Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Should we be seeing some of the early cases near the recovery stages?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Turkey has confirmed its first case of the coronavirus.

Turkey's tourism sector, which accounts for about 13% of its economy, stepped up calls on the government for financial help to deal with the expected negative impact of the outbreak.

Health Minister Fahrettin Koca confirmed that a Turkish man with a high fever and cough had been diagnosed as having the virus and had been isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

circadian wrote: »
    Is anyone doing any work anymore? May as well just send everyone home.

If by work you mean spending the day on the couch with the laptop open on this thread, then yes, working very hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Tordelback wrote: »
    Over and over again I see people responding with incredulity about worst-case estimates, as if the number itself is inconceivable, that someone is pulling a fast one somehow. I honestly think it's because people are atrocious at working out percentages.

A very small percentage of a very large number is still a very large number. Even an optimistic 1% mortality rate against a minimal 10% of the population infected is 4,500 deaths and 90,000 hospital admissions - with the enormous impact that would have on every other medical issue.

These are simple, basic calculations. Incredulity isn't going to help.

The 1% figure is likely a way overestimation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

eldamo wrote: »
    the guy who sits behind me in work is just back from madrid.

someone in the office raised it to the office manager that they were worried about him.

my boss refused to send him home

This is how it “spreads”, stupidity. Utter stupidity.

What was that clown thinking turning up to work after returning from a place “riddled” with the virus?

He’ll be the type to go to the hospital next instead of just staying in bed. Old people, and those with underlying “conditions”, will die because of morons like this taking up valuable bed space.

Idiots are the biggest danger to our society.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I am still quite positive about it all

Are you whistling in the dark cos you're scared ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Tordelback wrote: »
    Over and over again I see people responding with incredulity about worst-case estimates, as if the number itself is inconceivable, that someone is pulling a fast one somehow. I honestly think it's because people are atrocious at working out percentages.

A very small percentage of a very large number is still a very large number. Even an optimistic 1% mortality rate against a minimal 10% of the population infected is 4,500 deaths and 90,000 hospital admissions - with the enormous impact that would have on every other medical issue.

These are simple, basic calculations. Incredulity isn't going to help.

Its not incredulity.
    We have hard facts from various countries who are in different stages of the epidemic.

We have a window to act. But that window is closing.

We also have a worse healthcare system then Italy in terms of resources.

People here are focuisng on the small mortality rates in places like South korea and Germany.
    But they fail to release that if the health system becomes overwhelmed the mortality rate will jump as there wont be enough resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Has anyone got a timeline for Ireland’s cases?

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's 2 sides to every story.

This guy has the virus too. Can't discount his story.

For every person who is ill in ICU, there are many more who have the virus and are not bad.

We can't let the media scare stories lead the agenda.

Have a look at the multiple testimonies from health workers in northern Italy. These are not media scare stories. There are literally people being left to die because of the strain on the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Theres definitely going to be an African element in all of this, someone mentioned Egypt being the cause of some tourists getting invected.

African elephant in the room as it were

• Advertisement

What was that clown thinking turning up to work after returning from a place “riddled” with the virus?

He’ll be the type to go to the hospital next instead of just staying in bed. Old people, and those with underlying “conditions”, will die because of morons like this taking up valuable bed space.

Welcome in E

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ipso wrote: »
    Should we be seeing some of the early cases near the recovery stages?

Well we had the one guy who recovered. But the various tracker websites aren't showing that.

I wonder in total how many Irish people, children and adults, were in Northern Italy at midterm. I know some 4th years in my kids school were, including a teacher I met at the PT meeting the week after... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

touts wrote: »
    Rugby. In the public interest we are postponing our biggest games until later in the year.

Soccer. In the public interest we will play international games behind closed doors.

Formula 1. In the public interest we will cancel races.

Horse Racing. Screw you! This doesn't hurt our horses. Just give us your money.

All sports events from International sport down to an U10 blitz need to be cancelled from this weekend on.
    Mixing of crowds and players one reason.
    But most important reason is we don't need our ED staff treating Johnny who was concussed in a game between Clonglowes and Blackrock, or Mary who fractured a finger playing camogie. There are much more important things than sport at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’m currently in a Mc Donald’s in a provincial town. Place is empty. Myself and 2 other customers.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The 1% figure is likely a way overestimation though.

It's not. If services get overwhelmed and there are no ICU beds then people who could be saved die. It's happening right now in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.

That's the problem, at least 1 in 10 are idiots, it's a lot of infection spreaders.

Add that to the Cheltenham crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Dublin Bus drivers still cramming people in like coffin ships during rush hour this morning.

Someone should tell them to chill on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open... and feast on the goo inside?

Thanks, reminds me it's almost time of year for Cadbury Creme Eggs.

• Advertisement

Theres definitely going to be an African element in all of this, someone mentioned Egypt being the cause of some tourists getting invected.

African elephant in the room as it were

Nah, i'm thinking the travellers.....Sorry different thread

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's 2 sides to every story.

This guy has the virus too. Can't discount his story.

For every person who is ill in ICU, there are many more who have the virus and are not bad.

We can't let the media scare stories lead the agenda.

We can't let the media's stories about reality lead the agenda.

How about a segment on the six one about some lucky trader who's making a killing off gouging fake masks and hand sanitizer.

So many feel good moments being buried by the negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Somebody suggested in Part V that RTE replace the Angelus @6pm with the daily Covid figures!

Currently we stand @34 cases, wiith the UK on 373 confirmed Covid-19 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

29-Feb 1
    01-Mar 0 1
    02-Mar 0 1
    03-Mar 1 2
    04-Mar 4 6
    05-Mar 7 13
    06-Mar 5 18
    07-Mar 1 19
    08-Mar 2 21
    09-Mar 3 24
    10-Mar 10 34
    11-Mar 90 billion 34

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.

You're always a year behind. You can transfer the virus for at least 24 hours showing no symptoms.

Are you playing up to the image of the muck savage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Dublin Bus drivers still cramming people in like coffin ships during rush hour this morning.

Someone should tell them to chill on that.

The drivers are forcing people on?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

flynnlives wrote: »
    Some real heads in the sand on this thread.

In UCHG there are only 10 icu beds.

If 200 people get infected in Galway 5% of those will need critical care and boom! just like that there is no more icu beds.
    There are now 50 cases on the Island.

But sure lets wait and see! It will be grand!

WAKE THE **** UP FFS!

And it's not like all the ICU beds are just lying idle...people are regularly stuck in regional hospitals waiting for these beds to become free!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Naggdefy wrote: »
    That's the problem, at least 1 in 10 are idiots, it's a lot of infection spreaders.

Add that to the Cheltenham crowd.

No idiot that attended Cheltenham should be treated just lock them all in one room.

Stick on some old races and leave them be. Dont deserve to have resource wasted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I’m currently in a Mc Donald’s in a provincial town. Place is empty. Myself and 2 other customers.
    That is bleak it's like an intro to a really depressing Louis Theroux documentary or a ken loach film.

Maybe go somewhere half decent for food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Realistically, the virus was just a news piece up to a few weeks ago. Most people have to get on with their lives, grinding to a halt while the rest of the world moves outside is not in our nature. Unless the moment comes where we are given clear warnings then I don’t begrudge people. There should have been a pledge with Varadkar addressing the nation for people to not go to Cheltenam or go to work if the situation is that serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement