Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options
  • 10-01-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Is there a thread on this yet

RTE1 Tuesday and Wednesday 8:30pm

Did anyone watch this last night?
    I see the supermarkets already are advertising the shopping lists to go with the food plans.

We have met the first three leaders and two more tonight. No one totally huge yet.

I'm a bit annoyed that the default weight they give is in stones and pounds rather than kilos. Also I would like to see a BMI as they tell us the weight and the planned loss but we don't actually see how overweight someone actually is.
    Hoping to follow it this year and find a leader similar to me. Brave people putting themselves forward like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You do know it's just for ratings with all the sob stories which seem to be more important to the producers than losing weight. The over priced meals are just another gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have watched this on and off and I generally have time for Kathryn Thomas but tonight was the last night of the series - I never heard any presenter to screech asmuch as Kathryn did tonight! Must be the hormones!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,194 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

After a topsy-turvy 12 months which saw the host, like everyone else, adapt to working from home while juggling parenting duties and dodging the biscuit press, now Kathryn is back in familiar territory with the return of Operation Transformation to RTÉ One next Wednesday, January 6, albeit with a few Covid-proof tweaks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandwellbeing/arid-40196088.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

There doesn't seem to be a thread for 2021 yet.

There was a lot of crying on the new show. I had it recorded. They seem like a good bunch of leaders.

Anyone going to give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Gotta have the normal ones , a gay and a black these days...just sayin...:P

Don't fancy I'll watch this year...very uninteresting people.....:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I do like that they have someone on this year who doesn't have much weight to lose. It's often the case that the less weight you have to lose the harder it is to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

happyday wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a thread for 2021 yet.

There was a lot of crying on the new show. I had it recorded. They seem like a good bunch of leaders.

Anyone going to give it a go?

I'm going to watch it but I won't be exercising or dieting :)

I can't remember the names but I'd say the clondalkin lad will be leading alot of people , trying to shift that stubborn stone.

No one is overly big like in other series.

The Nigerian lady will be interesting as I think they are genetically predisposed to weight gain.

Anyway I wish them luck, they all seemed lovely and to actually want to lose the weight.

There's often chat in social media about body positivity and "fat shaming", especially when it comes to anything weight related, fitness and Operation Transformation.
    I think Susuana seems like a lovely confident bubbly person, she loves her looks. But her weight and lack of fitness is causing her health problems and that is not good. That's the issue I have with the so called "bo-po" (body positivity) movement - it refuses to acknowledge that being overweight can and does cause health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I'm going to watch it but I won't be exercising or dieting :)

I can't remember the names but I'd say the clondalkin lad will be leading alot of people , trying to shift that stubborn stone.

No one is overly big like in other series.

The Nigerian lady will be interesting as I think they are genetically predisposed to weight gain.

Anyway I wish them luck, they all seemed lovely and to actually want to lose the weight.

Ah here, theres 2 women a few pounds either side of 20 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sam Hain wrote: »

Might give it a go. The diets and exercise are just common sense dressed up as expert advice, but I'm interested to see how people get on.
    I thought Karl was a real dick to lad in the first show basically saying he was too much of a joker.
    The guy was probably nervous as hell and doing his best.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »

True what I meant was more there's no one 25+ stone like in other series.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    There's often chat in social media about body positivity and "fat shaming", especially when it comes to anything weight related, fitness and Operation Transformation.
    I think Susuana seems like a lovely confident bubbly person, she loves her looks. But her weight and lack of fitness is causing her health problems and that is not good. That's the issue I have with the so called "bo-po" (body positivity) movement - it refuses to acknowledge that being overweight can and does cause health issues.

The "problem" with her is she comes from a culture that celebrates large ladies , so for her she's kinda going against her upbringing.

She acknowledged herself that the weight was causing issues.

But I agree with what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Good luck to all the contestants.. will try to follow it

On a side note, I'd love to see "fitness expert" Karl Henry put through his paces.. cant imagine him doing a very competitive 5k time.

On a side note, I'd love to see "fitness expert" Karl Henry put through his paces.. cant imagine him doing a very competitive 5k time.
    AFAIK he cycles on gozwift and runs up to marathon distance. But I think he's more recreational rather than competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    AFAIK he cycles on gozwift and runs up to marathon distance. But I think he's more recreational rather than competitive.

He's actually fat. I don't know how he's got this gig when there's no shortage of other fitness experts out there who actually practice what they preach.
    He gets a lot of corporate gigs as well. It's so lazy by those that hire him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jackboy

joe40 wrote: »
    I thought Karl was a real dick to lad in the first show basically saying he was too much of a joker.
    The guy was probably nervous as hell and doing his best.

That was a bit strange alright. I suppose they are expected to be emotional wrecks for the camera during the first weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He seems to have very chubby legs. Doubt he can run far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have it recorded, didn't get around to watching just yet. I will fast forward Karl Henry every time he appears. It made the show more enjoyable for me, last time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

I wish Karl would put on a pair of tracksuit bottoms once in a while. I think he's dreadful for this show. He doesn't look in any kind of shape that people should be taking advice from him.

I have it recorded, didn't get around to watching just yet. I will fast forward Karl Henry every time he appears. It made the show more enjoyable for me, last time around.

I tend to do that for most of them waffling. Half the time it's just a time filling exercise to stretch the show out.

I'm only interested in the contestant themselves and how they are getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I tend to do that for most of them waffling. Half the time it's just a time filling exercise to stretch the show out.

I'm only interested in the contestant themselves and how they are getting on.

Yes. That's true.

I find fast forwarding Aoife as well very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He's actually fat. I don't know how he's got this gig when there's no shortage of other fitness experts out there who actually practice what they preach.
    He gets a lot of corporate gigs as well. It's so lazy by those that hire him

His old man was the Eddie Murphy role in the first few series, and if people think Eddie is a spoofer... he was the king of spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

He's there for his expertise, not his speed in a foot race :rolleyes::pac:

mloc123 wrote: »
    His old man was the Eddie Murphy role in the first few series, and if people think Eddie is a spoofer... he was the king of spoofers.

I like Eddie, and Dr Sumi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

timeToLive wrote: »
    He's there for his expertise, not his speed in a foot race :rolleyes::pac:

For people that are totally inactive like the contestants an 8 week walking regime would probably be best until a bit of fitness his built.
    I'm far from an expert but his advice is all very generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

For people that are totally inactive like the contestants an 8 week walking regime would probably be best until a bit of fitness his built.

Well I agree walking could be better than running but there's nothing wrong with introducing resistance training. The show is about losing weight - which can be done without the exercise - but also about overall well-being.

You're far from an expert? Then that is why you're not on the show ;) Nothing wrong with the advice being generic if it works.

Agreed. It should be about forming good healthy habits, getting them out the door for walks would be more manageable and less daunting. One contestant each year seems to pick up an injury during the program. Walking is an effective form of exercise at a brisk pace. As someone who's been running a number of years, I enjoy a good walk - it's easier to get out the door for one, easier to fit it into your daily routine and a lovely little buzz of endorphins after. I also remember how difficult it was to start running and do the C25K program and I was young and not overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its "reality tv"..no-one wants to see people walking....unless they trip..:P...

Reminds me of Hoarders the other night (wifey likes it:rolleyes:) and there was a woman (as usual) talking, she had a messy divorce, she didnt want to talk about she said...the camera stayed on her face for at least 20 seconds while the host badgered her as to why ....she eventually broke....thats what people want....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

If anyone cut out the spoonfuls of sugar, and did nothing else, they'd lose weight.
    What I'm noticing this year, is some spouses and some children have weight issues too.

Fair play to the man who lost 10 stone since last year, probably more than any participant has ever lost on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Exactly. Many are too heavy to run and just do joint damage.

Advertisement