Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoinc

I paid €99 for it on a 12 month €35 a month contract with Meteor.

Did you have to haggle to get that price? Website says E159 for smart35

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

zoinc wrote: »

I was expecting to pay €159 as i seen it online before i went to the shop for it and was pleasantly surprised when i got it for €100

EDIT: meant to say i'm on smart 35 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BenEadir wrote: »
    All,

I am getting desperate and really need some help. About a week ago I started getting "download unsuccessful" from The Market and despite contacting Vodafone Data Support and Samsung smartphone support neither have been able to help me and neither accept responsibility for the "The Market App" as it's not theirs. In fairness Vodafone provide the network and I'm able to use the internet, get emails etc but I was disappointed with Samsungs 'support' as they really weren't interested as it was a Samsung app.

I'm able to download apps from the Samsung app site no problem but every single app I try and download or update from The Market fails to download.

What's happening is a follows:-

- I open The Market as normal and select an app to download.
    - The Market App shows me the summary of the app and the two screen shots, reviews etc
    - I click the install button and it displays the screen informing you what the app will have access to etc
    - I click "OK" and the appreturns to the homepage with a notification that "your item will be downloaded".
    - The little download icon with the red arrow appears in the top notification bar
    - When I roll down the notification bar there is a notification saying "download unsuccessful"

This happens for every single app I've tried to download over the past week and it's doing my head in.

I thought it might be because I have too many apps downloaded or my storage was full but I don't think that can be the case. My external 8gb SD card is indeed full but I don't expect that's where apps are downloaded to and it only filled up yesterday when I took a few movies in amazing HD!!! The internal SD card is reporting 5.67gb of abailable space and the internal phone storage is reporting 1.64 in available space.

I also tried deleting a few previously downloaded apps in case I'd reached some sort of limit but that didn't make any difference either.

So that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? I looked at this support thread (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=3429edcf82450530&hl=en&start=120) and it seems people have been having this exact problem the world over on all kinds of different Android phones for ages and no one has a solution!!

I bought the Galaxy based on the package of hardware and software they advertised i.e. "access to over 80,000 apps on The Market". I am not getting access to those apps and despite this being a known issue for over a month no one has identified why some people experience this problem or come up with a solution so am I entitled to a refund and/or replacement at my discretion?

I bought the Galaxy from the Carphone Warehouse, does anyone know what they are like support wise for issues like this?

I'd much prefer to get The Market app back working but if I can't I'm seriously tempted to ditch Android and switch to you know who!!!

Ben

All, the guys over on XDA (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656) confirmed the solution is as follows:

- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage App > Options > Filter > All
    Clear the cache for:
    - Download manager
    - Market
    - Market Updater

Shut down then turn on your phone, and try to use the market. This did the trick for me but if for some reason it doesn't work for you then apparently the alternative is to do the following:

- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage App >
    If you see there an app called market; uninstall it. It is just an update don't worry you will be able to use is after it.

I haven't done the latter so do so at your own risk. I can say the former worked a treat.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoinc

t.henno66 wrote: »
    I was expecting to pay €159 as i seen it online before i went to the shop for it and was pleasantly surprised when i got it for €100

EDIT: meant to say i'm on smart 35 too

That's great.Do you mind if I ask you which store you went to or do you think it's that way in all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

I went into CPW in Rathmines and it's 99 euro on Meteor at either the 30 euro / 18 month or 35 euro / 12 month plan.

I'm pretty much convinced to get one, I have an iPhone 3G and was looking at the iPhone 4 but this phone looks like a contender, and at a lower cost.

The only thing I'm getting from my research is that the phone is slightly laggy out of the box (on 2.1) but a root/flash to 2.2 JP3 (still learning the lingo) seems to work a treat. Also it seems relatively easy to go to JP3.

Is there anything wrong with my logic? If not I'm going to grab one tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I flashed it to I9000XXJP3, but had to switch back to I9000XXJP2 to get the Adobe Flash working.. Can anyone confirm if Adobe Flash 10.1 works on the latest firmware - I9000XXJP3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just got my galaxy on sat for 130 on 02 advance 150 silver upgrade in cpw.

Total newbie here so any advice what should be downloaded etc.

Also is there another app for the maps instead of google maps?
    Does sky sports have a match centre app?

wil be glue to this forum now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I got my SGS last week and have been playing with it since then. I am very happy with it, though I agree that the battery life can be quite short with intensive use - not surprising considering the screen size and many CPU intensive stuff that you can do.

I am on O2, new sub, Advance 150.

I haven't rooted it yet.

As for favourite apps so far:

Tools:
    - Eircom WEP (to test the security of MY home network, of course :D )
    - PAW server - control and enter text into you SGS from a PC over a web interface (it is still being developed, but neat)
    - Android VNC - control your PC from your phone
    - Network Info
    - Battery Indicator
    - Vingo Voice - really cool voice control. e.g, say "TEXT Mary Let's go to the movies" and all you have to do is press send
    - Call Meter NG - keep an eye on your usage
    - ES Task Manager
    - ES File Explorer
    - Astro (file manager)
    - DynDNS - though I didn't get it to work over O2 due to proxy (?)

Comms & Social
    - K2 - send webtext from your mobile account for free
    - Social hub
    - Talk (Google)
    - Four Square
    - Yelp
    - Twitter

Media
    - Gallery (pre-installed)
    - .podcast
    - Listen
    - XBMC Remote (you need XBMC on your PC, of course)
    - SqueezeDroid (if you have a Squeezebox)
    - Dublin traffic
    - TV Guide
    - Photo Illusion

Shopping
    -Barcode Scanner
    - Pkt Auctions (Ebay)

Maps & Nav
    - Maps (pre installed)
    - Yelp
    - Goggles
    - Latitude
    - Places
    - Navigation

Other
    - IMDB
    - Bubble
    - Wifi Analyzer
    - GPS status
    - GDocs (Google Docs)

I am trying out a few other ones, but no feedback worth sharing yet.

What about you, what are your favourites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The apps Im using the most are:
    Acast podcast app
    Mixzing player
    Touiteur. , excellent Twitter app
    Home switcher
    Open home
    Home pipe for accessing my home pc or Mac from anywhere.
    One click contact
    Cabbage for sending webtexts.

Is vingo voice a paid app?
    I'll have to swap sims again if so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Is there any app that allows you to make calls over wifi similar to Skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Is there any app that allows you to make calls over wifi similar to Skype?

fring..esp if you set up a SIP account with e.g. Freespeech.ie or Blueface.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Is vingo voice a paid app?
    I'll have to swap sims again if so

No, it's free. Check it out.

Review on CNET: http://androidandme.com/2010/06/applications/vlingo-for-android-gives-users-full-voice-control-over-their-android-phone-giveaway/

And download site: http://www.vlingo.com/

BTW, sorry for the misspelling, it is vlingo, not vingo :p

Zynks wrote: »
    No, it's free. Check it out.

Review on CNET: http://androidandme.com/2010/06/applications/vlingo-for-android-gives-users-full-voice-control-over-their-android-phone-giveaway/

And download site: http://www.vlingo.com/

BTW, sorry for the misspelling, it is vlingo, not vingo :p

Explains why I couldn't find it :)

Thanks.

It wouldnt download for me, any one else have this issue, talking about vlingo.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

zoinc wrote: »
    Nope i just asked how much it was and was told 99.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

It wouldnt download for me, any one else have this issue, talking about vlingo.

Thanks

I couldn't download it either. Keeps saying the app doesn't exist. I even went to the Vlingo website and tried the Android market link from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

It's in Samsung Apps

mathew wrote: »
    It's in Samsung Apps

And so it is. :o

Does anyone know a good app for downloading the premier league line ups and scores?

When i activated sky sports live centre, it said i didnt have correct version of supoprted flash, then i click on download and borught me to adobe but they dont support it.

I thought the samsung is ment to support flash, is it an primitive version of flash it supports? Can i download the latest version seomwhere???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

When i activated sky sports live centre, it said i didnt have correct version of supoprted flash, then i click on download and borught me to adobe but they dont support it.

I thought the samsung is ment to support flash, is it an primitive version of flash it supports? Can i download the latest version seomwhere???
    The Galaxy S runs 2.1. You need to be running Android 2.2 to have Flash 10.1 support.

If you root your phone and install a rooted 2.2 ROM it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hey guys, really thinking of getting one of these, Samsung Jet is getting on my nerves sometimes.
    So, bill pay on Vodafone available or should I buy it sim free online and stay payg?

Also has anyone tried the Snesoid emulator with super mario world on it?
    How are the controls?
    thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone know if these puppies come unlocked from Meteor on BillPay or if it's a big hassle to unlock them if they are locked ?

Cheers

The Galaxy S runs 2.1. You need to be running Android 2.2 to have Flash 10.1 support.

If you root your phone and install a rooted 2.2 ROM it should work.

What does root your phone mean and can i do damage to the software on the phone doing this?

What does root your phone mean and can i do damage to the software on the phone doing this?
    If you dont know what it is, dont do it..
    for your information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superuser

Just becoming the super user of the system and installing an update to the OS, grand done that loads before on linux.

But how do you do it on the galaxy. Instructions anywhere on how to upgrade it to android 2.2

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just becoming the super user of the system and installing an update to the OS, grand done that loads before on linux.

But how do you do it on the galaxy. Instructions anywhere on how to upgrade it to android 2.2

Thanks

I think you give any apps you install to your phone superuser access too.

L'prof wrote: »
    No, you have to approve superuser access individualy for each app. You can tell it to remember your choice tho so it will only ask once for each app.
    It should be used with caution. Only apps that need SU access for a reason you understand should be given it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mathew wrote: »
    No, you have to approve superuser access individualy for each app. You can tell it to remember your choice tho so it will only ask once for each app.
    It should be used with caution. Only apps that need SU access for a reason you understand should be given it.

Ah right, that's not so bad at all then.

• Advertisement

Only reason i want to this is so i can get skysports live centre to work with flash. As the poster said above i need android 2.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

L'prof wrote: »
    On my rooted Desire, if an app actually needs root access, the system asks you if you want to grant the app root access. Can't see why it would be different on the Galaxy.

Edit: too late :p

long_b wrote: »
    Does anyone know if these puppies come unlocked from Meteor on BillPay or if it's a big hassle to unlock them if they are locked ?

Cheers
    Mine came unlocked.

Mine came unlocked.

Thanks for the reply - when did you get it ?

Anyone else ?

About 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

hi guys and gals can anyone tell me how to mount my sd on to my mac thanks in advance

Hootanany wrote: »
    hi guys and gals can anyone tell me how to mount my sd on to my mac thanks in advance

Before you plug it in, go to settings -> applications ->development and turn on usb debugging.

Plug it into the mac and ignore any messages on the mac about detecting a modem.

On the phone, you'll see a notification on the task bar saying that usb is inserted. From the home screen, press the menu button, choose notification and in the list you'll see an item stating usb connected "select to copy files..."
    Select that and choose mount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Can't be sure (I have the desire) but I guess it is similar.

You connect the phone via usb - it probably defaults to "Charge Only". If you click the usb icon in the notification bar, then you can select "disk drive" which should mount the sd card.

Doing so will disable it in the phone so any apps that are on it won't be available for use etc while connected as a disk.

<edit> seeing as I am slow typing, I'll only add that I didn't enable usb debugging for it to show up in finder </edit>

On the phone, you'll see a notification on the task bar saying that usb is inserted. From the home screen, press the menu button, choose notification and in the list you'll see an item stating usb connected "select to copy files..."

Done the first bit but cant find the menu button any chance of help been at this since 8 this morning

• Advertisement

Done the first bit but cant find the menu button any chance of help been at this since 8 this morning

It's the touch button on the bottom left corner of the phone.

It's the touch button on the bottom left corner of the phone.

Write a message is all that comes up for me as in the keyboard sorry for being thick on this

Write a message is all that comes up for me as in the keyboard sorry for being thick on this

Instead of the list button you can drag the notifications down as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T89Eq-kdo9o

Instead of the list button you can drag the notifications down as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T89Eq-kdo9o

Cheers finally got it to mount you are a life saver now to find the pc suite for mac do i just drag it across when downloaded

Cheers finally got it to mount you are a life saver now to find the pc suite for mac do i just drag it across when downloaded

Took me a while to get it working myself. In the end I found the last step (manually mounting) on a guide for another samsung phone. I don't use a suite app for the mac. I just drag the files over to the folders. In fact, if you use the app ES file explorer, you can connect to you mac over the wireless network and copy files directly to the phone without using the usb at all.

Move over Jet, hello Galaxy S, picked one up in Carphone Warehouse today on Meteor, €99.99, woo!

Where do you buy anti-drool protectors for the screen guys? :D

• Advertisement

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Move over Jet, hello Galaxy S, picked one up in Carphone Warehouse today on Meteor, €99.99, woo!

Where do you buy anti-drool protectors for the screen guys? :D

Can you tell if it's unlocked please - can you use non- Meteor SIM cards in it ?

The guy in CPW said to use my Vodafone one until the Meteor one was activated so I think it is, I'll try with another sim tomorrow and make sure.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    The guy in CPW said to use my Vodafone one until the Meteor one was activated so I think it is, I'll try with another sim tomorrow and make sure.

It's unlocked so - cool !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Three appear to have the SGS in stock.

WOW........
    I like this phone alot :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement