos behind that?

somebody go get a full copy, and must send more emails to the council when here next meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

It's bang out of order that they are being allowed to get away with this. The signs are a danger everyone.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's been the same on CIE/IE for years where stations have been regarded as vacant space for every type of crap advertising sign going. I would like to see where the revenue goes - bet precious little of it to improving facilities for rail travellers. Bray station is cluttered with this c..p and there is no waiting room whatsoever for passengers - even inter-city ones - and the whole station is a no-go area. Disgusting toilets, no security and village idiots running riot while the staff at the ticket barriers appear to serve no useful purpose. Sorry for wandering off the point but I am tired of writing to the CEO of IE about same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you haven't already seen some these safety failures and DCC's city manager's failure to order a immediate safety review, either view my channelon youtube or see below...

City Manager's refusal to conduct a independant safety review

so is this report available

(Hopefully) there will be a an emergency motion at tonight's (1st Dec) Dublin City Council meeting requesting the City Manager to bring a report about the €185m that JCD will make from these scheme - see todays Examiner (page 3)

€185m for them, 450 bikes for us....:mad:

Emergency motions are usually taken at 9pm - watch live here

http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/site/#webcast

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any update on that meeting (not holding my breath on anything positive!)

• Advertisement

Motion passed :D

Watch this space!

the newspapers talked about report already done, is that report being made public.

plan ireland seem to have most of it already.

http://www.dublincity.public-i.tv/site/#webcast

Watch from about 9 minutes (the emergency motion got 'lost')

Then keep watching to see Dermot Lacey bring this up again.

The Finance SPC is today...(but I doubt the report will be)

the manager knows nothing

he hasn't read the report , thats an extraordinary admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

Damn - they're actually doing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ratRVRSoPBA

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seemingly!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0501/1224245759208.html?via=mr
    Labour councillor Andrew Montague, who has campaigned for the scheme for several years, said the rental rates had been set at a level which would attract a high number of users.

“It will cost €10 a year to join and the first half an hour rental will be free; there will be an increasing scale of rents after that to encourage a frequent turnover of the bikes at the stations.”

The bicycles will also be available to tourists at a reduced joining fee. The scheme, which has been run by JC Decaux in several cities including Paris, Vienna and Lyon, has proved extremely popular, Mr Montague said.
    FFS charging a "joining fee" to tourists!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

indo wrote:
    JC Decaux in several cities including Paris, Vienna and Lyon

A joining fee for tourists is pretty low alright.

Do they have to pay it in the quoted cities?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In Paris they do anyway. The subscription fee is also low in cost -- it's minimum. And with a lot of people only taking less then a half hour from station to station that may be the only cost they pay.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You have to pay it in Luxembourg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i used these in paris and felt it was a great system, i hadn't signed up but my mate who was living there at the time had and it was brilliant for cycling up along the seine from the metro stop to a museum.

once you know where the location of a 'station' is you're grand. i think it could prove very useful for people cycling to and from heuston or connolly to stephen's green and not wanting to get stuck in traffic. or even for scooting around town to meetings during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

Here in Oslo you pay about 10 euro a year for the service.
    But that's it. You can freely use the bike for 2 hours each time, with no additional charge.
    Although this is run by Clear Channel, and not JCD.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Might discourage tourists used to European levels of driver courtesy/knowledge of cyclists from trying (and dying) to cycle through Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

here's a clearer vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyP40QqMXo

I'll admit that I'd be tempted, as long as there was a docking point free at the station I'd arrive at (coz if there isn't - it's your tough).

The real pity is that this couldn't have been accomplished as part of the city's "real" public transport system. So instead of having something that works well and makes everyone happy, we have something that might work, but which we ultimately know serves JCDeceaux's interests far above the interests of Dublin City Council and the inhabitants of Dublin. I guess the argument by DCC would be that they are too stupid/slow to get something like this going on their own (or even broker a decent deal), and that's fair enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Anyone have a map with all the bike stations?

Had seen the metal frame for these at Bolton street a few weeks ago , and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

magwea wrote: »
    Anyone have a map with all the bike stations?

Had seen the metal frame for these at Bolton street a few weeks ago , and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were.

http://www.aaireland.ie/download/bikescheme.pdf

Thanks bg07, had just stumbled onto this page myself and was about to reply to my own question.

Looking at the map there are 24 bike stations on the south side vs 16 on the north side. Aren't the greatest amount of JCDecaux signs on the northside? What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

magwea wrote: »
    Thanks bg07, had just stumbled onto this page myself and was about to reply to my own question.

Looking at the map there are 24 bike stations on the south side vs 16 on the north side. Aren't the greatest amount of JCDecaux signs on the northside? What gives?

Why should the placement of the advertisements and the bikes be somehow related?

Well yes, the advertising is paying for the bikes. Why should certain areas have to pay the cost of the scheme form which they gain no benefit. Seems a bit unfair. Or am i being naive.

Advertisement