Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

When over 600 people are on trolleys the health system is overwhelmed.
    It’s an annual occurrence during January because of flu.

That is part of the issue not the whole issue. There is also the problem with beds in A/e taken up by drunks, homeless, and other cases that can be treated by gps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

When over 600 people are on trolleys the health system is overwhelmed.
    It’s an annual occurrence during January because of flu.

Covid can and will overwhelm the health system at any time. It can also overwhelm health care systems far more robust than ours.

Are you seriously one of those people who compare covid to flu?

This post has reached a new low.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

khalessi wrote: »
    That is part of the issue not the whole issue. There is also the problem with beds in A/e taken up by drunks, homeless, and other cases that can be treated by gps.

GPs cant treat drunks or homeless, the slot size for a GP is less than 10 minutes. You can't fix a complex social issue like that in 10 minutes.

Just today at work we had a man complaining about doctors not socially distancing....while being an inpatient in ED for alcohol. Some people aren't capable of critical thinking and healthcare can be quite litigious at times meaning staff will be reluctant to genuinely be critical of lifestyle choices for fear of repercussions like the gp in Dublin being brought to the medical council for not signing a form allowing a patient not to wear a mask.

smck321 wrote: »
    GPs cant treat drunks or homeless, the slot size for a GP is less than 10 minutes. You can't fix a complex social issue like that in 10 minutes.

Just today at work we had a man complaining about doctors not socially distancing....while being an inpatient in ED for alcohol. Some people aren't capable of critical thinking and healthcare can be quite litigious at times meaning staff will be reluctant to genuinely be critical of lifestyle choices for fear of repercussions like the gp in Dublin being brought to the medical council for not signing a form allowing a patient not to wear a mask.

I know I used to work in A/e. My point being that hospitals being overwhelmed is not just down to flu but a broken system

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1022/1173303-irish-schools-covid/

Finally a journalist is brave enough to raise the issues we have with regards to the difference of close contacts in an educational setting and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

khalessi wrote: »
    I know I used to work in A/e. My point being that hospitals being overwhelmed is not just down to flu but a broken system

100%

The most recent example being the HSE not informing the government that contact tracing collapsed(or so we are told)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1022/1173303-irish-schools-covid/

Finally a journalist is brave enough to raise the issues we have with regards to the difference of close contacts in an educational setting and elsewhere.

Lots of questions throughout the press briefing today thankfully.

I have been saying since schools went back that the lack of testing suites the narrative that schools are safe down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Covid can and will overwhelm the health system at any time. It can also overwhelm health care systems far more robust than ours.

Are you seriously one of those people who compare covid to flu?

This post has reached a new low.

Your missing the point.

It was said that none of the other illnesses overwhelm the health system when flu clearly does.

And no I’m not comparing Covid to Flu, I’m saying in children of school going age that flu is 4 times worse than Covid, and if anyone is going to advocate closing schools for Covid then they better advocate closing it for the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭combat14

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Lots of questions throughout the press briefing today thankfully.

I have been saying since schools went back that the lack of testing suites the narrative that schools are safe down to the ground.

exactly if there is no testing everything is lovely and magically safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just to be clear I'm not denying the damage Covid can do. If anyone still doubts you can read how Czechia is struggling at the moment and asking neighbours for help. And once hospitals are full younger people who need help will die because they can't get a bed or treatment. It's not true Covid kills only old.

That being said flu does overwhelm the system, operations and treatments have to be cancelled because hospitals are full. Unlike Covid kids are super spreaders of flu and yet we don't discuss closing schools every year when there are hundreds of people on trolleys.

So a bit perspective would be nice. At the moment schools are not an issue, hospitals are not full and it would be stupid to close schools without first seeing if current measures limited the spread.

• Advertisement

combat14 wrote: »

I wouldn't say no testing, very limited is the phrase I would use.

Listening to them at the pressers and Norma's statements they keep using the phrase "mass" when it comes to testing in schools. This is totally incorrect.

combat14 wrote: »

I’ve shared this story a few times on here so forgive me if you have seen it - my brothers teacher tested positive - she told her class via video call, not one student in any of her classes was tested or informed of her having covid. Whatever about primary schools, I reckon secondary schools are rampant.

There are many stories on here, many from the super teachers.

We can’t all be making it up or catching it in our houses as the deputy CMO said tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

We don't have a vaccine for covid. We do have vaccine's for the flu. Health care workers and others can get these jabs, however they, and the elderly and immune compromised are very vulnerable facing covid.

The HSE and our health care system here is a shít show in a normal year.

The two virus' do not overwhelm to the same degree. How can it when the covid deaths here and also take the US for example, far exceed the yearly tally for flu and without it even being a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

joe40 wrote: »
    That would mean closing schools for 6 weeks.

Even less taking into account school holidays. Even completely closing schools will not make any harm to children - what a disaster should happen if they will finish their education month later? It is not taking into account the fact schools are looking prepared to remote education, so no delay expected.
    Then in the new year close them again.

Can i borrow your time machine to check what will happen in new year?
    That is not sustainable.

Please explain.
    Plenty of European countries have incidence higher than ours and schools are still open.

So we should not be smarter then less-smart of them are?
    Of course there is a risk, but it is small.

How small is it?
    Education, in a school setting, is essential for vast majority of our kids.

I do not believe in home learning too, regardless there were very optimistic reports in relation to home learning in this thread. But this is good work around current emergency situation.
    Online/hybrid teaching may work for short term fixes but not in the longer term.

I do not require to close schools forever. But at the L5 they have to be closed, otherwise it is just wasting money and effort.
    We can't depend on a vaccine so long term situation has to be planned for.

No, we cannot completely rely on vaccine. There are doubts is it possible to have vaccine against C19 in principle. So what?
    Robust contact tracing is required with localised closures if needed. More transparency as well.

I'd prefer to have accidents prevented rather than traced post-mortemfactum

Schools are risky so govt needs to be honest.

Govt obliged to be honest :D But something prepends them to close schools for the time of L5, and I can't understand what :confused:

Maybe more could be for vulnerable children/families but I feel the overall education system should be kept functioning.

Let it functioning. But in line with other L5 measures i.e. no children from different households in the same room. Which means remote/home learning or just extended holidays for schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If it is roughly the same number as deaths then it’s minuscule, which if you want to advocate for a closure at that level the don’t be a hypocrite and advocate for a closure during the flu season.
    I never mentioned the flu at any stage.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Just to be clear I'm not denying the damage Covid can do. If anyone still doubts you can read how Czechia is struggling at the moment and asking neighbours for help. And once hospitals are full younger people who need help will die because they can't get a bed or treatment. It's not true Covid kills only old.

That being said flu does overwhelm the system, operations and treatments have to be cancelled because hospitals are full. Unlike Covid kids are super spreaders of flu and yet we don't discuss closing schools every year when there are hundreds of people on trolleys.

So a bit perspective would be nice. At the moment schools are not an issue, hospitals are not full and it would be stupid to close schools without first seeing if current measures limited the spread.

I broadly agree with you except that so far Covid is not a singular cause of mortality in young people, it’s not shown that Young people are dying from as opposed To with it.

I also disagree that schools are not an issue, I think they are but you don’t need to close them if the vulnerable associated with school going kids are isolated.

The track and tracing has been in trouble long before today.

In July Paul Reid was saying 25% of people dont turn up to tests, when I got one of the kids tested I received 4 texts, first one was an appointment, second a different appointment, third a cancellation of 2nd appointment and 4th a third appointment which I then had to cancel.

I have read here of others that happened to.

All the appointments had different codes with them, what if people go to one and dont cancel others? Is it then presumed they were a no show?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So where does personal responsibility come into anything?
    Personal responsibility is attempting to do the right thing, trying to live by the laws and rules if the country. Being careful, being a good parent,
    How do you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I got only one appointment but it took too long for it. I called on Friday, appointment was on Monday and results on Tuesday. That was about month ago. It did coincide with the golf outbreak in town but it shows that the system isn't responsive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never mentioned the flu at any stage.

That is fine, I noticed he does not even read posts before responding them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The mortality rate for kids is tiny.
    If you justify closing schools on the mortality rate then schools wouldn’t ever open again in the winter because the flu has a far higher mortality rate.

Life goes on

I never argued for schools to be closed. They cud however consider a rotated, 4-day week for students to help reduce overcrowding in schools

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personal responsibility is attempting to do the right thing, trying to live by the laws and rules if the country. Being careful, being a good parent,
    How do you see it?

I see it that laws and rules are not enough at times, and too much at other times.
    Medical advice is not always right.
    Government guidelines are stupid plenty.
    You have to err on the side of caution at times.
    You can ignore the rules other times
    But you have to take responsibility on yourself for doing so.

Nobody is going to hold your hand through life.
    Nor should you want it held

I wouldn’t send my kids to school if anyone in the house has underlying health issues because I don’t think they have a handle on the situation and the worst case scenario is possible - so assume it will eventually spread to all people in education.

Thats me wrote: »
    That is fine, I noticed he does not even read posts before responding them :pac:

That’s funny considering the response is to a post where I had not quoted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Confirmed case in my daughters 1st year PP class. Text received tonight Awaiting HSE guidance. Laois.

I really didn't think it would creep into such a rural school, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Confirmed case in my daughters 1st year PP class. Text received tonight Awaiting HSE guidance. Laois.

I really didn't think it would creep into such a rural school, but there you go.

Why did you think that???

Why woud you have thought that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Why did you think that???
    Why woud you have thought that?

Sarcasm lads. Sarcasm! That said, I have a very upset child on my hands, being told to stay out of school and telling me about the actual student who has it, as it was obvious and even teachers were scared. Student spent two days in class with obvious issues. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Sarcasm lads. Sarcasm! That said, I have a very upset child on my hands, being told to stay out of school and telling me about the actual student who has it, as it was obvious and even teachers were scared. Student spent two days in class with obvious issues. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Now the extra question will be how many students and staff will be considered close contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

• Advertisement

Now the extra question will be how many students and staff will be considered close contacts?

Im putting my money on all of them:cool:;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement