Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

As mentioned before, the DUP,

The don't want to be the other side of UK laws, and we are the UK and their laws are our, and we abide by UK laws no one elses, ya bleedin hypocrites, there's gay marriage and abortion in UK, but they choose to not want them laws and more than likely a few others, get over your out dated self importance march the Queens highway bigotry (Rant over)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

41 year old man children, 5 years olds have more cop on.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Not trivial I admit but I want to rant and don't know where else to do it currently. I was off work this week for my first week off all year, I badly needed a rest and to relax but it ended up being very stressful and frustrating.

My mother is dying, she has 2 years left maximum. It was caused mainly by being a heavy smoker for over 50 years plus some other stuff too. She was in the hospital today barely able to breathe yet kept going out for smokes, when I was bringing her home I walked her to the exit of the hospital and told her to wait there while I brought the car around and when I returned she was lighting a cigarette off a just finished cigarette. She got sick 3 times in my car on the way home and can barely walk from the kitchen to the sitting room without being out of breath and having a coughing fit that last minutes sometimes. It drives us all mad that she still smokes but she just won't stop or even cut down a bit.

This week my Aunt just got diagnosed with terminal cancer that has spread all over her body, how long she has we don't know but it's spread too far to be stopped now. Again a heavy smoker most of her life.

Then there have been further complications with the apartment I recently bought and it looks like I will be couch surfing in friends homes while putting most of my belongings in storage soon as I have to leave my apartment at the end of this month and I still can't move into my apartment.

This week has been a load of bollox.

That is beyond rough, sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not trivial I admit but I want to rant and don't know where else to do it currently. I was off work this week for my first week off all year, I badly needed a rest and to relax but it ended up being very stressful and frustrating.

My mother is dying, she has 2 years left maximum. It was caused mainly by being a heavy smoker for over 50 years plus some other stuff too. She was in the hospital today barely able to breathe yet kept going out for smokes, when I was bringing her home I walked her to the exit of the hospital and told her to wait there while I brought the car around and when I returned she was lighting a cigarette off a just finished cigarette. She got sick 3 times in my car on the way home and can barely walk from the kitchen to the sitting room without being out of breath and having a coughing fit that last minutes sometimes. It drives us all mad that she still smokes but she just won't stop or even cut down a bit.

This week my Aunt just got diagnosed with terminal cancer that has spread all over her body, how long she has we don't know but it's spread too far to be stopped now. Again a heavy smoker most of her life.

Then there have been further complications with the apartment I recently bought and it looks like I will be couch surfing in friends homes while putting most of my belongings in storage soon as I have to leave my apartment at the end of this month and I still can't move into my apartment.

This week has been a load of bollox.

Ah im very sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

There should be a special place in hell for plagiarisers. They’re a bunch of lazy thieving b@stards.

I needed air in my tyres today, car pulling to the left on my way from Dublin to Newry , pulled in to 2 service stations , both needed coins to operate the air dispenser. Later pulled in to Sainsburys in Newry to do some shopping. Trolleys needed ..... you guessed it...... COINS !

In these days of contactless the chances of us having loose change hanging around is getting slimmer. V annoying.

Retailers and service stations please take note !!,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm sorry that you're going through this. I remember having the very same experience with my mother when she was dying (also from a smoking-related illness). It was beyond infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Thanks for the kind words folks and thank you to the people who sent me nice PM's (that nearly reads like they sent me PMS but they didn't, that would be a horrible thing to do!). I probably dragged the thread off topic since people probably didn't want to post trivial annoyances after my post but they should so I'll try to drag it back now.

TA at those who didn't send me PM's, you're all dead to me now..... :P:D

Ok my real TA is hearing my upstairs neighbours shagging, no matter what room in the apartment I go to the sound of a creaking bed and other associated noises follow me like a ghost. Fair play to them and all but could they maybe be a bit less enthusiastic for those of us not shagging anybody, the cheeky gits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

chite wrote: »
    Came across a seller that was charging more for a item than what they paid for themselves originally (I found this via another adverts ad where they copied the photos and receipt from the original seller they bought from). Now unless they made some significant repairs, mods, etc. to it than that's one thing but I doubt it. I had made a perfect comeback reply to the insults they hurled at me only to find out that they had blocked me so I couldn't post it, ah well.

Being half blinded by the headlights of oncoming traffic.

People who push their own agenda that jeopardizes the work of a valuable organisation e.g. a charity, or someone's reputation, for their own selfish reasons.

Food waste - especially when people pay €€s for a meal only to eat a quarter of it. Now if you feeling ill or you had an emergency that's one thing, but it's a regular occurrence in food places. Such a pity the lack of value of food being instilled in people.

Some very trivial annoyances really when you see other people's bigger problems like Guy Person's comment.

Don't get the bolded bit? Surely that's the basis of capitalism, buying lower than you sell it for, to make a profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When you ask someone a question on WhatsApp with a very simple yes or no answer. No one will be upset at either answer. You can see that they have read the message... But did they reply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Went to buy a cough bottle yesterday, the hot dry air in the chemist's made my wheese worse, as Im wheezing I ask for a wet cough bottle.
    Lady behind the counter asks what kind of cough I was trying to cure!

From experience I know to hit the wheeze and crackles hard, so Im taking the 15ml'sx3 recommended, the measuring spoon is in 2.7ml's.:(:(:(

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That I didn't set the alert for an event today properly.
    Alert went off at 2 event finished at 3 and it's a 30 minute drive !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Someone in River Island wrote this blurb to sell a pair of jeans:
    Blair Straight High Rise Jean

Looking to move on from skinny jeans? These jeans are perfect to wear with a bodysuit and heels for late-night cocktails, or swap to trainers and a t-shirt for a morning brunch with the girls.
    <vomit> They're living in some kind of Pippa O'Connor dreamworld.

I, as a real human being, would be more inclined to buy jeans if they had honest descriptions, like: "High waisted so your spare tyre won't flop over the waistband. Not so skinny as to cut off all circulation from your lower limbs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Getting my hopes up.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Washing machine beeping when it's finished. 3 beeps is plenty. No need to go on for 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Washing machine beeping when it's finished. 3 beeps is plenty. No need to go on for 2 minutes.

Was over at a friend's and chatting to his dad.
    I don't know if the man is half deaf, but the dishwasher beeped throughout the conversation and I couldnt focus on anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

When you ask someone a question on WhatsApp with a very simple yes or no answer. No one will be upset at either answer. You can see that they have read the message... But did they reply...

that's when you think there's only 2 options to a question "Yes or No".
    someone else thinks outside the box.....and doesn't reply, the third option.
    (which is bloody annoying)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TA I feel a head cold starting to take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Don't get the bolded bit? Surely that's the basis of capitalism, buying lower than you sell it for, to make a profit?

My view on it is that if you are selling something on as second-hand or third, you charge less than what you would have paid for originally (wear and tear, etc.) - unless you had it for a short amount of time and getting little/no use out of it to not warrant a significant drop in price. Otherwise people wouldn't be going to charity shops etc.

It wasn't so much the cost that bothered me, but the disingenuous description in the ad saying he got it as a gift, that it originally cost €600 and that he was being generous selling it at €265. With a photo of a receipt. The photos used were the exact same ones from the person who sold it to him for €200, same receipt in the 2nd ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

chite wrote: »
    My view on it is that if you are selling something on as second-hand or third, you charge less than what you would have paid for originally (wear and tear, etc.) - unless you had it for a short amount of time and getting little/no use out of it to not warrant a significant drop in price. Otherwise people wouldn't be going to charity shops etc.

It wasn't so much the cost that bothered me, but the disingenuous description in the ad saying he got it as a gift, that it originally cost €600 and that he was being generous selling it at €265. With a photo of a receipt. The photos used were the exact same ones from the person who sold it to him for €200, same receipt in the 2nd ad.
    That isn't so much being capitalism, but just being downright shady.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That isn't so much being capitalism, but just being downright shady.

Are antique dealers shady?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are antique dealers shady?

Some are yes,others not so much,It comes down to the old saying buyers beware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Some are yes,others not so much,It comes down to the old saying buyers beware.

Missed point completely but hey whatever. If you don't like the price don't buy it, simples. What it cost the seller is completely irrelevant. I used to buy boxes of DVDs and sell them at car boot sales. I wouldn't have done it for zero financial reward (not much financial reward as it turned out).

Missed point completely but hey whatever. If you don't like the price don't buy it, simples. What it cost the seller is completely irrelevant. I used to buy boxes of DVDs and sell them at car boot sales. I wouldn't have done it for zero financial reward (not much financial reward as it turned out).

I'm not saying everyone who resells is shady.I was merely hinting that there are some who take complete advantage of the consumer. I know resellers need to make a profit on their investments but some do take it too far.I genuinely meant no disrespect to honest entrepreneurs.

Reselling dvds isn't what I would consider an antique dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

People calling earphones ‘headphones’ and headphones ‘earphones.’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Bastarding fireworks and the pricks setting them off!!

Driving my poor dogs nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Bastarding fireworks and the pricks setting them off!!

Driving my poor dogs nuts.

Going on since 2pm here, in ******g daylight! Thankfully our fur baby isn't bothered, but hearing the neighbours backyard dogs cries is heartbreaking. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grown adults that still don't realise that a cold (even a bad one) is not the flu.

It's not just people referring to their cold as the flu, it's that many of these people actually don't understand that they are very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Grown adults that still don't realise that a cold (even a bad one) is not the flu.

It's not just people referring to their cold as the flu, it's that many of these people actually don't understand that they are very different things.

Or people who think you get a cold from being cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I am watching a terrible Christmas movie on Channel 5. It’s too early for this shizzle. And yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

bitofabind wrote: »
    I am watching a terrible Christmas movie on Channel 5. It’s too early for this shizzle. And yet here we are.

The C word should not be mentioned until the 21st of December. AT LEAST!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There's a thread on another forum, but each time it's on the front page I keep reading it as STDs.

I've no real interest of reading either variant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Strictly Come Dancing’s SUNDAY Results Show acting like it is live and not filmed on SATURDAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

When you ring someone twice and they dont get back to you.. It's only a work colleague, I guess I should take the hint..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

The women who I saw taking half smoked cigarettes out of a public bin ashtray for their own use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The women who I saw taking half smoked cigarettes out of a public bin ashtray for their own use...

'women' is too fancy a term for such people.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

'women' is too fancy a term for such people.

Fair point. I was being generous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

TA that I happened upon the LM (I can’t even write his name!) After Hours thread and now I have to go out and shut in Dippy & Dappy Duck.

TA by Jeremy Clarkson. I used to love Who Wants to be a Millionaire but that insufferable man has ruined it.

People that drone on about their 10,000 steps in a day. Ooh its hometime and I have only done 4,647 steps. Ooh I might go for a walk.

Down a short friggin pier hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Pawwed Rig, I agree. A woman I know is always on Facebook, oh, look at me, I've done another 5k, 10k, or whatever. Oh I need sponsorship for my next race. Meanwhile I'm beside the fire stuffing my face with chocolate, and happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Drivers turning into a minor road and cutting across the corner of the stop line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Really wanting a day where I can just relax with no college, college work or actual work. Very TA’d with the prospect that it will probably be six weeks until the end of the semester until I can actually have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Insomnia is a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Working the night shift and the heating is only set for the day people...
    Up Donegal wrote: »
    Drivers turning into a minor road and cutting across the corner of the stop line.

I wouldn't call that trivial, more dangerous. Few times the nose of my car was nearly taken off, and they stare at you as if you're in the wrong for having the cheek to pull up to the line!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

People that drone on about their 10,000 steps in a day. Ooh its hometime and I have only done 4,647 steps. Ooh I might go for a walk.

Down a short friggin pier hopefully

FYI - I hit 18,989 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Sitting in a room full of plastic backed seats, jackass in front of me keeps leaning backwards in his chair and restricting my ability to take notes.
    I asked him politely and discreetly if he would stop doing that as it means I cant use my keyboard. He looked at me like I asked him to give me the contents of his bank account and his first born.

Cant change seat as they are all allocated for operational reasons.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Lazy clichés like "worked tirelessly" and describing something as "unrivalled" or a location as "much sought after". Estate agents that are "proud" to bring a seen one seen them all home to the market. I'd love an honest one that said "this home is thoroughly average but we are being paid a fee to promote it". :D

That young people rely on apps and social media to determine how their life should go.I'm just too old fashioned for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

TA with Booking.com. My mate booked a room in London for three of us on Saturday through Booking.com a few month ago. We arrive in London on Friday night for rehearsal at another friends house, my mate receives a text from Booking.com that the room booked has been repossessed by the bailiffs and no replacement room. So wandering the London streets for 4 to 5 hours after playing a wedding gig at the Trinity Bouy Wharf area and travelling through Canning Town and Stratford, fairly seedy London area till we got our Stansted connection for the flight back to Dublin.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wedding madness.

One of my husband’s friends is getting married in the US next summer. He’s not being extravagant there, his bride-to-be is American.

The groomsmen have just announced that the stag will be in a European city. I have no idea if the groom is on board with that but between the two, it’s such a huge chunk of money and holidays. I’d be mortified if I was him! I already know I’m not attending the wedding and hubs thinks the stag is the only thing he’ll do. One of the groomsmen is wealthy and a bit oblivious and all the groomsmen are like “Sure, the two trips can be your holidays next year!”. There’s a lot of behind the scenes grumbling. Between the two, you’re talking thousands and thousands of euro. I don’t think you’d even have to cash-strapped to do a sharp intake of breath at the thought of it.

I long for the pared-back weddings of old. It’s all so OTT.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement