Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

ELM327 wrote: »
    What if you replaced the chassis in the rotten one with the new chassis? And then added the body from the modern RR onto the new chassis with the old chassis plate.

I mean I know there are illegal ways of doing it (as above poster) but I'm wondering if it's legal to do as I asked.

You would need an engineers report when doing this there is company's that will do this for you in Ireland and UK, they will even source everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In correct you can replace or repair any chassis.
    Similar to this company http://www.spheattransfer.com/index.php/chassis-repairs-cleaning/
    The question I replied to was from hi5 looking for a solid vintage chassis.

You can certainly repair any chassis but what you cannot do is that the chassis plate from a vintage chassis and apply it to a new chassis and then register that as a classic vehicle. The chassis plate belongs to the chassis it was originally attached to.

ELM327 wrote: »
    What if you replaced the chassis in the rotten one with the new chassis? And then added the body from the modern RR onto the new chassis with the old chassis plate.

I mean I know there are illegal ways of doing it (as above poster) but I'm wondering if it's legal to do as I asked.

taking the chassis plate from an old chassis and putting it on a new chassis is not kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

taking the chassis plate from an old chassis and putting it on a new chassis is not kosher.

Step 1 - Purchase old ‘70’s Rangerover
    Step 2 - Purchase new galvanized chassis to
    replace rotten one.
    Step 3 - Fit new galvanized chassis to old Range
    Rover
    Step 4 - Purchase more modern Discovery.
    Step 5 - Remove old Range Rover body
    Step 6 - Remove Discovery body
    Step 7 - Fit Discovery body to galvanized Range
    River chassis.
    If you don’t have time for all of this Steps 3 & 5 can be skipped.
    I have heard that you can fit a new chassis in UK
    it retains identity of original, but not the case
    here, where a new chassis is seen as a new vehicle

911s wrote: »
    replace rotten one.
    Rover
    River chassis.

Step 2 and 3 makes it a new vehicle. It is the chassis that is registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Step 2 and 3 makes it a new vehicle. It is the chassis that is registered.

This is it, the chassis is not a spare part but the actual vehicle itself.
    If the chassis is rotten and has to be scraped then the tax book should be surrendered.
    It goes back to when you could buy a rolling chassis from the manufacture and have a coach built body custom made for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

replace rotten one.
    Rover
    River chassis.

That is some amount of work, time and expense to go to, and all for €56 a year road tax. You could buy a decent Disco 2, tax it normally and get 2/3 years running for the price of that one listed on Donedeal.
    My daily driver is a 1999 Disco 2, which was crew cabbed some years ago. while they are reliable to an extent, having one 'free from DOE or NCT' is simply asking for trouble.
    Also a Discovery 2 chassis is only compatible with a Discovery 2 (1998/04) A Discovery 1 chassis and Range Rover (1970's) are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well that 911 went for less than 9k. Somebody got a lovely bargain! I threw a bid on the BMW but didnt win it

what 911 was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That 996 was a steal! Lord only knows how much VRT they would be looking for. And of course max motor tax for another 9 years, that alone is over EUR16k

How much you bid for the 2002?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

996 didnt sell and is relisted. Stinks of getting mates to up the bids.....

Any reason to think that, miller_63?

GBP8k is a very low end value and takes into account the car has no MOT, is SORN and is currently located here. Not a very attractive proposition for a UK buyer and obviously an Irish buyer would have to go through the lottery of what is the VRT - who knows how much they are looking for. And then pay €1808 motor tax per year for the guts of a decade.

Still very cheap at GBP8k. Car will easily be worth €15k-€20k once 30 years old provided it is still in good condition...

The last email I sent asking for a VRT quote was 11 years ago this month. Still haven't got a reply :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

unkel wrote: »
    The last email I sent asking for a VRT quote was 11 years ago this month. Still haven't got a reply :p

I'm sure they'll get to you any day now.

Reminds me of a joke from my youth:

It's 1984, and an East German guys trusty Lada finally gives up the ghost, so he rings the local transport department to order a new one. After being bounced from department to department, and a lot of waiting, he finally gets on to the correct person. "Your new car will be available to pick up from your local depot on February 19th, 2012 comrade" the beaurocrat tells him.
    "Will that be morning or evening" the guy asks
    "what the hell difference does it make" the beaurocrat asks, "it's 28 years away"
    "Well" the guys says "the plumber is calling that morning"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

replace rotten one.
    Rover
    River chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

i know its not vintage until November and it has quiet the price tag... but this looks smashing....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1072716

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

supervento wrote: »
    i know its not vintage until November and it has quiet the price tag... but this looks smashing....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1072716

I cannot believe the e34 are 30 yo - I mean they are a thoroughly modern car

It also makes me feel very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

^^ Beautiful car.

With regard to the "valuable plate", how much could that plate be worth if sold to one of the companies that buy and sell reg numbers in the UK ?
    How would one go about selling it and seeking a replacement reg. no. before "importing" the car into Ireland ?
    I have often wondered about this in relation to UK cars which are referred to as "having a valuable private number".

I would call the E34 the last of the old skool 5-series!

Had a '94 530i V8 petrol myself. First owner the Finnish ambassador to Ireland :)

Now I sold the Mercedes, I would be tempted to bring one in from the UK. Very little choice though at the lower end of the market (my budget)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-520i-e34-1988-vintage-tax-2950-price-drop/20423988

NGExYzNjZmI0MWUxZjc1MWM3MmE3ZGEzNjYzMzE3Y2RMcB9Q3eG1K0i03Xyg6DhlaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTM0OTIwNjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Base spec (or close to it) 520i here on classic tax, saves you the trip at least.

• Advertisement

Had a '94 530i V8 petrol myself. First owner the Finnish ambassador to Ireland :)

Now I sold the Mercedes, I would be tempted to bring one in from the UK. Very little choice though at the lower end of the market (my budget)

I suspect u mean a 540i.... stunning car

Nope, 530i

3.0l M60 V8 petrol engine. Also came in 4.0l version. Engine prone to the Nikasil issue if you use dirty (high sulphur) petrol like they used to do in the USA (gulf oil) and parts of the UK (north sea oil). My car never had this issue as it was originally Irish and it was fed a diet of clean Arab petrol :p

Nope, 530i

3.0l M60 V8 petrol engine. Also came in 4.0l version. Engine prone to the Nikasil issue if you use dirty (high sulphur) petrol like they used to do in the USA (gulf oil) and parts of the UK (north sea oil). My car never had this issue as it was originally Irish and it was fed a diet of clean Arab petrol :p

Ah no way, everydays a school day.

What a rare car that was to be fair..

. didn’t realise there was a v8 3.0i... I thought they were all straight 6....

Funny thing was that in '92 the 530i V8 replaced the 535i straight 6 :)

M60 engine also went in the 8-series and in both the E32 and E38 7-series. My own E38 was a '96 and at that stage had the M62 V8 engine, in my case 3.5l but the more common version of that engine was the 4.4l

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Funny thing was that in '92 the 530i V8 replaced the 535i straight 6 :)

M60 engine also went in the 8-series and in both the E32 and E38 7-series. My own E38 was a '96 and at that stage had the M62 V8 engine, in my case 3.5l but the more common version of that engine was the 4.4l

...I know where there's an E39 540i ....in a field...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Was the sale easy in the end?
    Are you planning in getting another classic?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Was the sale easy in the end?

Pretty much. Got very close to my asking price. Sold it back in October but the buyer pulled out, took me a bit of time to put it back up for sale again. Lots of "last price" merchants of course :rolleyes:

Total cost, including buying the car, petrol, tax, insurance, vrt, nct, plates, repairs, flight, ferry, expenses, everything really, was well under what I got for the car. Free car for 17 months plus money my way :D
    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Are you planning in getting another classic?

Don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about it :p

I shouldn't really. I barely even need 2 cars and I have the Porsche. Which I taxed for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Nicely done. Not often does one cone on top with classic ownership.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unfit2006 wrote: »
    ^^ Beautiful car.

With regard to the "valuable plate", how much could that plate be worth if sold to one of the companies that buy and sell reg numbers in the UK ?
    How would one go about selling it and seeking a replacement reg. no. before "importing" the car into Ireland ?
    I have often wondered about this in relation to UK cars which are referred to as "having a valuable private number".

You need to be able to register the car in your own name at a UK address before you can separate the car and the reg. If you buy the car, filling in the permanent export section of the V5 for the owner to send off and taking the rest, then the reg gets extinguished afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/renault-trafic-van/19451834

Something different.
    Going vintage this year 2.2 petrol.

Advertisement