Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

That is bad news.. if the Commisioner isn't going to fight it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Yes he doesnt seem to be pushing recruitment at all there, id say he knows he wont get anything from government but he might be able to push ahead with promotions. Fair enough considering priority is the operational effectiveness of the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

I just had a look at the Garda entry website, they've changed there header where they taught recruitment may take place in the latter half of 2009 to
    " Due to the current economic situation it is not known when the next Garda Trainee Recruitment is expected to take place. If you ring 1890 812 337 and leave your details, you will be contacted when further information becomes available. While waiting for further news, future Garda Trainee applicants should now avail of our superior Home Study Aptitude Test Preparation course.( Click on 'Home Study' above for further details)".

I couldn't and cant afford to do a course, however it might be worth keeping an eye on the websites to see if any special offers come up, there uptake on courses will be so low we may be able to take advantage of this and get them cheaper now and in the next few months than we will when the next competition is announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

just wondering if you have everything completed and dont have a letter for may, and recruitment pops around in 2011 again.

Will you have to re do the med and pct again, was wondering that to myself earlier. Surley it must be the case of re doing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

TechnoPool wrote: »
    just wondering if you have everything completed and dont have a letter for may, and recruitment pops around in 2011 again.

Will you have to re do the med and pct again, was wondering that to myself earlier. Surley it must be the case of re doing them?

Yeah, Med and PCT only last for one year before they must be done again. Thats why I find it interesting that meds are still underway.
    May is completely full with people to spare, so does it mean an August intake for people !?!?

nah there wont be an august intake .

nah there wont be an august intake .

Mr glass half empty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

There was a bit on tv3 news there from the passing out ceremony. They said that the Garda college will remain open

Mr glass half empty ;)

hehe, well , tis true. :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr glass half empty ;)

Or Ms ;)

hehe, well , tis true. :pac:

No1 knows for certain yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

o so true murphy, and i think we all have learned the government are unpredictable, sitting tight at this stage is probably best, speculation leads to confusion.i dont think there is a chance of a recruitment drive, but people given a date for medical and pct shouldn't give up hope till they are officially told otherwise. from what i understand no new position will be advertised and filled as of last month, no one has sad that positions already decided on can not be filled. for all we know places are available for people in the system. would be great to see people in the system get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Here here.... Lets just all hang in there lads. Fingers crossed it'll all sort itself out sooner or later. :)

On a completely unrelated note, not sure if this has been asked in here before, but whats the garda policy on tattoos?? i've been thinking of getting one for years but decided to put it off till after i got in, but faced with the prospect of waiting two years now im reconsidering?? I presume obviously it cant be anywhere visible, or past the elbow, but are there any other restrictions?? or are they frowned upon completely??

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

madbadger wrote: »
    Here here.... Lets just all hang in there lads. Fingers crossed it'll all sort itself out sooner or later. :)

On a completely unrelated note, not sure if this has been asked in here before, but whats the garda policy on tattoos?? i've been thinking of getting one for years but decided to put it off till after i got in, but faced with the prospect of waiting two years now im reconsidering?? I presume obviously it cant be anywhere visible, or past the elbow, but are there any other restrictions?? or are they frowned upon completely??

Cheers. :)

No major worries re tattoos. i have had them for years. I got one a few years ago on the inside of my forearm too and nobody batted an eyelid except for the scrotes coming in to sign the book saying "hyere mister i thought youse gards couldn't have tattoos"

well i hope im wrong. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I was informed today that May will be the last intake in 2009 and their won't be further intakes or recruitment until 2012. I was handing a form into my local station and the S i/c was telling me this: an old colleague of his is a lecturer in Templemore and that's what they were told.

The college will remain open though for reserve training and for courses for members already in AGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

no recruitment till 2012:(

really down hearted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Headshot wrote: »
    no recruitment till 2012:(

really down hearted

My jaw dropped in there when I was informed! I didn't realise it was that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kerry4sam wrote: »
    My jaw dropped in there when I was informed! I didn't realise it was that bad!

only for ****ing Irish language i would at least had a chance to get in

Headshot wrote: »
    only for ****ing Irish language i would at least had a chance to get in

Ah I wouldn't worry yet.. Things can change in a second.

I heard that the Feb and May 09 intakes weren't going ahead back in Christmas. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

I know everything at the moment is speculation, but in the Irish times today there was an article about the passing out in Templemore yesterday, and at the end of it they say that they're going to reassess the recruitment situation next year! I know that we've to take everything with a pinch of salt, but you never know...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

As far as i can see absolutely nobody in the country knows absolutely anything as regards further recruitment so might as well think positively and hope we get some proper answers sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Hi guys :) i passed interview last sept still waiting on med and pct :rolleyes: its **** whats been happening lately, but hopefully things will change sooner rather than 2 yrs down the line...im pushing 28 at end of the yr would of been gr8 too be in templemore by now :mad: as for the comment by jake 59 regarding tattoos i hope they dont mind them cos ive got two....fingers crossed we'll all get in soon :D

rugby wrote: »
    Hi guys :) i passed interview last sept still waiting on med and pct :rolleyes: its **** whats been happening lately, but hopefully things will change sooner rather than 2 yrs down the line...im pushing 28 at end of the yr would of been gr8 too be in templemore by now :mad: as for the comment by jake 59 regarding tattoos i hope they dont mind them cos ive got two....fingers crossed we'll all get in soon :D

Well rugby, at least you have the interview done...you'll get in anyway, i'm sure! I heard (another rumour, I know!) that during this recruitment freeze that they're going to clear the backlog, and then fingers crossed, they'll start recruiting again! Does anyone know how big this backlog is? Are they starting to get through it at all? :rolleyes: Best of luck with everything anyway rugby!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Last intake until 2012 is May so how can they clear backlog? Id say whoever is on the list will have to sit tight like th rest of us!

Mun23 wrote: »
    Last intake until 2012 is May so how can they clear backlog? Id say whoever is on the list will have to sit tight like th rest of us!

Is that definate? I've read that on the forum but I hadn't heard it anywhere else...was that announced? Looks like we'll be waiting so....:rolleyes:

Oh ya thats for def was on the papers, just keepin college open for training and refreshment courses for members but May is last intake unfortunatly! It's terrible :( been waitin so long like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rugby

Reckon every one just needs too sit tight, its chopping and changing every day with whats happening up in templemore :( so fingers crossed for us all...enjoy bank hol wkend :D

Looks like we've got plenty of time on our hands so! Ok well on the bright side we can just stuff our faces with easter eggs now!! :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be doing Erasmus I think!!
    Have a good weekend anyway!!!!:D

Oh ya thats for def was on the papers, just keepin college open for training and refreshment courses for members but May is last intake unfortunatly! It's terrible :( been waitin so long like....

Take whatever the paper says with a pinch of salt...
    Whoever is already in the system will be looked after some how.

Who still haven't applied yet, well thats a different story.

• Advertisement

Well it was announced at the garda conference so I doubt u could take that with a pinch of salt!
    Last intake is set for May! Sure there is no recruitment for Public sector...

Well it was announced at the garda conference so I doubt u could take that with a pinch of salt!
    Last intake is set for May! Sure there is no recruitment for Public sector...

I'm heading in for May. But there is still hope for the lads/girls waiting in the system. This could all change in the morning (well not until Tuesday morning :rolleyes:))
    It said in the 'Paper' before Christmas that Feb and May were not going ahead over the cut backs.

I'm guessing you're not in the system or failed one of the stages Mun 23? Cos every1 in the system still has a glass half full and they are right to.

if last intake is may, not sure Why they are continuing with medicals and pct? Nobody knows, not the retired garda, the local Sargent, not the contact in templemore, not the papers and who ever else people say they get information from. the only thing that has been made clear is that may is going a head, and it is not a recruitnment freeze its a moritoruim, the minister can decide that places can be filled or created, and untill an offical press release say other wise, its all spectilation. very little hope for us out of the loop, at this very moment, but thoses in the loop still have a chance, i thnk we should he happy for them, not contstantly trying to rain on the prarde with this contistant negitave specitalation. sorry if iu seem to be ranting or what ever but iam just as frustrated and annoyed as the rest of yea.

Never said there was no hope! Ya sure things could all change, no harm in positive thinking I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 scoobydoo-gaa

I have the medical and pct done since the start of the year and haven't heard a thing since. I think im one of the lucky ones though.

Like I think every1 knows what has been said in the paper and at the conference especially the people in the system who have a career depending it. Especially with the way things are like in the country at the moment, sure there is no harm being a little optimistic that more intakes will occur this year.

It doesn't help when people have nothing to do with the process come on and try to dash every1's hopes who are still waiting. People know this already but try and put it to the back of their mind.

Not saying some1 can't be a realistic and state the facts but why constantly bring it up?! Sure being optimistic is doing no harm to any1.
    If you are sour about not being in the system or failed to get in, doesn't give you a right to wreck others hopes.

And that goes for people who are already in and just want to do it for the fun of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lucygoosy

Hey guys sorry havent been on in a while the whole budget and public servant talks were wrecking my head big time!!!!! How did ye get on down at the open day? My friend passed out on Wednesday she had a great day but apparantley Fachtna said that will be the last class to graduate till 2011 at least. Depressing or what? What is oe meant to do in the meantime? There are no jobs and I certainly cant afford to go to college! PSNI are recruiting or so I hear?

Like I think every1 knows what has been said in the paper and at the conference especially the people in the system who have a career depending it. Especially with the way things are like in the country at the moment, sure there is no harm being a little optimistic that more intakes will occur this year.

It doesn't help when people have nothing to do with the process come on and try to dash every1's hopes who are still waiting. People know this already but try and put it to the back of their mind.

Not saying some1 can't be a realistic and state the facts but why constantly bring it up?! Sure being optimistic is doing no harm to any1.
    If you are sour about not being in the system or failed to get in, doesn't give you a right to wreck others hopes.

And that goes for people who are already in and just want to do it for the fun of it...

well said murphy, well said:)

rugby wrote: »

Yo rugby I have 3 tattoos and I passed my medical for Garda Reserve. Its if they can be seen by the public that they will fail you as far as I know so just dont go getting anything tattooed on your face lol:pac:

• Advertisement

dkhill47 wrote: »
    well said murphy, well said:)

HEAR HEAR!!!!

lucygoosy wrote: »
    Hey guys sorry havent been on in a while the whole budget and public servant talks were wrecking my head big time!!!!! How did ye get on down at the open day? My friend passed out on Wednesday she had a great day but apparantley Fachtna said that will be the last class to graduate till 2011 at least. Depressing or what? What is oe meant to do in the meantime? There are no jobs and I certainly cant afford to go to college! PSNI are recruiting or so I hear?

hey lucygoosy, open day was great, really was, well worth the 3 hour drive there and back, indeed 2011 my be the next intake but the process will start b4 that, and from what i seen and heard in templemore it will be well worth it, as for the mean time, the reserves is a good idea, as for college, if you are inrecept if a social welfare payment, the back to education allounace is well worth a look, the elligbility critera is changing for the better, it was announced in the budget but no details were given, aslo volunteering is a good idea if thats your thing. unenployent is crap, i know, but aleat one positve thing is now people wont be joining up just becaus thay dont have a job? maybe we colud all come up with positives that will come out of the lact of recruitment?:p iam trying the positive thing people, work with me :cool:

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hey lucygoosy, open day was great, really was, well worth the 3 hour drive there and back, indeed 2011 my be the next intake but the process will start b4 that, and from what i seen and heard in templemore it will be well worth it, as for the mean time, the reserves is a good idea, as for college, if you are inrecept if a social welfare payment, the back to education allounace is well worth a look, the elligbility critera is changing for the better, it was announced in the budget but no details were given, aslo volunteering is a good idea if thats your thing. unenployent is crap, i know, but aleat one positve thing is now people wont be joining up just becaus thay dont have a job? maybe we colud all come up with positives that will come out of the lact of recruitment?:p iam trying the positive thing people, work with me :cool:

So am I am doing whatever I can to better myself for AGS so that when they do recruit ill be well able to get it!!! Have my exams for phase two reserves next week ahhhh I should be studyin!!

What did u think of the college it is nice isnt it? Im back down there myself in two weeks cant wait!

li@mo wrote: »
    There was a bit on tv3 news there from the passing out ceremony. They said that the Garda college will remain open

They have to keep it open because Full time members do be sent on courses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

apparantley Fachtna said that will be the last class to graduate till 2011 at least.

you heard wrong from her. There will be phases passing out well into the end of 2010. Our phase (KC)will be the last big phase passing out (270 people), whenever that is I don't have a clue, July 2010 or something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

So am I am doing whatever I can to better myself for AGS so that when they do recruit ill be well able to get it!!! Have my exams for phase two reserves next week ahhhh I should be studyin!!

What did u think of the college it is nice isnt it? Im back down there myself in two weeks cant wait!

Hey lucygoosy, I'm the same as yourself and loads of others sitting tight for the next recruitment campaign:(Im half thinking of signing up to the reserves while I'm waiting.....still unsure though?!Would u recommened it for people waiting??I suppose the experience would be good:):)You doing anything else in preparation??:)Im doing a bit of volunteer work and an evening course, keeping busy!!
    We have a long wait ahead of us:confused:

• Advertisement

Hey Greydiamond,

Just referring to ur comment that the reserves are just wannabes.. I'm in the Reserves for the last 6 months and the reason i joined is because i'm still in college and thought the experiences will be good when i do apply for the full time gardai.. Plus to find out is that what i want to do with the rest of my life or just continue with my degree..
    And believe me, when ur on night shifts doing 10pm to 6am and dealing with all that sh*t, who cares if u are full time or part time, the fact is the gardai are seriously lacking man power and every bit helps.

Hope this doesnt come across like i'm arguing with you, just giving you my view.

Im in the Reserves too. I wouldnt call it a wannabe job. The way I see it is I wasnt lucky enough to get full time when I went for them previously and if being in the Reserve will give me good experience in dealing with the public correctly and learning more about AGS then why wouldnt you do it.
    If I was a Super on a panel and I hear "Ive always wanted to be a Garda" well why didnt you join the Reserves if you had so much interest in them is exactly what i would say back. I dont think its fair that Reserves get slated. Im not doing it for the good of my heakth. Im doing it because I have a genuine intereset in AGS and ill do anything to improve my chances of being selected,. It may also be of an advantage to me if I do get in and start my training as I would have had some experiences with AGS. So you may be laughing at us but fire ahead cos at the end of the day we are trying our best and I think if you want something so bad youll try anything to succeeed and I feel like Im getting there slowly but surely.

Nuff Said.

pvt.joker wrote: »
    you heard wrong from her. There will be phases passing out well into the end of 2010. Our phase (KC)will be the last big phase passing out (270 people), whenever that is I don't have a clue, July 2010 or something :rolleyes:

Well fair play to ya your nearly there!!!:)

spudz21 wrote: »
    Hey lucygoosy, I'm the same as yourself and loads of others sitting tight for the next recruitment campaign:(Im half thinking of signing up to the reserves while I'm waiting.....still unsure though?!Would u recommened it for people waiting??I suppose the experience would be good:):)You doing anything else in preparation??:)Im doing a bit of volunteer work and an evening course, keeping busy!!
    We have a long wait ahead of us:confused:

Ya sure ya might as well apply what have you to lose its good experience and you learn a lot from full time members. Im on phase 2 at moment going down end of April for phase3 and cant wait. It is inyense enough but its so worth it!!! Not much else we can do at the moment as tehre is such a long wait!!!

pvt.joker wrote: »

Also hate Mr Drogba

For making it 3-1 against Liverpool wed nite:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 scoobydoo-gaa

Im at a loose end as well as the rest of ye. i didnt grt in till i had applied twice. its a year and a half since i started applying. im not trying to rub anyones noses in it. i wish ye all the best of luck. work is that bad at home im out in italy working at the moment and would just love to move home again

• Advertisement
Advertisement