Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

scamalert wrote: »
    what does the map show, is area live or in process etc, are any other houses connected and so on yet ? if not could be early stages of putting hardware up so could go eitherway.

if area is fully live and the house was skipped, a last ditch solution would be a point to point wireless link from the fibre enabled old house if you have access to it and line of sight from current house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

So I see the fibre has gone live in my area to order and can order today via Eir (no chance) and Digiweb text me also but sky can't see. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the other providers to update their systems to reflect new availablity?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

fionny wrote: »
    So I see the fibre has gone live in my area to order and can order today via Eir (no chance) and Digiweb text me also but sky can't see. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the other providers to update their systems to reflect new availablity?

I think it takes about a week or 2 :) If you have waited years for fibre then another week will be worth the wait to get the extra options :)

Altreab2 wrote: »
    I think it takes about a week or 2 :) If you have waited years for fibre then another week will be worth the wait to get the extra options :)

Lies! I want it now!

Actually got a sales call from Digiweb who said they are preselling for go live 23rd December so I guess a week or 2 for sky to catch up on that.

Actually anyone know do you HAVE to use the Telco provided Modem for FTTH? Reason I ask is my father in law has Siro and switch from VF to Sky... the line cut over but the old VF modem kept on working away as Sky.. so seems like with Siro the modems are actually just acting as routers and not managing any connection itself and thats handled by the fibre end point box (whatever its called)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Actually anyone know do you HAVE to use the Telco provided Modem for FTTH? Reason I ask is my father in law has Siro and switch from VF to Sky... the line cut over but the old VF modem kept on working away as Sky.. so seems like with Siro the modems are actually just acting as routers and not managing any connection itself and thats handled by the fibre end point box (whatever its called)
    I am with Eir for fibre and use an Asus router

garroff wrote: »
    I am with Eir for fibre and use an Asus router

So you literally have the fibre box (ONT?) and plug in any router and off you go? So no need to configure any settings etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

So you literally have the fibre box (ONT?) and plug in any router and off you go? So no need to configure any settings etc?

You will need to input password and provider details

garroff wrote: »
    You will need to input password and provider details

ok so you need a modem then not just a router

Lies! I want it now!

Actually got a sales call from Digiweb who said they are preselling for go live 23rd December so I guess a week or 2 for sky to catch up on that.

I wanted it 10 years before i got it :) Well worth the wait i have to say :) You can spend the last couple of weeks researching your supplier. Some of them have regular contributors on here. Dont forget that good customer service is vital and factor that into any final decision. Price is important but as program on RTE last night showed its when things go wrong that you see who the real good suppliers are. Best of luck on the hunt :) Send a message if you want to know who i went with eventually. It wasnt either of the ones on TV last night thankfully :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I wanted it 10 years before i got it :) Well worth the wait i have to say :) You can spend the last couple of weeks researching your supplier. Some of them have regular contributors on here. Dont forget that good customer service is vital and factor that into any final decision. Price is important but as program on RTE last night showed its when things go wrong that you see who the real good suppliers are. Best of luck on the hunt :) Send a message if you want to know who i went with eventually. It wasnt either of the ones on TV last night thankfully :D:D:D:D:D:D

Im stuck with Sky for a while... if I was choosing today id go with Pure to be honest... wont ever go for Eir the ****es and had really really bad experiences with vodafone's lying CS team also after years of being a loyal customer.

Im stuck with Sky for a while... if I was choosing today id go with Pure to be honest... wont ever go for Eir the ****es and had really really bad experiences with vodafone's lying CS team also after years of being a loyal customer.

Id actually add imagine to that list as well :) Pure dont have best reputation when i was researching either :(

Id actually add imagine to that list as well :) Pure dont have best reputation when i was researching either :(

Oh really i heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭happyplants

Hi, I wonder could anyone with experience help me on this. Basically I am on a yellow line. So, yay. However, the pole right outside the house has no black box / DP. The pole about 250 down the road does and the pole about 250 metres up the road does. But the pole lines only connect to the one down the road. Basically it looks like this:-

[DP].........................................[Nothing]...........................................[DP]

Pole 1
    Pole 2 at "my" House............................. Pole 3

........<<<wires between 1 and 2>>>..................<<<no connection twixt 2 and 3>>>>

Now, all this is on the yellow line and every checker says "you got it", but I'm very suspicious because of the absence of the DP outside and the relatively long distance between the poles.

Do they ever string a DP from one pole to another or do they only string / duct DP direct to the house?

The upshot here is that this is a house purchase and kinda gambling everything I have on it...if anyone has any insight on this kinda thing, it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Now, all this is on the yellow line and every checker says "you got it", but I'm very suspicious because of the absence of the DP outside and the relatively long distance between the poles.

Do they ever string a DP from one pole to another or do they only string / duct DP direct to the house?

The upshot here is that this is a house purchase and kinda gambling everything I have on it...if anyone has any insight on this kinda thing, it would be appreciated.

Mentioned on the forum previously, a spool of cable is 500m, so if you're on the rollout list it means they will run the cable from the nearest DP along the poles to the one outside your house and then either overhead or via an existing duct to your house.

The Cush wrote: »
    Mentioned on the forum previously, a spool of cable is 500m, so if you're on the rollout list it means they will run the cable from the nearest DP along the poles to the one outside your house and then either overhead or via an existing duct to your house.

That's really helpful, and apologies for missing it out in the prior posts, but I just couldn't see it. I think there's about 320m all things considered if you go from one pole to the other and then get into the house area (and I'll have to do ducting and so on), that seems positive. There's no ducting and the prior owner took down phone lines some time ago. I think its just over 50m pole to house.

Could I ask the follow on question?

In terms of the pathway from pole 1 (DP) to pole 2 (no DP, but at house), its pretty tree-stuffed.

I'll link add a google streetview image below. Is it likely that this would be an issue? Like, I have zero control over the growth around the lines and it is a reasonable concern to think they may be unwilling to string more wires along this pathway?

https://ibb.co/6ysk8sP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Hi, I wonder could anyone with experience help me on this. Basically I am on a yellow line. So, yay. However, the pole right outside the house has no black box / DP. The pole about 250 down the road does and the pole about 250 metres up the road does. But the pole lines only connect to the one down the road. Basically it looks like this:-

[DP].........................................[Nothing]...........................................[DP]

Pole 1
    Pole 2 at "my" House............................. Pole 3

........<<<wires between 1 and 2>>>..................<<<no connection twixt 2 and 3>>>>

FWIW My Pole on street was in the same scenario (but further from the nearest spool) and the spur line travels over 4 more polls (all on private land) until it gets to my house.

Just today I got the notice that my power would be disconnected in Jan so they can run the fiber along the polls in our gardens. (Happy Days)

schmoo2k wrote: »
    FWIW My Pole on street was in the same scenario (but further from the nearest spool) and the spur line travels over 4 more polls (all on private land) until it gets to my house.

Just today I got the notice that my power would be disconnected in Jan so they can run the fiber along the polls in our gardens. (Happy Days)

Great stuff! Maybe I'm way too negative, but I can just imagine them saying "oh there's too much foliage there" and leaving me to figure out how to get rakes of neighbours to trim back trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Great stuff! Maybe I'm way too negative, but I can just imagine them saying "oh there's too much foliage there" and leaving me to figure out how to get rakes of neighbours to trim back trees.

That was totally me yesterday! FWIW my wires go through heavy trees as well.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    That was totally me yesterday! FWIW my wires go through heavy trees as well.

I accept your information as the basis upon which I will buy a house. :-)

I suppose we all so used to surly, awful service I just expect the guys to say there's no way they are going to bring a wire across tree engrossed poles.

Hopefully not, but if so, I'm proper f'ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The most important thing to remember is that you must be located no more than 1000m from a cabinet in future and ideally ( in order to get to 100mbits or higher) you must be located no more than 500m away.

I'm less than 700m on the road from a fibre cabinet to my house. Yet, eir tell me I can only get up to 3mbits. Is there anything I can do to get any faster internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

jdon72 wrote: »
    I'm less than 700m on the road from a fibre cabinet to my house. Yet, eir tell me I can only get up to 3mbits. Is there anything I can do to get any faster internet?

if you put your eircode into either nbi.ie or https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/ what results do you get. Use your eircode as opposed to your current landline number

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    if you put your eircode into either nbi.ie or https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/ what results do you get. Use your eircode as opposed to your current landline number

Digiweb says: "Based on your line length/quality we estimate that your maximum speeds would be 2Mbit/s download and 1 Mbit/s upload"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I have a fiber broadband contract with Vodafone but i have a DSL line connecting my house to the fiber cabinet.
    The fiber cabinet is only a few meters from my front door.
    Is there anyway i can find out any plans on upgrading the local infrastructure so i can get fiber to my house?

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I have a fiber broadband contract with Vodafone but i have a DSL line connecting my house to the fiber cabinet.
    The fiber cabinet is only a few meters from my front door.
    Is there anyway i can find out any plans on upgrading the local infrastructure so i can get fiber to my house?

Sadly this is next to impossible to get info on... keep an eye on the telephone poles in your area for the black fibre boxes to be going on (normally with a coil of cable around them) thats a good first indicator of it going in... it may be months after you see those before FTTH is actually available though.

Open Eir etc do not respond to queries and the telco's themselves have no info to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just wondering, if a new estate is being built in an area currently not serviced by FTTH and is not included in the list of towns as part of Eirs IFN, will that estate be connected?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that all new estates being built would be connected to FTTH regardless of location?

The estate in question is very close to a DP pole on the road, maybe 500m but I know for a fact there is no Fibre or even FTTC providing service in that area currently.

Would it be a case of the developer speaking with Open Eir or just a complete no go until the NBP comes around?

If there is no fibre in the area then its not going to be connected until the fibre is rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

If there is no fibre in the area then its not going to be connected until the fibre is rolled out.

Im wondering though as its a new estate, Open eir would still have to come out and do works for phone/copper lines which is dead on arrival.

Wouldnt they just be better off rolling out Fibre infrastructure?

joe123 wrote: »
    Im wondering though as its a new estate, Open eir would still have to come out and do works for phone/copper lines which is dead on arrival.

Wouldnt they just be better off rolling out Fibre infrastructure?

I highly doubt Open Eir have that much forethought. They MAY put the cabling in the estate but if the fibre isnt outside the estate then it wont be connected to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They really wont want to deploy any copper if they can help it, they certainly wont erect a new cab for VDSL, no chance. Most likely you'll be long fingered until the last phase of IFN if I had to guess.

Advertisement