Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

patch11 wrote: »
    You should check out the video on youtube comparing quake 2 running on desire compared to sgs ;)
    All thats needed is someone to port controls over from toonwars.
    I still dream of Halflife getting ported, a game with less shooting and more puzzles would work pretty well on a 4 inch screen IMO.
    Erm, did you read my post?

Quake 2 cannot be used as a benchmark between the two. It has major issues with the Nexus One and Desire. On some ROMs it can get ingame but there are major issues with Textures and lighting. For example, Quake 2 doesn't even get to the main menu on my current Desire ROM.

A fairer comparison would be Quake 3 (Which is even more demanding). That runs as smooth as butter on my Desire and i'd imagine it's the same on the Nexus One.

As for emulators like the PSX or N64 emulator, they won't be taking advantage of GPU acceleration so it's performance will be entirely based on the CPU. The Cortex A8 used in the Galaxy S is actually slower than the Snapdragon used in the Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Erm, did you read my post?

Quake 2 cannot be used as a benchmark between the two. It has major issues with the Nexus One and Desire. On some ROMs it can get ingame but there are major issues with Textures and lighting. For example, Quake 2 doesn't even get to the main menu on my current Desire ROM.

A fairer comparison would be Quake 3 (Which is even more demanding). That runs as smooth as butter on my Desire and i'd imagine it's the same on the Nexus One.

As for emulators like the PSX or N64 emulator, they won't be taking advantage of GPU acceleration so it's performance will be entirely based on the CPU. The Cortex A8 used in the Galaxy S is actually slower than the Snapdragon used in the Desire.

Erm, your post mentioned the desire doesnt run quake 2 well. I directed you to a video of quake 2 running quite well on a desire. Also running a lot better on an sgs.
    The fairer comaprison you mention is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpP5QljEqow
    I dont quite understand why people post claiming that a better graphics chip isnt a good thing. Its certainly not a bad thing and is likely going to give me playable quake. :)

Erm, your post mentioned the desire doesnt run quake 2 well. I directed you to a video of quake 2 running quite well on a desire. Also running a lot better on an sgs.
    The fairer comaprison you mention is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpP5QljEqow
    I dont quite understand why people post claiming that a better graphics chip isnt a good thing. Check outIts certainly not a bad thing and is likely going to give me playable quake. :)
    I said it can get ingame on some ROMs. The Desire being used there has a ROM that works with the Quake 2 port but as you can see there are issues with that port across every Desire/Nexus One ROM. Some can't get ingame and those that do have poor performance. And besides, the "fairer" comparison is Quake 3. Not a buggy Quake 2 port.

Quake 3 on the Nexus One.

I said it can get ingame on some ROMs. The Desire being used there has a ROM that works with the Quake 2 port but as you can see there are issues with that port across every Desire/Nexus One ROM. Some can't get ingame and those that do have poor performance. And besides, the "fairer" comparison is Quake 3. Not a buggy Quake 2 port.

Quake 3 on the Nexus One.

My apologies!, wrong link :)
    I knew I had seen a comparison, the 3 in the youtube title threw me. Here's a comparison:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/50507-galaxy-s-thrashes-nexus-one-in-quake-3-duel

That trackball comes in handy! Hopefully the sgs will get decent touch controls. Still, the demo looking that nice is a very good starting point.

My apologies!, wrong link :)
    I knew I had seen a comparison, the 3 in the youtube title threw me. Here's a comparison:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/50507-galaxy-s-thrashes-nexus-one-in-quake-3-duel

That trackball comes in handy! Hopefully the sgs will get decent touch controls. Still, the demo looking that nice is a very good starting point.
    That isn't "thrashing" by any means. The only reason the Galaxy S' gameplay looks smoother is because of the recording quality. It's focused, well lit and recorded perfectly with a high quality camera. The Nexus One recording is at a distance, unfocused and is being filmed with a poorer camera in poorer lighting conditions.

In reality, the Desire / Nexus One is just as smooth as the Galaxy S.

• Advertisement

That isn't "thrashing" by any means. The only reason the Galaxy S' gameplay looks smoother is because of the recording quality. It's focused, well lit and recorded perfectly with a high quality camera. The Nexus One recording is at a distance, unfocused and is being filmed with a poorer camera in poorer lighting conditions.

In reality, the Desire / Nexus One is just as smooth as the Galaxy S.

Thats just your opinion, I expect a faster gpu to run it better. Im sure we'll see a direct comparison running the demo on both soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What's worrying about this thread, is that we now can see not just the traditional iphone/android fanboy; but a break down to manufacturer fanboyism within Android. It was inevitable, but it's non the less depressing when you see how pitiful some of the arguments here are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

What's worrying about this thread, is that we now can see not just the traditional iphone/android fanboy; but a break down to manufacturer fanboyism within Android. It was inevitable, but it's non the less depressing when you see how pitiful some of the arguments here are.

I was thinking about that myself especially when you see how close the specs are on these two phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I think you're right. Given the specs of all the high end android phones currently available, it doesn't make a huge difference which phone you plug for. There is root and custom ROMs available for all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

droidman wrote: »
    Does anybody have the settings for this phone so i can send/receive MMS? I've tried the settings from Meteors site and by googling and they don't work. Meteor don't know them for this phone since it's so new but in fairness to them they tried to help anyway and the standard ones don't seem to work.
    cheers
    Im guessing here by matching the settings from here to fields on my phone:
    Name: MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: my
    Password: mms
    Server: not set
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie/
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS Port: 9201
    Authenticatioin type: None
    APN type: MMS

Let me know if they work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My missus got one of these tonight and it is a seriously impressive piece of kit.

YouTube videos etc look unreal on that screen and it's very easy to use/customise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

mathew wrote: »
    Im guessing here by matching the settings from here to fields on my phone:
    Name: MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Server: not set
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie/
    MMS Port: 9201
    Authenticatioin type: None
    APN type: MMS

Let me know if they work :)

Thanks but it still just sits there - have you a Galaxy S as well then and it works for you? That's a different port to the default one so I thought it might work - It's driving me mad I can't work it out:D

I've a galaxy s but I'm on 3.
    Stick the mmsc value in the server slot too and see what happens.
    The other thing I'm not site about is the proxy. It was the only place I could see the ip assess working.
    Settings for 3 are a lot simpler I think

Meteor sell the desire tho, give them a ring and ask for settings for android, or find a nice person in a desire thread who's on meteor that might be able to give you the settings. They should be identical on all android phones.

Try this:
    APN: mms.meteor.ie
    Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    Port: 8799
    Server: http://mms.meteor.ie
    MMSC: http://mms.meteor.ie
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    APN type: mms

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

After two days of dicking around, I finally have the handset in a state that I am happy with.

Actually have a strange problem.

When I get a text message, a the normal yellow envelope appears in the notification bar. I drag down the notification bar and read the text message. However, if I just press the menu key to exit the messaging application, the yellow envelope stays there. However, if I exit out using the back key, the yellow envelope disappears.

As of about 10 mins ago, when I get a SMS, I now get the yellow envelope and a second white envelope about 2 seconds later. The white envelope will only disappear when I press the Clear button in the Notifications bar.

Really starting to piss me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How is the camera on this? The Desire is ****e.

Camera is really good in good light. There is no flash tho so poor l lighting lets it down. 720p video is pretty cool!

@jesus_thats_gre I found that too with the stock app. I'm now using handcent sms which is much much better than the stock app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

JustinOval wrote: »
    How is the camera on this? The Desire is ****e.

How so?

Baza210 wrote: »
    How so?

I just find it takes obviously-taken-on-a-phone type pictures, none I've taken have been of standard worth printing, the detail is poor, as is the colour. My old Tocco Ultra took fantastic pics.

• Advertisement

Hmm, after some reading I think I'll try a different ROM...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Try I9000XWJG5
    Its running very well for me here so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It looks quite choppy and unresponsive.

Im using this
    Pretty nice. Faster than stock too

Im using this
    Pretty nice. Faster than stock too

Using this also. Does seem to be faster alright.

Camera is really good in good light. There is no flash tho so poor l lighting lets it down. 720p video is pretty cool!

@jesus_thats_gre I found that too with the stock app. I'm now using handcent sms which is much much better than the stock app.

I have figured out what is causing the second icon to appear anyway. It was "Beautiful Widgets: Pack 2".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It seems this starts at 49 on o2 in Carphone. Anyone know what price it actually is on each of the different tariffs?

Anyone else using this on Vodafone? Lost my APNs when I flashed to a custom ROM and just can't get MMS working since. I tried setting up an individual MMS APN and a combined MMS and Internet APN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just got one put aside for me in the shop. Gonna pick it up after work on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

Anybody try the tv out function yet with a 3.5mm jack that splits into the red yellow and white at the other end? Tried 2 cables I have and i just get a scrambled pic - can barely make out some of the icons so I know there is a connection of some sort. Swapped the cabled around just in case yellow wasn't really yellow etc and no luck. Have a fairly modern tv (Samsung actually lol) and tried PAL or NTSC and still the same. Be nice if I could get it to work if anybody has managed it let me know if you've any tips?

Advertisement