Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There was a recap when we watched it. Quite a long one if I recall correctly.
    Weird. Nope still not for me. Just starts with the conversation between Mike and Jesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I assumed there would be a recap or something at the start of El Camino. There wasn't, and you need to remember what happens in the last season to know what's going on. BB [/spoiler]

there was a 5 minute recap that went through the whole lot of braking bad !
    You must have accidentally hit “skip recap”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thought You was great.

Kinda reminded me of a grown ups Gossip Girl with a dollop of Gone Girl thrown in.

Sounds good, but I can’t find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Laundromat
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_laundromat
    A widow (Meryl Streep) investigates an insurance fraud, chasing leads to a pair of Panama City law partners (Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas) exploiting the world’s financial system. Steven Soderbergh directs.

Living with Yourself season 1 (Paul Rudd, Aisling Bea)
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/living-with-yourself/season-1
    Miles Elliott, a man struggling in life, undergoes a novel spa treatment that promises to make him a better person, only to learn he’s been replaced – literally – by a better version of himself. Paul Rudd stars. With Paul Rudd.

Baby: Season 2
    At what point is their secret life no longer a game? Netflix’s controversial Italian seres returns for a second run.

MeatEater season 4
    Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table

The House of Flowers Season 2 (Spanish)
    In this dark comedy, a wealthy matriarch tries to maintain her family's facade of perfection after her husband's mistress exposes their dirty secret

Tell Me Who I Am
    In this documentary, Alex trusts his twin, Marcus, to tell him about his past after he loses his memory. But Marcus is hiding a dark family secret.

Wounds
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wounds_2019
    Armie Hammer, Dakota Johnson and Zazie Beetz star in the new horror from Under the Shadow director Babak Anvari. Fresh from the London Film Festival, it follows bartender Will, who discovers a cell phone after a violent brawl, then begins to receive ominous messages that cause his life to descend into a nightmare.

Toon seasons 1&2
    Reclusive, socially awkward jingle composer Toon must navigate the nightmarish world of show biz after a viral video skyrockets him to fame

A Vigilante
    A survivor of domestic violence transforms into a fierce fighter determined to make her husband pay and to protect other victims -- at any cost.

Chosen season 2
    When a mysterious box arrives at his door, a doctor and father is forced to participate in a twisted killing game, or risk losing everything

Eli
    With his desperate parents in tow, an 11-year-old boy with a debilitating illness checks into an isolated clinic to undergo experimental therapy

Seventeen
    To find his therapy dog, a 17-year-old escapes from juvie and embarks on a journey of reconnection with his brother and grandmother through Cantabria

Unnatural Selection
    From eradicating disease to selecting a child's traits, gene editing gives humans the chance to hack biology. Meet the real people behind the science

Mighty Little Bheem: Diwali: Collection 1
    Seventeen
    Tell Me Who I Am
    The House of Flowers: Season 2

added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I assumed there would be a recap or something at the start of El Camino. There wasn't, and you need to remember what happens in the last season to know what's going on. BB
    I was waiting to find out how Jesse escaped, but he actually escaped at the end of BB.

Try adding another viewer to your account and watch it through there. Otherwise check under "Trailers and More" if that option exists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Try adding another viewer to your account and watch it through there. Otherwise check under "Trailers and More" if that option exists.

If you open up the thumbnail, there is an option for Trailers & More, it's in there along with the trailer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Having previously enjoyed the adapttions of 1922 and Gerald's Game, I stuck on In The Tall Grass last night. It's...not very good, chiefly because the approach it takes to its premise is too simple to drag out for an hour and a half. It's the sort of thing that would make a decent 45 minute episode of an anthology horror series or something, but as a feature film it's a dud. Skip it and watch The Triangle instead, it's a much better version of the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Living With Yourself had so much promise - both Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea are excellent, but it's all a bit middling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Basq wrote: »
    Living With Yourself had so much promise - both Paul Rudd and Aisling Bea are excellent, but it's all a bit middling.

It’s too daft or something is wrong/missing.. I dunno I can’t properly articulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoyed Good Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

seligehgit wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Good Time.

I thought it was way overrated. Far too bleak and visceral. I just lost interest in it before the hour mark. Not much of a story to it.
    For me it was a bit like ‘le shine’, everyone says it’s brilliant but I just found it full and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lisha wrote: »
    It’s too daft or something is wrong/missing.. I dunno I can’t properly articulate it.

I've watched 2 episodes and it's grand. Not too many laugh out loud moments though

Netflix don't have a great track record producing their own comedy shows

‘La Haine’ I meant to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

deisedude wrote: »
    I've watched 2 episodes and it's grand. Not too many laugh out loud moments though

I don't know if I'd agree with that..

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, GLOW, After Life, Love, Master Of None, Russian Doll, Sex Education, Santa Clarita Diet,

That's just a few examples.. they've had a better track record with original comedies than most.

I think 'Living With Yourself' started to find it's feet towards the end but it wasn't a hugely enjoyable watch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, GLOW, After Life, Love, Master Of None, Russian Doll, Sex Education, Santa Clarita Diet,

That's just a few examples.. they've had a better track record with original comedies than most.

I think 'Living With Yourself' started to find it's feet towards the end but it wasn't a hugely enjoyable watch IMO.

I haven't seen all of the above and I'm not saying they haven't created any good comedies. In fact I think Master of None is exceptional.

I just think they have created so many brilliant drama and documentary series and I don't think their comedy output is on the same level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Of those comedies listed, only 1 was any good I found. Netflix strength doesn't lie in the comedies they produce... this may be due to aiming them more towards the USA audience as that is the bigger market.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Of those comedies listed, only 1 was any good I found. Netflix strength doesn't lie in the comedies they produce... this may be due to aiming them more towards the USA audience as that is the bigger market.
    Some of those are excellent but the good ones (and I'd add 'Atypical' to this) are more dramedies IMO than straight out comedies. So they're excellent, often funny, but perhaps not a straight-out comedy if that's what you're looking for. They haven't quite cracked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

deisedude wrote: »

I finished Living with yourself and I enjoyed it.... I figured out that it’s his car that was annoying me. Just thought it was a family type car and they didn’t have kids. Well worth watching imho

Daddys home 2
    Kong skull island
    Same kind of different as me
    Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kong Skull Island was underrated IMO; flawed for sure but a solid Creature Feature with the right amount of PG horror, and a dash of style about it.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Kong Skull Island was underrated IMO; flawed for sure but a solid Creature Feature with the right amount of PG horror, and a dash of style about it.

John C reilly stole the show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭tigger123

Not usually my kind of film, but heard really great things about Kong. Will definitely give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

peteeeed wrote: »
    Eli
    With his desperate parents in tow, an 11-year-old boy with a debilitating illness checks into an isolated clinic to undergo experimental therapy

Gave this a look last night, pretty good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not usually my kind of film, but heard really great things about Kong. Will definitely give it a whirl.

Now it's not a masterpiece, so if they're not your typical genre you may not enjoy it as much as others. I've a huge soft spot for giant monster movies and from that POV, Skull Island did a good job. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

pixelburp wrote: »

At least it didn't take half of the film before we got to see Kong, like it that Peter Jackson film... also it focused on the giant monster and not some random American soldier like that Godzilla film did.

For a genre that has a simple formula, Hollywood sure can make a mess of it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

.........they've had a better track record with original comedies.

Comedies? You're kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Trailer for Season 3 of The Crown:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anything similar to haunting of Hill House?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm watching American Horror Story season 6 - Roanoke(6 episodes in) and it's actually the most horror they've done since the first season.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm watching American Horror Story season 6 - Roanoke(6 episodes in) and it's actually the most horror they've done since the first season.

Roanoke is really excellent. I rank it 3rd best season after series 2 and 1. And there hasn’t been a good season since.

Advertisement