Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Just registerd to boards yesterday and have already found this site very helpful! Thank you to all for responding! :)

I know its difficult to measure how you're application is going but does anyone have a rough estimate of how many people were in each batch of the May competition. I know not all of those people would have gotten through Stage 2 but just to put a rough figure on it, to put things into context.

Also, once the backround checks, the PCT and the medical are done and passed is your application accepted on a 'first come, first serve' basis or is it that the more successful applicant takes priority! Sorry if thats a silly Q, answer appreciated! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

hi ya what did u type in google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mini--c

can anyone tell me if the courses are any good to help get in and if so cud anyone pm me one's they found best?

johnc22 wrote: »
    hi ya what did u type in google
    d say quote persons post may help alot

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

no was it the british police u typed in

• Advertisement

johnc22 wrote: »
    no was it the british police u typed in
    no think it was careers in uk police u thinkin bout it aswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Alias B

Johnc22!

Were u talking to me???

I was looking bout info regarding the standard medical procedure in the guards and this thing popped up....sin é!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

tabatha wrote: »
    well it looks like the announcement is made, there will be cutbacks :-(

Hey tabatha. What exactly was the announcement? I heard there was one alright. Didn't get all the details though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

open day on in the college 8 of october..check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky1977

Hi there everyone Im brand new to this and so far i have learnt more browsing this site in the last 30 mins then i have enquiring from sources as to when the next recruitment cycle will be? Im a serving member of the Garda Reserve for the last two years and have had two unsuccessful attempts at getting in as a full timer. Has anybody got a reasonable idea as to when the next competition will be out as it seems everything is up in the air with the upcoming Budget on the way? I have gone down twice in the past on the Verbal Evaluation end of things at the interview stage just wondering if anybody has any recommendations as to how to correct this? I have done a course and I really dont rate the Kilroys College course Ive seen it and its patchy at best regarding Verbal Evaluation.
    I have done really well regarding the verbal interview and the Job writing exercise its just the VE part im falling down on. I misssed the May competition but I have been told that the Aptitude Tests have become a little tougher than previously is there any truth in this? Would be great if someone can reply to this cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

sparky1977 wrote: »
    Hi there everyone Im brand new to this and so far i have learnt more browsing this site in the last 30 mins then i have enquiring from sources as to when the next recruitment cycle will be? Im a serving member of the Garda Reserve for the last two years and have had two unsuccessful attempts at getting in as a full timer. Has anybody got a reasonable idea as to when the next competition will be out as it seems everything is up in the air with the upcoming Budget on the way? I have gone down twice in the past on the Verbal Evaluation end of things at the interview stage just wondering if anybody has any recommendations as to how to correct this? I have done a course and I really dont rate the Kilroys College course Ive seen it and its patchy at best regarding Verbal Evaluation.
    I have done really well regarding the verbal interview and the Job writing exercise its just the VE part im falling down on. I misssed the May competition but I have been told that the Aptitude Tests have become a little tougher than previously is there any truth in this? Would be great if someone can reply to this cheers

hey sparky1977,

i dont think that Tests have become a little tougher than previously, but i could be wrong. the questions in the VA are very similar to one the home study courses. Pm me and ill tell you witch one. all you can do is practice, practice, practice, that home study corse that has alot of examples some harder then the actual exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ajcardall

Hey everyone - new member here, so first of all, hello!

Now, is anyone else attending the open day at the training college in October? I emailed the college regarding the open day but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow from work and getting the details.

The boards are very useful and have given me a lot of pointers!

Look forward to getting to know you all in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mac51

Hello every body on this thread, i am just 28 and have gone back to do my leaving cert as i left school in 5th year....i have always wanted to join but didnt for one reason or the other... i am intrested to know am i to old to join now on acount of only doing my LC now. any help would be great.

thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

No way are you too old. You can join up to age 35 and many people do. If you look back at previous posts you'll see many from people your age or older. If its what you want go for it. Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

mac51 wrote: »
    Hello every body on this thread, i am just 28 and have gone back to do my leaving cert as i left school in 5th year....i have always wanted to join but didnt for one reason or the other... i am intrested to know am i to old to join now on acount of only doing my LC now. any help would be great.

thank you.

Best of luck with your studies. I'm in a similar position, but I was educated in Britain and am (was) missing some of the required subject. I sat my Maths LC (and passed!) this year, and I'm studying Spanish which I will sit next year. Once I have those two subjects under my belt, I will have the required educational standard.

Just remember - you have to have Maths and at least TWO languages (one of which must be English or Irish).

Let me know how you get on - are you doing your entire LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sparky1977

Anybody happen to know when the next recruitment drive is? Heard today its possibly November any one able to confirm this rumour? Thanks

Thanks to every one who replied..i have found out a lot on this thread its very helpful in regards to the difrent stages of recruitment well done to all for doing so. Yes i am doing the full L CERT 7 subjects... i fell 17 again.. i have been self employed since 1999 and am eventualy going to do what i have allways realy wanted to do. i have 2 kids settled in school so now is the time i feel plenty of life experence not looking forward to the €200 per week in college but i will have to live with that...thanks again..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 razor89

just realised i wont b able to make it down to the open day:mad:wud appreciate if those of you who do get the chance to head down post any info they may find relevant!!! i spose that may go without saying?? many thanks in advance guys!!!

Hi Razor i will be heading down on wednesday.... just to let you know i will post as much info as possible...

cheers mate, really appreciate that, have fun:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 GoingBk2School

So anything of note from the open day in Templemore?

hey, i just heard from a mate of mine down in templemore that the intake has been regulated to 100 per quarter!! which isnt actualy that bad considering the speculation about a complete hault on intake 4 2 years. the lad who told me heard the news from a super during his placement so to be honest id be fairly inclined to believe him but take it as you will.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I just got the same information from a senior Garda. 100 per intake, he also mentioned that the November intake batch has not yet been filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redlane

This probably makes sense - 400 per year would more or less make up for resignations and natural wastage through retirement (very simplistically - at 15,000 Gardai, spread evenly over all ages, 367 recruits would be needed to cover natural wastage). That probably means chances of getting in go from about 1,000 in 10,000 to something more like 400 in 15,000 (considering the attractiveness of a secure drop and increased unemployment).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

jos28 wrote: »
    I just got the same information from a senior Garda. 100 per intake, he also mentioned that the November intake batch has not yet been filled.

there will always be some lucky enough people to get the call a week or so before each intake, lets hope i am one of them this time.....

the open day was a great eye opener, just to see the college and speak to people that have been thru the process. the ficalaties are top class it seems if you get thru the recruitment process you are on the pigs back... it costs aprox € 50 k to train a recruit so basicly they dont let u fail unless you act the sack ofcourse u should try get up there for the next open day......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

there will always be some lucky enough people to get the call a week or so before each intake, lets hope i am one of them this time.....
    Fingers crossed for you. My source was in Templemore last Sunday when he was told. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 google08

Yeh im hearing that it is a 100 per quarter but how many ppl are waiting to see if there in that 100 ? They filter ppl out through app test and interview and then it be interesting to see the figure they have left over after that and how they decide out of that number who goes in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ansmcwilla

hi, does anyone know if there is going to be a competition in November 2008?? Ive heard talk of it but no official word on it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

successful wrote: »
    Dear friends I’ve got the perfect preparation package for Garda Trainee , I passed the aptitude test ( stage 1 ) and the interview ( stage 2 ) with this package.

This package includes : 6 perfect books and the answer sheet from start until Garda college in templemore . The package supplied from one of the best college in Ireland with many years experience for the Garda trainee course.

I bought this package for 275 Euros and I can supply it to you for 125 Euros in the perfect condition. I also did answered many question in the separate note book and made it much easer for the interested person.

If you really want to be a successful candidate for Garda trainee get this package soon.

Any 1 interested please E-mail me : madridfly@yahoo.com

If you wanna be a Garda you need good motivation, this package helping you to be a successful one.

muppet. spam elsewhere please. Most obvious attempt at self-advertising ive ever seen

Advertisement