Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jaysus, i went away for a few days and they blitzed the place. snowtown was also tarred and chipped, as well as mullaghteelin too.

funny thing is neither road needed doing, i've come down off snowtown at decent enough speed without worrying about the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Greenfield Road & Carrickbrack Road on the climb & descent of Howth Hill are currently in bits while a surface is being put down. Surface is very rough and loose and also the man hole covers are a good bit higher then the ****ty surface. Goes from roughly the secondary school up to near Duncarrig (after the primary school/grave yard coming down)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

still a few minor pockets of standing water out there, but the rock road at the bottom of booterstown avenue - on the inbound side - is under about six inches of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The 'cycle lane' (aka, the section of road inside the dotted white line) along Goatstown Road inbound today was like a mini-stream. There was heavy traffic, so opportunities to move out of the lane were very limited.

It wasn't really raining that heavily for most of my journey, but there was an awful lot of water on the road. Hopefully, the newspaper-stuffed shoes will dry out before I head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The 'cycle lane' (aka, the section of road inside the dotted white line) along Goatstown Road inbound today was like a mini-stream. There was heavy traffic, so opportunities to move out of the lane were very limited.

It wasn't really raining that heavily for most of my journey, but there was an awful lot of water on the road. Hopefully, the newspaper-stuffed shoes will dry out before I head home.

Was going down there around 8am - have never seen it so bad.

To be fair - any time I signaled to move out the people in the motoring lane held back and left space.
    Only problem was at the Roebuck lights - someone coming from Roebuck trying to squeeze into the queue had overshot the turn, and was stopped blocking the cycle lane :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 breathless

Between Ranelagh and Portobello, someone, presumably DCC made a half hearted attempt to sweep up the leaves yesterday and has left two large piles in the middle of the cycle path

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hole in the road as you turn towards Parkgate street from the Quays, just as you cross the bridge before Heuston and turn left, the hole by the manhole there is growing my the day.
    An awful one to inadvertently go into if you're not familiar with the road. It's just on the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

eeeee wrote: »
    Hole in the road as you turn towards Parkgate street from the Quays, just as you cross the bridge before Heuston and turn left, the hole by the manhole there is growing my the day.
    An awful one to inadvertently go into if you're not familiar with the road. It's just on the turn.

That's been at least a week developing worse each day and typical inept council patch work previously hence the problem. Likely to break a wheel or wrist hitting that it's so bad at present.
    The whole of Parkgate Street is a disgrace in both directions, they resurfaced a small section heading east just before that quays that was particularly bad at the time of the velo convention but usual half measures.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I passed this in Portmarnock again this morning... it's exactly the same, or even worse. With two lads scratching their heads beside the big industrial pump that's trying to empty it.

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=20

And what's funny, or depressing is that these fields have always been perpetually flooded. And it's not the sea that's flooding it as the road is below this point. I would have thought a drainage solution was part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is that south of the airport beacon enclosure?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is that south of the airport beacon enclosure?

Yep. Immediately south of it. The water runs right up to the fence surrounding the beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

As I understand it, the track is dual-purpose. Cycleway and triathlon training...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I passed this in Portmarnock again this morning... it's exactly the same, or even worse. With two lads scratching their heads beside the big industrial pump that's trying to empty it.

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=20

And what's funny, or depressing is that these fields have always been perpetually flooded. And it's not the sea that's flooding it as the road is below this point. I would have thought a drainage solution was part of the plan.

The word on the street is:

https://twitter.com/alan_kelly/status/1192720932550447105?s=21

07Lapierre wrote: »

You know, when I first heard of this track my initial thought was that they would f*ck it up in some way. But my god this is epic; I had thought that maybe they wouldn't make it wide enough, or make a mess of the junctions. But needing a boat to traverse the track is a whole new level of insanity. And it doesn't even take much rain for this section to flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

2 areas to watch

Mud on the cycle track coming into Leeson street from Morehampton road, with large pool of water when it rains. It's hazardous because that part of street is not well lit on the way home in the evening.

Large spread of wet and compressed leaves on Anglesea Road just after the RDS where there are car parking spaces, as a cyclist maintain control in this section do not cycle through them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm thinking of going for a shower in the Slieve Blooms today. I've never been before. For anytime who is familiar, should I have any concerns about ice on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Large spread of wet and compressed leaves on Anglesea Road just after the RDS where there are car parking spaces, as a cyclist maintain control in this section do not cycle through them.
    The RDS side of Anglesea Road floods with any kind of vaguely heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The RDS side of Anglesea Road floods with any kind of vaguely heavy rain.

It’s grand though. The locals only drive 4X4’s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bazermc wrote: »
    It’s grand though. The locals only drive 4X4’s

Ah, the D4 tractor, the ideal vehicle for all those agricultural needs of the modern suburban family

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ah, the D4 tractor, the ideal vehicle for all those agricultural needs of the modern suburban family

They all have invisible tow bars for pulling their non existent trailers and horseboxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

They all have invisible tow bars for pulling their non existent trailers and horseboxes.

Although having recently bought a car where the tow-bar retracts out of sight when not in use I've found myself having to rethink that opinion which I also shared!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced. The top layer from just before the Abbey Tavern to the T junction is gone. The surface is very rough with ramps at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced. The top layer from just before the Abbey Tavern to the T junction is gone. The surface is very rough with ramps at both ends.

They've dug it up and there's cobbles. Time for the Ronde von howth

help me. Ronde?

help me. Ronde?

'De Ronde' is a Dutch nickname for 'The Tour', referring to Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders), which involves riding on cobbles :)

(it was just a (weak) joke)

(it was just a (weak) joke)

D'oh, it's been a long day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Gritters have been out so roads have that scummy greasy surface to them be careful out there...Mt Venus road, cruagh and view point last night but no doubt all the lesser used gritted roads will be the same.

• Advertisement

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced.
    have they completed this yet?

Advertisement