Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/renault-trafic-van/19451834

Something different.
    Going vintage this year 2.2 petrol.

Pity it’s left hand drive. Had two Mk1s a few years ago 1985 and 88 I think, crude old yokes but likable all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

unkel wrote: »
    Don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about it :p

I shouldn't really. I barely even need 2 cars and I have the Porsche. Which I taxed for the year.
    It's like what the lads in the cycling forum say... the optimum number of bikes to own is n+1, where "n" is the amount of bikes you already have.

One needs n+1 classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-ds-1972/20840972

ZThkMGE4NDk0NzI3ODVmYjZiNWFhYjlkMjQxYWU5NTNr2AK-SzwjRkkrJFtP8LN-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTY3MjcwOTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

If you're going to have a DS it has to be black :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Barr wrote: »

Spotted that yesterday, looks class. Didn't post it here as there was no price on the ad. Why do people do that? Out of principle, I wouldn't contact the seller if there's no price.

• Advertisement

I'd say that'll be very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

unkel wrote:
    Spotted that yesterday, looks class. Didn't post it here as there was no price on the ad. Why do people do that? Out of principle, I wouldn't contact the seller if there's no price.

I'd say afraid of getting ridiculed on sites like this for the silly figure they have in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

it usually means they are looking for crazy money...if I don't see a price I dont contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I think the theory behind it is if you're genuinely looking for a DS then you will contact him, but how many are looking for a DS at any one time.
    Yet there could be a lot of people out there with the right money burning a hole in they're pocket who don't know what they want and need to be sold something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Without exception, every single time I've contacted a seller with a car for sale that doesn't have a price, they are looking for well over the market value for it.
    In the majority of cases, they are looking for delusional money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Gravelly wrote: »
    Without exception, every single time I've contacted a seller with a car for sale that doesn't have a price, they are looking for well over the market value for it.
    In the majority of cases, they are looking for delusional money.

Or trying to weed out the delusional buyers who have one hand on their Credit Union book and one hand on the Keyboard ready to assault Boards.ie :D:D:D

If your looking for a specific model, then as soon as one pops up you chase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+1 on the no price = no call rule.

miller_63 wrote: »
    Or trying to weed out the delusional buyers who have one hand on their Credit Union book and one hand on the Keyboard ready to assault Boards.ie :D:D:D

Like I said, in my experience, it's only delusional sellers that do this, maybe your experience is different. I've probably bought and sold more cars than 99% of the population though.

Regardless of price?! Wish I had your money!

hi5 wrote: »
    I think the theory behind it is if you're genuinely looking for a DS then you will contact him, but how many are looking for a DS at any one time.
    Yet there could be a lot of people out there with the right money burning a hole in they're pocket who don't know what they want and need to be sold something.

There is a price on the DS (far too high too imho). We are talking about the priceless Saab here :)

"If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

It's an old Saab, not a brand new Rolls-Royce :p

Lovely car. They claim it is NCTd, maybe it was done today or yesterday, and it is not on the NCT website (yet). Not taxed either. For that money as a seller I would have made sure the car is taxed and tested for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Lovely car. They claim it is NCTd, maybe it was done today or yesterday, and it is not on the NCT website (yet). Not taxed either. For that money as a seller I would have made sure the car is taxed and tested for all to see.

Just thinking they might be swapping the mot for an nct.... possibly...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement

supervento wrote: »

Yes that's possible. If it were me, I would have waited until car actually had the NCT cert before putting it up for sale. I guess a call to the dealer might answer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Exactly this and the vendor probably knows it , that vintage Saab Turbo is seriously scarce. I wouldn't be surprised if a bidding war broke out driving the price sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

mmm V8.... clearly not original i.e the chrome work and grill but that could easily be changed back...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1987-mercedes-500-sel-lwb-v8-120k-stunning-car/20637984

supervento wrote: »
    That would make me hesitate, if true. Getting an NCT is a different struggle to getting an MOT.

Beautiful car, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Dades wrote: »
    That would make me hesitate, if true. Getting an NCT is a different struggle to getting an MOT.

Beautiful car, though.

New rules means swapping MOT for an NCT.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

elperello wrote: »

Getting very rare.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Gravelly wrote: »
    Regardless of price?! Wish I had your money!

I never said regardless of price, if you have been in the market for a specific model an advert without a price is meaningless. The model is there, its up for sale and there is a discussion to be had.

None of this cowboy stuff of the cheapest classic they can find just to run the chape tax.....which in reality is 95% of all classic car discussions in last couple of years. Then the moaning starts about delusional sellers when their dream gets abruptly cut short.

Have you an overpriced classic car for sale yourself, miller_63? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I never said regardless of price, if you have been in the market for a specific model an advert without a price is meaningless. The model is there, its up for sale and there is a discussion to be had.

None of this cowboy stuff of the cheapest classic they can find just to run the chape tax.....which in reality is 95% of all classic car discussions in last couple of years. Then the moaning starts about delusional sellers when their dream gets abruptly cut short.

And here's me thinking ZV plates, insurance what nots, and ringers/elephants were 95% of the classic car discussions in the last couple of years.

I'd say typically (emphasis on that last word) if a lad cant name his starting price publicly he's the seller version of a tyre kicker

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you're one of those lads with a classic on donedeal with no price on it, and you're looking to sell "to a genuine enthusiast only" for the money you paid someone to restore it! :rolleyes:

Advertisement