Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

circadian wrote: »
    Is anyone doing any work anymore? May as well just send everyone home.

Practice for working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open... and feast on the goo inside?

yes Kent! I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

Dublin Bus drivers still cramming people in like coffin ships during rush hour this morning.

Someone should tell them to chill on that.

Those buses are germ factories at the best of times.
    I'm glad I live within walking distance from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

NIMAN wrote: »
    I missed the Claire Byrne Show the other night, but I assume this is the transcript of the conversation she had with the infected patient?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0310/1121355-coronavirus-patient-claire-byrne-live/

It really does sound like he's grand, not what the media or her show would like. Not sensational enough!

Jesus wept. Not everyone is going to be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open... and feast on the goo inside?

It's aksed in every new thread and the answer is always yes Kent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

https://mobile.twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1237710034987089921

"spoke to the family of four who are in self-isolation at home following one member, the father/husband, being in contact with a confirmed case of the virus last week.

The man, who is a member of the gardaí, was instructed by his workplace to self-isolate after coming into contact with a later-confirmed case of the virus last Tuesday, March 2."

Garda info are giving wrong information.

That's not like them at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

The drivers are forcing people on?

People where having to "squeeze in" to even allow the doors to open to let one more person on my bus yesterday.

Silly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

rameire wrote: »
    29-Feb 1
    01-Mar 0 1
    02-Mar 0 1
    03-Mar 1 1
    04-Mar 4 2
    05-Mar 7 6
    06-Mar 5 13
    07-Mar 1 18
    08-Mar 2 19
    09-Mar 3 21
    10-Mar 10 24
    11-Mar 90 billion 34

It's the same curve as China, Italy and the rest of them. Starts slow, then picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Part VI and the country is still only in Phase 1 of the outbreak...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Right - so I was on here a week ago saying flights should have been cancelled to and from northern Italy weeks ago.
    But the science experts advising the government said nah tis grand.
    Now all our cases are linked directly or indirectly to travel to Italy. 34 cases and growing, more today, tomorrow and the day after.

Whose the genius here?

That's not to mention HSE advice on their website that you didn't need to isolate once you returned from northern Italy, you can continue your normal routine including going to work. You call that expert scientific advice?

The difference here which you fail to understand is I follow and advocate best practice - the Chinese model. Our government follow worst international practice.

You don't have to be a scientific genius to recognise this.

Basic cop on is what is required - badly missing in our government who are clueless.

In summary I advocate following the successful Chinese model. You are still clinging to the failed Italian model which they were forced to abandon because it didn't work. Our government also continue to follow the failed Italian model. We all know how that ended up. Disaster.

So no actual suggestions relating to the few issues that I came up with off the top of my head with your policy just in relation to schools?
    Didn’t think so.

It’s very easy to make sweeping statements about what you think we should do - the clever people have to manage the fallout from those decisions.

And if you knew anything about human factors, you’d realise that what worked for the Chinese will not work for us. For all kinds of reasons that have been explored in part on the thread. But you seem to think that martial law is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

All the people wanting everything to be cancelled, it’s now in human populations around the world, it isn’t going to disappear. There is no point shutting everything down for a month and crippling the economy (which inhibits funding of research, treatments and other functions of society that keep a society functioning) only for it to reappear in June. There is also a limit on how long you can feasibly expect to properly control population to that extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Those buses are germ factories at the best of times.
    I'm glad I live within walking distance from work.
    With that username I for one am not....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Another import from Egypt, an Egyptian man has tested positive at an airport in Saudi Arabia.
    It is likely there is significant community transmission occurring in Egypt and would imply that this virus thrives in warm climates as well as cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

eldamo wrote: »
    the guy who sits behind me in work is just back from madrid.

someone in the office raised it to the office manager that they were worried about him.

my boss refused to send him home, we go off an alert list from the robert koch institute to decide how bad an area is.

he isn't feeling well

has a doctors appointment at 1pm.

IT'S HAPPENING!

If this isn't BS, I'd be getting out of there asap and decontaminating myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

eldamo wrote: »
    the guy who sits behind me in work is just back from madrid.

someone in the office raised it to the office manager that they were worried about him.

my boss refused to send him home, we go off an alert list from the robert koch institute to decide how bad an area is.

he isn't feeling well

has a doctors appointment at 1pm.

IT'S HAPPENING!
    What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.

FFS...He obviously has some if he has a doctors appointment at 1pm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Has anyone got a timeline for Ireland’s cases?

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

505267.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

People where having to "squeeze in" to even allow the doors to open to let one more person on my bus yesterday.

Silly stuff.

I know it's not much of a choice when you need to get where you're going, but people are choosing to squeeze into rammed buses.

The drivers only drive them, they don't make anyone get on.

Personal responsibility is key - especially going forward, people need to make choices based on what's best for them, and those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If this isn't BS, I'd be getting out of there asap and decontaminating myself!

Realistically you’re going to get it anyway. It’s not Ebola. Most people will be fine and won’t even need hospital treatment. I think this is what will happen, we’ll just come to live with it and Will just be a new normal after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.

Ah now, P. This isn’t some strong “wind” or a bit of snow where people are trying to skive off for a day on the couch.

I get pissed off with “martyrs” coming in with a bad cold, or flu, at the best of times and this is one bad flu I don’t want to get.

Then the fact he’s going to a doctor’s appointment when the “recommended route” is to call the GP and “self isolate”.

I’d be looking at “disciplinary” action against that lad on his return to work.

Knowing endangering the entire office, and, more importantly, it’s efficiency has to be covered under some HR “policy”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

All the people wanting everything to be cancelled, it’s now in human populations around the world, it isn’t going to disappear. There is no point shutting everything down for a month and crippling the economy (which inhibits funding of research, treatments and other functions of society that keep a society functioning) only for it to reappear in June. There is also a limit on how long you can feasibly expect to properly control population to that extent.

You fool, what are you telling us for?

Get this info to the guys and decision makers up top, their consultants are obviously out of the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

the HSE can't handle this, we have to shut down and bring numbers back to a manageable standard as it is now in Wuhan. Even the red zones in Italy are already showing a decline in new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

FFS...He obviously has some if he has a doctors appointment at 1pm!!!

Sorry, didn't see that part quoted in "Emmet's" post.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wikipedia is updated regularly for most countries and is accurate enough
    4d118ee8fa03ffd450847e63430043a9927b8d05.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

With all this "Wuhan handshake', and "don't touch your face", what's the new, safe version of a facepalm? We're gonna need one.

Italy’s numbers today will be interesting, they dropped dramatically yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Part VI and the country is still only in Phase 1 of the outbreak...

We are most definitely in phase 2.

Phase 1 was a farce - contact tracing is no longer possible, anyone who says so is fooling themselves. Just look at the first case in Cork. They were only a handful of cases in and they are already mystified how he got it. Which means there's a person walking around with the virus that no-one knows about.

When you fail at phase 1, best to move on to phase 2, which is delay. Delay means closing schools and unis, cancelling all sports events and so on. The quicker they move to this the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

We can't let the media's stories about reality lead the agenda.

How about a segment on the six one about some lucky trader who's making a killing off gouging fake masks and hand sanitizer.

So many feel good moments being buried by the negativity.

I think they did that alright

Also the Lincoln Squirrel has been Assassinated

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Has anyone got a timeline for Ireland’s cases?

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

Yes, this was my version from yesterday!

Ireland - 27th February Zero cases here in the ROI.

On the 1st of March 2020 the1st case of Covid-19 was recorded here in Ireland (ROI) by the HSE.

Trajectory from 1st of March . . . .

1, 6, 13, 19, 21, 24, 34, (. .), (. .), . . .

34 cases recorded as of today, Tuesday 11th March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Italy’s numbers today will be interesting, they dropped dramatically yesterday.

Spain's also, they went the other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement