Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fishal Olympics Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

The scoring system is the best there is. Seriously, can nobody remember how bad things were before hand.

+1

Anyone talking of going back to the 'paper' judging should try to remember why it was changed in the first place !! It was farcial in the extreme !!

Someone mentioned how NOW it's all subjective ??? No it's not. If you see a punch being landed you press a button. If you don't you don't. In the bad old days you got extreme subjectivity. Not alone was the fella going forward often rewarded for simply doing that, but completely non-boxing crap like your place of origin, etc. often came into it.

The computer system may not be perfect, but at least the right man tends to get the decision most of the time, unlike before.

Congrats to Ken Egan and JJ Joyce on two excellent performances. Hopefully it's a good sign of the Irish team's preparation as a whole.

Some more Irish times confirmed. Times are Irish, not local Beijing times

Thursday
    09.15 Egan v Bahram Muzaffer (Turkey)
    13.00 Joyce v Felix Diaz (Dominican Republic)

Saturday
    08.45 Sutherland v Nabil Kassel (Algeria)
    12.00 Barnes v Jose Luis Meza (Ecuador)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Valentino v Ugas in the next round of the lightweights on Friday - best fight of the tournie yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Best fight for me was Bradley Saunders laying out that African Kid.

The African came bopping out on his ring walk like he was at a Fifty-Cent concert. He didn't look like he was paying attention at all.:eek:

Its refreshing to see some old school body-shot stoppages.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Why not?

Because its still boxing, at the end of the day.

These bureaucrats have reduced it to a state of padded arm-fencing.

And thats NOT what the Pro game is about, lets face it.

Dump the head guards, bring back 3-3's, and have 7 judges scoring on a 10-point-must.

Also- ban all the Central Asian judges cos they are BENT.

Best fight for me was Bradley Saunders laying out that African Kid.

The African came bopping out on his ring walk like he was at a Fifty-Cent concert. He didn't look like he was paying attention at all.:eek:

Its refreshing to see some old school body-shot stoppages.

yeah it was an interesting one alright - Saunders leave himself wide open but the African boys did not like the Micky Ward style left hooks to the body (later claimed they were fouls for being low)

Anyone noticed that body shots arnt really being scored by the judges - which I find dissapointing

***WARNING - POTENTIALLY RASH GENERALISATION***

The African boxers have been shiote - and they get too many places in the Olympics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyone noticed that body shots arnt really being scored by the judges - which I find dissapointing
    Yea I noticed that alright. The thing with the scoring as well is if a guy gets in 2 or 3 clean shots, he'll only get a single point for it. If a lead is built up that makes it very difficult for a guy to come back

***WARNING - POTENTIALLY RASH GENERALISATION***

The African boxers have been shiote - and they get too many places in the Olympics!!

You could've at least waited until after the Nevin and Sutherland fights
    And thats NOT what the Pro game is about, lets face it
    Which is why I said they're totally different :confused:

I prefer the amateur game myself. Have to laugh at someone saying amateur game is bent but then saying the pro game is better.

Each to their own though

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    You could've at least waited until after the Nevin and Sutherland fights

doh!!! jinxed them now!

actually Ouradi aint bad - and Kassel is decent enough as well. I meant of the ones that have already fought (hopefully thats enough to undo the jinx!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

paper judging is the best way, the key is to use good judges, for years in ireland we had a number of judges who where almost blind, im not even joking saying that, 1 reffed aswell as judged and if he heard a loud slap he would count 1 boxer, remember slaps sound louder than clean shots, and it was not always the right boxer he'd count either, in theory he should of been kept out of the ring, but judges are hard to come by.

i was in the all irelands semi's in 04 i think and lost 25-24, my corner went mad as did most the stadium and they got the score sheet from the computer, i still have it now, 4 judges scored me winner of 3 rounds well and drawing 1, the other 1 judge gave me the draw round and him the other 3 rounds well! because i had only 4 judges scoring me properly i missed out on points, he got all he should have and more imo.

On paper this would have been an obvious win, he easily won the final and has the all ireland medal, in my heart i won that! but i dont have the medal to show the kids-:(

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    On paper this would have been an obvious win, he easily won the final and has the all ireland medal, in my heart i won that! but i dont have the medal to show the kids-:(

you'd only have sold it on eBay to pay for the rising cost of petrol! ;)

meant of the ones that have already fought (hopefully thats enough to undo the jinx!)

I agree BTW. Don't mind them having the places though (think the Olympics should have a geographical spread)

Africa won 3 medals in 2004 (all by Egypt)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Both systems were flawed, but I think paper was the best of the two and as Lee said in commentary after Dowling said that comps were the best, 'there is still an agenda with some of the judges and it's like the Eurovision,' exactly what I said myself. There's corruption and now those corrupting are simply using computer keypads... It is all HUMAN after all

I see that Qing beat Klyuchko 10:8 - did anyone see this - pretty interesting result on home soil for a man that was beaten 26:13 by the same fighter in last years worlds.

I see that Qing beat Klyuchko 10:8 - did anyone see this - pretty interesting result on home soil for a man that was beaten 26:13 by the same fighter in last years worlds.

I saw that fight- TOTAL ROBBERY.

The Chinese really are a disgusting lot.

At one point Klyuchko landed twice when he was 10-8 down and all of a sudden he was 11-9 down.

At one point Klyuchko landed twice when he was 10-8 down and all of a sudden he was 11-9 down.

i thought that this might happen in this fight - i'll watch it when I get home

Why are the Chinese a disgusting LOT?

Is there not five neutral judges and a neutral referee?

That's nothing to do with the Chinese

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM060510.shtml#BXM060510

The link above details this 'dodgy' bout

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

cowzerp wrote: »
    paper judging is the best way, the key is to use good judges, for years in ireland we had a number of judges who where almost blind, im not even joking saying that, 1 reffed aswell as judged and if he heard a loud slap he would count 1 boxer, remember slaps sound louder than clean shots, and it was not always the right boxer he'd count either, in theory he should of been kept out of the ring, but judges are hard to come by.

i was in the all irelands semi's in 04 i think and lost 25-24, my corner went mad as did most the stadium and they got the score sheet from the computer, i still have it now, 4 judges scored me winner of 3 rounds well and drawing 1, the other 1 judge gave me the draw round and him the other 3 rounds well! because i had only 4 judges scoring me properly i missed out on points, he got all he should have and more imo.

it wasnt larry ha ha, hard luck on that fight i know what it feels like , my bro got robbed in all ireland semi on countback when he was a kid only boxed one since that. its so hard on the young kids getting robbed, also my mate has beaten about eight irish champions never won a irish title himself and only lost four fight all at the stadium to other irish champions , weird eh.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Why are the Chinese a disgusting LOT?

Is there not five neutral judges and a neutral referee?

That's nothing to do with the Chinese

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BX/C73/BXM060510.shtml#BXM060510

The link above details this 'dodgy' bout

Thats right. The Chinese didn't see to it. The "NEUTRAL JUDGES" just saw it that way.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i thought that this might happen in this fight - i'll watch it when I get home

The Ukrainians were outraged- it was a crock of sh!t right from the get go- you could hear from the crowd that even they knew the Ukie was being jobbed, he was landing and nothing was happening.

At least their featherweight had a great win over a Russian.

I can see these Chinese cheating their way onto the podium yet.

Thats right. The Chinese didn't see to it. The "NEUTRAL JUDGES" just saw it that way.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So you are intimating collusion between the Chines and the boxing authorities?:rolleyes:

A little far fetched if I may say so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

jayroyal wrote: »
    it wasnt larry ha ha, hard luck on that fight i know what it feels like , my bro got robbed in all ireland semi on countback when he was a kid only boxed one since that. its so hard on the young kids getting robbed, also my mate has beaten about eight irish champions never won a irish title himself and only lost four fight all at the stadium to other irish champions , weird eh.

Larry-:) good old blind larry!

he was not involved as he was a dublin ref, they blotched out the names of the judges so we could not find out who scored badly, i got a note from the iaba saying it was a bad mistake, this got me into the irish squad at least!

The computers are awful for certain styles of fighters too, duran would of lost regularly on this system-:mad:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/boxing/7554560.stm

Biggest shock so far I think; on another note, I think Tischenko is a warm
    favorite since Gavin's departure at 60 kg

So you are intimating collusion between the Chines and the boxing authorities?:rolleyes:

well to be fair to HoC the Chinese fighters have been done some favours in terms of the scoring in the fights that I have seen, hence the reason that that result caught my eye. The judges seem pretty hesitant to score against them and eager to score for them.

Natural hometown bias or something more sinister - we'll never know!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/boxing/7554560.stm

Biggest shock so far I think; on another note, I think Tischenko is a warm
    favorite since Gavin's departure at 60 kg

not a shock at all really imo - they had a very close final in the worlds last year.

Qurbonov's win was a much bigger result (again imo) also I am a little biased cos I fancied Qurbonov for a medal

I know well that usually the home nation does exert an influence, but it is simply because it is the home nation. I expect that to a degree; but I can't really believe that there is actual collusion. By that token, if Ireland staged the games, are we a disgusting LOT because maybe a result or two goes our way?

On the shock result, I was more implying the fact that the loser was the WC and EC. I can fully undersatnd that it was a tough hard fight and both were capable of victory.

Can you detail a little the Qurbonov result? What weight and what accomplishments preceded the games with him, and who did he beat?

Thats right, the Chinese would never try to queer the pitch!! They are on the level.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know well that usually the home nation does exert an influence, but it is simply because it is the home nation. I expect that to a degree; but I can't really believe that there is actual collusion. By that token, if Ireland staged the games, are we a disgusting LOT because maybe a result or two goes our way?

On the shock result, I was more implying the fact that the loser was the WC and EC. I can fully undersatnd that it was a tough hard fight and both were capable of victory.

Can you detail a little the Qurbonov result? What weight and what accomplishments preceded the games with him, and who did he beat?

Jahon Qurbonov also known as Dzhakhon Kurbanov beat regining World champion Abbos Atoev 11:3 in the LH division. Out boxed Atoev and hopefully will bring home some bacon for me but he's in the hard side of the draw as opposed to our Kenneth!

Advertisement