Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mgb-gt-auto/20931664

I was tempted to look at getting this, I always wanted an MG, I haven’t a clue about cars - fixing and repairing etc but I want to get a classic car at some stage and came across this.

Anyone any advice or experience of the MGs, easy to maintain... or a lot of trouble etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Do you have a garage? A car like that can and most definitely will deteriorate if left out in the elements, very easily your shiny €6k MG will be a €500 piece of scrap after one cold, wet season outside. Thankfully we're coming out of Winter now and Summer is around the corner, but that doesn't get you out of the water entirely IMO.

I've had one, and it was very fragile. IMO if you know nothing about cars it could become a very costly ownership experience. I had an MG Midget too which was a much better experience; it was very reliable and seemingly pretty rust resilient.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have a garage, but I wouldn’t have a clue about fixing or maintaining it, I’d have to bring it to a garage to keep it ticking over.

The MG Midget is a nice car aswel, and if that’s easier to maintain it would be one for me to consider. ESP if it didn’t rust as much and was reliable.

Maybe I’m being unrealistic, just always wanted one. I looked at old minis as well but they seen very expensive.
    Do you have a garage? A car like that can and most definitely will deteriorate if left out in the elements, very easily your shiny €6k MG will be a €500 piece of scrap after one cold, wet season outside. Thankfully we're coming out of Winter now and Summer is around the corner, but that doesn't get you out of the water entirely IMO.

I've had one, and it was very fragile. IMO if you know nothing about cars it could become a very costly ownership experience. I had an MG Midget too which was a much better experience; it was very reliable and seemingly pretty rust resilient.

Does it need to be automatic?

I had an automatic British car from the 60s and I would never repeat that ownership experience again. For about 6 months I had to stick my leg out the driver's door and push the car backwards with my foot whenever I wanted to reverse...

The 1500cc engine in the Midget is a nice little thing, and definitely not at all as fragile as the 1800 in the GT. Be under no illusion though, both will be susceptible to rust. The Midget is also quite a bit smaller inside and out than the GT.

This looks lovely for the money

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-mg-midget/20738408

NWFlYmY0ZDhhOWY5OTg1YWIwZTAxNDM1ZGM2OGFjMDnQkZXVBTWdOgFeb01R-I58aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU5MDgwNjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

That’s a nice one and really good value for the money.

No doesn’t have to be automatic, would prefer manual to be honest.

I might message about that car you sent me the link to there, great price!

It’s just a car for the odd weekend drive and the summer (if and when we do get one) and winter it will be in the garage covered.
    Does it need to be automatic?

I had an automatic British car from the 60s and I would never repeat that ownership experience again. For about 6 months I had to stick my leg out the driver's door and push the car backwards with my foot whenever I wanted to reverse...

The 1500cc engine in the Midget is a nice little thing, and definitely not at all as fragile as the 1800 in the GT. Be under no illusion though, both will be susceptible to rust. The Midget is also quite a bit smaller inside and out than the GT.

This looks lovely for the money

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-mg-midget/20738408

NWFlYmY0ZDhhOWY5OTg1YWIwZTAxNDM1ZGM2OGFjMDnQkZXVBTWdOgFeb01R-I58aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU5MDgwNjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think if you embrace the classic experience basic maintenance isn't anything to be scared of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think if you embrace the classic experience basic maintenance isn't anything to be scared of.

You are right (in a way) Once a car is well sorted all it basically needs is normal servicing, like any 'new' car.
    The problem lies in not using it....
    Be very careful in buying an 'old car'. Unless you are used to driving cars with poor heating/ventilation, non assisted steering or braking, and in some cases poor visibility, driving one in modern traffic can become a chore, and the novelty soon dies.
    Buy the car that suits your needs, and that you actually WANT to drive, and not just because it is old, and has 'cheap' tax.
    For example, anyone over 6' might find driving an MG Midget a bit tedious after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

bri007 wrote: »

I was tempted to look at getting this, I always wanted an MG, I haven’t a clue about cars - fixing and repairing etc but I want to get a classic car at some stage and came across this.

Anyone any advice or experience of the MGs, easy to maintain... or a lot of trouble etc?

I know a fair bit about MG's - I've owned quite a few, have rebuilt a couple, and currently own an MGB.

MGB's are as rugged as 60's/70's sportscars get - and are exceptionally easy to work on. The engine can be stripped and rebuilt by anyone with a fairly basic knowledge, the suspension and brakes are nice and primitive, and the bodywork, while prone to rust (like anything from the era) is a lot easier to sort than most classics. You can get literally any part for them off the shelf, and there is great club backup. Maintenance is simple, though again, like anything of that era, it's vital to keep on top of it.
    They are great fun to drive, and 40mph feels like 80! I couldn't recommend an MGB highly enough as a classic, especially a starter classic.
    I wouldn't go for that one though, purely on the basis that it's automatic.

The 1500cc engine in the Midget is a nice little thing, and definitely not at all as fragile as the 1800 in the GT.

:eek:

The B-series fragile?! Never heard that before, and in my experience of putting a fair bit of mileage on a large number of them (most of it at high revs!) I've found them to be anything but. I've been an MG owner, driver, and club member for over a quarter of a century, and I've never heard the B-series described as fragile before!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bri007 wrote: »

Surely the mileage on that is not 24k. I'd assume it's been around the clock at least once.

bri007, no harm looking into a basic/home mechanic course. I did an evening course before I bought my first classic and it made the whole thing a real project. You kinda need to like the whole maintenance thing a little to enjoy a classic, as otherwise you'll find yourself stranded or paying out for things that are easy fixes.

For the money an MG will cost tho sure it's worth a punt - you can learn on the fly! Suggest you beg borrow or steal one for the weekend first, though.

• Advertisement

Once you've mastered the art if carburettor tuning the rest is a peice of cake.

Once you've mastered the art if carburettor tuning the rest is a peice of cake.

Carb tuning is one of the best parts of owning a classic. It’s vital to spend every Saturday morning tinkering with them!

Gravelly wrote: »
    Carb tuning is one of the best parts of owning a classic. It’s vital to spend every Saturday morning tinkering with them!

And ending up with them running worse than they were before you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,766 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That’s half the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sure what would you do next Saturday?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-advent-100/20949513

OTg0MjZkYTA4YmVjZjg5YjE1ZDVlNjljZWUzZWJjMjljwUT3OJABedDfvqIraw_yaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc2MDQxMzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a nice yoke for the money, plenty of tax and test, €2400

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Sure what would you do next Saturday?
    Exactly. That's the whole point.

I got so bored with it recently so I ended up buying another used carburettor to continue this lovely routine. It changed the character of the car I must say and I like it a lot more now :). Runs smoother, sounds and... smells better :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Always liked these. Years ago had agreed a price but pulled out. They unfortunately are not that reliable.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/audi-advent-100/20949513

OTg0MjZkYTA4YmVjZjg5YjE1ZDVlNjljZWUzZWJjMjljwUT3OJABedDfvqIraw_yaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc2MDQxMzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a nice yoke for the money, plenty of tax and test, €2400

Saw that too. Nice classic.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Saw that too. Nice classic.
    look like good value, when would it be nct exempt?

oceanman wrote: »
    look like good value, when would it be nct exempt?
    Never. Unless the rules are due to change in the future, but for now it needs to be tested regularly.

40 year rolling exemption now

40 year rolling exemption now
    Really? I thought I was up to date with stuff like that. Sorry for the misinformation, didn't know about this, must be a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Wheelcaps on that Audi are worth €150 + if they are as good as they look.

Needs something like this https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/audi-100-quattro-sport-c3-c4-oder-v8-alufelgen-7-5x15/803271919-223-1542

Lovely cars, the facelift one has a much nicer interior, some bargain though. Pity the insurance is so difficult if you wanted it as a main driver.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Really? I thought I was up to date with stuff like that. Sorry for the misinformation, didn't know about this, must be a new thing.

Yeah, 2 year tests between 30-40 y/o and exempt afterwards. Only since last year

Aren't audi of that era unreliable ? Electronics come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm not sure where the thread for non Irish classics is, so I'll stick this here. This is Freddy Heinekens old 635 CSi. A total bargain at €16,950. Crazy amount of pics as well.

Great collection of Italian cars, all very well presented.

http://witmerodijk.nl/for-sale/bmw-635-csi-a-1980/1201

IMG_1623_854509.JPG?width=800&height=533

IMG_1739_029619.JPG?width=800&height=533

Also love this Quattroporte

http://witmerodijk.nl/for-sale/maserati-quattroporte-4.9-auto-1982/571

IMG_7864_972619.JPG?width=800&height=533

IMG_8215_171368.JPG?width=800&height=533

And this of course

http://witmerodijk.nl/for-sale/citroen-sm-injection-1973/937

IMG_0249_724027.JPG?width=800&height=533

IMG_0344_100939.JPG?width=800&height=533

• Advertisement