Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

paraguay99 wrote: »
    interesting. can you give a more detailed review??

I'll do my best to give a good report tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

I went down to Cork last week to visit relatives and popped into UCC for a spontaneous nosey around. Having been to the UL open day a year or two before, I was a self-confessed UL wannabe and put it as my first choice. But now my head is wrecked because UCC turned out to be way nicer than I had thought. The medicine building is really new and modern with impressive facilities (of what I saw from walking around anyways). The building itself houses nursing and physio students aswell, has its own library and computer labs and is based in Brookfield (less than a 5 minute walk from the main UCC campus). There seems to be accomodation right behind the building which would be really handy. The hospital is within walking distance aswell. The main campus is small but beautifully formed with gorgeous medieval buildings. Everyone was friendly on campus and I got a really positive impression of the place.
    The sports facilities are across the road from the main campus and access to the gym & swimming pool is free to all students enrolled in a full-time course (which is quite rare for a college, I know UCD certainly wasnt free!) While UL sports facilities stand head and shoulders above all the other Irish colleges, I think UCC has a lot to offer. However the new UL medicine building is apparently opening in September so that makes the decision even tougher.
    Now Im really confused as to the order of my CAO preferences!

Did anyone who went to the UL open day see the new building? Im curious as to what its like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

the new building in UL is just a shell. It won't be finished by september, I have my doubts as to whether it will be done by september 2012. I'm bit of a cynic, and bit pessimistic but it is well behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

The sports facilities are across the road from the main campus and access to the gym & swimming pool is free to all students enrolled in a full-time course (which is quite rare for a college, I know UCD certainly wasnt free!) While UL sports facilities stand head and shoulders above all the other Irish colleges, I think UCC has a lot to offer. .

You're going doing GEM, when do you plan on doing sport? :D

Was hoping to squeeze a bit of sport into the 5 free minutes we'll get once a week........ :p
    You're going doing GEM, when do you plan on doing sport? :D

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything from UL about their GEM scholarship application process? They were in contact with people at the start of March last year.......

Also, have people received their notice from CAO in the last few days confirming their eligibility for application to GEM?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Also, have people received their notice from CAO in the last few days confirming their eligibility for application to GEM?????

yup. received it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭line_of_fire

yup. got the CAO confirmation earlier in the week. Now just need GAMSAT results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Got the old ineligible form from them yeah. I really should get on that but I have til the middle of July. No rush....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

I got a letter to say I was ineligible too!:eek: So scary! I rang them up and apparently its because I'm in final year and they just don't have my transcript...obviously!! I don't understand why they would send out these letters when a person obviously cannot fulfil that part of the criteria just yet, its not like I got a non-2.1!! Almost had a heart attack when I saw it! Did that happen before to people last year does anyone know? The quicker sept comes and no more cao the better!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Yeah I got the letter last year aswell and didn't get offered a place as a result. Also my GAMSAT score was too low, but the main reason was that I hadn't sent in my transcript.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

The UCD website is saying there will be 77 places on the grad med course this year. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

thats good news but are these all for EU students or does it include US/Canadian students.

sparrow3 wrote: »
    thats good news but are these all for EU students or does it include US/Canadian students.

From UCD site:

"UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science commenced a Graduate Entry medicine programme in September 2008 with funding from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) for Irish/EU students. It is anticipated that there will be 77 places available in 2011."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 micky B

Good work del 85 Just saw that page now, but the main page for ucd gem still says 55. Do you know how recently this was updated? Im just nervous that it might be a plan, like the one that said nuig would have places by 2010, which didn't happen. Hopefully this comes through anyway. Anyone have any more soid figures from cao on demand this year compared to last year?

micky B wrote: »
    Good work del 85 Just saw that page now, but the main page for ucd gem still says 55. Do you know how recently this was updated? Im just nervous that it might be a plan, like the one that said nuig would have places by 2010, which didn't happen. Hopefully this comes through anyway. Anyone have any more soid figures from cao on demand this year compared to last year?

I check that page pretty much daily so it's a recent update. Sparrow3 has a point though that 77 may not be the number of EU places...I might have been a bit hasty there! I gave the school of med in UCD a call about two weeks ago and the lady that answered was only willing to say that the number of places wasn't going down.

No worries, I reckon they are most likely Eu places. There were roughly 87 places in the class this year when the north americans were accounted for, so if 77 included them the places would have dropped. Unfortunately this increase may not effect the cutoff scores though if demand has stayed relatively similar or increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Yillan wrote: »
    Yeah I got the letter last year aswell and didn't get offered a place as a result. Also my GAMSAT score was too low, but the main reason was that I hadn't sent in my transcript.

the most ridiculous thing ive ever read in my life.

if i recall correctly you got 55 in gamsat?
    thats why you didnt get in, it wasnt ''mainly due to not having sent in your transcript''.

dont try and dress up the transcript letter as being more important than it is. you didnt get in because you didnt score high enough, dont try and kid yourself or anyone else otherwise.

you wouldnt have got in with your shítty score no matter how many transcripts you had sent in.

the most ridiculous thing ive ever read in my life.

if i recall correctly you got 55 in gamsat?
    thats why you didnt get in, it wasnt ''mainly due to not having sent in your transcript''.

dont try and dress up the transcript letter as being more important than it is. you didnt get in because you didnt score high enough, dont try and kid yourself or anyone else otherwise.

you wouldnt have got in with your shítty score no matter how many transcripts you had sent in.

:confused:

What's with the nasty tone?

It's fairly obvious that Yillan was being facetious with the comment you quoted. If that kind of subtletly goes over your head then I would suggest you stay away from the GAMSAT; you wouldn't score too well either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

del85 wrote: »
    :confused:

What's with the nasty tone?

It's fairly obvious that Yillan was being facetious with the comment you quoted. If that kind of subtletly goes over your head then I would suggest you stay away from the GAMSAT; you wouldn't score too well either.

62 not a a good score these days? ;)
    1st year UCC mate, best of luck with your own GAMSAT, if your lucky you might get a score high enough to get into Limerick.

• Advertisement

1st year UCC mate, best of luck with your own GAMSAT, if your lucky you might get a score high enough to get into Limerick.

Needlessly abusive, prone to misunderstanding people, and smug to boot- exactly the kind of chap that should be around sick patients. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I think you're the one who's lucky to be doing med given your standard of English and over-the-top temperament. No need to be snotty and elitist, regardless of what you thought Yillan meant.

So you got 62 demolitionman- bravo, all credit to you. GAMSAT is a horrid exam and probably one of the most testing exams one could possibly do. You obviously have the brains for medicine!

Sadly, from the looks of it , thats where your skills end. I hope to God that i dont have any pricks like you in my class next year whether it be ucd, ucc or limerick.

From your posts its easy to see you are smug little prick with limited ability to be informative or supportive . Good luck on being at most a poor doctor , disliked by most his colleagues

Also, with a score of 60, i have no doubt that Del85 will be doing GEM come September

Chill out. There is no need to worry about someone like this. They are obviously just on to satisfy their own insecurities, whatever they may be. Personally I don't even care, as they are irrellevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Hi all,

Is this the place to ask?

Just turned on to the road for GAMSAT 2011 in the UK and 2012 in Ireland.

I have a degree in Commerce and French and not much science bar leaving cert physics which I did well in.

Anyway just wondering if anyone on here is looking to sell the books/materials they used to prepare for the test just gone? Or are you all waiting for the results before you part with them?

My cousin is an Occupational Therapist in Vincent's and came over last night to basically tell me I'm mad to consider doing Medicine but it's something that always appealed to me and think would suit me. She is doing a thesis at the moment on the power consultants have and the bullying culture among them within the Irish health system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I hope to God that i dont have any pricks like you in my class next year whether it be ucd, ucc or limerick.

From your posts its easy to see you are smug little prick with limited ability to be informative or supportive . Good luck on being at most a poor doctor , disliked by most his colleagues

quit the personal abuse please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Sadly, from the looks of it , thats where your skills end.

haha! trust me, every class has a demolitionman ;) you just learn to laugh at them and hope they end up in a different hospital, far far away

Just got an email back from School of Medicine in UCD- the 77 anticipated places are for Irish/EU students alone. Deadly :D

great news !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

del85 wrote: »
    Just got an email back from School of Medicine in UCD- the 77 anticipated places are for Irish/EU students alone. Deadly :D

Wow that is fantastic news! Thanks del85! So that means UCD has the largest grad course now I take it, UL has 70 isn't it?! Fingers crossed there'll be a drop in points so especially with fewer applicants this year! Anyway just to have more places overall is good, it might have knock on effects for the other colleges! Yay!!

Advertisement