Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Joeface wrote: »
    this is stupid , Russell is a Williams driver , he shouldn't be allowed move teams for one race. Even more so with Covid moving form what is essentially one team bubble to another .

Vandoorne is the reserve driver , I really hope its just media boredom .

Maybe Hamilton has told Merc he is off into the sunset........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yes he has won it, but has he been crowned the Champion for this yr, is that not technically done at the end of the seaon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A lot of the current speculation is coming from English based journalists and magazines who not so long ago had illot as favourite for Haas.

Russell to swap for the weekend is possible but what's the real upside ? - ignore the bs being written about improving the standing of Williams - Bottas is locked in at Mercedes and Russell is locked in at Williams. Mercedes would have all the information they need on his potential.

What I am finding most unusual is that Mercedes are giving the impression that they had no plans in place for a positive Covid test - that's not how they work and the cynic in me thinks this is all good publicity for F1 and Mercedes during the post race quiet period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Yes he has won it, but has he been crowned the Champion for this yr, is that not technically done at the end of the seaon?

Who can catch him. :pac:

They gave him the golden P1 at Turkey for TV.

I don't think the FIA will have the Gala this year so it will just show up in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sunday’s race will be the first time since 2017 that the defending champion won’t take part in a race, and only the second time since 1994, on that occasion after Imola there was no past or present champion.

That's wrong do the second part. Sebastian Vettel and Kimi are both past Champions so it is wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

AMKC wrote: »
    That's wrong do the second part. Sebastian Vettel and Kimi are both past Champions so it is wrong.

I think they mean that after Senna died in Imola, there was no champion on the grid at the next race. Correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Read it again.

I think they mean that after Senna died in Imola, there was no champion on the grid at the next race. Correct?

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Infoanon wrote: »
    Russell to swap for the weekend is possible but what's the real upside ? - ignore the bs being written about improving the standing of Williams - Bottas is locked in at Mercedes and Russell is locked in at Williams. Mercedes would have all the information they need on his potential.

You can never have enough information.

Another upside is they get to try out their next in line for a seat as Toto calls him.

Williams gets money from Mercedes for Russell and money from whatever pay driver they take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I can see the cruel world of Motorsport unfolding now.

Russell gets given the Merc. Well in the points. Engine failure with 4 laps to go.
    Latifi up from 11th to 10th for Williams first points in donkeys.

Heartbreak for Russell haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spot on

Awe ok. So if Imola 94 was one time when was the other time there was no F1 champion on the grid?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Awe ok. So if Imola 94 was one time when was the other time there was no F1 champion on the grid?

They said defending champion, not any champion. Rosberg retired after winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought it was a trick question.

Answer 1950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

VW announced it’s pulling out of all motorsport. It had previously said it’s pulling out of internal combustion engine sports to focus on electric powered cars. But yesterday Audi announced it’s leaving FE and today VE made the broader announcement.

It might be limited to other motorsports but I think this is part of a trend (which includes Honda pulling out of F1). Nobody has sold cars in the last year. Ot must be hard to justify motorsport programmes when there’s probably a global recession coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Audi had been rumoured to quit Formula E this year but when the new gen car was postponed they opted for one more year. There time in FE was limited once Porsche joined the grid. Volkswagen didn't need them competing with eachother so Audi's departure was planned before Covid.

Jenson Button has let Mercedes know he is available. Mostly as a joke but I don't think he would say know if he was asked. It created one of the best Twitter threads I've ever seen. They wrote out Jensen asking for a drive and getting rejected in the style of Eminem - Stan.

Also a few people calling for Rosberg, Alonso, Verstappen or Vettel to get the drive.

Rosberg started a petition for Russell to get the drive.

The above is mostly all nonsense but fun to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I want Hulk in the car.

No, post Imola 1994 the rest of that season was bar the 4 races Mansell drove in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

F1 Twitter states Russell confirmed in the Merc. Aitken in the Williams. Stoffel mans the waffle stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Aitken will be driving the Williams and Russell the Mercedes
    https://www.williamsf1.com/news/2020/12/j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think f1 drivers should be allowed to go from one team to another just for one race, f1 teams should have to use their reserve driver or one that isn't part of a team. I hope Russell gets a good result this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

Crofty will be more unbearable. Mr Saturday will need to be mr Sunday also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hope Russell does well. Would be nice to see him get a podium.

He has a 50-50 chance of winning. Let's be honest, it's between him and Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Now the big question - can he maintain his 100% qualifying performance against a teammate?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Now the big question - can he maintain his 100% qualifying performance against a teammate?

I’m going to say no. He’ll be beaten by Bottas and Verstappen in qualifying. As we know the Mercedes doesn’t like traffic, so if Russell starts third that’s going to be it unless something happens in front of him. Also worth noting will Latifi out qualify Aitken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

A further announcement is looming for today.

I don't get the point of a reserve driver now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

I think most teams assume they will never need to use their reserve driver. This year has really caught them out.

jv2000 wrote: »
    I think most teams assume they will never need to use their reserve driver. This year has really caught them out.

Let's face it, Stoffel has same qualifications as Russell. But Mercedes is clearly putting their bet on Russell for a future cockpit with them.
    Stoffel will have to be clear to himself that he is out of F1 and his future is formula e, GT or Touring Car.

Tbf I think Russell actually is Mercedes official reserve, just leased out to Williams. Giovinazzi is actually Ferrari's reserve. Aitken is Williams reserve.

So reserves are earning their keep this weeekend.

Schumacher confirmation at Haas, now all I want is Illott to win F2 championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Will be nice to see that name back in F1

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1334044805022756864?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Surprised by Russell move potentially for the next two races - reserve drivers are losing out because of recent race and new tyres experience apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not sure how Aitken has got the reserve role at Williams. I presume it's for money reasons. His results in GP2 are only average at best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Huge pressure on Bottas now. Will be very interesting to watch.

Harika wrote: »
    Let's face it, Stoffel has same qualifications as Russell. But Mercedes is clearly putting their bet on Russell for a future cockpit with them.
    Stoffel will have to be clear to himself that he is out of F1 and his future is formula e, GT or Touring Car.

Unless it's because Stoffel wouldn't have had enough time to quarantine after arriving in Bahrain. Or he didn't have enough track time? I mean, it's not like they have anything to lose - they've won everything already. Races are just testing sessions for them at this stage.

Unless it's because Stoffel wouldn't have had enough time to quarantine after arriving in Bahrain. Or he didn't have enough track time? I mean, it's not like they have anything to lose - they've won everything already. Races are just testing sessions for them at this stage.

Bahrain is strict BUT he just would have passed multiple tests as Formula E testing was this weekend and only ended yesterday so he likely wouldn't have had an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Well, this makes no sense whatsoever. Unless the rumors of Lewis thinking about moving on to different activities at the end of the season have a bit of truth to them, and the team are taking the opportunity for a trial.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Well, this makes no sense whatsoever. Unless the rumors of Lewis thinking about moving on to different activities at the end of the season have a bit of truth to them, and the team are taking the opportunity for a trial.

It makes absolutely perfect sense. It's possibly the only logical solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

Should make the weekend very interesting, three drivers in cars they wouldn't be too familiar with, bottas with pressure on him now both with Russell in the merc and verstappen chasing him down for 2nd in the drivers.

They just didn't want him. He's not talented enough and doesn't have the potential to be an F1 driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

GarIT wrote: »
    They just didn't want him. He's not talented enough and doesn't have the potential to be an F1 driver.

That's going a bit far - he'd potentially be a very decent driver and he was just unfortunate he never got a chance in anything other than a backmarker McLaren with Alonso for a team-mate. He's certainly a far better driver than Bottas if you look at the whole of his career.

With that said, he's been out of F1 for a few years so it would be a big ask to jump in at a moments notice, so Russell is a far better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

2 Races left and Williams still chasing a single point this season and their best chance based of securing even one is with Russell behind the wheel and they give him up for one Race . It seems poor in a competition sense that Williams loose their driver . As has been pointed out Mercedes have secured both championships, they didn't need to hamper another team just for this race. With Covid in place Drivers should not really been moving teams , and as Covid has been in the Mercedes camp for a few weeks now this makes even less sense. If Vandoorne is a Test and Simulator driver for Mercedes that's who should be in place .

To me it makes a little bit of mockery of the "competition" and also Why all the fuss earlier over Williams not confirming Russell seat for next season straight way. if they have to give him up any time Mercedes have a problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

First time a Mercedes junior driver has raced for the full works team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

2 Races left and Williams still chasing a single point this season and their best chance based of securing even one is with Russell behind the wheel and they give him up for one Race . It seems poor in a competition sense that Williams loose their driver . As has been pointed out Mercedes have secured both championships, they didn't need to hamper another team just for this race. With Covid in place Drivers should not really been moving teams , and as Covid has been in the Mercedes camp for a few weeks now this makes even less sense. If Vandoorne is a Test and Simulator driver for Mercedes that's who should be in place .

To me it makes a little bit of mockery of the "competition" and also Why all the fuss earlier over Williams not confirming Russell seat for next season straight way. if they have to give him up any time Mercedes have a problem.

Russell has scored zero points this season and is technically behind Latifi (also on 0) in the championship because his best finish is actually lower.

That car doesn't stand a chance of scoring 3 points without absolute chaos occurring, in which case there's just as much chance of a different driver doing it.

It would make a bigger mockery of the competition to put a driver that's several years out of practice in the fastest car on the grid. Russell has always been a Mercedes driver, Williams need any help they can get in terms of support and discounted engines, so it's easy to see why they'd oblige.

A point won't do much for Williams. They would need at least 4 to beat HAAS. It's hard to say what's better for them the publicity from a point or their driver not finishing last and the extra publicity, and double.extra publicity if it's realised they have a future star or at.least race winner. Payments from Mercedes and Aitken would definitely sweeten the deal.

Mercedes need to keep Bottas' morale up, secure second for him and to do that someone who could take point off Verstappen or be used as a roadblock would be helpful. They also want to trial who they plan to be their next driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If by some miracle Russell is leading Bottas in the closing stages of the race, does anyone think team orders will be employed to help Bottas in his fight for 2nd overall?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement