Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Operation Transformation

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

happyday wrote:
    How did Susanna put on the half pound???

Her weave must weigh a good bit. I hope they are allowing for that. I like her a lot. I think she was a lot more disappointed than she let on. I hope they encouraged her more than we saw on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

spurious wrote: »
    Her weave must weigh a good bit. I hope they are allowing for that. I like her a lot. I think she was a lot more disappointed than she let on. I hope they encouraged her more than we saw on screen.

I expected Dr.Eddie to step in and be nice and comforting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just caught up. I think all the leaders are really likeable and have great support and encouragement from their families.

I have to fast forward Karl Henry's contributions. He really grates on my nerves.

Delighted to see Shane from last year, really flying it. Lovely guy, who has been through a lot. Hope he can have the surgery and that it will be a great success. His wife and children are lovely too, and obviously a great source of encouragement and support to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

happyday wrote: »
    How did Susanna put on the half pound???

Aww I really felt for her. I know how she feels, my scales was up when I weighed in at the weekend. She seemed to have tried harder this week and it didn't go her way.
    I will say though - I get the impression that she needs a lot of hand holding and cajoling to do anything with OT - she doesn't seem to enjoy any form of movement and really struggled even going for a walk which is quite concerning for a woman as young as herself. I really hope she gets into the swing of things in the coming weeks.

Delighted to see Shane from last year, really flying it. Lovely guy, who has been through a lot. Hope he can have the surgery and that it will be a great success. His wife and children are lovely too, and obviously a great source of encouragement and support to him.
    I can't get over the change in him from the start of OT last year. Not even how he looks but his whole attitude and confidence - he's like a new man! While most of the previous contestants seem to slide off the radar when the show is over - it's great to hear a story about how the show has literally changed somebody's life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I can't get over the change in him from the start of OT last year. Not even how he looks but his whole attitude and confidence - he's like a new man! While most of the previous contestants seem to slide off the radar when the show is over - it's great to hear a story about how the show has literally changed somebody's life.

That's so true. I like when they show previous leaders who have really benefited from the programme. He is a shining example. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Just to add he was someone that really needed a change and hes lived up to it, delighted for him. There's inspiration in that.

I expected Dr.Eddie to step in and be nice and comforting

I think they are still trying to figure out if 'tough love' or lots of cajoling is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I personally don't like it, vulnerable people standing up there every week half naked and bearing there souls to the nation it's not nice. Its humeleating, its belittling, and listening to your man karl Henry who probably does f all during the day only keeps himself in shape and don't have a real life of work and kids and breakfast rolls. It begs the question would you prefer to live the good life eat and drink and live life and die when in your 70s or live like karl Henry and die in your 90s I know the one I am taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

kerryjack wrote: »
    I personally don't like it, vulnerable people standing up there every week half naked and bearing there souls to the nation it's not nice. Its humeleating, its belittling, and listening to your man karl Henry who probably does f all during the day only keeps himself in shape and don't have a real life of work and kids and breakfast rolls. It begs the question would you prefer to live the good life eat and drink and live life and die when in your 70s or live like karl Henry and die in your 90s I know the one I am taking.

The show has been on since 2008.

At this stage the contestants know exactly what they are getting into. They are adults and have made the decision to apply and participate.

"Living the good life" or "living life" offers absolutely no guarantees on how long you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

kerryjack wrote: »
    Those breakfast rolls would probably contribute to you dying in your 60s, never mind your 70s, in pure agony after who knows how much either public or your own money thrown at the health services trying to stave off whatever it is causing the onset of death. Care to guess how much bypass surgery is these days?
    Like psychologists, different personal trainers suit different people, from drill sergeants to cheerleaders and everything in between, so it's understandable that not everyone will gel with Karl. As for what he does all day, the simple answer is "follow his passion" which is what anyone would love to do. I've never seen him as a scam artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Who needs to go on this show when you can pay up with any amount of these 8-pack muscle/gym influencers living in Dubai. These ‘qualified’ fitness/nutrition experts will take your money, give you a few meal ideas and let you watch never ending videos on Instagram of them lifting weights in the gym, partying on yachts and eating out 3 times a day. They will have a great selection of yeezy’s and are not concerned about the coronavirus. But you have to be willing to post pictures online of yourself in calvins for men or thong bikini for women to show your progress. Karl Henry isn’t too ripped so he cannot apply.

Looking forward to seeing how this went went for all the leaders. They are a likeable bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Some sad news for anyone who's been following the show for a while.
    One of the leaders from 2018 Sarah O Callaghan passed away recently.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40214600.html

May she Rest In Peace.

I remember her, that is very sad.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I absolutely love Susanna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

She's lovely! That dance is the highlight of 2021 so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The guy is right about the food... It doesn't need to take an hour to prep and cook healthy, nutritional food.

They need to simplify the meal plan for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

mloc123 wrote: »
    The guy is right about the food... It doesn't need to take an hour to prep and cook healthy, nutritional food.

Look up the recipes, they are simple. He seems to be used to oven ready meals, deli hot food and heavier food in general so the transition must be hard. Learning a new way of eating completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They already are pretty simple. The issue is that he is just a lazy sod. Not sure why he is on the programme as he has a smart answer every week over something. Al3ays knows brpetter than the people who are there to help and guide.

• Advertisement

She's making such great progress with the walks!

They already are pretty simple. The issue is that he is just a lazy sod. Not sure why he is on the programme as he has a smart answer every week over something. Al3ays knows brpetter than the people who are there to help and guide.

Maybe they have simplified them, I made a few 2-3 years ago and they took 10-15 ingredients each and 1hr to prep

Arduach wrote: »
    She's lovely! That dance is the highlight of 2021 so far!
    I'm glad Susanna had a good week and a good weigh in. I was worried she'd fall off track after her previous poor weigh in and she hadn't been very motivated up to that point. I liked how supportive her friend was and how Susanna seemed to finally take on her role as a Leader.
    I do hope they can teach her how to judge her portion size by eye - you can't keep weighing out everything - you have to learn to judge how much goes on your plate.

Maybe they have simplified them, I made a few 2-3 years ago and they took 10-15 ingredients each and 1hr to prep

He's made a dinner there on camera, chicken (or was it salmon), asparagus and potato. Three ingredients, was it roasted or grilled? Not much work either way.
    It's just not the heavy fried food he likes (and takes one minute to buy in the deli or throw in the oven).

He really seems to be pushing back against the food and doesn't seem to like change in that regard. Ignoring Aoife's advise about his sugar intake, complaining about having to cook and for some reason taken aback at having to heat things up in the microwave. Did his wife always have a freshly cooked dinner on the table for him every evening?
    But I did look at his meal plan for the week - 2 days of chicken noodles, something black bean, another bean dish, a pork thing I can't pronounce, mackeral, beef stew, tofu butternut squash curry. It's all very different for someone who's probably used to meat and two veg type dinners. My husband is the same age and he would only look at the beef stew from that list, maybe the pork but with some potato.

Yeah but he's pre-diabetic. It's not going to fix itself, he needs to move away from traditional cooking, deli food, sugar etc or he won't succeed in preventing diabetes...

strandroad wrote: »
    He's made a dinner there on camera, chicken (or was it salmon), asparagus and potato. Three ingredients, was it roasted or grilled? Not much work either way.
    It's just not the heavy fried food he likes (and takes one minute to buy in the deli or throw in the oven).

He mentioned that dish on one of the other episodes - I think that's the only meal he knows how to cook. Now it is nice but he's lucky that when he's away overnight with work that he has access to a proper kitchen - many don't. There's so much more he could be doing, he just doesn't want to.

Yeah but he's pre-diabetic. It's not going to fix itself, he needs to move away from traditional cooking, deli food, sugar etc or he won't succeed in preventing diabetes...

Did you see the interview OT did with the guy from Sligo? In the space of a year he lost 7 stone, came off blood pressure tablets and (I think) reversed his type 2 diabetes.

They have found fantastic people this year to interview.

Did you see the interview OT did with the guy from Sligo? In the space of a year he lost 7 stone, came off blood pressure tablets and (I think) reversed his type 2 diabetes.

They have found fantastic people this year to interview.

Yes! It was great to see. Paul should pay attention. They are playing a blinder with this edition, perhaps it's the lockdown but I really got into it this time. Great themes throughout.

• Advertisement

But that is not on the plan! That was his point. He told her last week this was a dinner he liked and was easy to make... but it wasn't on the plan. That is his point, why can't it be as simple meal like that which takes 5 mins prep and 20 mins in the oven.

Advertisement