Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DubCul wrote: »
    If you were around during paper scoring you would never want it back.

Judging was as biased as the Eurovision song contest:eek:

I was around for both and IMO, the paper, though far from perfect too, is better than the comp and fairer. I see far too many instances with the comp where boxers are scoring great shots and they are NOT registering. Body shots hardly ever count and like I mentioned above, a standing count might not even score a point; which is ridiculous.

If they brought in a rule that a count resulted in an automatic 2 point score and the actual score, if registered, then it may be a whole lot better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cowzerp wrote: »
    yeah i agree, its clear he's a fan but his knowledge is quite poor and he just sounds like your grandad doing commentary in your living room!

ps, I hate the computer scoring, it misses so many good punches, ring back the paper scoring...:(

yes, it's why i'm not a huge fan of Olympic boxing rght now. I was watching a fight today where a man was landing with good jabs and yet he was getting no points for it. Annoying to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well John Joe Joyce showed me, I was giving the lad no chance based on previous form but he fought fantastically today better than any time ive seen him(granted I've only seen him a handful of times).

I think the cautious scoring of officials will help the Irish boxers, Sutherland may really benefit from this as a lot of his scoring shots are very clear where he may concede points from light shots. While the others mightn't be suited to this quite as much as Sutherland I still think it will benefit them over trigger happy judges.

It is a bit ridiculous at times though, you feel so sorry for some guys not scoring points when landing clean hard accurate shots. I thought the Namibian Kensuto possibly should have got the decision over Balanov. While Balanov is obviously the technically more gifted fighter, I thought Kasuto landed more numerous good hard shots and should of won.

Walshb I agree that there should be a points bonus for flooring a guy and for a standing count aswell. Maybe one for standing count, two for a knockdown.

'its boxing, the aim is to knock out your opponent, maybe he thinks these lads dont feel the shots.'

Don't tell the IOC that, after all these are bouts nowdays not fights and they'd much rather think of the amateurs as human fencing rather than a pugilistic contest.

I have to say I wasn't impressed with Demetrius Andrade the US Gold medal favourite at Welterweight. The Georgian really made it tough for him, and fair play to that guy too. Not only is he a pretty decent fighter but to put on a performance like that while your country is in serious conflict back home takes a lot of mental strength and he showed in the fight that he has bags of that.

The problem with the knockdown is it is dubious at times. If a man slips and the ref fails to notice and claims a KD, then that is unfair.

I think it is open for too much error. With the count, the ref almost always gets it right and steps in when a heavy shot or combo stuns an opponent bad, then again, I have seen counts in boxing all because a fighters head snapped back from a single shot, big deal:rolleyes:; it is still only a punch landing

It is strange really. There is no real solution as the ref can play such a part in a bout, and if MY RULE was brought in, it may well lead to further problems, like the ones I mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Three problems with the Amateurs

1. 4X2. Its rubbish. Bring back 3 Threes.

2. The Computer. Its flawed, badly.

3. Its bent.

The Ukrainian I saw fight a Chinese guy.....he had to land 5 to get one. There was an African kid fighting a Mongol today...the African would throw 5, land 2, get nothing, and then the Mongol would fart and rack up points.

Its rotten.

5 judges each handing in a 10-9 card at the end. Use professional judges too. Its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Fair played to JJJ, i got a tenner on him to gold at 201:1, he has a sniff of a chance now. As for Jimmy Magee, what you guys need to understand is that for the vast majority of RTE's audience they are not boxing fans and Magees shortcomings to a boxing fan wouldnt be there for an average punter, he appeals to the middle of the road punter, like it or not,,, but I have to say that he isnt as bad as he is for the pro fights. Im fairly impressed with RTE's coverage, they are showing plenty of fights and the highlights on their website are very handy,,,,thumbs up from me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yep, good man JJJ you did yourself proud - no matter what happens from here on in beating an opponent in the Olympics that has beaten you in the past deserves much respect as it means you've conquered the mental aspect that is the ruin of so many strong competitors (e.g. the Irish guy in the shooting). Fingers crossed he drives on from here and keeps boxing clever to surprise us all with a medal.

Magee does wreck my head sometimes but other times I can see why someone with only a passing interest in boxing would like him but he is a bit off his game at the moment. I was watching a very handy Croatian beat a very, very weak Samoan at light-heavy. Croatian nails him with a big right hook to the temple, Samoan starts staggering about the ring then Jimmy says he may be acting. The lad ends up stumbling across the ring and falling on his face. Jimmy says 'if he's not acting this is very serious'. What the f**k? Who goes to the Olympics to make an eejit of themselves by jumping on the canvas (ref should have caught him btw). Turned out to be one of the worst knockouts I've seen in amateur - he wasn't moving for several minutes and it was pretty concerning, hope he's alright.

The scoring system is a joke, there's got to be a better way. The fact they can't take back a point if the ref warns the boxer for slapping is just inexplicable. It's far too subjective and weighed against throwing combinations - why bother punching in bunches when the old lads judging won't be fast enough on the button to score more than 1 or 2 shots? It brings the sport into disrepute as nobody has any confidence that the best man will win.

Yep, good man JJJ you did yourself proud - no matter what happens from here on in beating an opponent in the Olympics that has beaten you in the past deserves much respect as it means you've conquered the mental aspect that is the ruin of so many strong competitors (e.g. the Irish guy in the shooting). Fingers crossed he drives on from here and keeps boxing clever to surprise us all with a medal.

Reminded me of Carruth in the Olimps when he won the Gold. He just fought such a smart fight. Well done
    Magee does wreck my head sometimes but other times I can see why someone with only a passing interest in boxing would like him but he is a bit off his game at the moment. I was watching a very handy Croatian beat a very, very weak Samoan at light-heavy. Croatian nails him with a big right hook to the temple, Samoan starts staggering about the ring then Jimmy says he may be acting. The lad ends up stumbling across the ring and falling on his face. Jimmy says 'if he's not acting this is very serious'. What the f**k? Who goes to the Olympics to make an eejit of themselves by jumping on the canvas (ref should have caught him btw). Turned out to be one of the worst knockouts I've seen in amateur - he wasn't moving for several minutes and it was pretty concerning, hope he's alright.

I saw that fight but I saw it on the BBC.....Magee should be shot for saying that. That Samoan took an awful lot of clean shots before the stoppage.
    The scoring system is a joke, there's got to be a better way. The fact they can't take back a point if the ref warns the boxer for slapping is just inexplicable.

Yeah......Woodhall was alluding to that. Its like nailing a guy with a low blow- even if a point comes off, he's still winded.

It's far too subjective and weighed against throwing combinations - why bother punching in bunches when the old lads judging won't be fast enough on the button to score more than 1 or 2 shots? It brings the sport into disrepute as nobody has any confidence that the best man will win.

One clean right is all I would be looking to land. The only reason you should punch in combo is to stop the other guy getting off. There was a Zambian fighting a Mongolian today and if it was scored on a 10-9 system then the Zambian would have got a draw or at a win. He would chase the Mongolian, rough him up, land a half a dozen times and then get cauught with one and lose the point. Of course the fact that the whole thing is bent doesn't help but for what it is worth Computer scoring is total sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The scoring system is the best there is. Seriously, can nobody remember how bad things were before hand. As Big ears said its not about fighting anymore, its about landing clean punches. The amateur and pro game are totally different.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    The scoring system is the best there is. Seriously, can nobody remember how bad things were before hand. As Big ears said its not about fighting anymore, its about landing clean punches. The amateur and pro game are totally different.

Yeah- but should they be totally different????:confused:

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

The scoring system is the best there is. Seriously, can nobody remember how bad things were before hand.

+1

Anyone talking of going back to the 'paper' judging should try to remember why it was changed in the first place !! It was farcial in the extreme !!

Someone mentioned how NOW it's all subjective ??? No it's not. If you see a punch being landed you press a button. If you don't you don't. In the bad old days you got extreme subjectivity. Not alone was the fella going forward often rewarded for simply doing that, but completely non-boxing crap like your place of origin, etc. often came into it.

The computer system may not be perfect, but at least the right man tends to get the decision most of the time, unlike before.

Congrats to Ken Egan and JJ Joyce on two excellent performances. Hopefully it's a good sign of the Irish team's preparation as a whole.

Some more Irish times confirmed. Times are Irish, not local Beijing times

Thursday
    09.15 Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey)
    13.00 Joyce v Felix Diaz (Dominican Republic)

Saturday
    08.45 Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria)
    12.00 Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Valentino v Ugas in the next round of the lightweights on Friday - best fight of the tournie yet?

Best fight for me was Bradley Saunders laying out that African Kid.

The African came bopping out on his ring walk like he was at a Fifty-Cent concert. He didn't look like he was paying attention at all.:eek:

Its refreshing to see some old school body-shot stoppages.

• Advertisement

Why not?

Because its still boxing, at the end of the day.

These bureaucrats have reduced it to a state of padded arm-fencing.

And thats NOT what the Pro game is about, lets face it.

Dump the head guards, bring back 3-3's, and have 7 judges scoring on a 10-point-must.

Also- ban all the Central Asian judges cos they are BENT.

Best fight for me was Bradley Saunders laying out that African Kid.

The African came bopping out on his ring walk like he was at a Fifty-Cent concert. He didn't look like he was paying attention at all.:eek:

Its refreshing to see some old school body-shot stoppages.

yeah it was an interesting one alright - Saunders leave himself wide open but the African boys did not like the Micky Ward style left hooks to the body (later claimed they were fouls for being low)

Anyone noticed that body shots arnt really being scored by the judges - which I find dissapointing

***WARNING - POTENTIALLY RASH GENERALISATION***

The African boxers have been shiote - and they get too many places in the Olympics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyone noticed that body shots arnt really being scored by the judges - which I find dissapointing
    Yea I noticed that alright. The thing with the scoring as well is if a guy gets in 2 or 3 clean shots, he'll only get a single point for it. If a lead is built up that makes it very difficult for a guy to come back

***WARNING - POTENTIALLY RASH GENERALISATION***

The African boxers have been shiote - and they get too many places in the Olympics!!

You could've at least waited until after the Nevin and Sutherland fights
    And thats NOT what the Pro game is about, lets face it
    Which is why I said they're totally different :confused:

I prefer the amateur game myself. Have to laugh at someone saying amateur game is bent but then saying the pro game is better.

Each to their own though

• Advertisement

You could've at least waited until after the Nevin and Sutherland fights

doh!!! jinxed them now!

actually Ouradi aint bad - and Kassel is decent enough as well. I meant of the ones that have already fought (hopefully thats enough to undo the jinx!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

paper judging is the best way, the key is to use good judges, for years in ireland we had a number of judges who where almost blind, im not even joking saying that, 1 reffed aswell as judged and if he heard a loud slap he would count 1 boxer, remember slaps sound louder than clean shots, and it was not always the right boxer he'd count either, in theory he should of been kept out of the ring, but judges are hard to come by.

i was in the all irelands semi's in 04 i think and lost 25-24, my corner went mad as did most the stadium and they got the score sheet from the computer, i still have it now, 4 judges scored me winner of 3 rounds well and drawing 1, the other 1 judge gave me the draw round and him the other 3 rounds well! because i had only 4 judges scoring me properly i missed out on points, he got all he should have and more imo.

On paper this would have been an obvious win, he easily won the final and has the all ireland medal, in my heart i won that! but i dont have the medal to show the kids-:(

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

On paper this would have been an obvious win, he easily won the final and has the all ireland medal, in my heart i won that! but i dont have the medal to show the kids-:(

you'd only have sold it on eBay to pay for the rising cost of petrol! ;)

meant of the ones that have already fought (hopefully thats enough to undo the jinx!)

I agree BTW. Don't mind them having the places though (think the Olympics should have a geographical spread)

Africa won 3 medals in 2004 (all by Egypt)

Both systems were flawed, but I think paper was the best of the two and as Lee said in commentary after Dowling said that comps were the best, 'there is still an agenda with some of the judges and it's like the Eurovision,' exactly what I said myself. There's corruption and now those corrupting are simply using computer keypads... It is all HUMAN after all

I see that Qing beat Klyuchko 10:8 - did anyone see this - pretty interesting result on home soil for a man that was beaten 26:13 by the same fighter in last years worlds.

I see that Qing beat Klyuchko 10:8 - did anyone see this - pretty interesting result on home soil for a man that was beaten 26:13 by the same fighter in last years worlds.

I saw that fight- TOTAL ROBBERY.

The Chinese really are a disgusting lot.

At one point Klyuchko landed twice when he was 10-8 down and all of a sudden he was 11-9 down.

At one point Klyuchko landed twice when he was 10-8 down and all of a sudden he was 11-9 down.

i thought that this might happen in this fight - i'll watch it when I get home

Why are the Chinese a disgusting LOT?

Is there not five neutral judges and a neutral referee?

That's nothing to do with the Chinese

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM060510.shtml#BXM060510

The link above details this 'dodgy' bout

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

paper judging is the best way, the key is to use good judges, for years in ireland we had a number of judges who where almost blind, im not even joking saying that, 1 reffed aswell as judged and if he heard a loud slap he would count 1 boxer, remember slaps sound louder than clean shots, and it was not always the right boxer he'd count either, in theory he should of been kept out of the ring, but judges are hard to come by.

i was in the all irelands semi's in 04 i think and lost 25-24, my corner went mad as did most the stadium and they got the score sheet from the computer, i still have it now, 4 judges scored me winner of 3 rounds well and drawing 1, the other 1 judge gave me the draw round and him the other 3 rounds well! because i had only 4 judges scoring me properly i missed out on points, he got all he should have and more imo.

it wasnt larry ha ha, hard luck on that fight i know what it feels like , my bro got robbed in all ireland semi on countback when he was a kid only boxed one since that. its so hard on the young kids getting robbed, also my mate has beaten about eight irish champions never won a irish title himself and only lost four fight all at the stadium to other irish champions , weird eh.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Why are the Chinese a disgusting LOT?

Is there not five neutral judges and a neutral referee?

That's nothing to do with the Chinese

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM060510.shtml#BXM060510

The link above details this 'dodgy' bout

Thats right. The Chinese didn't see to it. The "NEUTRAL JUDGES" just saw it that way.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i thought that this might happen in this fight - i'll watch it when I get home

The Ukrainians were outraged- it was a crock of sh!t right from the get go- you could hear from the crowd that even they knew the Ukie was being jobbed, he was landing and nothing was happening.

At least their featherweight had a great win over a Russian.

I can see these Chinese cheating their way onto the podium yet.

Thats right. The Chinese didn't see to it. The "NEUTRAL JUDGES" just saw it that way.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So you are intimating collusion between the Chines and the boxing authorities?:rolleyes:

A little far fetched if I may say so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

jayroyal wrote: »
    it wasnt larry ha ha, hard luck on that fight i know what it feels like , my bro got robbed in all ireland semi on countback when he was a kid only boxed one since that. its so hard on the young kids getting robbed, also my mate has beaten about eight irish champions never won a irish title himself and only lost four fight all at the stadium to other irish champions , weird eh.

Larry-:) good old blind larry!

he was not involved as he was a dublin ref, they blotched out the names of the judges so we could not find out who scored badly, i got a note from the iaba saying it was a bad mistake, this got me into the irish squad at least!

The computers are awful for certain styles of fighters too, duran would of lost regularly on this system-:mad:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/boxing/7554560.stm

Biggest shock so far I think; on another note, I think Tischenko is a warm
    favorite since Gavin's departure at 60 kg

So you are intimating collusion between the Chines and the boxing authorities?:rolleyes:

well to be fair to HoC the Chinese fighters have been done some favours in terms of the scoring in the fights that I have seen, hence the reason that that result caught my eye. The judges seem pretty hesitant to score against them and eager to score for them.

Natural hometown bias or something more sinister - we'll never know!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/boxing/7554560.stm

Biggest shock so far I think; on another note, I think Tischenko is a warm
    favorite since Gavin's departure at 60 kg

not a shock at all really imo - they had a very close final in the worlds last year.

Qurbonov's win was a much bigger result (again imo) also I am a little biased cos I fancied Qurbonov for a medal

I know well that usually the home nation does exert an influence, but it is simply because it is the home nation. I expect that to a degree; but I can't really believe that there is actual collusion. By that token, if Ireland staged the games, are we a disgusting LOT because maybe a result or two goes our way?

On the shock result, I was more implying the fact that the loser was the WC and EC. I can fully undersatnd that it was a tough hard fight and both were capable of victory.

Can you detail a little the Qurbonov result? What weight and what accomplishments preceded the games with him, and who did he beat?

Thats right, the Chinese would never try to queer the pitch!! They are on the level.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know well that usually the home nation does exert an influence, but it is simply because it is the home nation. I expect that to a degree; but I can't really believe that there is actual collusion. By that token, if Ireland staged the games, are we a disgusting LOT because maybe a result or two goes our way?

On the shock result, I was more implying the fact that the loser was the WC and EC. I can fully undersatnd that it was a tough hard fight and both were capable of victory.

Can you detail a little the Qurbonov result? What weight and what accomplishments preceded the games with him, and who did he beat?

Jahon Qurbonov also known as Dzhakhon Kurbanov beat regining World champion Abbos Atoev 11:3 in the LH division. Out boxed Atoev and hopefully will bring home some bacon for me but he's in the hard side of the draw as opposed to our Kenneth!

Jahon Qurbonov also known as Dzhakhon Kurbanov beat regining World champion Abbos Atoev 11:3 in the LH division. Out boxed Atoev and hopefully will bring home some bacon for me but he's in the hard side of the draw as opposed to our Kenneth!

Did you see the Russian vs Ukrainian Featherweight? The Russian {Albert Selimov or something} is the reigning European and World Champ but the Ukrainian suckered him into a close range fight and outworked him, then ran for the last round. He showboated like a good thing.

He's the favourite now for a Gold, Chinese will probably rob him too.

Did you see the Russian vs Ukrainian Featherweight? The Russian {Albert Selimov or something} is the reigning European and World Champ but the Ukrainian suckered him into a close range fight and outworked him, then ran for the last round. He showboated like a good thing.

He's the favourite now for a Gold, Chinese will probably rob him too.

caught about a minute and a half of it as I passed through reception - will watch all the fights tonight - thank foook for the BBC and the red button service - do ye get that in Ireland or is it only over here?

caught about a minute and a half of it as I passed through reception - will watch all the fights tonight - thank foook for the BBC and the red button service - do ye get that in Ireland or is it only over here?

We ahave it too. Also RTE show all the boxing on the internet (without commentary too :) )

We ahave it too. Also RTE show all the boxing on the internet (without commentary too :) )

good I am glad yer not missin out.

I reckon once the prelims are over then the quality of fights should really improve.

Saw that bout and wasn't overly impressed at all with Atoev

Hero, you are not reading my posts. I said I can understand the home nation exerting an influence because it is the home nation, but you are implying that actual collusion is taking place. This, I believe, is nonsense

• Advertisement

Some more Irish times confirmed. Times are Irish, not local Beijing times

Thursday
    09.15 Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey)
    13.00 Joyce v Felix Diaz (Dominican Republic)

Saturday
    08.45 Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria)
    12.00 Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador)

Are they the next fights?.... none before that?

Nevin is on tomorrow in the 54 kg division at about 2pm Irish time. His session begins at 12 Irish time; but he is close to the end of the session, so 2 pm is about right.

See link below for schedule on all events in Olympics

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

His listed time is exactly 14.30 Irish time, or 21:30 China time

Nah...red button and the BBC all the way down here too. Thank God is right!!! Its actually an exceptionally good service. One draw back is you never quite know who is due up next but I watch it anyways cos I would watch two dogs fight.:pac:

Nevin is on tomorrow in the 54 kg division at about 2pm Irish time. His session begins at 12 Irish time; but he is close to the end of the session, so 2 pm is about right.

See link below for schedule on all events in Olympics

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/Schedule/BX.shtml

His listed time is exactly 14.30 Irish time, or 21:30 China time

Nice one- My guess is that the BBC will have him on at that time- I'll just record the whole session if I am not around.

Are they the next fights?.... none before that?

Sorry, they were the next times to be confirmed. I posted earlier with the ones already confirmed

Nevin is due to fight at 2.15pm (Irish time)

• Advertisement
Advertisement