Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

t.henno66 wrote: »
    Ok will try now, are apps free

Yes. There are paid apps but they're not available in Ireland yet, don't worry though, the free apps are generally very good.

Try Google sky map, Shazam, Layar and barcode scanner for some fun. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes. There are paid apps but they're not available in Ireland yet, don't worry though, the free apps are generally very good.

Ok thanks, just one more question, does downloading and opening apps use up data

Ok thanks, just one more question, does downloading and opening apps use up data

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks

I'm just about to order a micro sd card, does it have to be a certain class, 20+ speed or transflash or can it just be standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Can somebody please post a couple of sample pics taken on the Galaxy? ..and does anyone know what the CPW bill pay pricing is?
    Cheers.
    I paid €99 for it on a 12 month €35 a month contract with Meteor.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Exactly what i got yesterday. Did you get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts thrown in free. I had to ring customer care whilst in the shop yesterday to haggle for them

nope i never asked :( I'll give them a ring and try get it. But i don't think i know anyone on meteor, but still something worth having if possible.

nope i never asked :( I'll give them a ring and try get it. But i don't think i know anyone on meteor, but still something worth having if possible.

Good luck

Do you know the answer to question below, ta

I'm just about to order a micro sd card, does it have to be a certain class, 20+ speed or transflash or can it just be standard

Sorry no, i haven't gotten a card yet, waiting for next pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Lad's can anyone confirm if there's a T9 keyboard in messaging or can you only use qwerty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Has anybody rooted their phone yet? If so, what are the benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

L'prof wrote: »

Yep. Its very easy to do. Great guide here. You can install many apps that require root access, access paid apps, apply the sdcard lag fix, use an ad blocker, take screenshots, install the froyo gallery. Many things. Google the benefit of rooting.
    eireal wrote: »
    Lad's can anyone confirm if there's a T9 keyboard in messaging or can you only use qwerty?

There is. There is also handwriting recognition and swype (which is QWERTY but much faster)
    Thanks

I bought a 16gb class 2 from mymemory.com and its working perfectly. I applied the mimocan sdcard lag fix using it and the phone is running like a dream. I'm getting quadrant scores of about 1600. Considering the Nexus 1 with froyo is getting scores of about 1250, and thats the phone below my result on the list, I'm very happy. The Galaxy S stock is coming in 4th with a score of about 800.
    Most cards will work fine. the only time you may notice a slight problem with a class 2 is if you are watching a full hd video on the device from the memory card...
    Well I've gotten my texts backed up to Gmail, its trying to Link my google contacts with my facebook contacts that's the problem now. I haven't found a way of backing that up yet.

If you set up your google account first, the set up your facebook one in settings > accounts and sync they should all link automatically. I had a bit of trouble with it on 3g, but it works perfectly on wifi. I've flashed a good few times and it has worked every time. There are a few people who have different names on facebook to how I have them on Google, but manually linking 5 or 6 is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

L'prof wrote: »

If you don't know what rooting is or what it involves then you shouldn't be doing it. At least not withtout reading up on the potential problems. I only started another thread on this yesterday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984808

People are just rooting their devices and running all sorts of apps with root privileges without stopping to think what those apps could do on their device,

steal contact information - spam those contacts
    replace existing apps with ones that can log your key presses and steal details like your credit card or bank info etc .

mathew wrote: »
    Yep. Its very easy to do. Great guide here. You can install many apps that require root access, access paid apps, apply the sdcard lag fix, use an ad blocker, take screenshots, install the froyo gallery. Many things. Google the benefit of rooting.

Cool, the girlfriend nearly bought on today. Think we'll get it tomorrow.

If you don't know what rooting is or what it involves then you shouldn't be doing it. At least not withtout reading up on the potential problems. I only started another thread on this yesterday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984808

People are just rooting their devices and running all sorts of apps with root privileges without stopping to think what those apps could do on their device,

steal contact information - spam those contacts
    replace existing apps with ones that can log your key presses and steal details like your credit card or bank info etc .

I have a fair idea what rooting is and does in general, I was just wondering what the benefits were on the Galaxy S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

All,

I am getting desperate and really need some help. About a week ago I started getting "download unsuccessful" from The Market and despite contacting Vodafone Data Support and Samsung smartphone support neither have been able to help me and neither accept responsibility for the "The Market App" as it's not theirs. In fairness Vodafone provide the network and I'm able to use the internet, get emails etc but I was disappointed with Samsungs 'support' as they really weren't interested as it was a Samsung app.

I'm able to download apps from the Samsung app site no problem but every single app I try and download or update from The Market fails to download.

What's happening is a follows:-

- I open The Market as normal and select an app to download.
    - The Market App shows me the summary of the app and the two screen shots, reviews etc
    - I click the install button and it displays the screen informing you what the app will have access to etc
    - I click "OK" and the appreturns to the homepage with a notification that "your item will be downloaded".
    - The little download icon with the red arrow appears in the top notification bar
    - When I roll down the notification bar there is a notification saying "download unsuccessful"

This happens for every single app I've tried to download over the past week and it's doing my head in.

I thought it might be because I have too many apps downloaded or my storage was full but I don't think that can be the case. My external 8gb SD card is indeed full but I don't expect that's where apps are downloaded to and it only filled up yesterday when I took a few movies in amazing HD!!! The internal SD card is reporting 5.67gb of abailable space and the internal phone storage is reporting 1.64 in available space.

I also tried deleting a few previously downloaded apps in case I'd reached some sort of limit but that didn't make any difference either.

So that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? I looked at this support thread (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=3429edcf82450530&hl=en&start=120) and it seems people have been having this exact problem the world over on all kinds of different Android phones for ages and no one has a solution!!

I bought the Galaxy based on the package of hardware and software they advertised i.e. "access to over 80,000 apps on The Market". I am not getting access to those apps and despite this being a known issue for over a month no one has identified why some people experience this problem or come up with a solution so am I entitled to a refund and/or replacement at my discretion?

I bought the Galaxy from the Carphone Warehouse, does anyone know what they are like support wise for issues like this?

I'd much prefer to get The Market app back working but if I can't I'm seriously tempted to ditch Android and switch to you know who!!!

Ben

Have you tried a factory reset as a last resort? I saw a few threads with one or two people claiming it sorted the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Market is port blocked with some networks (O2 last I checked). Does it work with wifi? In the UK vodafone have a wierd age confirmation thing that you gotta do before you get proper internet (unblocked), maybe this is blocking market? Haven't used vodafone here. Might need to go to vodafone website and login, then use credit card (no charge) to confirm age. Webpages etc will work so it may not appear to be restricted.

Pretty sure it's vodafone you should be ringing, not samsung or carphone warehouse.

I installed the I9000XXJP3 firmware last night. Much better than the one it shipped with. The lag seems to be gone completely and so are the other stability issues I was having.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoinc

Did you have to haggle to get that price? Website says E159 for smart35

zoinc wrote: »
    Did you have to haggle to get that price? Website says E159 for smart35

I was expecting to pay €159 as i seen it online before i went to the shop for it and was pleasantly surprised when i got it for €100

EDIT: meant to say i'm on smart 35 too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BenEadir wrote: »
    All,

I am getting desperate and really need some help. About a week ago I started getting "download unsuccessful" from The Market and despite contacting Vodafone Data Support and Samsung smartphone support neither have been able to help me and neither accept responsibility for the "The Market App" as it's not theirs. In fairness Vodafone provide the network and I'm able to use the internet, get emails etc but I was disappointed with Samsungs 'support' as they really weren't interested as it was a Samsung app.

I'm able to download apps from the Samsung app site no problem but every single app I try and download or update from The Market fails to download.

What's happening is a follows:-

- I open The Market as normal and select an app to download.
    - The Market App shows me the summary of the app and the two screen shots, reviews etc
    - I click the install button and it displays the screen informing you what the app will have access to etc
    - I click "OK" and the appreturns to the homepage with a notification that "your item will be downloaded".
    - The little download icon with the red arrow appears in the top notification bar
    - When I roll down the notification bar there is a notification saying "download unsuccessful"

This happens for every single app I've tried to download over the past week and it's doing my head in.

I thought it might be because I have too many apps downloaded or my storage was full but I don't think that can be the case. My external 8gb SD card is indeed full but I don't expect that's where apps are downloaded to and it only filled up yesterday when I took a few movies in amazing HD!!! The internal SD card is reporting 5.67gb of abailable space and the internal phone storage is reporting 1.64 in available space.

I also tried deleting a few previously downloaded apps in case I'd reached some sort of limit but that didn't make any difference either.

So that's my problem. Anyone got any ideas? I looked at this support thread (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=3429edcf82450530&hl=en&start=120) and it seems people have been having this exact problem the world over on all kinds of different Android phones for ages and no one has a solution!!

I bought the Galaxy based on the package of hardware and software they advertised i.e. "access to over 80,000 apps on The Market". I am not getting access to those apps and despite this being a known issue for over a month no one has identified why some people experience this problem or come up with a solution so am I entitled to a refund and/or replacement at my discretion?

I bought the Galaxy from the Carphone Warehouse, does anyone know what they are like support wise for issues like this?

I'd much prefer to get The Market app back working but if I can't I'm seriously tempted to ditch Android and switch to you know who!!!

Ben

All, the guys over on XDA (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656) confirmed the solution is as follows:

- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage App > Options > Filter > All
    Clear the cache for:
    - Download manager
    - Market
    - Market Updater

Shut down then turn on your phone, and try to use the market. This did the trick for me but if for some reason it doesn't work for you then apparently the alternative is to do the following:

- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage App >
    If you see there an app called market; uninstall it. It is just an update don't worry you will be able to use is after it.

I haven't done the latter so do so at your own risk. I can say the former worked a treat.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoinc

I was expecting to pay €159 as i seen it online before i went to the shop for it and was pleasantly surprised when i got it for €100

EDIT: meant to say i'm on smart 35 too

That's great.Do you mind if I ask you which store you went to or do you think it's that way in all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

I went into CPW in Rathmines and it's 99 euro on Meteor at either the 30 euro / 18 month or 35 euro / 12 month plan.

I'm pretty much convinced to get one, I have an iPhone 3G and was looking at the iPhone 4 but this phone looks like a contender, and at a lower cost.

The only thing I'm getting from my research is that the phone is slightly laggy out of the box (on 2.1) but a root/flash to 2.2 JP3 (still learning the lingo) seems to work a treat. Also it seems relatively easy to go to JP3.

Is there anything wrong with my logic? If not I'm going to grab one tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

I flashed it to I9000XXJP3, but had to switch back to I9000XXJP2 to get the Adobe Flash working.. Can anyone confirm if Adobe Flash 10.1 works on the latest firmware - I9000XXJP3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just got my galaxy on sat for 130 on 02 advance 150 silver upgrade in cpw.

Total newbie here so any advice what should be downloaded etc.

Also is there another app for the maps instead of google maps?
    Does sky sports have a match centre app?

wil be glue to this forum now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I got my SGS last week and have been playing with it since then. I am very happy with it, though I agree that the battery life can be quite short with intensive use - not surprising considering the screen size and many CPU intensive stuff that you can do.

I am on O2, new sub, Advance 150.

I haven't rooted it yet.

As for favourite apps so far:

Tools:
    - Eircom WEP (to test the security of MY home network, of course :D )
    - PAW server - control and enter text into you SGS from a PC over a web interface (it is still being developed, but neat)
    - Android VNC - control your PC from your phone
    - Network Info
    - Battery Indicator
    - Vingo Voice - really cool voice control. e.g, say "TEXT Mary Let's go to the movies" and all you have to do is press send
    - Call Meter NG - keep an eye on your usage
    - ES Task Manager
    - ES File Explorer
    - Astro (file manager)
    - DynDNS - though I didn't get it to work over O2 due to proxy (?)

Comms & Social
    - K2 - send webtext from your mobile account for free
    - Social hub
    - Talk (Google)
    - Four Square
    - Yelp
    - Twitter

Media
    - Gallery (pre-installed)
    - .podcast
    - Listen
    - XBMC Remote (you need XBMC on your PC, of course)
    - SqueezeDroid (if you have a Squeezebox)
    - Dublin traffic
    - TV Guide
    - Photo Illusion

Shopping
    -Barcode Scanner
    - Pkt Auctions (Ebay)

Maps & Nav
    - Maps (pre installed)
    - Yelp
    - Goggles
    - Latitude
    - Places
    - Navigation

Other
    - IMDB
    - Bubble
    - Wifi Analyzer
    - GPS status
    - GDocs (Google Docs)

I am trying out a few other ones, but no feedback worth sharing yet.

What about you, what are your favourites?

The apps Im using the most are:
    Acast podcast app
    Mixzing player
    Touiteur. , excellent Twitter app
    Home switcher
    Open home
    Home pipe for accessing my home pc or Mac from anywhere.
    One click contact
    Cabbage for sending webtexts.

Is vingo voice a paid app?
    I'll have to swap sims again if so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Is there any app that allows you to make calls over wifi similar to Skype?

Advertisement