Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I'm finding the stabily or lack of is becoming quite annoying. It's getting to the stage were I'm expecting to see the force close dialog everytime I start an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Not having any trouble with that at all. Vlingo Voice is crashing a fair bit on me.. But I never use it so I think I'll just uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was using mypod for podcasts and had to give up on it due to the crashes which was annoying because it has a great set of features. Using acast now which isn't as bad but crashes when I check the box in the settings to override the headset button. I also gave up on dolphin HD because it was too slow. Stock mail app crashes a Bit too and it's now giving me two notifications for each mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Have any of ye Galaxy S Users used the HTC Desire? Which would ye recommend between the two of them? Any major problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sooo,

iPhone 4 or HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

L'prof wrote: »
    Sooo,

iPhone 4 or HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S?
    In truth they are probbaly all good phones with some having slight advantages/disadvantages over the rest. They all have a fast os and touch screen and look nice and have so much potential do run whatever apps are made for it. Iphone 4 had a flash on the back (least i think it does?) so you'll get good photos inddors as well as HD video etc the other 2 don't have a flash and althought the Samsung s has good photos and video I think the Desire isnt as good. But it all depends what you want a phone to do as well as make calls and texts :)

I choose the Galaxy as coming from an iphone I was a bit tired of Apples strangelhold on what you could or couldnt do with the phone - you had to use itunes, never be flash support etc. Until I seen the galaxy I would have gotten a Desire if that helps - battery aint great on the samsung so that is an important consideration - i have to charge it every day or 2 depending on the useage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

droidman wrote: »
    Anybody try the tv out function yet with a 3.5mm jack that splits into the red yellow and white at the other end? Tried 2 cables I have and i just get a scrambled pic - can barely make out some of the icons so I know there is a connection of some sort. Swapped the cabled around just in case yellow wasn't really yellow etc and no luck. Have a fairly modern tv (Samsung actually lol) and tried PAL or NTSC and still the same. Be nice if I could get it to work if anybody has managed it let me know if you've any tips?
    If its a new Samsung TV ( 2010) use the smamsung all share app. Switch on wifi on tv and then phone and you can stream through wifi up onto your tv screen ..... its awesome!

If its a new Samsung TV ( 2010) use the smamsung all share app. Switch on wifi on tv and then phone and you can stream through wifi up onto your tv screen ..... its awesome!

Well I got it in 2008 so it doesn't have that feature but it's still modern enough so can't understand what I'm doing wrong unless my phone is not working correctly. Thanks for the tip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have my Galaxy S for a few weeks now and although I love the device (particularly the screen) I have two MAJOR issues

1. The signal strength is terrible. Where I was getting 4 and 5 bars on both Wi-fi and 3G on my old BlackBerry and other phones I'm only getting 1 or 2 bars on the Galaxy and sometimes no signal at all.

2. The battery life is shockingly poor. My last phone (BlackBerry 9700) had wi-fi, 3G and bluetooth permanently turned on and I got a good two days out of a single charge. I'm getting less than half a day (about 6 hours) out of a Galaxy charge before it drops to less than 20% and needs a recharge. The battery drains at an astonishing rate. I've installed various task killers etc and keep wi-fi and Bluetooth off but still no joy. I tried installing UltimateJuice which I thought would help manage the battery but it fails to install properly and crashes.

Has anyone any suggestions re imnproving the signal strength and battery length? Will Froyo help in this regard? Are there aftermarket batteries which are more powerful and will last longer?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BenEadir wrote: »
    1. The signal strength is terrible. Where I was getting 4 and 5 bars on both Wi-fi and 3G on my old BlackBerry and other phones I'm only getting 1 or 2 bars on the Galaxy and sometimes no signal at all.

I have noticed this myself. I haven't done anything about it yet though and it hasn't caused any problems yet, i.e. I always pick up a network when using the phone.
    BenEadir wrote: »
    2. The battery life is shockingly poor. My last phone (BlackBerry 9700) had wi-fi, 3G and bluetooth permanently turned on and I got a good two days out of a single charge. I'm getting less than half a day (about 6 hours) out of a Galaxy charge before it drops to less than 20% and needs a recharge. The battery drains at an astonishing rate. I've installed various task killers etc and keep wi-fi and Bluetooth off but still no joy. I tried installing UltimateJuice which I thought would help manage the battery but it fails to install properly and crashes.

I seem to be getting about the same as I was getting out of my N900, i.e. I get a full day and a bit.

I leave Wifi on all day in work, sync is running away with quite a few widgets and would make about an hour of calls and quite a few text messages throughout the the day.

• Advertisement

mathew wrote: »
    Try this:
    APN: mms.meteor.ie
    Proxy: 010.085.085.085
    Port: 8799
    Username: my
    Password: mms
    Server: http://mms.meteor.ie
    MMSC: http://mms.meteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    APN type: mms

Forgott to say I got this working in the end so thanks for your help.

Forgott to say I got this working in the end so thanks for your help.

Ah great stuff! Might be with posting what you did for others on future..

Is anyone having problems sending and receiving text messages with their SGS? I'm on Vodafone and some people I'm sending texts to don't reactive them at all and I'm not receiving some texts sent to me at all or they arrive hours late. Are Vodafone having a network issue at the moment or is it my new SGS device not working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is this only available in Carphone Warehouse at the moment or do the other shops have it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

In truth they are probbaly all good phones with some having slight advantages/disadvantages over the rest. They all have a fast os and touch screen and look nice and have so much potential do run whatever apps are made for it. Iphone 4 had a flash on the back (least i think it does?) so you'll get good photos inddors as well as HD video etc the other 2 don't have a flash and althought the Samsung s has good photos and video I think the Desire isnt as good. But it all depends what you want a phone to do as well as make calls and texts :)

I choose the Galaxy as coming from an iphone I was a bit tired of Apples strangelhold on what you could or couldnt do with the phone - you had to use itunes, never be flash support etc. Until I seen the galaxy I would have gotten a Desire if that helps - battery aint great on the samsung so that is an important consideration - i have to charge it every day or 2 depending on the useage!
    Just to clarify - the Desire does have a flash

Apparently we might be getting 2.2 tomorrow. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=737180

Hi Matthew,

It seems this site (http://www.samsung-firmware.webs.com) has the new 2.2 FROYO Samsung ROM.

If anyone can figure out how to actually download the file and flash it onto our nice new shiny SGS's please post a "How To" here. I've searched the site and can't figure out how to install the new 2.2 ROM.

I've flashed leaked and hybrid ROM's onto Blackberry devices in the past but haven't touched my SGS yet although the lag's I'm constantly getting combined with crap signal and battery performance (+ fairly poor GPS performance) and the fact I'm no longer able to download apps from The Market mean I am highly motivated to start from scratch again with FROYO.

Ben

You just flash it with odin. I'd say its quite unstable and buggy. Its a pre-alpha release or something...
    Flashing ect guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=723596

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shanemcl

Hi all,

I've a SGS running beta F/W JM2. The newer beta's have fixed the lag problems and there's improved power management. I was having when I got the phone. I have launcherpro running instead of touchwiz, but I like ADW, because as Samsung has rightly pointed out, scrolling apps windows horizontally; better orients the user and aids memory recall. So, the apple comparisons with samsungs touchwiz on those grounds aren't as straightforward as 'copying' their ideas.

Main annoyance I've had so far with the phone is the wifi signal isn't as strong as my old Nokia n95. Also, you only have the option of setting one proxy which is subsequently applied to all wifi connections. I mean WTF??

I'm also annoyed that 'Mobile tracker' isn't yet available for Irish users if the mobile is lost or stolen. Just be warned that (in any case) flashing the phones firmware whilst turned off resets everything including 'mobile tracker' and downloaded tracker apps. So, the clever smartphone criminal will have other means to ensure the phone is factory reset.

Samsung have confirmed that official Froyo update will be in September for European users, as earlier forum posts were spurious.

Essential custom Irish apps to have are 'Tv guide' and 'Text droid' for anyone interested. For those looking for really cool HD wallpapers, check out flikie.

Finally, overall, anyone I've shown the SGS to has been blown away by the screen. It's simply uncomparable with others. The fact that it's OLED also means that reading ebooks and viewing content outdoors is much easier on the eye. Yes, battery life kinda sucks. But it's a 4 inch screen. The screen generally consumes up to 80% of battery life when turned on, and it's the amongst the most efficient out there. 30% more efficient than comparable LCD's on the market. Yes the retina has higher res, but the figures are beyond the human eyes ability to detect them, so much of it is utterly pointly IMO.

Any thoughts corrections on the above much appreciated. Hope everyone is loving the SGS as I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Baza210 wrote: »

Now thats cool! I've actually been looking into PMP's that output a full hi-def signal. Score :D
    Delighted that froyo is out so early too. I guess those who had no faith in samsung releasing decent updates can now enjoy their humble pie. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shanemcl

xxjp3 with froyo now available and apparently its looking more like a beta this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

There have been a massive number of firmware updates for this phone, too many to even bother with. I upgraded with Modoco's 2.1 Custom ROM and haven't had the patience to do it again. Not with trying to sort out my contact links (google and facebook) and losing texts and what not. Just not worth it till a proper 2.2 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

There have been a massive number of firmware updates for this phone, too many to even bother with. I upgraded with Modoco's 2.1 Custom ROM and haven't had the patience to do it again. Not with trying to sort out my contact links (google and facebook) and losing texts and what not. Just not worth it till a proper 2.2 comes out.

SMS backup and restore from the market is a free app that does what it says on the tin, you can also schedule daily or weekly backups to microSD

It's not that difficult to refresh contacts if they're all on google -just takes 5mins for me if I have a wifi connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Well I've gotten my texts backed up to Gmail, its trying to Link my google contacts with my facebook contacts that's the problem now. I haven't found a way of backing that up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Can somebody please post a couple of sample pics taken on the Galaxy? ..and does anyone know what the CPW bill pay pricing is?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

I've just got this phone but i'm a complete novice. Where can i get apps and do i download them to my computer or straight to the phone.

Also how can i put music onto it :o

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Open the 'market' app for.. Apps will install directly to the phone.

To add music simply plug it in and select 'mass storage' mode, them drop your files into a folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

JustinOval wrote: »
    Open the 'market' app for.. Apps will install directly to the phone.

To add music simply plug it in and select 'mass storage' mode, them drop your files into a folder.

Ok will try now, are apps free

Advertisement