Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories season 2
    Patrons of an otherwise mundane Japanese diner find simple yet profound connections with one another based on the shared love of a particular dish.

Nowhere Man season 1
    Two nefarious schemes taking place 10 years apart entangle a dauntless triad member, who must break out of prison to rescue a loved one.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

20th December release date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For my sins, I sat through Hell Fest tonight. What a dribbly fart of a film that was - the writing was pish, the characters were all either arseholes or dull personality voids, the choreography and effects work for the kills is lazy and unimaginative, and the only performance of note was a cameo by Tony Todd. It shouldn't be hard to take a premise like "A serial killer stalks people at a Halloween amusement park" and make something serviceable, but for me Hell Fest was a swing and a miss on pretty much every level. It wasn't even so-bad-it's-good, just bad enough to be a bad, vapid retread of ideas done better elsewhere. Skip it, I wish I had.

The King
    Inspired by Shakespeare’s play, and written by Director David Michôd and star Joel Edgerton, The King sees Timothée Chalamet play Hal, wayward prince and reluctant heir to the English throne. He has turned his back on royal life and is living among the people. But when his tyrannical father dies, Hal is crowned King Henry V and is forced to embrace the life he had previously tried to escape. Now the young king must navigate the palace politics, chaos and war his father left behind, and the emotional strings of his past life — including his relationship with his closest friend and mentor, the ageing alcoholic knight, John Falstaff (Edgerton). Watch out for a cameo from Robert Pattinson doing an outrageous French accent.

Queer Eye: We’re in Japan
    Antoni Porowski (Food & Wine), Bobby Berk (Interior Design), Jonathan Van Ness (Grooming), Karamo Brown (Culture), and Tan France (Fashion) will bring their expertise to Tokyo, working with Kiko Mizuhara as their guide in every episode and Naomi Watanabe as special guest comedian to make-better a group of heroes. Along the way, they’ll learn and experience Japanese cuisine, fashion, design, grooming and culture firsthand.

Holiday in the Wild
    To keep her spirits high when their son leaves for college, Manhattanite Kate Conrad (Kristin Davis) has booked a ‘second honeymoon’ with her husband. Instead of thanking her, he brings their relationship to a sudden end; jilted Kate proceeds to Africa for a solo safari. During a detour through Zambia, she helps her pilot, Derek Holliston (Rob Lowe), rescue an orphaned baby elephant. They nurse him back to health at a local elephant sanctuary, and Kate extends her stay through Christmas time. With new love on the horizon, will she return home or make her adventure last a lifetime?

American Son
    It’s 3am on a rainy night in South Florida, and mother Kendra Ellis-Connor (Kerry Washington) paces anxiously in a police station waiting room as she tries to piece together what may have happened to her missing son. Faced with a series of infuriating unanswered questions, she navigates a system of unconscious bias, interweaving perspectives, and a tense marital dynamic with her ex-husband (Steven Pasquale) as they try to uncover the truth about their son’s whereabouts. Based on the acclaimed Broadway play.

We Are the Wave
    A group of teens pursue dreams of a better future, led by a new student who recruits four outsiders for the fight. But soon it takes an unexpected turn.

Hache
    Adriana Ugarte, Javier Rey and Eduardo Noriega star in this thriller created by Verónica Fernández (Cuéntame, El Príncipe, Velvet Collection). It tells the story of Helena (Adriana Ugarte), a sex worker who starts as a simple pawn in the hands of Malpica (Javier Rey), the head of a gangster band that operates in Barcelona in the 1960s. But a steep and hazardous learning curve takes Helena from the lowest rung of the organisation to the top, seizing control of the heroin operation.

Reservoir Dogs
    Wedding Crashers
    Rudy
    First Sunday
    Bad boys (1995)
    Death Wish 4: The Crackdown
    Dead Man Down (2013)

Hello Ninja: Season 1
    BFFs Wesley and Georgie and their silly cat sidekick Pretzel transform into ninjas and enter a magic world, where they solve problems and save the day. When these little ninjas have a problem, they always land on their feet!

Enter the Dragon (hell yeah)

Ad Vitam season 1
    In a future where regeneration technology lets humans live indefinitely, a cop and a troubled young woman investigate a strange wave of youth suicides.

Atypical: Season 3
    Netflix’s coming-of-age comedy follows Sam (played by Keir Gilchrist), an 18-year-old on the autistic spectrum as he searches for love and independence. While Sam is on his funny and emotional journey of self-discovery, the rest of his family must grapple with change in their own lives as they all struggle with the central theme: what does it really mean to be normal? Sam and the Gardner family return as Sam prepares to begin college, and figure out what success means for him, on top of the existing pressures of growing up.

Santa Girl
    The Lincoln Lawyer
    A Remarkable Tale

The Man Without Gravity

Apache Warrior
    A gravity-defying boy raised in seclusion matures into an extraordinary man -- and an international celebrity -- who longs for human connection.

Fire in Paradise
    In this documentary, survivors recall the catastrophic 2018 Camp Fire, which razed the town of Paradise and became California's deadliest wildfire

Outlawed
    After a failed mission, an ex-Royal Marines Commando tries to overcome his demons while investigating the death of his ex-girlfriend's father.

Tucker: The Man and His Dream
    Christmas Break-In
    One for the Money
    Wedding Crashers
    The Man Without Gravity
    The Man Without Gravity(Italian)
    A gravity-defying boy raised in seclusion matures into an extraordinary man -- and an international celebrity -- who longs for human connection.
    Get Smart
    Drive (2019)
    My Little Pony: Best Gift Ever
    Christmas with a View
    Girls & Panzer: Season 1
    Iron-Blooded Orphans: Mobile Suit Gundam: Season 1
    Peter Rabbit: Season 1
    True GrabbleApple Harvest: Season 1
    Haikyu!!
    Transformers: Rescue Bots Academy: Season 1
    Cleo & Cuquin: Season 1

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great to see Atypical back, a sweet, funny & underrated show.

• Advertisement

notable removals today
    lord of the rings trilogy
    snowpiercer
    blackfish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    Nowhere Man season 1
    Two nefarious schemes taking place 10 years apart entangle a dauntless triad member, who must break out of prison to rescue a loved one.

Watched the first one; it's got a lotta heart, trying to inject realism into it. Variably paced, the fast pacing sections and the time jumping from past to present left me a little confused. I think I've got secondary lung inhalation from all the smoking that goes on as well (even the mother gives out about to the lead!).
    Looked at RT- no r/v. On IMDb, it gives it 7.2; I wouldn't go that far- yet. But the blurb there says "A strange encounter that causes a man awaiting execution to experience alternate timelines. That leads to his escape from prison to protect his family." Alternate timelines? Now I am confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Finished Unbelievable recently, would highly recommend it even though it felt a bit too politically correct and downright sanctimonious in parts.. the first episode is tedious but it gathers pace and is well cast and paced.

Also finished Top Boy Summerhouse (2 series) + Top Boy (1 series) and it's a gritty, gripping urban tale of inner city drug dealing and deprivation. Had to watch it with the subtitles on or wouldn't have a rashers what was going on. It's no joke ting, fam. Bare TV innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Just logged in to be told that sub is increasing to 16 euro a month from Dec 1st. Despite my previous post i have not used the service much over the course of past year to warrant 192 euro.
    Downgrading to standard option (HD / 2 screens at a time) for 12 euro instead of dumping it altogether as the weather's sh1te, the nights are long and we're coming into TV watching season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

garra wrote: »
    Just logged in to be told that sub is increasing to 16 euro a month from Dec 1st. Despite my previous post i have not used the service much over the course of past year to warrant 192 euro.
    Downgrading to standard option (HD / 2 screens at a time) for 12 euro instead of dumping it altogether as the weather's sh1te, the nights are long and we're coming into TV watching season.

I'm paying €6.49 per month through the turkisk Netflix. It's very easily set up and there is a thread in Bargain alerts explaining the procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Same. I think mine is around that for the 4k/4 screen option.

You Were Never Really Here
    An emotionally damaged veteran who makes a living by rescuing young women from sex traffickers is hired to save a politician's daughter

Vox Lux
    As a teenager, Celeste rockets to pop music stardom after a school shooting. Years later, preparing for a landmark concert pushes her to the edge

Spinning Man
    When a young woman is thought to be murdered, a married philosophy professor known for having affairs with students is pegged as the prime suspect.

Once Upon a Time... Life (1986)
    Buckle up for a head-to-toe adventure through the human body as this animated series explores the workings of our cells, hearts, brains and more

Added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »

Once Upon a Time... Life (1986)
    Buckle up for a head-to-toe adventure through the human body as this animated series explores the workings of our cells, hearts, brains and more

Added

Well there's a show that brings back some memories though I can't imagine it's aged very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

You were never really here is a good film. Starring Joaquin Phoenix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Unearthly wrote: »
    You were never really here is a good film. Starring Joaquin Phoenix

Was just scrolling down to write the same, I thought it was stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well there's a show that brings back some memories though I can't imagine it's aged very well.
    I was thinking the same thing about the memories, but I'm optimistic that it might displace ****ing paw patrol for a while at least. (Rescue bots academy is doing ok in this regard for anyone else whose child is demanding that stupid bloody show the whole time.)

Just saw 66 Days. When, at the start, Fintan O'Toole began pontificating about "Bobby Sands, the artist", I was like "Oh, Jesus". Anyway, he did make some very decent points and justified his "hunger strikes as art" thesis.

Anybody notice that in the real clip of one of the marches in 1981, a girl was behind a placard with one "Tom McFeeley" [yes, with a third 'e'] in it? Yes, yours truly

More hilariously, the scene of the nationalist kids firing petrol bombs at the British and when one of them goes to fire it, he sets fire to his own arse, fires it anyway and sets fire to the Brits for good measure but then right in the middle of this televised battle a half-naked guy comes running down the road out for his daily jog. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Just saw 66 Days. When, at the start, Fintan O'Toole began pontificating about "Bobby Sands, the artist", I was like "Oh, Jesus". Anyway, he did make some very decent points and justified his "hunger strikes as art" thesis.

Anybody notice that in the real clip of one of the marches in 1981, a girl was behind a placard with one "Tom McFeeley" [yes, with a third 'e'] in it? Yes, yours truly

More hilariously, the scene of the nationalist kids firing petrol bombs at the British and when one of them goes to fire it, he sets fire to his own arse, fires it anyway and sets fire to the Brits for good measure but then right in the middle of this televised battle a half-naked guy comes running down the road out for his daily jog. Brilliant.
    That idea sounds stupid and pretentious but Fintan O'Toole is neither so I'm curious to see what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Just watched The King. Overall a resounding Meh.

Robert Pattinson's French accent was very bad. The battle of Agincourt was done rather well, and was a relief to not have it as the central focus of the film. There is one hilarious moment involving Robert Pattinson, which I may have laughed at more than it deserved.

But overall a forgettable straight to Netflix film.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was just scrolling down to write the same, I thought it was stunning
    Just came to also say the same - excellent film and a beautiful soundtrack by Mr Greenwood to boot. Not sure why it wasn't recognised more during the various awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

Just watched The King. Overall a resounding Meh.

Robert Pattinson's French accent was very bad. The battle of Agincourt was done rather well, and was a relief to not have it as the central focus of the film. There is one hilarious moment involving Robert Pattinson, which I may have laughed at more than it deserved.

But overall a forgettable straight to Netflix film.

I watched it today and have to say I loved it.

Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
    People dedicated to rejecting the American ideal that things bring happiness are interviewed in this documentary showing the virtues of less is more

A Bad Moms Christmas
    Stressed-out moms Amy, Carla and Kiki are back, and the looming Christmas holiday gets even more daunting when their mothers show up for a visit

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CobraClan wrote: »
    I watched it today and have to say I loved it.

I thought it (The King) was brilliant too. Pattison has said he really hammed up the French accent on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lemlin wrote: »
    I thought it (The King) was brilliant too. Pattison has said he really hammed up the French accent on purpose.

Yep I loved the king, the fancy Shakespeare talking actually sounded deadly and worked perfectly for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Late to the party but Russian Doll was unreal. Loved it. Natasha Lyonne was so good in it. Delighted there is a second season.

I'm also half way through The Kominsky Method. Sometimes it's best to just watch a show blind. I probably wouldn't have watched it if I saw trailers or read about it. So easy watching. Where Season 1 was quite emotional, Season 2 has had me in stitches!

The Devil Next Door
    A Cleveland grandfather is brought to trial in Israel, accused of being the infamous Nazi death camp guard known as Ivan the Terrible.

Meet the Adebanjos (3 seasons)
    In South London, tradition clashes with culture as a Nigerian father tries to instill his old-fashioned African values into his modern British family.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Late to the party but Russian Doll was unreal. Loved it. Natasha Lyonne was so good in it. Delighted there is a second season.

I'm also half way through The Kominsky Method. Sometimes it's best to just watch a show blind. I probably wouldn't have watched it if I saw trailers or read about it. So easy watching. Where Season 1 was quite emotional, Season 2 has had me in stitches!

I loved Russian Doll too, found it fascinating and very original.

Kind of worried about where the second season will go though. It's kinda perfect where it is, would be great to see it just left alone maybe (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Dolomite is my name

Eddie Murphy is very good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was thinking the same thing about the memories, but I'm optimistic that it might displace ****ing paw patrol for a while at least. (Rescue bots academy is doing ok in this regard for anyone else whose child is demanding that stupid bloody show the whole time.)

Another "thank **** it's not Paw Patrol" show is Puffin Rock. Irish, from the people who made Song of the Sea and Secret of Kells. Its beautifully animated, very wholesome. Chris O'Dowd narrates, I'd highly recommend it. The only issue is that there aren't that many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

sheroman01 wrote: »

Yeah, two very good shows. I rarely, if ever, binge watch; I did with Russian Doll. Kominsky Method is both fluffy and poignant, with great acting. Michael Douglas' character as the slightly arrogant bumbling stoic is quite amusing.

Advertisement