Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

I’ve just been following up on the recent posts here. One poster said he should be commended on his favourite dish and that he should have it every day of the week, albeit on a reduced portion size. I honestly don’t know what to make of this. The whole point of the show is that his current diet and lack of exercise isn’t working for him and that he needs a whole new approach for his body to get used to. It’s also a great way of introducing the nation to healthier and more sustainable fruit and vegetables that they’ll hopefully incorporate into their daily lives. Having his favourite dish 7 days a week is a win win for him as he’s not giving anything up, in fact he’s been rewarded for his mediocre effort. Paul gives us the impression that he wants us to hold his hand all the way through and if he goes a day without taking sugar he should get a big round of applause. It’s a terrible mindset to have. Ah sure it’s only a bit of craic for 8 weeks and then that’ll be the end of it, that’s the vibe I get off him. He has a wife and family there to help him, surely to god they can prepare his vegetables for him in advance. Oh no he just wants to make things difficult for everybody else. He gets his cup of tea handed to him in the mornings in his favourite mugs, surely he can make his own cup of tea. Who made him his soup I wonder.

In relation to the meals I would recommend (and have said it to OT) that all of the meals are prepared on video first before the show goes live, or at least a week in advance of the next broadcast. Get celebrity cooks from TV or members of the public to create a video of them being prepared and put them up on the website and their social media channels, Instagram being the most popular. That way every meal is up for people to watch first and they know just how long it takes to prepare and the more they do it the quicker their prep time. People could watch the videos on their lunch break a few days in advance, like Paul’s dashboard dining which apparently he’s the only person in the country who does this according to some posters here, when he’s far from not. Paul seemed to take pride in wolfing down his dinner in five minutes or so which is another problem for him as you are supposed to eat your food slowly to give it time to digest. He has to be different and I think he ate it quickly just to spite everyone else. All the other contestants are doing great and I’m looking forward to seeing when they team up and work together in the challenges. Hopefully they’ll talk to Paul’s co-workers next week and they’ll encourage and motivate him like the other leaders, who have a support network there, especially Susuana. However he has to want to do it for himself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

DenMan wrote: »
    I’ve just been following up on the recent posts here. One poster said he should be commended on his favourite dish and that he should have it every day of the week, albeit on a reduced portion size. I honestly don’t know what to make of this. The whole point of the show is that his current diet and lack of exercise isn’t working for him and that he needs a whole new approach for his body to get used to. It’s also a great way of introducing the nation to healthier and more sustainable fruit and vegetables that they’ll hopefully incorporate into their daily lives. Having his favourite dish 7 days a week is a win win for him as he’s not giving anything up, in fact he’s been rewarded for his mediocre effort. Paul gives us the impression that he wants us to hold his hand all the way through and if he goes a day without taking sugar he should get a big round of applause. It’s a terrible mindset to have. Ah sure it’s only a bit of craic for 8 weeks and then that’ll be the end of it, that’s the vibe I get off him. He has a wife and family there to help him, surely to god they can prepare his vegetables for him in advance. Oh no he just wants to make things difficult for everybody else. He gets his cup of tea handed to him in the mornings in his favourite mugs, surely he can make his own cup of tea. Who made him his soup I wonder.

In relation to the meals I would recommend (and have said it to OT) that all of the meals are prepared on video first before the show goes live, or at least a week in advance of the next broadcast. Get celebrity cooks from TV or members of the public to create a video of them being prepared and put them up on the website and their social media channels, Instagram being the most popular. That way every meal is up for people to watch first and they know just how long it takes to prepare and the more they do it the quicker their prep time. People could watch the videos on their lunch break a few days in advance, like Paul’s dashboard dining which apparently he’s the only person in the country who does this according to some posters here, when he’s far from not. Paul seemed to take pride in wolfing down his dinner in five minutes or so which is another problem for him as you are supposed to eat your food slowly to give it time to digest. He has to be different and I think he ate it quickly just to spite everyone else. All the other contestants are doing great and I’m looking forward to seeing when they team up and work together in the challenges. Hopefully they’ll talk to Paul’s co-workers next week and they’ll encourage and motivate him like the other leaders, who have a support network there, especially Susuana. However he has to want to do it for himself first.

He is just dog lazy.

Also I think that perhaps he thinks he is giving two fingers to the 'establishment' with his attitude. He is just coming across as a little man child..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Deeec wrote: »
    Most of the meals on OT my kids wouldnt eat however they absolutely devour a stew with lean meat and plenty of veg. The OT plan needs to be compatible with busy lives.

If you wrote out how to make you meat and veg stew the way OT writes recipes for complete beginners it would also list many ingredients (they list every single spice and seasoning, and staples like olive oil) and would read like an essay (they literally explain how to chop onions vs how to chop carrots). And it takes its time to cook, would Paul be okay with that?
    If you're used to cooking you don't notice the complexity but it's there. Paul would probably consider your stew too complicated to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

strandroad wrote: »
    If you wrote out how to make you meat and veg stew the way OT writes recipes for complete beginners it would also list many ingredients (they list every single spice and seasoning, and staples like olive oil) and would read like an essay (they literally explain how to chop onions vs how to chop carrots). And it takes its time to cook, would Paul be okay with that?
    If you're used to cooking you don't notice the complexity but it's there. Paul would probably consider your stew too complicated to make.

Its quite possible he would find it difficult. What I think he was trying to say (badly) was that he does not like the food. That the overall food plan doesnt suit him. I think he needs the support of his wife and family. While she is doing the exercise and is offering him some support it is not clear from the programme if his wife is also following the food plan. If she was preparing his meals prep wouldnt be an issue for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The show has been going for years and it's no surprise how they approach the food on it. The whole idea is to teach the leaders and those following it how to cook especially new things they never cooked before. The recipes teach nutrition, technique etc. It's not about just liking a particular dish. It's supposed to be a springboard for the leaders to have the cooking skills to continue when the show finishes.

There is no point just getting through the 6 or 8 weeks of the show as easy as possible and ultimately learning nothing from it. To change an unhealthy lifestyle you need to make sacrifices. If leaders are unwilling to try they will never succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cazale wrote: »
    The show has been going for years and it's no surprise how they approach the food on it. The whole idea is to teach the leaders and those following it how to cook especially new things they never cooked before. The recipes teach nutrition, technique etc. It's not about just liking a particular dish. It's supposed to be a springboard for the leaders to have the cooking skills to continue when the show finishes.

There is no point just getting through the 6 or 8 weeks of the show as easy as possible and ultimately learning nothing from it. To change an unhealthy lifestyle you need to make sacrifices. If leaders are unwilling to try they will never succeed.

spot on. Learn how to cook full meals from scratch and decide after 8 weeks of it if you want to go back to only knowing how to cook fish on tin foil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Ah they're not that simple. We've been making the meals for the past couple of weeks now & it does take quite a bit of time. They are nice, don't get me wrong, but they do take a bit of time to cook & get together. Now obviously making something the first time does take a bit longer but still.

I really think they need to look at that. And also meals that could be batch cooked. We prefer to do that as with both of us working and a young child, it's not the easiest to get a lot of a time in the evening to cook from scratch every night. It would be nice for them to recognise that a bit and include batch cooking recipes so that people could reheat (unlike Paul, I have nothing against microwaves!).

Having made at least 12 of the meals, the prep on most of them was in the region of 30-40mins. I think some of the problem lies with it being a different dinner every night with no repeats so yes you would get quicker at making something the more you make it (apart from cooking time) but if you're learning a new recipe every night, it's never going to get quicker.

Also if you follow the meal plan you end up buying lots of ingredients and only using a little of some of them so stuff ends up being unused and wasted. It can be expensive because of that.

happyday wrote: »
    Also if you follow the meal plan you end up buying lots of ingredients and only using a little of some of them so stuff ends up being unused and wasted. It can be expensive because of that.

Go on, list what would be unused and wasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think the show has passed its sell by date? But, I do enjoy hate watching it... I think I am not alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Paul’s a bit of a pain in the arse but people can get cranky when cutting back on food. Especially if he cut out the sugar. He’s still lost a good bit.

I must’ve missed the stick for another contestant who missed target 2 out of 3 weeks so far. Nothing but sympathy from the expert team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Niall_76 wrote: »
    I must’ve missed the stick for another contestant who missed target 2 out of 3 weeks so far. Nothing but sympathy from the expert team.

Who, Susuana? Karl was tough on her making her finish her walks when she was huffing and puffing and barely able to. And they made her weigh her food when she resisted, even put the camera over her kitchen scales. The point is she is walking and weighing her food now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

My guess there will be a slot this week or next with Aoife turning up to whatever accommodation he is in showing him how to rustle up something along the lines of the food plan in a few minutes that can be over cooked.

This sort of thing happens every year and usually on week 4. It looks so scripted at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

They also suggested batch cooking at the weekend. It's the norm in many busy houses to prepare meals in advance at the weekend. He is just full of excuses.

My guess there will be a slot this week or next with Aoife turning up to whatever accommodation he is in showing him how to rustle up something along the lines of the food plan in a few minutes that can be over cooked.

So he batch cooks meals and it takes an hour to do. Or he just cooks fresh & simple meals like he is suggesting - chuck it in the oven and forgot about it.

Tell me - what is the difference between the two providing the nutrition & calories are the same?
    You have to feel sorry for him.

The only person in the country that works all day and has to cook dinner when he gets home.

He can't live on his favourite dish 7 nights a week.

His favourite dish that is simple, easy to cook, nutrition & the ingredients can be picked up in any shop. What's the issue?

A lot of people on that show would turn their noses up at the thoughts of eating salmon & asparagus, he didn't. Encourage him to eat it.
    But if his meals are so great and easy why is he xxx stone overweight and pre-diabetic with sleep apnea? That's the point - he's used to fast (cooked or bought) food, and he gobbles it. They are trying to make him slow down with both, and reduce his intake at the same time because at the end of the day he is there to lose weight. Was his roast meal the same calorie value as the chopped meal, was it mentioned?

He was pre-diabetic and overweight because he was eating ****e from a garage, drinking tea's with x amount of sugars in them and god knows what else.

He's trying to cut that crap out and in return asked for easy, simple meals he can cook like that salmon dinner, which is a perfecftly reasonable request.
    Yes, he loves it so much except he won't heat it in a microwave. :rolleyes:

Yes I expect an adult who wants so much to change their lifestyle prep and cook some food for 20-30mins. He could even make double or triple the amount for the next 2 days, but he refuses to use a microwave.

His problem is he's pushing back too much and not trying to come up with any workable solutions himself. He's acting like a child.

Why do if he can cook something fresh just as quick? Why does he have to precook the meals? He's already doing that with his lunch on the go, allow the man a fresh dinner in the evening.

A lot of people here are being overly negative and you really need to take a step back and look at what is going on. Taking this guy as an example, he clearly had a bad diet and is making steps towards changing this but it needs to be sustainable steps (there's a reason why they are not parading all past participants each week).

If those steps are cutting from 2-3 sugars a tea down to half a sugar and salmon, asparagus & a potato meals instead of a take-away, then so be it. They run into these problems each and every single show, remember the lady who wanted a few drinks with her mates and was scolded for it when she worked out the calories, cut back a bit of food and four (I think) drink instead of her usual 10 and was subsequently scolded?

Consistency & more importantly sustainability, week after week, month after month, year after year is what is required to turn the ship here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Naos wrote:
    A lot of people here are being overly negative and you really need to take a step back and look at what is going on. Taking this guy as an example, he clearly had a bad diet and is making steps towards changing this but it needs to be sustainable steps (there's a reason why they are not parading all past participants each week).

Naos wrote:
    If those steps are cutting from 2-3 sugars a tea down to half a sugar and salmon, asparagus & a potato meals instead of a take-away, then so be it. They run into these problems each and every single show, remember the lady who wanted a few drinks with her mates and was scolded for it when she worked out the calories, cut back a bit of food and four (I think) drink instead of her usual 10 and was subsequently scolded?

If someone wants to slowly change they should do it on their own. Operation Transformation by its nature is an intensive program over a short period. They aren't going to have a week where all the ask participants to do is reduce sugar in their tea.

As I posted previously OT has a well established format so nobody is under any illusion before they sign up. If someone participating doesn't want to do what is asked the show isn't for them. It's akin to going on I'm a Celebrity and being shocked when being handed a kangaroo testicle to chew on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The Paul guy is coming across as a bit of a pain, especially if complaining about microwaving food (didn't see that episode)
    But I do feel meal plans could be simplified. Maybe have a sliding scale of complexity, but keep the meals nutritious and calorie controlled.

People can start easy and move from there. Not just the contestants but viewers also.

Have they ever used frozen veg in the show? (I don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Naos wrote: »
    So he batch cooks meals and it takes an hour to do. Or he just cooks fresh & simple meals like he is suggesting - chuck it in the oven and forgot about it.

His favourite dish that is simple, easy to cook, nutrition & the ingredients can be picked up in any shop. What's the issue?

A lot of people on that show would turn their noses up at the thoughts of eating salmon & asparagus, he didn't. Encourage him to eat it.

Batch cooking is suggested as it's one afternoon of "pain" for maybe a few weeks of dinners, especially if you make a few different dishes at the same time.

The "issue" with his favourite dish is it's not sustainable. Eating salmon and asparagus 7 days a week would get monotonous extremely fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Who, Susuana? Karl was tough on her making her finish her walks when she was huffing and puffing and barely able to. And they made her weigh her food when she resisted, even put the camera over her kitchen scales. The point is she is walking and weighing her food now...

I wouldn’t say they were tough on her at all. And yes she is doing the right things now but wasn’t the first two weeks. All felt sorry for her the second week. Just very different reactions towards her on the show and on here.

I hope it works out for both of them. Part of me thinks both situations are set ups to show how the plan works when followed.

The sustainability of it that people have mentioned is very interesting. Follow ups for all contestants should be part of it, not just the success stories.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Niall_76 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say they were tough on her at all. And yes she is doing the right things now but wasn’t the first two weeks. All felt sorry for her the second week. Just very different reactions towards her on the show and on here.

I hope it works out for both of them. Part of me thinks both situations are set ups to show how the plan works when followed.

The sustainability of it that people have mentioned is very interesting. Follow ups for all contestants should be part of it, not just the success stories.

I have to catch up yet on this week.

I was just thinking that, following up with previous participants would be very interesting. And I suppose, a true measure of the success and sustainability of the programme.

There definitely are some positive stories, like Shane from last year. The garda who was on it, a few years ago, also has featured on ads or something for the programme. His was a success story too.

I would love to see how the couple from Cork, got on, or the paramedic guy from Donegal, (who Karl told a hundred times over 'you're the heaviest participant we ever had') I think he was the previous year.

They were lovely people, and I do hope they had continued success with weight loss, and healthy habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What always amazes me each year is...they get thousands of applicants. They make them all cry and beg to get on the show etc... And almost every year they end up with a couple of no hopers in the final 5.

It must be intentional?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

mloc123 wrote: »
    What always amazes me each year is...they get thousands of applicants. They make them all cry and beg to get on the show etc... And almost every year they end up with a couple of no hopers in the final 5.

It must be intentional?

What do you mean by that? Do you mean it is difficult for them to lose the weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,220 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mloc123 wrote: »

It must be intentional?

It's reality TV.
    They don't want boring people who'll just loose wright. They want the drama of that Paul guy at the end of the day.

Think we all tend to forget that the show isn't really about helping people, at the end of the day if people are helped in some way it really is a by product of the whole process. The show exists for ad revenue and sponsorship.

They draw us in with personalities and sob stories(which pretty much without fail each participant has every year). There is always the 'joker' the person who tried to either make a laugh out of it or pushes against the process. There is always the one who goes mad exercising, the one the loses the plot(pardon the pun) at some stage and the spoof that is our Eddie has to swoop in and pay a visit for a chat in the woods(like happened last week).#

Never forget it is a reality show.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

"This week... you weigh 14 stone 6 pounds... or TWO Kathryn Thomases... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Paul moaning and whinging already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Paul should channel his anger into running or jogging or whatever it takes to lose the kgs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

He has an awful attitude and comes across a bit low on the IQ.

Sorry if that's harsh but he's a pain.

Good weight loss but his attitude stinks overall

Long-term I couldn't see him staying the course. Meeting a few weeks weight loss is the easy part. It's what he'll be like in 12 mts, 5 years time etc.

Yeah that's true

I think he'll fall back into bad habits as soon as the cameras stop rolling

Always tries to get the last word in too

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah that's true

I think he'll fall back into bad habits as soon as the cameras stop rolling

Always tries to get the last word in too

So true about the last word. He's like a young lad that never grew up.

Compared to Sharon on now. Does her work, no back chat, humble lady.

Advertisement