Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

In a similar vein, anyone see the amazing Famicom mod a lad did on a 9 inch PVM?

https://kotaku.com/gaming-hardware-artist-turns-nintendo-famicom-into-a-re-1837474070

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    In a similar vein, anyone see the amazing Famicom mod a lad did on a 9 inch PVM?

https://kotaku.com/gaming-hardware-artist-turns-nintendo-famicom-into-a-re-1837474070

Yeah was posted last week in one of your old haunts on facebook!

Beautiful looking machine.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Yeah was posted last week in one of your old haunts on facebook!

Beautiful looking machine.

Are people still using that?? Hisssssssssss :D

Master of the Universe

So the dude who bought a mountain of PVMs for a song is on adverts now trying to gouge people, and folks are actually willing to pay. :( (thanks for the link, JB!)

I mean what did he pay for the lot, 500 or something? Could have sold them at 50 a pop, still made a fortune and done everyone a favour. But no, had to get greedy.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-pvm-9041qm-retro-gaming-crt-monitor/18713901

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

So the dude who bought a mountain of PVMs for a song is on adverts now trying to gouge people, and folks are actually willing to pay. :( (thanks for the link, JB!)

I mean what did he pay for the lot, 500 or something? Could have sold them at 50 a pop, still made a fortune and done everyone a favour. But no, had to get greedy.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/sony-pvm-9041qm-retro-gaming-crt-monitor/18713901

Greedy fecker. I didn’t realize it was that guy. I actually had made an offer until I seen this. I wouldn’t buy of someone doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Mega SD €230 ???

I don't know if they will be selling too many of them at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

If someone wants one, they'll buy it. They seem to have been very successful with it, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ebbsy wrote: »
    Mega SD €230 ???

I don't know if they will be selling too many of them at that price.

It's not much more than a Mega Everdrive and can play Mega CD games without the original hardware. The price is fine.

Master of the Universe

I don't think thats a bad price at all given the price of some other flash carts.

Might actually put a few quid aside and pick one up,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Didn't someone say they're around €300 with VAT and customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's not much more than a Mega Everdrive and can play Mega CD games without the original hardware. The price is fine.

Speaking of original hardware, does anyone else feel the Mega SG (while being a fantastic product) is veering away from the feel of original hardware. I know it's FPGA based, and is as accurate as needs be etc...but to be playing Mega CD games without seeing the Mega CD, without using discs etc...I dunno, I know you're still using the Megadrive side of things, but for me I don't think the setup would feel 'complete' if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Didn't someone say they're around €300 with VAT and customs?

Sounds about right, while they ship from Europe they are coming from Andorra so are liable for those charges.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Speaking of original hardware, does anyone else feel the Mega SG (while being a fantastic product) is veering away from the feel of original hardware. I know it's FPGA based, and is as accurate as needs be etc...but to be playing Mega CD games without seeing the Mega CD, without using discs etc...I dunno, I know you're still using the Megadrive side of things, but for me I don't think the setup would feel 'complete' if you get me?

Yeah I know what you mean alright...could always attach a Mega CD anyway and pretend it's reading discs from that? :D

Yeah I know what you mean alright...could always attach a Mega CD anyway and pretend it's reading discs from that? :D

:D

I think though ultimately, it's less so original hardware, and 'as close as you'll get' kinda thing. It definitely has a place though, the likelihood of stuff like the Mega CD being in working condition lessens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »

Says the Emulation guy who is not only missing the CD addon but the entire hardware! :P

Doge wrote: »
    Says the Emulation guy who is not only missing the CD addon but the entire hardware! :P

Indeed, that's where I'm coming from....you're either using original hardware or your not. With a Mega SD, I don't think it gives that 'original hardware' feel to it, no matter how its built/programmed/designed....it's not a Mega CD and it doesn't take discs. It's a fantastic product, and if I were still collecting I'd use it over a Mega CD in a heartbeat, but it's not quite the authentic original experience.

You lads know your stuff, but this one may be a stretch...I think there's a book that's the complete history of gaming, it's been revised over the years and may be on version 4 or 5.

I think Metal Jesus had it in a pickups video from a convention last year so I'll try find it...

On that note, a friend of mine told me about The Game Console: A History In Photographs. Might add that to the book collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This came up in my Instagram feed :

Gaming cafe in Dundrum Town Centre

http://giga-bite.com/

Arcade machines seem to be from https://miniarcadesystems.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Same guys from the 8 bit conference behind that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Master of the Universe

I was expecting something a bit more Token-eque with consoles and sofas, looks more like an internet cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was expecting something a bit more Token-eque with consoles and sofas
    I saw the "10 consoles" line and thought it would be old ones, but click on details and you see the 10 is "With 5 Xbox’s and 5 PS4"

Looks like a sterile office to me, while token did have a feel of arcades I remember as a kid.

Speaking of Token, it looks like their Cheapskate deal isn't available after 6:30 Wed-Sat, has gone up a Euro and is now limited options. (Haven't been in a while so not sure when it changed)

The deal is good value for money. Not many places in Dublin that don't break the bank these days. Less money for late night eBay shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Honestly I'm a big fan of token. Someplace that is unique, has legit machines and pinballs and some good grub.

More people opening and doing things like that and less Starbucks and crap like that the better.

Also finally got a chance to play a 1up cab today. Street fighter one in my local Smyths to play. They are a cool novelty but for €400 no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

DaveyDave wrote: »
    You lads know your stuff, but this one may be a stretch...I think there's a book that's the complete history of gaming, it's been revised over the years and may be on version 4 or 5.

I think Metal Jesus had it in a pickups video from a convention last year so I'll try find it...

On that note, a friend of mine told me about The Game Console: A History In Photographs. Might add that to the book collection.

Sounds like 'Phoenix IV: The History of the Videogame Industry'

Came out in the mid-90s, so probably up to its "IV"th edition.

Decent book.

Master of the Universe

Sega really were mental, weren't they?

That with today's tech would be mad craic,
    maybe if the cars were in 3rd person .
    Looks like they got the speed of the cars just right too.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was thinking that about the speed alright, looks like a hell of a lot of fun to actually play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

That looks great!

Advertisement