Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Interesting to see the comparisons above - section on Cruagh was properly scraped and re-laid (passed by them as they were doing it and then later that day on way home..) then on Long Hill and also on Military Rd approaching Laragh they just lash down the tar and chippings.

The latter tar and chippings are an affront to cyclists.. it is dangerous to cycle over and also as cars speed past you there is strong chance of getting hit with stones from it.

Worse again... no more land speed records down the Long Hill from Djouce - I had 90Kmh in my sights on a good tail wind day; alas.. will need to left for another year.

To be honest, it's probably for the best. Not the road surface but from stopping you hitting those speeds. Car park for the forest in the to left that I've seen horse riders come out of and then driveway in to the right. You simply wont be able to stop in time.

Speed limit along there I think is 60? Car or not you should respect the speed limit unless in an event on closed roads.

Your post might be tongue in cheek but its been a long day and can't tell so apologies if I've taken you up on it incorrectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Interesting to see the comparisons above - section on Cruagh was properly scraped and re-laid (passed by them as they were doing it and then later that day on way home..)
    they may just be laying down the foundation layer and could be coming back to tar and feather the road later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

To be honest, it's probably for the best. Not the road surface but from stopping you hitting those speeds. Car park for the forest in the to left that I've seen horse riders come out of and then driveway in to the right. You simply wont be able to stop in time.

Speed limit along there I think is 60? Car or not you should respect the speed limit unless in an event on closed roads.

Your post might be tongue in cheek but its been a long day and can't tell so apologies if I've taken you up on it incorrectly.

You know what.. I am not disagreeing :D But when you come over the brow of that hill from Djouce and you see a clear road in front of you, it's hard to resist..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

To be honest, it's probably for the best. Not the road surface but from stopping you hitting those speeds.

A poor road surface is hardly a valid strategy for limiting speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭devonp

smacl wrote: »
    Remarkably good new surface on Cruagh road from the second bridge to just before Cruagh woods carpark. Judging from other roads in the area, expecting it to be ankle deep in gravel shortly.

on an extended commute this evening passed over this, its good but its not very long, the worst bit is further up in the shaded area for about 300m before the sharp right with the gate on the left ...appalling:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lots of much on the roads around NCD this morning, i've been told the spuds are being lifted. maybe due to the forecast over the next day or two, which might help to wash them clean again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

lots of much on the roads around NCD this morning, i've been told the spuds are being lifted. maybe due to the forecast over the next day or two, which might help to wash them clean again.

Yep potato harvest.
    And lads ploughing and sowing winter wheat/barley

Was driving kentstown Duleek yesterday.
    Did a demo for the wife by standing on breaks on a particularly bad bit. Be safer stopping on ice!!

In fairness some of these boys are very organised, trailer in field to hardstanding at the gate then fill a clean trailer there. But there's some serious culprits out there, not 2 ****s given

yeah, there's a yellow rain warning for the whole country for the next day or two, so they might have gotten in this weekend for fear the fields might have been too muddy to access for the next week or two?

my parents in law live out in NCD and were very impressed that the local lads dropped in a box of veg for them as an acknowledgement for disruption caused last year. i'd have been more impressed if they cleaned the roads after themselves, instead of giving away veg which probably cost them no more than 2 euro each for the 10 or 20 boxes they gave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

North Wicklow/ South Dublin 5km radius:

The increasingly popular Barnaslingan Lane was blocked today at Barnaslingan Wood entrance if coming from the Ballyman Road end. Don't know how far you can get from the Ballycorus Road/ Kilternan side. I had to turn right onto Murphy's lane and down Puck's Castle Lane to get to Ballycorus Road. Sign said 'local access only' so I asked the workman would I get down on a bike - no. How long would the works be there - don't know. Tbf English wasn't the chap's first language though. Given how busy that area has become again lately at weekends anyway I'd say it'll be a mess tomorrow as there were cars on the side of the road even today due to a full car park at the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Be careful coming down the Edmonstown road at the junction with the R116. The road is caked in muck / greasy layer from a new entrance to a building site nearby. I came off the bike turning left onto the R116, my shoulder hasn’t been right all day now and got a few extra cuts and grazes for my trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Be careful coming down the Edmonstown road at the junction with the R116. The road is caked in muck / greasy layer from a new entrance to a building site nearby. I came off the bike turning left onto the R116, my shoulder hasn’t been right all day now and got a few extra cuts and grazes for my trouble.

If it’s a building site causing it, I assume you could report it to the HSA.

Hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I fell at the roundabout there on Tuesday last week for the same reason. Snapped derailleur hanger and a bit of damage to the shifter aswell as a purple and swollen hip.

Hope your ok

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hope you recover soon.

And to South DUBLIN Co Co,, who may well respond faster.

I’ve just been on to Alan edge who is going to make a representation to the council

that time of year again; increased corrosion ahoy.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1331963724219944965

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Oh god it's officially mandatory post spin bike washing season :(

Hope you recover soon.

The local council.
    Sounds like a planning /road safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

eeeee wrote: »
    Oh god it's officially mandatory post spin bike washing season :(

For me, it's been bike washing season for a while with the amount of new developments near where I live.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    For me, it's been bike washing season for a while with the amount of new developments near where I live.

Yeah snap, houses, Amazon doing their thing, and road works all over the place.

They clean the roads outside their sites but the adjoining roads here are mankey. Had to ask the lady at preschool on Monday for wipes to clean the right side of my daughters face and mine as we'd been sprayed with a fine mist of filth as a truck passed us on said dirty roads.

Was ****ting myself carrying her on the back for a 500-600m stretch of day old smooth asphalt downhill, very slippery just let gravity do it's thing and rolled it and car behind got the idea when I signalled to move out to take the lane and gestured at him to back off followed by a thumbs up.

There were 3 stop/go works near us in recent days and I was fortunate not to have met even one idiot either on my own or with the child looking to get by , all happy to sit behind and a decent distance off my wheel until we cleared the cones.

The local council.
    Sounds like a planning /road safety issue.

Already well on it. Enforcement office is going to lean on the developer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pass there most days and to be fair there is a guy hosing down the road outside more often than not. Whether he's just moving the crap to the other side of road is another question. Certainly adds a fine layer of mud to the bike but given I often cross Masseys wood later on, it's not a problem.

The newly surfaced section of Cruagh has been a bit sketchy descending with all the rotting leaves and I'm guessing will deserve due caution when the properly icy weather arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah snap, houses, Amazon doing their thing, and road works all over the place.

Donore road in Drogheda? A lot of work going on there alright. Do you have bike trailer to carry kids?

Pass there most days and to be fair there is a guy hosing down the road outside more often than not.
    i'd say that road would be fun this morning if he was up early doing it today.

positron wrote: »
    Donore road in Drogheda? A lot of work going on there alright. Do you have bike trailer to carry kids?

I don't, rear seat is what I use and the reason for that choice is simple, a lady at my work gave it to me for free way back. Wouldn't mind a trailer but at this stage it wouldn't see the use to justify getting one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i'd say that road would be fun this morning if he was up early doing it today.

Indeed. You wonder what exactly a building contractor moving heavy machinery in and out of a mucky urban construction site can reasonably do to keep the road clean? I'm guessing the guy with the hose is there on the foot of complaints but doubt the efficacy of it all. Locals are all ready up in arms as there are a bunch of seven story apartments going into the adjacent site so things are likely to be getting quite a bit worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Indeed. You wonder what exactly a building contractor moving heavy machinery in and out of a mucky urban construction site can reasonably do to keep the road clean? I'm guessing the guy with the hose is there on the foot of complaints but doubt the efficacy of it all. Locals are all ready up in arms as there are a bunch of seven story apartments going into the adjacent site so things are likely to be getting quite a bit worse.

They should be power washing the wheels of the trucks on site, just before they exit onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

anybody up stocking Lane/Cruagh wood this week, what are the roads like. Might go that way tomorrow, depending on if there is an overnight frost or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

bazermc wrote: »
    anybody up stocking Lane/Cruagh wood this week, what are the roads like. Might go that way tomorrow, depending on if there is an overnight frost or not

Just back from there and was grand. The only hazard was the Dublin bus driver who didn’t seem to know that you have to yield to traffic coming from the right on a round about, but sure that happens anytime of the year.

there's quite a deep pothole that's opened up along the runway by dublin airport. hard to miss (by that i mean it's easy to miss, i guess), just a couple of hundred metres east of the entrance to the blue long term car park, eastbound.
    but if you were caught unawares, it's one which could chew a rim on you.

also, the junction a bit further on was resurfaced in november, and you can see it's already starting to come apart. that'll be fun in a few months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another one near here too.
    Someone has put a traffic cone in it which helps.

https://goo.gl/maps/nMgAcdjKYAErhmsi9

Advertisement