Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looking at the 850 temps long range, both ECM and GFS struggle to get them above 0 at any point until the end of FI and most of that between -4 and -8.

Absolute miserable shíte. Spring? What spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Grand day today. Bright and fresh. We'd all love 20C but its early only early April and it sure beats the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s annoying because I have no idea what the actual maximum was for my records. In February I had this same issue, temps were about 2c above the actual level, there would be rapid drops as soon as the cloud went in.

The other reason why I know it’s wrong is because the dew point is too high compared to other stations.

(It says 2c but everywhere else is about -2c)

Sensor exposed to sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Light snow shower D15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day in Meath, almost unbroken sunshine since this morning. There were a few light flurries earlier on this morning but nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Sensor exposed to sunlight?

I was told it’s because it’s sighted on a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Bitterly cold above 400 metres my hands are painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

April snow used to be nothing too unusual with most Irish stations averaging snow to fall on at least 1 April day a year, north naturally closer to 2 as compared to south and southwest which is closer to 0.

Places had a bit of snow falling as recent as early April 2019 though admittedly not very widespread.

The most well-known April snow event is that of April 1917 which brought 48-72 hours of constant drifting snow in the west of the country and gave unimagineable scenes to counties like Mayo and Clare that remain unmatched to this day in mid-winter. There were further days of falling snow up to mid-month too with stations getting close to 10 days of falling snow and a few days of snow lying also despite the strength of the April sun.

Other years to note for April snow for various reasons for either recollections or years that stand out for stats off the top of my head:

1966 - Widespread reports of sleet and snow, away from southern regions, on the 14th and 15th with low pressure to the south and unusually low maximum temperatures for the time of year in the low to mid single digits. Only got to 1.6C all day on 15th April at Clones.

1994 - RTÉ Archives report on it here. A white Easter Saturday on 2nd April for some with wintry showers from a blustery polar maritime northwesterly airflow.

1998 - A cold spell coincided with Easter giving away to icy road conditions, some snow and sleet. An inch of snow fell at Ballyvarney, Kerry and light snow fell in Cork, Galway, Tipperary and Donegal around Good Friday (April 10th). Minimum temperatures were also notably low including Casement, Dublin getting down to -5.5C on the 10th which was the lowest temperature of the 'winter' and its lowest April temp on record. Mullingar had a grass minimum of -10.5C on the 13th.

1999 - A gale force northerly wind on the 14th brought heavy wintry showers of sleet and snow to northern and eastern parts of the country. Dublin Airport recorded over 2 inches of snowfall. Road conditions were reported to be 'very severe' along the east coast and in the midlands. Rail services had to be cancelled temporarily.

2008 - There were wintry showers bringing a dusting of snow to many places early on 6th April associated with a cold north to northeasterly airflow. However, any accumulations were less than an inch. Conditions had been relatively mild a few days prior. Further wintry showers occurred including hail, sleet and snow on other days such as the 7th and 13th. Classic spring or April showers.

That's just a selection of years of course and there would be many more with snow at some point somewhere in the country including but not limited to 2005, 2000, 1995, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1983, 1979, 1977 and 1975. So April snow not as unusual as it might be made out to be, what's more unusual is if it accumulates to much like in 1917 which was a different kettle of fish altogether. Pretty typical for at least some kind of snow to be mixed in with the proverbial April showers that we so often get at this time of year - well except of late that is with some pretty dry Aprils and others like 2018 just pure Atlantic driven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

^^^^^^
    Excellent sryanbruen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some light graupel in west Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No shower since that one morning. If only we could have a repeat of April 1917:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

NASA EOSDIS Sat Pic from earlier showing cloud streets full of snow showers heading towards Northern Europe and some clipping Ireland too, will see how much comes in over land tonight/ early weds morning and how far down the country.

Thinking that some Northern counties will probably have a dusting or some light snow settling in places for a time by morning, hills and mountains should look well. Not as much as Shetland mind you :D

oiGFol0.png?1

lti8vI0.gif

IyLo6Ot.gif

tY7vwSw.png

https://twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1379119346744766470?s=20

https://twitter.com/kazcustard/status/1379043332291170308?s=20

https://twitter.com/jm_stout/status/1378952594660409345?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Icy precipitation out here and the icy air is bitter. Rounding the corner of the dwelling to be exposed to the north Atlantic shore in the face of strong gusts.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

5 or 6 snow showers throughout the day but they all died out just as they were beginning to accumulate, just didn't last long enough. Always nice to see snow falling regardless. After dark will hopefully be a different story.

Kind of disappointed that we had all those heavy showers earlier today only for them to die out as we approach evening.

Lovely sunny day in Arklow,maxed at 8.7c,which I won't give out about considering
    Fair bite in the breeze but too busy working to notice that too much
    Grand stretch in the evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

About 20 of these nice star-shaped graupels have just fallen here in the past few minutes. Nature's beauty.

549320.jpeg

549321.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Max of 8.6C
    Few snow flurries and a decent hail shower
    Fair chill in the wind.

Currently 3.7C and dropping off quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Completely white here now in SW Donegal after that shower, it's hail/ graupel but looks great all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I'm surprised there is no yellow warning for Donegal etc when all of NI has a snow warning for tonight for possibly 2 to 4cm in places . Met.ie regional forecast for Ulster mentions accumulations as well.

Nationally maybe a dusting in a good few places by Dawn. Will have no trouble sticking to a frozen ground.

19:38

Tonight
    Scattered wintry showers will mainly affect Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster early tonight, but will drift further south overnight. Very cold with a widespread frost as temperatures fall to between -3 and +2 degrees, coldest in Munster and Leinster where there will be long clear spells

The SW trajectory of the showers is a pain for my location, showers are bypassing me to my east and west.

Currently 2.3c and dropping very slowly with the wind, after a high of 5.2c at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Ballyclare Co Antrim

Looks as though a mini shower passed over whilst I was occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For sryanbruen, enjoyed reading your list of historic snowfalls in April, any way of finding out what happened around 24-26 April of 1908, the only clue there is that CET values were extremely low, one day averaged 0.8 C.

Some photos from earlier. The photos were taken at an elevation of 460 metres. The temp was around -1c with a strong wind, it was bitterly cold.

4WrO98g.jpg
    toriozC.jpg
    OqB5usF.jpg
    WRg68pj.jpg
    QYZ8Jpz.jpg
    diobt7Y.jpg

And a short time lapse of a snow shower:
    https://streamable.com/opi4at

Snowing again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Anyone in County Kilkenny seeing any snow? Seems every time snow is due I never see it no matter where I am situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Shower of hail. 2.1c was snowing earlier but end of week could be more productive as high further out West than now. Still that too could change in the timeframe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Damn cold outside. I wish we could get some precipitation. West Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement