Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part IV - 19 cases in ROI, 7 in NI (as of 7 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Wow people are still saying its a flu. Just the same as the flu. Oh people die of the flu lets not worry or plan in the slightest.

The people who are dying from this is in addition to flu or any other illness. It's not instead of.

Lets just do nothing because people die of the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'm thinking we could be a fair bit higher. I'll say 25-30. That community transmission in Cork plus the Doctor in Limerick indicates that we could be at 60 or 70 come Monday

Yeah the pattern is similar in most counties. We’ve probably reached the critical mass whereby the total number of cases starts to grow exponentially. By the end of next week we’ll have over 100 (how many depends on whether we start testing more seriously or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Serious and Critical Cases have dropped down 2 % in 3 days to 15%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    it's a mystery to me that anyone would buy one!
    FFS fingers, coughs, snots all over them.
    So what? Other than over prescription of antibiotics in young kids, one of the big reasons for more and more walking around chuffing inhalers allergic to their own shadows is down to too damned many clean freak OCD parents covering their little darlings and their surroundings in dettol. Christ, I know one eejit who has to wear ickle gloves to put petrol in his car in case of "germs". Live a little FFS.
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I have been listening to so much hysteria about this at this stage I nearly hope I get the fecking thing to give my head a break. 3 people in my office alone got so wound up about it they had panic attacks, one properly fainted - ambulances had to be called. I was listening to some fella from the HSE praise the media for being "so responsible" during this thing - what!? They have been gleefully whipping people into mass hysteria since the virus was first heard of. Newstalk in particular have been breathless about it.

Lads, wash your hands after having a sh*te, cough into your elbow, if you feel sick ring the doctor instead of going to work. All stuff we should be doing any other day. If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

It's not the zombie apocalypse ffs.
    +1000. But the Mob tends towards panic and hysterics in the face of something they barely understand and the media will whip them up to even more hysterics to sell ads and clicks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If the governments say its gonna spread anyway whats the point in shutting anything down,just let it run through the population and be done.

Its up to everyone to protect themselves and their families,if they wanna self isolate but if you don't care about catching it,you should be free to go wherever its madness.

The hospitals can’t cope with so many becoming critically ill all at once, they are trying to stagger out the infection, so as we can sort of take turns at getting it.

• Advertisement

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.

Amazing that you still have to explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

flynnlives wrote: »
    thats incorrect.

They expect 50% off all cases in the outbreak to occur in those 3 weeks. And 90% over 6 weeks.

They dont mean 50% of all people will get it.

i heard this from the uk, but sure how can anyone predict those figures? bit airy fairy no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My big worry is my company realise how little work actually gets done in the office and they realise everything important can get done by a skeleton crew working from home
    So like most jobs then? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If the governments say its gonna spread anyway whats the point in shutting anything down,just let it run through the population and be done.

Its up to everyone to protect themselves and their families,if they wanna self isolate but if you don't care about catching it,you should be free to go wherever its madness.

The spreading has been severely curtailed in Wuhan with a shutdown, it can be done.

I don't know where to begin with the idea of sacrificing the most old and feeble 2-3% of our population because some people are feeling inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Wibbs wrote: »
    So what? Other than over prescription of antibiotics in young kids, one of the big reasons for more and more walking around chuffing inhalers allergic to their own shadows is down to too damned many clean freak OCD parents covering their little darlings and their surroundings in dettol. Christ, I know one eejit who has to wear ickle gloves to put petrol in his car in case of "germs". Live a little FFS.

Huh?
    If living a little to you is chomping on a manky cake, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I have been listening to so much hysteria about this at this stage I nearly hope I get the fecking thing to give my head a break. 3 people in my office alone got so wound up about it they had panic attacks, one properly fainted - ambulances had to be called. I was listening to some fella from the HSE praise the media for being "so responsible" during this thing - what!? They have been gleefully whipping people into mass hysteria since the virus was first heard of. Newstalk in particular have been breathless about it.

Lads, wash your hands after having a sh*te, cough into your elbow, if you feel sick ring the doctor instead of going to work. All stuff we should be doing any other day. If you show sympthoms, get the netflix out, self isolate and follow the advice of the HSE. Unless a flu would kill you, this won't either.

This!!!!should be on the yellow covid 19 poster ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

cyclops999 wrote: »
    I will say a lot more but it wont be known until after 6.1 news, a full weekend to saturate public with info, and for the public to try to be reasonable on how they approach next week without panic.

yes, most likely the 9 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Logically, the cases will rise exponentially on a daily basis. However, what's important is that most who do contract it will shake it off in their stride. We owe it to our fellow citizens, who are immuno compromised, to do our best to slow the spread. Wash your hands, cough into your elbow and isolate yourself if symptomatic. Take it seriously and act responsibly. This doesn't mean buying all the jacks roll in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Downlinz wrote: »
    I think it's key people understand that it is a new reality rather than something that'll blow over after a couple of weeks.
    We can call it the annual Scourge - a large swathe of people in a state of permanent hysteria for weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

So like most jobs then? :D

Soon we’ll all be working in masks and hand gel factories, much more productive for society ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah I agree, and it seems our politicians are following the lead of the medical professionals on this one which is good. Maybe no government is a help in this situation.
    Everyone likes to bash the HSE and often with good cause, but on this issue the medical advice is coming from Health care professionals here and in Europe as well as globally. It is not simply HSE bureaucracy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    i heard this from the uk, but sure how can anyone predict those figures? bit airy fairy no?

its computer modelling based on the spread rate and any data they have gathered to date.

They aslo model other historical outbreaks and combine them with the data from the WHO.

Its pretty sophisticated. It does of course have an error rate but its largely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I think this may have already been posted but I have heard that Chinese shops and restaurants on Parnell St are closing down for three days.

Eattokyo on Talbot Street closed for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wow people are still saying its a flu. Just the same as the flu. Oh people die of the flu lets not worry or plan in the slightest.
    The people who are dying from this is in addition to flu or any other illness. It's not instead of.
    Lets just do nothing because people die of the flu.

And even if it was just another flu - it isn't, though it looks like it is less infectious but more severe - it's a numbers game.

Health services can just about cope with flu and treat the people that develop complications.
    They can't cope with another virus on top for which we don't have a vaccine.

In my head, I'm categorising this like TB pre-antibiotic era than flu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

That's what I have. That and omega3 fish oils, D3+K2 supplements along with a Zinc/Vit C/B6 chewables. Paracetamol. Get a good 8 hours sleep to keep immune system ticking over and as everyone has been saying, social distance and good hand hygiene going out and coming back home. Leave the shoes at the door.

• Advertisement

The spreading has been severely curtailed in Wuhan with a shutdown, it can be done.

I don't know where to begin with the idea of sacrificing the most old and feeble 2-3% of our population because some people are feeling inconvenienced.

ya this is something which is so annoying when i hear people talking about this. aaah sure 80% will prob be grand anyway. ya but what about the rest of people. Personally have asthma.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Huh?
    If living a little to you is chomping on a manky cake, go for it.

Yes would have thought that covering food would be basic hygiene. Seems any hygiene is wrong for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

+1000. But the Mob tends towards panic and hysterics in the face of something they barely understand and the media will whip them up to even more hysterics to sell ads and clicks.

I know one man in Iran who should be immune to this..

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_4602936?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJ-MxqEEtAeFuoYzNXF5NdaXXiSbSDIDrDQN33RppPUfia03OwZU72LkHirz2ZKM9QOSJt9CbFwRjOxeZHygY8Zijasz6ftwDzJ1k2Ncznb0ke_143WcIG27wBQj6rEV6eKHWQOwrG24VfSMJxJQrFPUMfeWCM4KizPHtVHrvg4-

flynnlives wrote: »
    its computer modelling based on the spread rate and any data they have gathered to date.

They aslo model other historical outbreaks and combine them with the data from the WHO.

Its pretty sophisticated. It does of course have an error rate but its largely accurate.

hmmm ok so maybe it is fairly correct so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

There has been 148 deaths in Italy in the past few weeks. This is way worse than the flu.
    The flu kills between 300k and 600k every year. 18k in the US in 2019 alone. No headlines.

How is corona virus worse? Genuine question. Do you think COVID-19 will have a higher death toll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Ftse drops 3.45% today so far

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

exactly!

Do these people not have parents like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

Drumpot wrote: »
    Wasn’t supposed to be about cases In Ireland just general information. Communication is still an issue if people are going to other sources for information. Saying they shouldn’t doesn’t change that.

The alternative is to just let hysteria take hold and presume telling people not to read social media bullsh*t will make any difference, which it won’t. There is an Awful lot of stupid in this thread recently....

Apologies Drumpot wasn’t a jibe at your suggestion which would be helpful just more a jibe at how we are being drip fed information that’s sometimes so out of date, yesterday’s Cork case was on the evening Echo 5 hours prior, never mind the WhatsApp messages hours before that which you don’t know if they are true or not everyone seems to have a relation somewhere that knows for certain or can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And yet not even 0.0000002% of our people have been "sacrificed".

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A reminder to everyone

It is against site rules to seek or offer any medical advice. Please do not post here about your symptoms asking what to do. Contact your doctor by telephone and they can advise you as appropriate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement