Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    Ugh this is all awful news. Maybe time for an email to the council, see if they can avoid chip and tar on popular cycling routes? Maybe use heatmaps to judge which roads they can put that on?
    I think encouraging cycling is part of the government strategic plan for sport, could make a case for it under that.

I've mailed them before and didn't even get a cursory PFO letter. Its not my area of expertise so I inquired with those who know better than me. I put in the info I was given but they didn't even acknowledge it. Wicklow CoCo (as a resident) are the most bizarre set up as an outsider looking in. It gets even funnier when you get items that fall under Bray town Council and the pass the parcel with anything that isn't motor tax related begins. Incredibly effective as most, like myself give up. I am pretty sure both have paid roles for several things that their job simply involves responding that you must contact the other crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wicklow Co. Co. put down a billiard table surface on Lisheen Road last year. About a month later they dressed it with chippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bellewstown hill. From the school looking west.
    Chippy chippings.

Also Oldbridge / Battle of Boyne site up the hill to donore was chippy last weekend.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Wicklow Co. Co. put down a billiard table surface on Lisheen Road last year. About a month later they dressed it with chippings.

I explained that a bit here previously

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/109976889

Probably DBM was the billiard table, which is unsuitable as a long term wearing course

Bellewstown hill. From the school looking west.
    Chippy chippings.

Also Oldbridge / Battle of Boyne site up the hill to donore was chippy last weekend.

Had the ''pleasure" of both roads earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Good to know, I was going to head out that way tomorrow to recce the hill just north of the racecourse for another crack at an hour hillclimb.

Good to know, I was going to head out that way tomorrow to recce the hill just north of the racecourse for another crack at an hour hillclimb.

It's fine coming up from julianstown side. Assume the north up/down fine too?

Chips were off to the west. Worn in a bit but I hadn't the heart for it. Chipping descents are my worst nightmare

I await your report :pac:

I struggled up I don't mind saying with lockdown legs. I remember as kids we'd ride up there with ease to go pick strawberries out there in the summer. Herself though was fine up it and took 2 off her PB which meant I was dropped at the bend to suffer alone.

Even with the good legs I'd have trouble after a 3rd or 4th run at that I'd say.

Meath co co must have a hill plan in place.

Skryne hill from west next!! (and possible south)

Plasterered in loose chipping signs today. All new shiney ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I await your report :pac:
    Summary of report: a hard no. I had about 400m or 500m in the legs already when I tackled it, and it's too lumpy. Granny geared it up the step section. No chance of getting into any sort of rhythm on it.

• Advertisement

Summary of report: a hard no. I had about 400m or 500m in the legs already when I tackled it, and it's too lumpy. Granny geared it up the step section. No chance of getting into any sort of rhythm on it.

Yeah sounds like my experience on it, theres another road on the same side a little to the west I haven't been up in years. Not sure if it's as steep but it's much more twisty. Which is probably why I haven't been up it in so long and don't see any segments for either.

i did that today too, bellewstown bridge, a little bit before doing the hill above. it's way too twisty a descent for something where you're against the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Why do they put down loose stones like that? Surely it's hazardous?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Maynooth to Kilcock is now chipped sealed just beyond the graveyard. There was a frost damaged stretch for a few hundred meters under some trees, but the rest of that road was decent.

I did mention before about a 3km stretch from Clane towards Straffen that was recently chipsealed. It has to be one of the worst examples of chipsealing in the country. That road will damage cars let alone bicycles.

Just to add to someone else who posted above regarding newly laid tarmac which is subsequently covered a few weeks later in chipseal. The same thing happened along a stretch going towards Ardclough a few weeks back. Felt like the holy grail of smooth surface but apparently was only an underseal before they added the stone chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Loose clippings on the Dublin/Trim road between Batterstown and Drumree. Looks recent, and rather unpleasant to cycle on. Avoid if you're out that way over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just to add to someone else who posted above regarding newly laid tarmac which is subsequently covered a few weeks later in chipseal. The same thing happened along a stretch going towards Ardclough a few weeks back. Felt like the holy grail of smooth surface but apparently was only an underseal before they added the stone chips.

I await the inevitable ruination of the glorious surface from Ashford to Hunter's Hotel so. Must be the best surface I've ever ridden on but it's one of the few in that area that hasn't been destroyed with chippings (yet again).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

In case it hasn't been mentioned, new loose chips layed on the road between Laragh and Glenmacnass for a few hundred meters on one of the flatter bits about halfway between the waterfall and Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Enduro wrote: »
    In case it hasn't been mentioned, new loose chips layed on the road between Laragh and Glenmacnass for a few hundred meters on one of the flatter bits about halfway between the waterfall and Laragh.
    Wonder if they're working their way up towards that bit of perfect road from the waterfall back towards the Sally Gap? :(

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.0839817,-6.3573906,3a,75y,357.29h,88.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szAb_pXlIkE0iaqw3x21pvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Imagine if the whole uplands was like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Enduro wrote: »
    Yes, we experienced it on the Evil ride yesterday. Thankfully our fears that it would extend all the way up Glenmacnass were unfounded.

Meath co co must have a hill plan in place.

Skryne hill from west next!! (and possible south)

Plasterered in loose chipping signs today. All new shiney ones.

Chipped and VERY loose
    Ran up today. Was able to kick stones off the whole road width

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lots of Gravel on Monastery Road heading down to Enniskerry Village. Take it handy if you are taking the left at the Garage or you will end up fishtailing all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecks sake thats a great road wrecked. I used to go home to Bray from Sandyford/Carrickmines through Enniskerry just because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Entrance of Djouce to the bottom of Old Long Hill destroyed with chippings today.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Plastik wrote: »
    Entrance of Djouce to the bottom of Old Long Hill destroyed with chippings today.

How I wish I'd spotted this post last night. I was on this road yesterday morning and it hadn't been done, nor was there any sign of any impending work. Came down from Djouce on the top descent again this morning and spotted a truck coming against me in the distance and a chap walking several dogs ahead of me on my side so I had to slow down - all the while cursing the dog walker, who inadvertently probably saved me from coming off.

As soon as it evened out at the bottom of the first drop the chippings hit and I was still going fast enough, depsite braking hard, that I was all over the shop. It was like cycling on snow (checked the camera later and the advance signage is appalling). The chippings go all the way down to the T junction. I could see over to my left at the bottom that the road towards Enniskerry is also done. I turned right towards the Long Hill and as of 12:30 today it was being chipped on that road and the had got as far as the junction for the Rocky Valley Drive. There's also a stop/ go system in place and I got caught there for almost 5 minutes.

Stay on the main road!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Remarkably good new surface on Cruagh road from the second bridge to just before Cruagh woods carpark. Judging from other roads in the area, expecting it to be ankle deep in gravel shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Plastik wrote: »

I really wish I had the money to bring a high court injunction against Wicklow Co. Co. and force them to remove the chippings on safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

I really wish I had the money to bring a high court injunction against Wicklow Co. Co. and force them to remove the chippings on safety grounds.

Couldn't agree more - they should be obliged to sweep them away on completion. Particularly because car tyres tend to push the chippings right onto the bicycle corner line!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

smacl wrote: »
    Remarkably good new surface on Cruagh road from the second bridge to just before Cruagh woods carpark. Judging from other roads in the area, expecting it to be ankle deep in gravel shortly.

That road is in SDCC - don’t think they go for chip seal? They don’t have as many rural roads to cover as Wicklow CC obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

You could always get in contact with WCC. Anytime I've an issue I lodge it with them. Makes little to no difference when it's just one of us making the complaint but if enough people complain they may move away from Tar and chip.

https://www.wicklow.ie/Living/Services/Roads-Transport/Contacts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Interesting to see the comparisons above - section on Cruagh was properly scraped and re-laid (passed by them as they were doing it and then later that day on way home..) then on Long Hill and also on Military Rd approaching Laragh they just lash down the tar and chippings.

The latter tar and chippings are an affront to cyclists.. it is dangerous to cycle over and also as cars speed past you there is strong chance of getting hit with stones from it.

Worse again... no more land speed records down the Long Hill from Djouce - I had 90Kmh in my sights on a good tail wind day; alas.. will need to left for another year.

Advertisement