Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lager Snobbery

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

saabsaab wrote: »
    Antbody drinking Harp Draught ?
    I thought this was a funny troll. After seeing the replies I think I was wrong.

The Guinness West Indies Porter is good. It has a nice malty taste.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s delicious, fûcking delicious, tasty and refreshing. I’ve never seen it in a pint bottle or on draught though here anyway, in England yes.

india-pale-ale-sierra-nevada-brewing-company-beer-png-favpng-Vwi6ywQQStcDPnwSj1DuVCNDn.jpg

Anyone seen or tried this ^^^. I haven’t but I’m imagining it could be delicious.

Mullingans in Stoneybattet have it. I didn’t like it much at all but I’m not really a fan of fruit beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Heineken ( in Ireland) is piss, and for me a 1 way ticket to heartburn central. Everywhere else it’s fine and an acceptable larger to drink.

In Ireland Heineken is 4.3%

Everywhere else in the world it’s 5%

So whatever they’ve done to it to reduce its alcohol content in Ireland makes it undrinkable to me.

Bud, Coors, Miller - no thanks I’d rather have a coke or a tea if they were the only beers on offer.

Carlsberg - fine, and drinkable.

Corona - fine ( but only with a slice of lime in it, without, its undrinkable!!)

Germany - best beers out there.

Honourable mention - Lithuania - Svyturis Ekstra - an excellent larger that I drank regularly in the 18 months I was living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Heineken ( in Ireland) is piss, and for me a 1 way ticket to heartburn central. Everywhere else it’s fine and an acceptable larger to drink.

In Ireland Heineken is 4.3%

Everywhere else in the world it’s 5%

So whatever they’ve done to it to reduce its alcohol content in Ireland makes it undrinkable to me.

Bud, Coors, Miller - no thanks I’d rather have a coke or a tea if they were the only beers on offer.

Carlsberg - fine, and drinkable.

Corona - fine ( but only with a slice of lime in it, without, its undrinkable!!)

Germany - best beers out there.

Honourable mention - Lithuania - Svyturis Ekstra - an excellent larger that I drank regularly in the 18 months I was living there.
    I get terrible acid reflux from alcohol free beer. Wonder if it's related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Heineken.

Heineken is a really good beer, Erdinger is a great beer and Calsberg is pisswater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Greyfox wrote: »
    Heineken is a really good beer,

I would agree, just as long as you’re not drinking it in Ireland where it’s only 4.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Can you actually get draught harp in the south anymore?

Co Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone like Budvar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

bmc58 wrote: »
    Bass was a pretty good drink.

Still on tap in the Beaumont House last time I was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

That are not readily available here to mass market.

All the well known American beers are poor. The obscure ones could be good but I've never had them or came across them.

What would you recommend?

Love a few blue moons. Especially on tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Sam Adams Boston Lager available in Ireland?

Yeah, I buy it regularly enough. Molloy’s and O’Brien’s sell it anyway and I’m sure other off licences do too.

A beautiful drink.

Some of the Carry Outs have the Boston lager too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You can get bottles of it here. Seen it in some off licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be an ultra beer hipster...

The best local beer for a country I have been too was South Korea. Cass Extra and Hite are the most popular drinks over. Cass is magnificently refreshing.

I'm sure somebody from Korea will be calling it piss and that they don't know beer until they've had Carling.

Big shout out to Croatia with Ozujsko and Karlovacko. I had a non alcoholic Ozujsko at a football match and it was the first non alcoholic beer that I really liked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You can get bottles of it here. Seen it in some off licences.

Dunnes have sold it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,272 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The best local beer for a country I have been too was South Korea. Cass Extra and Hite are the most popular drinks over. Cass is magnificently refreshing.

I'm sure somebody from Korea will be calling it piss and that they don't know beer until they've had Carling.

Big shout out to Croatia with Ozujsko and Karlovacko. I had a non alcoholic Ozujsko at a football match and it was the first non alcoholic beer that I really liked
    Ozujsko isn't bad alright, even from the plastic bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Washing down some gamja-tang with Cass. Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

You can get some pretty damn decent German lager on the cheap from Aldi (I live in England but I think it's much the same stock as you get in Ireland).

Rheinbacher is a personal fave. Purity law FTW. Far prefer it to Heino, Carlsberg or any of that. I've never had a mass produced American lager available in UK or Ireland that I've enjoyed. I did gave some Miller Hi Life when I was in the States that was tasty enough.

As far as the mainstream widely available lagers go I have a soft spot for Stella.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anyone like Budvar?

I don't drink a lot of lager these days, but Budvar is one that I've always been a fan of. They also do a black lager that I'd love to try but I've never seen it on sale in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You call that swill a drink?!

snob2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Anybody else drink Dutch Gold on occasion, think they must have changed the recipe a few years back as its pretty refreshing, best of the low end beers IMO despite its reputation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

All the hipsters coming into clearly old school pubs looking for IPA s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anybody else drink Dutch Gold on occasion, think they must have changed the recipe a few years back as its pretty refreshing, best of the low end beers IMO despite its reputation

Always preferred the Royal Dutch, as my chaser for the buckie....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bmc58 wrote: »
    Bass was a pretty good drink.

That ad was quite interesting. Talking about the taste of a beer etc. Like something the usual suspects would be tearing their hair out about, unless it's Ronnie drew style guff about Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was given the gift of 4 bottles of beer from the Mescan brewery, based in Westport. I've just had 2 bottles, 8.5% and 8.8%. :eek: Definitely...

...something. I'll give my verdict when I sober up. :pac:

Normally drink Miller. On nights out I drink Carlsberg. Somebody brought up Rockshore as re-labelled Bud. No way. They don't taste anything alike.

Had a very nice one the other night: Galway Bay Helles. A good un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Can't go far wrong with any helles tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Acosta wrote: »
    If people are taken in by those Rockshore ads then they deserve to drink ****e beer.

I've had rockshore. Barman gave me a free pint of it a few months ago when they got the tap in. Twas a scorcher of a day and I necked it in two swigs, wouldn't win any awards but as a thirst quencher it serves its purpose. I'm on the Guinness at the moment, it's going down nicely although the first one was a bit of a struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

American beer is piss in general.

I partly agree for the big brands but I don’t agree about the west coast beers around Seattle and Portland and also Vancouver in Canada. Some great beers in these areas.
    Heineken is average to awful. Carlsberg is perfectly fine on tap most of the time.
    I find they can be bad but it can depend on where you are.
    Carling on tap has a head on it much like Don King's 'fro but it will do in a pinch and actually isn't that bad.
    Not keen on Carling, a Canadian beer that’s impossible to find in Canada, they just export it like the Australians do with Fosters.
    Tuborg is fine on tap and can.
    It’s ok I guess, cheap anyway
    Bav will give you bad hangovers.
    Im not familiar with this so I’ll take your advice, not keen on the hangovers
    Bud is mostly for kids who want to get drunk real quick in a field somewhere and men in bootcut jeans.
    Has a redneck image too, awful stuff
    Quite like Tiger on tap.
    Yes, I’ve had worse

The NW of the US does have some excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Heinekens , Carlsbergs Coors etc have been brewing for hundreds of years. They are the biggest selling beers in the world. They must be doing something right.
    Marketing, like McDonald’s except with beer
    And you dont sound like a twat ordering it.
    A pint of plumbers precum.
    A real twat would be the one having a problem with what someone else was drinking.
    I have drank Moosehead before. Is that a craft beer?
    Nope

• Advertisement
Advertisement