Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Mills 6 points up in injury time.
    Hon Da Fireballs !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

4Ad wrote: »
    Mills 6 points up in injury time.
    Hon Da Fireballs !

That’s a great win for them and once again Inamona come up short. Lots of talent in the squad but not producing it when matters.

Ballyea and the bridge loving all this. You would have to thing the winner will come from them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That’s a great win for them and once again Inamona come up short. Lots of talent in the squad but not producing it when matters.

Ballyea and the bridge loving all this. You would have to thing the winner will come from them.

That means that they'll meet in the semi finals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

How was the Clare Gaa TV coverage of todays games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

How was the Clare Gaa TV coverage of todays games?

grand no real problems since week 1 in the championship to be fair

• Advertisement

Any semi final draw in the hurling??

Can eire og and feakle play this weekend coming now that eire og don’t have the football to play??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Draw is on tomorrow night for the football, Eire Og are up next weekend against Feakle

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1297983680997142528?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The Semi final draw will be interesting. If Sixmilebridge and Fireballs draw each other it would be really interesting for the people in both parishes 9around Kilkishen and Kilmurry..The Bridge are used to playing other border parishes but rarely play the Mills.
    Ballyea look very strong. They'd be my favourites so far. Good panel. If Eire Og and the Mills draw each other it would be good for the championship to have a relative under dog in the final. I dont know how good the standard is overall. The games seem very competitive and touch is good. The intensity might not be top notch though. Sixmilebridge getting trounced by Ballygunnar last year at home means there's a caveat over the standard in Clare at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The Semi final draw will be interesting. If Sixmilebridge and Fireballs draw each other it would be really interesting for the people in both parishes 9around Kilkishen and Kilmurry..The Bridge are used to playing other border parishes but rarely play the Mills.
    Ballyea look very strong. They'd be my favourites so far. Good panel. If Eire Og and the Mills draw each other it would be good for the championship to have a relative under dog in the final. I dont know how good the standard is overall. The games seem very competitive and touch is good. The intensity might not be top notch though. Sixmilebridge getting trounced by Ballygunnar last year at home means there's a caveat over the standard in Clare at the moment.

Mills have momentum.
    Ballyea are abit unknown yet. Kimaley without a regular goalie were badly weakened so it's hard ot judge. A few other injurises didn't help.
    Bridge are always good.
    Feakle/Eire Og. who know. Feakle will get in your face and hurl away and have more hurling than they get credit for. . Eire Og are very effective and have talent.

Haven't seen many games this year but to me Ballyea and the Bridge seem to be well ahead of everyone else by a lot of the Ballyea lads will be playing football as well they might run out of steam playing week after week. As Figerty says the Mills have momentum and no-one want to play them, Eire Og will have 3 weeks in a row which is a big ask for them but they seem to have gotten things right this year, Feakle are probably the worst team for them to be playing, they have a great bunch of sticky defenders and a couple of decent forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Figerty wrote: »
    Mills have momentum.
    Ballyea are abit unknown yet. Kimaley without a regular goalie were badly weakened so it's hard ot judge. A few other injurises didn't help.
    Bridge are always good.
    Feakle/Eire Og. who know. Feakle will get in your face and hurl away and have more hurling than they get credit for. . Eire Og are very effective and have talent.

Apart from two wayward puckouts the keeper did fine and certainly wasn't the difference in the sides. Kilmaley ran out of steam, Ballyea were far better at creating chances but their top men - TK and Deasy were off with the shooting and kept Kilmaley in it.
    I would argue that we know well what Ballyea bring and lack the bit of depth that SMB have. The others are a step behind I think though I haven't seen the Mills this year but were at a couple of their games last year.

Apart from two wayward puckouts the keeper did fine and certainly wasn't the difference in the sides. Kilmaley ran out of steam, Ballyea were far better at creating chances but their top men - TK and Deasy were off with the shooting and kept Kilmaley in it.
    I would argue that we know well what Ballyea bring and lack the bit of depth that SMB have. The others are a step behind I think though I haven't seen the Mills this year but were at a couple of their games last year.

He did fine in the cirucmstance. I'd agree except that goalkeeping does more than puckouts. It also limits how you play when you have a new goalie in. Your full back line has to play differently . I aggree Deasy was off form. I reckon Kelly is carry a leg. I think he sprained an ankle in the first match against Crusheen.

Running out of steam, and putting on two subs with two minutes to go is a self inflicted wound.

Bridge v eire og or feakle
    Ballyea v the mills

So bridge v feakle and then bridge v Ballyea.

Bridge v eire og or feakle
    Ballyea v the mills

So bridge v feakle and then bridge v Ballyea.

Good wind up.. Eire Og should beat Feakle but not easily.
    Mills will fancy their chances against Ballyea. Good backs unit and will be willing to graft for scores.

There's 4 good games to look forward to in the hurling now, you'd imagine that it'll be Eire Og over Feakle and then the Bridge over Eire Og and Ballyea over the Mills for a Ballyea/Bridge final that could go either way but any of those matches could be won by either side so it's a tough 1 to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I think Feakle will take the townies.
    Ballyea will have their hands full with the Mills, should be a cracker. Winners this year will earn it.

I think Feakle will take the townies.
    Ballyea will have their hands full with the Mills, should be a cracker. Winners this year will earn it.

Sixmilebridge have had an easy run so far. Id expect them to have 5 points at least to spare over Eire Og or Feakle. They are two decent teams. Eire Og have more talent but can they dig out a victory in a tight game. I doubt it.
    Ballyea v the Fireballs is interesting. Youd never know. If the Mills can keep it tight for 40 mins then its a lottery but Kelly and Co could have the game won by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Cooraclare v Miltown tonight in Kilmihill @7.00pm. Hope its not waterlogged with all the rain thats falling back this way today.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭supernova5

The club Championship in each county this year has been invigorating, there's been some great action, tightly contested games and high scoring ones.
    A very very notable feature for me has been the lack of goals scored in the Clare senior Championship to date, I think its fair to say there is no real goal poacher or major goal scoring threat operating within the Clare senior club scene.
    When you translate that over onto the Clare team and extended panel is easily seen why we're failing to feature in the business end of tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

supernova5 wrote: »
    The club Championship in each county this year has been invigorating, there's been some great action, tightly contested games and high scoring ones.
    A very very notable feature for me has been the lack of goals scored in the Clare senior Championship to date, I think its fair to say there is no real goal poacher or major goal scoring threat operating within the Clare senior club scene.
    When you translate that over onto the Clare team and extended panel is easily seen why we're failing to feature in the business end of tournaments

39 in total by the looks of this tweet https://twitter.com/ShaneLorigan/status/1299026961373843456?s=19

• Advertisement

supernova5 wrote: »

O Donnell is obviously a great goal scorer by any measure. I think he's being played too far out for Eire Og . But i agree that there is a shortage of goals. There's very little heads up hurling to see if a goal is on. Its like the easy point is the preferred option. A player in midfield and the half forward line should always be encouraged to help develop a goal chance and not take an easy point. Sixmilebridge got tanked at home last year my a team that makes and takes goals..ie Ballygunnar.
    Clare are a team that need gaols because we don't have the ability to dominate possession like Limerick can with their half forwards size and power

BloodyBill wrote: »
    O Donnell is obviously a great goal scorer by any measure. I think he's being played too far out for Eire Og . But i agree that there is a shortage of goals. There's very little heads up hurling to see if a goal is on. Its like the easy point is the preferred option. A player in midfield and the half forward line should always be encouraged to help develop a goal chance and not take an easy point. Sixmilebridge got tanked at home last year my a team that makes and takes goals..ie Ballygunnar.
    Clare are a team that need gaols because we don't have the ability to dominate possession like Limerick can with their half forwards size and power

I don't know if I'd be calling him a great goal scored by any measure, yes he is a good man to finish a chance but he doesn't have a great track record, it can be said that he's more a target man/2 man full forward line, etc. etc., but his goal scoring record since 2013 is:
    2014 - No goal
    2015 - 1 goal against Offaly
    2016 - 1 goal against Laois
    2017 - 2 goals against Limerick
    2018 - 1 goal against Galway
    2019 - 1 goal against Cork

That's not a great return in my opinion.

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd be calling him a great goal scored by any measure, yes he is a good man to finish a chance but he doesn't have a great track record, it can be said that he's more a target man/2 man full forward line, etc. etc., but his goal scoring record since 2013 is:
    2014 - No goal

It's probably as good as we have at the moment.
    I think Jamsie O'Connor scored 1 goal in his championship carreer, and he didn't spend most of hit chasing two full backs! I think you may be overlooking his ability to create also. With Eire Og, he is very far out the field.

It's probably as good as we have at the moment.
    I think Jamsie O'Connor scored 1 goal in his championship carreer, and he didn't spend most of hit chasing two full backs! I think you may be overlooking his ability to create also. With Eire Og, he is very far out the field.

Jamesey wasn't touted as being a good goal scorer and didn't play corner forward

Jamesey wasn't touted as being a good goal scorer and didn't play corner forward

I'm well aware of that, but when you look at stats, then you have to look at the broader picture.

I'm well aware of that, but when you look at stats, then you have to look at the broader picture.

He was called a great goal scorer and I dont think he is so I looked at his goal scoring record which isn't great in my opinion, he doesn't have a great overall scoring record in fact.

The excuses that are used for him are 2 man full forward line, bad ball, ball winner role, playing out the field, wins frees, etc etc which are all fair enough but I wouldn't call him a great goal scorer.

2014 - No goal

In 2013 he scored 6 goals, so in 1 season he scored as many goals as he did in the following 6 seasons

O Donnell is one of Clares best 6 forwards of all time. He's better than Sparrow, way more of a team player. He's a great creator and brings others into the game. If he was in a better Eire Og or Clare team we'd see his real value.

We're all entitled to our opinions, I think himself and Kelly are living on their reputations from 2013 and haven't lived up to their potential, then again it's hard to know where to go after scoring 3-3 in an All Ireland final or being Young and Senior Player of the Year.

• Advertisement

He was called a great goal scorer and I dont think he is so I looked at his goal scoring record which isn't great in my opinion, he doesn't have a great overall scoring record in fact.

The excuses that are used for him are 2 man full forward line, bad ball, ball winner role, playing out the field, wins frees, etc etc which are all fair enough but I wouldn't call him a great goal scorer.

You could say he is a scorer of great goals..

Advertisement